1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Terraining Contest #14 Ideas

Discussion in 'Submissions Archive' started by Chaos., Sep 2, 2011.

1. Sin'dorei300

Sin'dorei300

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Template:
    Resources:
    I propose this theme: Each participant to have to make a medieval city.

2. fladdermasken

fladdermasken

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Or like a really epic forest.

And colossi; loads of them. Fighting Lich King and Robocop.

3. ERYFKRAD

ERYFKRAD

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Maybe a terraining contest based on the interpretation of a famous line or something... I dunno, I'm shooting blind here.

4. Hevenblood

Hevenblood

Resources:
    Resources:
    I know that I am not really active these days, but you could make a terraining contest based on a song of your choice.

What i am saying, is that, for example, if you pick a blues song, then you can make the terrain have a blues feel to it.
    I guess that it could be considered like a surreal topic.

5. M0rbid

M0rbid

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Well, I planned on making this Racial Settlement since that was the everpresent theme throughout the contest discussion threads of the recent past.
    However a bit of time has passed since that, so I would like to reask, who is still in favor of this theme?

6. Its Ryan Boi

Its Ryan Boi

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    Aquatic / Underwater

7. Belgarath

Belgarath

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    blue is the mad cool
    what i like about it is that its more an underlying concept rather than the defining idea of the terrain. Thinking about the no-imports "Construction" theme, that had some truly great entries because people took the take as a concept of a constructed anything and made monsters (fuckyea monstasssss)
    it allows for more imagination and freedom of thinking and shit
    yo

8. Azurot

Azurot

Resources:
    Resources:
    Color theme

/thread

9. Keiji

Keiji

Terrain Moderator

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I would say that Racial Settlement does more that than "blue" does, but it is more than probably a matter of opinion. I'll put my vote this way:

I am in favour of Racial Settlement, and if it were to be picked I might consider joining, whereas would the other one be picked, there is a lower chance for it.

Do not mistake my last statement for being used as leverage, it is simply a statement of observatory meassurers.

10. 2-P

2-P

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I think Morbid shouldn't give so many shits about what you divas want or not.

11. Oziris

Oziris

Resources:
    Icons:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Lol.

I had an idea, how about a terrain based on a song?
    We make a poll consisting of four theme songs from each Warcraft III race. The best theme song wins gets to have terrain made based on what the song sounds like.

So for example if people voted for the Scourge theme song then we would make something that inspires us from that song, like an undead castle, yard, gloomy forest and etc. which is pretty wide open, but missing the theme will give a big penalty for example you can't make a human or night elf terrain if the Scourge theme song is picked by the vote.

Think about it.

12. Pharaoh_

Pharaoh_

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    ^ Sounds lovely and original.

13. Belgarath

Belgarath

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    not a bad idea actually, oziris. that could definitely work as well. although IMO other theme songs like the comradeship etc should be included too, love those ones, they give a good feeling

and just to clarify, i won't be joining whatever the theme. i'm not trying to get blue passed because i want to make a blue terrain, i am attempting to supply a decent theme to the others and want to see what people would make out of such a theme.
    so the whole leverage (yes, it is leverage. if you say "pick x because i will join 20% more" it's leverage even if you say it's not) thing is a bit retarded anyway because, tbh, it really shouldn't be entirely about who joins out of older members of the forums who have taken part in about 10 contests already but also about trying to get newer/other members to join because they might think, "hey, that theme is cool" or "I think I could definitely do that theme".

but i'm all for 2-P's opinion too, the caring has gone to a bit of an extreme extent and really, M0rbid should use his best judgement here especially because of the state we're at already. i mean, it's been something like 4 months since this was posted

14. M0rbid

M0rbid

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    I am going to host this within the next days, I was busy with exams recently hence the delay.
    However I decided to make this the racial settlement theme, since this was in discussion for quite a while now, still, I would like to keep the blue and music idea for the next contests, so remember them when the time is there.

15. Oziris

Oziris

Resources:
    Icons:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Awesome, I can't wait! Please do the fastest you can Morbid. :p

16. fladdermasken

fladdermasken

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Shouldn't we discuss parameters here? Does this theme encompass
    • Warcraft lore only?
    • All Blizzard franchises?
    • Any work of fiction?
    I'm not going to be too picky about it, I just want something agreed upon and jotted down before we host this. That way, when people try to pass off a patch of grass as the natural habitat of herbivore orcs with cloaking devices, we can indict guilt and sentence them to death by axe murderer.

17. Belgarath

Belgarath

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    well IMO the actual races that you CAN do will be quite limited due to the limited amount of models that there are/you can get. As long as one can visibly see what race the settlement belongs to, it should be fine - the patch of grass with the herbivorous cloaked orcs not visibly showing this would fail that check. And besides, loopholers will get eaten alive by vigilant watchers

p.s. i offer judging services if wanted

18. Keiji

Keiji

Terrain Moderator

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I'd say Warcraft lore only, not because I am a diehard Warcraft fan, but more to simply limit it to something that should be recognizable by the members of the site. And when I say "Warcraft" I do mean all of Warcraft, which to anyone ignorant enough to think there only to exist the playable races in wc1-2-3 would mean that the entire spectrum of races available for creation isn't by far as limited as you might think, but at the same time limited enough to enforce creativity in what you do.

Oh and for 2-P, we "divas" were asked to give our opinions on what the theme should be, which really just implies that he will listen to what we have to say, regardless of other opinions on the subject.

In any case, good choice and good luck.

Oh and I can agree that it could be seen upon as leverage, but it truly wouldn't be if it wasn't intended as such by the original stater of the statement, in my case it was simply thinking out loud.

19. fladdermasken

fladdermasken

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    So I guess we can settle for Warcraft lore. I don't really have anything to add.
    Witness'd.

Personally I was hoping you'd squirm an entry out, but I guess having you judge the whole thing is a fair deal. Sort of bittersweet and hard to chew, but fair.

20. fladdermasken

fladdermasken

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources: