• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Terraining Contest #14 Ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Morbid shouldn't give so many shits about what you divas want or not.

Lol.

I had an idea, how about a terrain based on a song?
We make a poll consisting of four theme songs from each Warcraft III race. The best theme song wins gets to have terrain made based on what the song sounds like.

So for example if people voted for the Scourge theme song then we would make something that inspires us from that song, like an undead castle, yard, gloomy forest and etc. which is pretty wide open, but missing the theme will give a big penalty for example you can't make a human or night elf terrain if the Scourge theme song is picked by the vote.

Think about it.

not a bad idea actually, oziris. that could definitely work as well. although IMO other theme songs like the comradeship etc should be included too, love those ones, they give a good feeling

and just to clarify, i won't be joining whatever the theme. i'm not trying to get blue passed because i want to make a blue terrain, i am attempting to supply a decent theme to the others and want to see what people would make out of such a theme.
so the whole leverage (yes, it is leverage. if you say "pick x because i will join 20% more" it's leverage even if you say it's not) thing is a bit retarded anyway because, tbh, it really shouldn't be entirely about who joins out of older members of the forums who have taken part in about 10 contests already but also about trying to get newer/other members to join because they might think, "hey, that theme is cool" or "I think I could definitely do that theme".

but i'm all for 2-P's opinion too, the caring has gone to a bit of an extreme extent and really, M0rbid should use his best judgement here especially because of the state we're at already. i mean, it's been something like 4 months since this was posted

Level 23
I am going to host this within the next days, I was busy with exams recently hence the delay.
However I decided to make this the racial settlement theme, since this was in discussion for quite a while now, still, I would like to keep the blue and music idea for the next contests, so remember them when the time is there.

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
Shouldn't we discuss parameters here? Does this theme encompass
  • Warcraft lore only?
  • All Blizzard franchises?
  • Any work of fiction?
I'm not going to be too picky about it, I just want something agreed upon and jotted down before we host this. That way, when people try to pass off a patch of grass as the natural habitat of herbivore orcs with cloaking devices, we can indict guilt and sentence them to death by axe murderer.

well IMO the actual races that you CAN do will be quite limited due to the limited amount of models that there are/you can get. As long as one can visibly see what race the settlement belongs to, it should be fine - the patch of grass with the herbivorous cloaked orcs not visibly showing this would fail that check. And besides, loopholers will get eaten alive by vigilant watchers

p.s. i offer judging services if wanted

Level 36
I'd say Warcraft lore only, not because I am a diehard Warcraft fan, but more to simply limit it to something that should be recognizable by the members of the site. And when I say "Warcraft" I do mean all of Warcraft, which to anyone ignorant enough to think there only to exist the playable races in wc1-2-3 would mean that the entire spectrum of races available for creation isn't by far as limited as you might think, but at the same time limited enough to enforce creativity in what you do.

Oh and for 2-P, we "divas" were asked to give our opinions on what the theme should be, which really just implies that he will listen to what we have to say, regardless of other opinions on the subject.

In any case, good choice and good luck.

so the whole leverage (yes, it is leverage. if you say "pick x because i will join 20% more" it's leverage even if you say it's not) thing is a bit retarded anyway because, tbh, it really shouldn't be entirely about who joins out of older members of the forums who have taken part in about 10 contests already but also about trying to get newer/other members to join because they might think, "hey, that theme is cool" or "I think I could definitely do that theme".

Oh and I can agree that it could be seen upon as leverage, but it truly wouldn't be if it wasn't intended as such by the original stater of the statement, in my case it was simply thinking out loud.

Status
Not open for further replies.