1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Terraining Challenge 2007/2008

Discussion in 'Contest Archive' started by Rui, Apr 7, 2007.

1. Jaakko

Jaakko

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    And I won't do more than what is necessary, because this competition is not life. I don't want to spend all my time making a map for a contest. I will only do what is necessary and I signed in for terrain screenshots, not mapmaking. Something that looks good in one angle looks bad in another one.
    Whatever the number would be, it should be the same for all competitors would it be one final, two, three or even seven. No more, no less. Otherwise the competition gives an advantage to them who have time to map more than others. What if somebody decides to do all month the terrain and posts 100 final screenshots? That would not be fair to anybody. And plus the more final screenshots there are the more harder it would be for anybody to decide who is worthy of a vote. With an increasing amount of final screenshots it might happen so that people woudn't bother anymore to see all of those as it would take way too much time. One final screenshot would keep the competition simple for competitors and voters. Thinking that we make a terrain for all tilesets makes quite good number of final screenshots, and I think it can be called a Terraining Challenge. (Though all of the tilesets could be easily done this summer)

2. demonsofdante

demonsofdante

Resources:
    Resources:
    The single screenshot things gonna jack up my terrain, as only a small amount can be viewed at a time through a screenshot. I hope this doesnt turn into another zephyr challenge where people donteven bother to download the map and check out the submission for themselves before placing their vote

3. Killer_Mushroom

Killer_Mushroom

Resources:
    Resources:
    I've decided to scrap the entire naval fortress idea, and start on something new. I'm planning on making an Orcish oil refinery, and several oil platforms. The wall and gate that you see will probably be replaced as well, due to its fugliness, unless I can somehow fit it in with the terrain.

Attached Files:

4. Herio-san

Herio-san

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I feel the same way as demonsofdante on this one, my terrain is huge and its impossible for me to showcase it all in one screenshot without doing Advanced - View Entire Map which would look horrible.

5. Rui

Rui

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Geez, alright then. You are limited to 3 final screenshots. You may have less if you want. But you must post 2 WIPs or more, no less.

First post edited.

6. Jaakko

Jaakko

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Alright. Then I will make three screenshots, but the map should not be used for judging. As I said what looks good from my camera looks bad from another angle. 17*3*34= A whopping 1734 final screenshots in the end of competition+Ashenvale if nobody is lazy.
    EDIT:Btw this means I can make three maps, one for each screenshot, right? Or just change the sky and time display in the same map, right?

Last edited: Jun 11, 2007
  7. Ratherion

Ratherion

Resources:
    Resources:
    I belive it would be ideal if you did one single map with 3 different times, otherwise you would have 3 different terrains, chich would be kind of harsh on all the others who don't have time to do that.

8. Herio-san

Herio-san

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Thanks for the rules edit to allow 3 screenshots :smile: Makes it much easier on us detail oriented terrainers.

9. CorDawgg

CorDawgg

Resources:
    Resources:
    Yea

That is alot better now that that is specified, I wish I would have known before I started though because I pretty much layed out an outline without doing alot of detail work, but there is still plenty of time to make good screenshots. This is a rough shot just wanted to see how a fight looked in a screenshot. Probably keep the unit fight idea just get a different area with more detail

Attached Files:

10. Chriz.

Chriz.

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    That looks like a screenshot from someone creeping in a normal melee match.

11. creyzi4zb12

creyzi4zb12

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Hey can I join? Barrens is one of my favorite tileset.

12. Rui

Rui

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    You've been added. 35 participants now. I'm glad the list keeps growing.

13. creyzi4zb12

creyzi4zb12

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    WAAH! The terraining map is so cool!! How come I never knew about it when I created my cinematic maps? There are so many doodads and things I've never seen in a normal Warcraft World Editor before.

Here is a shot ay my work. It's still far from being finished. My theme used to be irrigation, but that was before I found out about those humongous barren walls.

BTW: Can anybody state in the skies of the map. I can't seem to find any except UberCloud 1, 2 and 0.

Attached Files:

14. Numeror

Numeror

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    im in for the barrens competition

15. Rui

Rui

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    You're in!

16. creyzi4zb12

creyzi4zb12

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    rep

I give up on the fortification business. I decided to continue along with my irrigation system and not include those huge walls.

Here are my 3 2nd pics requirement for the entry, It's not done yet and there are still some buggy issues like the inadvertent roofs and the bad paste clip.

Attached Files:

17. Numeror

Numeror

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    it looks nice only with the 2e pic the terraing is very sharp. Only i have a question how do i get the models from the material list to show them in a other map. Because i get checkered green boxes in my map instead of walls.

18. Eleandor

Eleandor

Resources:
    Models:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    just download the ultimate map, then change tileset and map size

19. Rui

Rui

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Seven days left for the contest to end. About time you started finishing, people =P

20. Numeror

Numeror

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    working on it bah.