• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Techtree Contest #7 ~ The Poll

Which entry did you like the most?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
160036-albums4747-picture59500.png

160036-albums4747-picture59732.png

160036-albums4747-picture61280.png

160036-albums4747-picture59728.png

Super Unit

The contestants had to create a race centered around a "Super Unit", which could have unique functionalities, or just be super powerful (of course not forgetting balance), etc. The unit could be a hero, unit or building.
Paired teams were allowed, but they were not mandatory.

160036-albums4747-picture59734.png

Judge #1

Tip: Click on the previews to redirect yourself to the entry!

michief123

Lordkoon

Mephestrial

Level 7
I didn't vote on screenshots! Though I based mine vote on enjoyment of playing the race, rather than balance and such.

Each had aspects I really liked,

For michief123 it was the idea of having sprites that spawn into the units (though took me longer than I care to admit to work out how to control the race) as it was rather different.

For Lordkoon the spawning wisp things that heal the buildings was also a nice addition to a very good race! However, I was deforested rather quickly as a result of be distracted by those wisps! :p

For Mephestrial I really liked the idea of having the Hero that uses his base to enhance/enable some of his abilities. Such as the increase in the number of units available to be recalled. However I am aware this lacked balance as I was able to wipe out my enemy rather easily.

All three entries did look the part!

Level 8
The most silent contest I'v ever seen. No judges (fixed), no comments... people are probably voting on screenshots only...

Well, the last one was a real war...

PROS:kinda original unit training system...

CONS:No air, no ultimate unit, simple units, a female hero with man voice (Oh God Why...), ZERO hotkeys (only for root and uproot...)
, hero no ultimate ability, why is everything "greenazied"?(even letters...), no defense structure, units have ENORMOUS SHADOWS AND COLLISION, almost all units have 450 hp, and so on...

PROS:nice hero ultimate ability, original ultimate unit and its spells, nice seed idea, overall nice idea for units and structures (they still need better icons)

CONS:weak gold and lumber harvesting that makes this race weak in the beginning, ultimate unit could use some faster attack speed, it could use better fitting icons, green arrows should be on auto cast when unit is trained, only one hero, blah blah blah...

PROS:nice "packed infernal" idea, nice structure models, nice transport (still overpowered), nice "Tortured Souls",

CONS:really unoriginal units and abilities (copied demon creeps), overpowered ultimate unit=only 10 food and free (make in 5 mins and gg), that void walker destroyed my eyes..., horrible caster spells (why drain life, why fly?immolation for 360hp unit?), teleport can save any unit any time, you can go beyond food limit by summoning infernals (?), get hero a boot and bloodlust him=the end (and buy him a boot)(epic tip:if you have an undead ally he can use Unholy Frenzy to make Demon Lord EVEN MORE OVERPOWERED), only 1 air unit (which shouldn't fly...but still nice)

Overall:I expected more originality about building and harvesting...All 3 are kinda regular races with some modifications (some more some less...)...Make more than 1 hero dammit...Last contest was better...

Last edited:
Level 14
Well, the last one was a real war...

PROS:kinda original unit training system...

CONS:No air, no ultimate unit, simple units, a female hero with man voice (Oh God Why...), ZERO hotkeys (only for root and uproot...)
, hero no ultimate ability, why is everything "greenazied"?(even letters...), no defense structure, units have ENORMOUS SHADOWS AND COLLISION, almost all units have 450 hp, and so on...

PROS:nice hero ultimate ability, original ultimate unit and its spells, nice seed idea, overall nice idea for units and structures (they still need better icons)

CONS:weak gold and lumber harvesting that makes this race weak in the beginning, ultimate unit could use some faster attack speed, it could use better fitting icons, green arrows should be on auto cast when unit is trained, only one hero, blah blah blah...

PROS:nice "packed infernal" idea, nice structure models, nice transport (still overpowered), nice "Tortured Souls",

CONS:really unoriginal units and abilities (copied demon creeps), overpowered ultimate unit=only 10 food and free (make in 5 mins and gg), that void walker destroyed my eyes..., horrible caster spells (why drain life, why fly?immolation for 360hp unit?), teleport can save any unit any time, you can go beyond food limit by summoning infernals (?), get hero a boot and bloodlust him=the end (and buy him a boot)(epic tip:if you have an undead ally he can use Unholy Frenzy to make Demon Lord EVEN MORE OVERPOWERED), only 1 air unit (which shouldn't fly...but still nice)

Overall:I expected more originality about building and harvesting...All 3 are kinda regular races with some modifications (some more some less...)...Make more than 1 hero dammit...Last contest was better...

Erm. There are 2 heroes in my entry Oo. I'v probably messed the uploadings... There is the agility based and the inteligence based. Will check on it when I get home tonight.

Pharaoh_, never listen to wazzz ever again. I'm gonna get raged at when you release the results.

Also, if there will ever be a techtree contest again, I think the marking criteria should be changed to this:
Gameplay/10 - includes fun factor, innovation, and depth.
Balance/10 - includes individual balance of units (eg. if a particular unit is overpowered) and overall race balance (if the whole race can stand against a melee race)
Concept/10 - includes creativeness of the race's theme, and whether the race follows the contest theme. eg. a race with no super unit in this contest will get zero in this section.
Appearance/10 - whether the race looks good or not. Includes individual look of resources, whether the race looks coherent, and special effects othe race.

The changes I propose -
get rid of the legion. This criteria overlaps into the gameplay and balance field. If a race lacks the necessary unit roles, its gameplay and balance will already be affected. There is no need for further criterias.
get rid of originality. Gameplay should include innovation and implementation of new systems, which is basically the same as originality. Instead, add in concept.
make each field be out of /10. Gameplay should not have more points than the others, because this encourages people to create gimmicky mechanics, and ignore the balance field.

If I had started sooner my entry's balance would have been better. I spent half the time making my Shivarran model so I could have a semi-original second caster unit. The transport ability was supposed to cost mana and the Demon Lord was supposed to not be target-able with the ability, but I forgot in the end. Oh well...
Also, I lost half of my test matches to humans once they got to a Tier 3 hall, but then again I was never very good at the game.

Level 14
That druid kinda doesn't fit at all...All units, structures and Assassin are "woody" (except air) and all of a sudden a night elf druid...

That is why the subname of the hero is Night Elven ambassador. I wanted to distinquish the ancients from the elves but leave a trail of their influence whatsoever and how do they end up allied to the elves in the concept of the night elven race.

Level 8
This poll really IS silent...

If I had started sooner my entry's balance would have been better. I spent half the time making my Shivarran model so I could have a semi-original second caster unit. The transport ability was supposed to cost mana and the Demon Lord was supposed to not be target-able with the ability, but I forgot in the end. Oh well...
Also, I lost half of my test matches to humans once they got to a Tier 3 hall, but then again I was never very good at the game.

Well, Shivarran is original but she could really use some hp (upgrade should give 100hp not 40hp=better) or evasion bonus and to be melee, only way to make her endure longer is with succubus spirit link.Melee caster (mini tank)=original.Your models and models in your entry are great, but you could have changed the base units(that void walker destroyed my eyes as I said earlier, felguard, contraption), it is nice how you changed Void's frost arrows into chilling touch.Succubus could use some other spells and when flying=melee, stronger, better attack and movement speed etc.I guess if you had more time race would be more balanced.
"Time is power..."

EDIT:Shivarran model doesn't exist, so you took 67chrome skin and made a model with legs if I am right?I like it.

That is why the subname of the hero is Night Elven ambassador. I wanted to distinquish the ancients from the elves but leave a trail of their influence whatsoever and how do they end up allied to the elves in the concept of the night elven race.

I still think it is better to be 100% ancient in your race... :p

Level 8
@daverave1212 - the contest is now over and it's now time to poll ^_^

Also, everyone who only polls by the screenshots, PLAY BEFORE YOU POLL >.<

Status
Not open for further replies.