1. Triumph has risen from these uncharted shores. The 34th Modeling Contest Results are out!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Awaken what lies in the heart of your swarm. The 17th Techtree Contest has arrived!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Hive Workshop is launching its first HD modelling contest. How HD should it be?
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Check out the Staff Job Openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hive 3 Remoosed BETA - NOW LIVE. Go check it out at BETA Hive Workshop! Post your feedback in this new forum BETA Feedback.
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Techtree Contest #17 - Swarm

Discussion in 'The Arena' started by Wazzz, Feb 3, 2021.

1. Leods

Leods

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    ...When you say "done", you mean they are created by a building, or that you actual finished all these, including all heroes?

2. 7oda

7oda

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I think I'll settle down with the amount of structures available so far. Main Building, Food building, shop, altar, three unit production facilities and two buildings that will be requirements to unlock tiers and stuff and will have buffs for the surrounding units. There will be no defense towers.

There will be two units that act as half structures. 1) Gargantuan (Giant turtle thingy) which will act as a drop-off point for lumber harvesting and a melee siege unit. 2) Deep Wyrm (The serpent thingy) which will act as base defense or a powerful ranged unit if moved elsewhere.
    Both will have slow movement speed but will be compensated with fortified armor and High HP.

So far there are 8 units, including the worker and the previously mentioned half structures. The faction lacks air units (Unless changed in the future) but will have considerable means to counter enemy air units. Basic units won't need much resources to be made and will have low HP and DMG. However, when used in numbers and upgrades, they will feel much better as the game advances. The advanced units will be worth the weak start and the resources spent.

Main building will be able to curse nearby goldmines, allowing workers to gather gold akin to wisps but in a faster rate. Lumber will be normally harvested though.

I'm settled with the hero models but I'm still working on their abilities and stuff. 2 Intelligence heroes, 1 Agility and 1 strength which translates to 1 support, 2 damage dealers and 1 tank.

Attached Files:

3. Leods

Leods

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    My problem is solved. All right guys, what've we learned today? If you choose a mechanic for a part of your techtree, be loyal to it, and use it for the entire techtree. Now, my units "evolve" by a recruiting system and a very simple trigger that immediately kills them.

4. Wazzz

Wazzz

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    There's no limitation on this, it's left open for people to approach it however they want. If you want to make your own models for your own entry, that's completely fine.

It's also not a waste of time to produce your own resources during a contest, either. Many people do it to help tie things together thematically, regardless of what a contestant with a staggering zero entries so far may advise you.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2021
  5. Nemesis DSGB

Nemesis DSGB

Resources:
    Resources:
    Technically... You'd be using imports which you had time to sort and get together long before anyone else (which makes you have more time to progress than others, and have a nicer finished product. However im sure you wont be the only one (just my opinion)

6. Riki

Riki

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Not really, since I deleted all those things a long time ago, so even if I have the idea of what I'll use, I'll have to download it all again.

7. SgtWinter

SgtWinter

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Screenshot_19.png

Nisharus' Brood
    A semi-intelligent brood of Spiders led by a former Dalaran experiment, the Broodmother Nisharus.

The Brood completely defies the formula of Warcraft 3 by not having structure tiers, item shops, or Heroes. Instead you start with a Spider Nest and a Broodmother. The Broodmother will serve as both your builder unit and the unit producer, being capable of an unlimited number of different types of spiders as long as they have the resources to do so.

Gold is harvested by a Gathering Swarm, groups of little spiders that will automatically harvest gold mines around their Spider Nest for free. These spiders can however be killed, and will take a bit of time to respawn, making them quite vulnerable to harass. Lumber on the other hand is harvested by the Broodmother's Infest Tree ability. Infested trees cost Gold to make, produce food and generate lumber every 10 seconds, they also grant vision and can be upgraded to have small AI-controlled spiders defending it. Again, these Infested Trees are vulnerable and can be destroyed by the enemy.

Due to lack of Heroes (they also cannot hire from Taverns), the Brood will instead rely on levelling individual unit-types to scale further into the late-game, unlocking various evolution upgrades and increasing the overall stats of all units of the same type. Experience for these unit-types are not gained by killing units, but rather dealing damage, encouraging the player to get aggressive without worrying too muchabout losing their units.

Spiderlings will be your T1 melee unit, light, fragile and quite cheap, and they also spawn in pairs. Spiderlings do not give the enemy experience upon death, making them disposable. Spiderlings can also harvest meat from corpses, which they will then return to your Broodmother to give you Essence, a third resource that allows you to research unique upgrades AND level up your Broodmother, unlocking even more unit-types.

8. Leods

Leods

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Gosh, it looks great, but... our extraction systems are pretty similar. Just hope it doesn't affect the punctuation of any of us. I am sure we thought them by ourselves, and they got they differences after all (per example, my trees doesn't cost gold, but they destroy theirselves pretty fast). Also, I will have heroes, so I don't worry about that (I am already thinking on a system to make them respawn without an altar)

9. SgtWinter

SgtWinter

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Oh yeah I didn't even notice you had that. Looking back, it functions pretty differently to mine. Yours being an AoE and mine being more about just turning a tree into a food production structure that also generates lumber at the cost of gold. Your gold harvesting method is also pretty interesting.

10. MogulKahn

MogulKahn

Resources:
    Resources:
    Following

11. Riki

Riki

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I'm done with the models, so now I'm working on the triggers. Here is a new WIP and a short description of some of the mechanics of the race.

WIP2.PNG

The Soulstealers

The concept behind this race is about mindless undead, evil spirits with a consuming hunger for souls that leads them to behave like beasts. Their only goal is to consume any souls they can before their own hunger devours themselves.

Because of this, all of their units will lose hit points each second, so to keep them alive you must summon Overseers, who have a regeneration aura that prevents nearby Soulstealers from dying (Overseers also provide food supplies). Soulstealers also have a passive life-steal that can be improved with upgrades, making them an offensive race that relies on continuous fighting to sustain themselves.

Some Soulstealers can "devour" others to heal themselves and gain Soul Charges, enhancing their abilities. The Main building is responsible for summoning other structures, and also creates Rifts that are where the units are spawned from (much like how Zergs train units).

Other Notes:

I don't know why I always end up creating races related to "evil". Well, maybe in the next contest I will try something different. :D

The race is partially based on Kam's Lost faction mixed with my own ideas.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2021
  12. WinterSnow

WinterSnow

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Yeah, that was a mistake. Labelling them as done is pretty misleading. What it means is that I'm done working on them for now, but after finishing the buildings and upgrades I'll come back to them.

This looks pretty cool! Reminds me a bit of total annihilation.

Progress report on the Ratfolk: most of the units have been added. Added a bat rat with wings for an air unit. Just need to find a good model for the Taskmaster and come up with another air unit. Also add a third hero. I changed the Cannoneer a little bit to give it more personality. It's now called the Stink Gun and starts off only being able to damage organic units but can be upgraded to attack structures too. It now has an ability called 'Bile Bomb' which was originally for a third hero idea I had, but took out. I've added a video of the Stink Gun in action (and a little bit of the Devour ability too). I'm going to start work on the buildings and then come back and finish the units.

Attached Files:

13. Riki

Riki

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I'm not sure if my current entry really fits the Contest theme. Despite that I have continued working on it, but I am already considering changing my entry for another with which I feel more comfortable.

14. 7oda

7oda

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I can feel the same way with my murloc/sea witch servants race but oh well, can make something if needed.

15. Riki

Riki

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    New entry:

WIP1.PNG

16. 7oda

7oda

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Here's an update on my entry. I'm still undecisive on a name so I'm throwing a couple of possible names in here:

A) Underworld Minions, as they were called in the prologue campaign.
    B) Zar'jira's Servants, as the sea witch Zar'jira was the one leading them against the Darkspear and the one responsible for the death of Sen'jin and the sinking of the Darkspear Islands during the wc3 campaign.
    C) Just Murlocs as it is. Murlocs make the bulk of this faction but there are other races and elements to it.

So suggestions on the name would be helpful.
    Moving on. I attached an image of the available units (except the worker.) So going from top to bottom:

• Tier 1: Tribesman, basic melee unit. Huntsman, Basic short ranged.
    • Tier 2: Ritualist, Support spellcaster. Chanter, primary spellcaster. Gargantuan, melee siege unit and lumber drop-off point, slow.
    • Tier 3: Deep Wyrm, powerful ranged unit, slow. Coral Golem, massive melee unit.
    • Summons/Special: We have two summons (Watery Minion and Watching eye, basically a flying ward). As for the special unit (Wrathful Avatar), it can only be created through sacrificing five Ritualists. You can sacrifice ritualists through the Pillar of Sacrifice building.

I'm so far satisfied with the progress made and I think the buildings I have so far are enough. As for the units, I'm not 100% sure if I should add more, mainly being air units. Heroes are still under development, their models and icons are sorted but their abilities are still WIP.

And as for the uprooted building. It's hardcoded into the game that in order to entangle a mine, the caster unit must be rooted, so the first tier of the main building had to be given a custom enroot ability.

Let me know what you think.

Attached Files:

17. Riki

Riki

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Two more WIPS:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. 7oda

7oda

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    This looks very interesting o.o

19. lichao001486

lichao001486

Resources:
    Resources:
    Faceless One?

20. Riki

Riki

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Yep, it will be a Faceless One entry. :)