1. Head to the 33rd Modeling Contest Poll and drink to your heart's desire.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Choose your means of doom in the 17th Mini Mapping Contest Poll.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. A slave to two rhythms, the 22nd Terraining Contest is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The heavens smile on the old faithful. The 16th Techtree Contest has begun.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The die is cast - the 6th Melee Mapping Contest results have been announced. Onward to the Hive Cup!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The glory of the 20th Icon Contest is yours for the taking!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Techtree Contest #15 - Co-op Commanders [Optionally Paired]

Discussion in 'Contest Archive' started by Wazzz, May 29, 2020.

1. Footman16

Footman16

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Reforged HD Models:
    Resources:
    Don't see why not as long as proper credits are given.
    Oooh, another entry, I'll give it a go and let you know what I think :)

2. Daffa

Daffa

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    As long as the underground model is owned by Blizzard if it's RIP, I think it should be okay.

3. Ether

Ether

Resources:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Thanks > :)

@johnwar - nice choice and nice map of commander Liadrin anyways. :)

4. MyPad

MyPad

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Impressive. Gotta check that out tomorrow.

5. Footman16

Footman16

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Reforged HD Models:
    Resources:
    @johnwar So I gave it a wee preliminary playthrough and a few things stood out to me.

Pros:
    • Lady Liadrin's pretty cool, nice abilities, low hp at the start for a melee hero but its managable
    • I liked the use of the female Swordsman model/icon rather than going for the standard Blood Elf Lieutenant model :)
    • The use of custom assets is really good, love the aesthetic and feel of the race.
    • Generally speaking the Tier 1 are all well balanced and cool.
    Cons:
    • So unfortunately upon trying to cast the Sorceress' mass slow it crashed my game, also I noticed mass slow has a point target rather than an AoE target circle which is a bit strange.
    • The casters, oh boy do they look broken lol. Generally speaking you should avoid giving DD abilities to units, Blizzard rarely does it and with good reason with the only two examples I can think of being lightning shield and Aerial Shackles and even then lightning shield is different. Entangle, Flamestrike and a Phoenix with Phoenix Fire would decimate most enemy armies at T1 and T2. Chain heal on the priest with resurrection will make your armies unkillable, especially since resurrection is the adept spell. Sorceress isn't too bad, my only concern would be her adept spell, a chance to do 30 bonus damage is a lot for a caster, her spells seem to be AoE versions of the regular sorceress so arguably a stronger sorceress for roughly the same price.
    • I can't click on the Altar whilst its training a hero.
    I'm a bit disappointed my game crashed because I wanted to give you a more complete review and I feel like a lot of the races good points would come from its later units and upgrades but I think balancing will be the biggest aspect for you to take into account atm. But Good luck and I enjoyed the time I got to play them.

6. Wazzz

Wazzz

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I have no idea why you're saying finally here, you're amazingly prompt as it is :)
    It's actually pretty amazing to not only see such a popular turn out for a Techtree Contest, but to also see so many people turning in entries so early with the intent of using the rest of the time productively for fine tuning. Keep up the good work <3

Yep, both are more than acceptable :)

7. Footman16

Footman16

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Reforged HD Models:
    Resources:
    How do you download them, whenever I do it, its always in some strange format that I can't use?

8. MogulKahn

MogulKahn

Resources:
    Resources:
    I am using 1.27 version of the game, and every time I save something in this "duststorm map", I am getting errors. And every time I load it, it is written that this map was saved by another version of the World Editor.

Is it possible for me to use another map instead of this map for the contest?

9. Daffa

Daffa

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    There should be a 1.27 variant for Duststorm, check your melee folder file. The LV one might be exclusive to a recent patch.

10. MrRious

MrRious

Resources:
    Resources:
    I think the newest patches screw something up with the creeps and neutral buildings. They're displayed as blank player rather than the natural enemy. Try changing that and everything should work just fine.

11. Wazzz

Wazzz

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    The contest map is Duststorm, if you are having errors it is unlikely to be that specific map, and more likely to be a World Editor issue. If you were using a version of the map that was mismatched to the version you are using, it is unlikely it would open in the first place.

12. xYours Trulyx

xYours Trulyx

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    You know, versions have been an issue lately. The contest should decide which version the participants should use.

13. Wazzz

Wazzz

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Given it's only backwards compatibility that seems to be an issue, and not the other way around, the contest deciding which version participants use isn't that necessary. Ultimately, if there was a version decided for contests, it would likely be the latest version, which not everybody has access to. If it's a Pre-Forged version, then people with Reforged installed are unlikely to have access to it.

When it's a matter of choosing your own version, and selecting the version of the map that works for you, then it's easy enough. If there are issues persisting with your version of World Editor, that is unlikely a complication according to the contest, and more likely to be a complication around your copy of the game, which is unfortunate but can hopefully be resolved.

14. xYours Trulyx

xYours Trulyx

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Problem is non-reforged users (basically versions below 1.32+) are unable to test maps made in that version. I would have given feedback if my Warcraft is able to open all these Reforged entries.

15. Footman16

Footman16

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Reforged HD Models:
    Resources:
    Id say this is definitely a problem if people who choose to use reforged do worse just because people dont have reforged and are unwilling to get it. Those are votes reforged entrants will be potentially missing out on.

16. Wazzz

Wazzz

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Most people who vote in Public Polls tend not to play the entries anyway, and those that do often only play a select few, maybe just one.

That being said, the two Reforged entries in the previous contest took both First and Second place in the previous contest, so the public polls might be the only bad area. Which, of course, has always been the most questionable area for any Techtree Contest, but given the alternative is results being based purely upon the scoring of Judge's, it's sort of kept in as somewhat of a mediator.

17. DED1

DED1

Resources:
    Resources:
    Hey,

I'd like to join the contest. My techtree will be themed around either Anubu'arak or the non-undead Nerubian Kilix. But Nerubian anyway.

One question regarding the original post: What is the difference between the two maps above? Which one am I supposed to use? (I use the latest version of Reforged)

And an off-topic question: Is there a good skinning tutorial for Reforged somewhere on Hive Workshop or elsewhre on the internet?

18. Footman16

Footman16

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Reforged HD Models:
    Resources:
    Oh I wish there was, let's just say some of us making the intrepid steps into discovering the mystical and nightmarish world o Reforged Texture editing.

19. Wazzz

Wazzz

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Very nice to see an Anubu'arak entry, or a Kilix one, I look forward to seeing this develop. You can use either of the two maps, _lv is just the ladder version and thus likely to be the most updated, but not everybody has access to it.

Reforged skinning is a lot of trial and error at the moment, and while it's something I dabbled in myself in the previous contest I am hesitant to give any advice on it given I probably did a relatively lackluster job. The best I can suggest is either getting a .dds plugin for photoshop, if you don't have one already, or if you're like me and just couldn't get that to work then you can use GIMP to convert it to a format for use in Photoshop, or just outright use GIMP. Anything beyond that is pretty open to interpretation at this stage.

20. johnwar

johnwar

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I have a question. Is it okay to upload both the Duststorm and Duststorm_LV map?