• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Techtree Contest #13 - Coloured Mana [Optionally Paired]

Status
Not open for further replies.
thread_hive_logo-png.323627

ct_techtree-png.311501
contest-png.311487
p_hash-png.311483
1-png.311474
3-png.311476

Techtree_13_Image.png
Techtree_13_Banner.png

Based on Magic: the Gathering's coloured mana system, design a faction that represents the philosophies associated with a single colour.

White
Blue
Black
Red
Green

White3.png
Blue2.png
Black5.png
Red.png
Green3.png

White exemplifies the ideals of order and consistency. White's ultimate goal is peace, ideally through structure and law. White can be restrictive and authoritarian.
Blue seeks perfection through knowledge and progress but can also be the sphere of deception and manipulation. Blue can be unethical or lack morality its its efficiency.
Black embodies the essences of selfishness and opportunism. Black desires power over all else as it allows it to get what it wants. Black is merciless and shameless.
Red desires freedom above all else. Red is pure passion, chaotic and impulsive. Laws are anathema to Red as they get in the way. Red has the capacity for complete anarchy.
Green personifies growth, instinct and harmony with nature. Green is honest and interdependent and dislikes artificial change. Green can lead to rigid and unchanging traditions.

• You may only choose ONE colour. No mixing and matching allowed.
  • The colour you pick does not determine the visual appearance of your faction. It is chiefly a philosophical descriptor. You can have a faction of undead healers that seek to restore order in a disease-stricken land that only they can enter because they are unaffected by disease. That is technically a White faction.
  • You are not required to follow Magic: The Gathering's actual lore or ideas.
  • Your faction must contain at least 8 non-hero units.
  • Your faction must contain at least 1 hero unit.
  • Your faction must contain at least 8 buildings (if your faction has more than 1 defense tower, they will all count as 1).

other_rules_and_conditions-png.311513

• Submissions must follow the Map Submission Rules.
  • Finding voice actors, or testers to test multiplayer mode isn't considered as teamwork, and is allowed.
  • You must download the the provided template map, make the edits, and resubmit it as entry. [Click here to download]
  • Any map's features except its terrain may be edited. Editing the map's Marketplaces, Item Shops, and Taverns is allowed, too.
  • The map must be playable in battle net. (current max map size is 100MB, for example)
  • You may modify existing resources (with permission from the author, if applicable), or create new ones for your entry. You may reuse code, but other content from previous Techtree Contest submissions must be modified to avoid one-to-one copy at the risk of a lower Creativity score.
  • Post two (2) images of your workflow ("Works In Progress" or WIPs) to the main Contest thread before the Deadline, in order to prove your work.
  • Your submission must be accessible to Voters & Judges in both the World Editor & the Game for ease of testing. (i.e. No protecting your map; alternatively, if you use something like Wurst make sure that there is an ingame method by which Voters and Judges can test your faction with ease)
  • Post your final entry in the contest thread before contest is over. The post should be a little presentation, having your submission attached.
  • Judges may not participate.

Breaking any of these rules may lead to punishment in the judgement score, up to disqualification from the contest, depending on the weight of the issue. In case of doubts towards a certain rule you are very encouraged to discuss it in the contest thread so others and judges may help with sorting it out.

Helpful Links: Custom Race System, Design Guide for Fifth Race by MCV, How to create Full-working custom race, Guide to make a Race. (Provided by VeljkoM)

other_prizes-png.311512

• 1st place: 75 reputation points
  • 2nd place: 50 reputation points
  • 3rd place: 25 reputation points
  • Entry: 5 reputation points
  • Judge: 15 reputation points
The three winning teams will receive an award icon, representing the winning entry.​

other_judges-png.311510

• Kam
  • [Open position]

other_contest_judging-png.311506

Theme
How well the various elements of the Faction (including aesthetics, gameplay & design) fit together in a thematic manner such that they feel like they are representative of the given Faction, as well as that of the chosen Contest Theme. Well-fitting & polished aesthetics which complement a cohesive theme will be graded well; poorly-considered or lacking thematic elements will result in a poor score.10

Gameplay
How well the various elements of the Faction work together to achieve the tactical synergy & gameplay style the Faction has, as well as how efficiently each element performs its particular function. Strategic systems that endow an identity to the Faction, comprehensive & well-though-out roles which complement a cohesive Faction will be graded well; ill-considered, insufficient or over-compensating roles will lose points.10

Balance
Indicates how comparable the Faction is in terms of 'playability'; i.e. the ideal Faction should win/lose 50% of the time against others of it's class. Overpowered or Underpowered units/heroes/abilities/etc will result in a poor score; properly balanced elements will result in a good score.5

Creativity
How original the design of the Faction is in terms of innovative ideas, clever implementations, or creative concepts. Innovation and creativity will be rewarded; extensive re-use of existing elements in vanilla factions & poor originality will result in a poor score.10

• Judgement: 70%
  • Poll: 30%
FinalScore = (30*Reached_Votes/POSSIBLE_VOTES) + (70*JudgeScore/100)

other_dates_and_deadline-png.311507

The contest shall begin on 10th of August 2019 and conclude on 30th of September 2019 GMT (day is included).

Assigned Staff: Heinvers

Previous Contest | Poll | Results

Attachments

• (6)Typhoon.w3x
    159.6 KB · Views: 353
Last edited:
Cool. Count me in.

Post edited by Heinvers. DO NOT DELETE!

ContestantWIPColorEntry
MyPadClickWhiteClick
WazzzClickBlackClick
LeodsClickBlackClick
xYours TrulyxClickRedClick
The_Spellweaver & Storm KnightClickBlueClick
AMarkovClickRedClick
Mythic & SpellboundClickBlueClick
Riki MartinClickBlackClick
NameClickColorClick
NameClickColorClick
NameClickColorClick

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 11
I am trying with a Cult of the Damned techtree. All the basic units are alive. The pest boilers are essential, they allow you to kill a alive unit and create a Skeleton, based on the killed unit (but stronger) to replace it. For this reason, now I have 4 units, but only 2 can be directly created.
The servant (Acolyte model) can be sacrificated (it needs a update) to heal 50 HP and 50 Mana points to the nearby units of your own. It doesn't look like egoism, but the Servant don't choose, he just follow orders for his fanatim...
The dark mage (and the shadow skeleton) have Shadow bolt, created from the black arrow, who adds 75 extra damage (every attack cost 100 mana, keep calm) and create a skeleton if kill the enemie.
output.jpg

(Sacrifice, I know it's misspelled. I was distracted.)

Level 11
Haha, you are thinking on black and green? They aren't exactly... friends.
Do both is a good idea, but only if you think the time is enough, just don't overexpose yourself.

Edit: I need to ask for permission. For my Lich unit, i need a phylactery model. The problem here is that the only one I could find in Hive is cataloged within Substandard. A phylacteria is essential for the special caster, so I need another functional model, or permission to use a substandard model in the techtree.

Last edited:
Level 11
Not black and green together, since we can only choose one anyway :p
Just two separate techtree ideas, mostly
I know, i know. But you sayed "If I have time I might even do both", and that is what I was talking about.

Aren't substandard models already allowed for use in the techtree? I think they are
I suppose they aren't, because:
Edit: @Heinvers Lich Phlyactery here it is.

Last edited:

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
I was working on another tech tree in the last contest I believe. It was the paired one so we did not finish due some team related reasons. I do not think we even posted a WIP.

Can I reuse concept and code? it would fit in pretty well with both red and black.
I know some contests prohibit this, but I did not spot it in the rules this time around.

Of course I would only take the parts that were made by myself.

edit: Did post a few wips apparently. Though mostly code x)

Last edited:
First WIP:

Just starting out with the basic worker and town hall, and here's the image (I think it's starting to lean towards a White+Green combo)

upload_2019-8-11_22-7-10.png

The Peon unit (Orduon) will heal any unit it attacks (including enemies) for 100% of its incoming damage. It's attack type is Chaos, but it doesn't really matter anyway. Aside from that, to aid in survival, the Orduon can Phase-shift out of existence.

Last edited:
I was working on another tech tree in the last contest I believe. It was the paired one so we did not finish due some team related reasons. I do not think we even posted a WIP.

Can I reuse concept and code? it would fit in pretty well with both red and black.
I know some contests prohibit this, but I did not spot it in the rules this time around.

Of course I would only take the parts that were made by myself.

edit: Did post a few wips apparently. Though mostly code x)
In the interest of having more participation (and more importantly, more finished work), I'm very tempted to say yes to this. I think a case can be made about re-using old code that's not strictly systems, so yeah, not everything your faction has must be brand-new. I think the only exception here is that if you were to re-use an asset from a previous techtree contest submission (code being the exception, as it's backend stuff), you should probably modify it to some extent so that it's not a 1:1 re-use. Otherwise I think you should be good. I'll think the rules need to be updated to reflect this.

@The_Silent
Yeah, resources made for the contest are good.

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
It is mostly backend stuff.

In fact it is almost exclusively systems.
If my old notes are up to date I only made 5~ spells.

I have a few hundred lines of object editor generation though x)
Most likely my submission will be the easiest to transfer to other maps thanks to it, needless to say I am not too eager undo this.

I'll go ahead and tinker a bit. See if I can make it work with the red color.

Level 11
Feel free to use it.
Thanks. I will continue in a few hours. Is have all the techtree now, in my mind, and some of the code.
Just starting out with the basic worker and town hall, and here's the image (I think it's starting to lean towards a White+Green combo)
Looks great! I think it looks better as green, but it's your choice.

Edit: I was looking to the participants table, and, in my name, says "red colour" Actually, I am doing a black techtree.
I don't know if it is necessary to change it, but I don't want to lose punctuation due to a confusion of color.

Last edited:
Second WIP:

Introducing two units (Arbiter and Glaive-bearer). (Tier one units with Tier three spells)

Arbiter: A light unit that deals minor damage. Physical resistance grows exponentially, and attack speed increases exponentially. Has Purity Field, which dispels magical buffs from enemies, granting 0.5 hit point regen per buff, which lasts for 10 seconds.

Glaive-bearer: A light ranged unit, particularly with a deadly glaive of oppression. If left alone, they can turn your tank into mincemeat, but they are especially fragile. Has Glaive Fragment, which applies a mark onto a target unit. If the target unit sustains 5 marks, the target receives damage based on his health pool (3% of maximum health for units, and 1.5% of current health for Heroes). The damage applied is pure (ignores almost all reductions and amplifications).

A gif shows what the Glaive-bearers are truly capable of:
(In the gif, the Glaive Fragment spell was modified to deal 15% of maximum health as damage for units)

ezgif.com-video-to-gif.gif

Level 35
So far the WIPs are looking pretty interesting, I'm curious to see how everybody progresses.

Here's a pretty early WIP from me, too. I've decided to go with my initial idea of following the Black Sphere with a Bandit Faction.

So far the units implemented are the Villager as the Worker, the Bandit as the basic melee and the Brigand as the basic ranged.

While what I am developing so far could certainly be considered a more traditional lineup for an additional faction, I am primarily hoping to have a lot of fun with the concept itself and am exploring new avenues for what can be implemented in terms of gameplay and the likes - all while adhering to the philosophy of the selfish ambition that is represented by the Black Sphere.

The Tower, when loaded with Villagers, can shoot multiple targets, an extra target per Villager that enters it.

The Tent is intended to be able to hold one unit at a time, and while holding them, heal them as they rest until they are ready to be redeployed in an Ambush

The Bandit and the Brigand both share a Parry ability, where they enter a defensive mode that enables them an Evasion chance to dodge any attacks at the cost of movement speed. The Brigand can also be upgraded to have an Envenomed Weapons ability.
Both the Bandit and Brigand also share a Hide ability, which can be upgraded to function during the day.

There are other units and the likes that I have in mind for now, but these are the ideas I have either implemented or are in the process of implementing thusfar.

WIP 1.jpg

Level 11
Well, all this WIPS look great. Soon, I will post another WIP, with the 9 principal units (exceptly siege and worker units). After that, I will start with the heroes.

and 1.5% of current health for Heroes
Well, there is a really interesting paradox about that. If you use the current life, without any minimal damage, the Hero will never die. Also, the damage will be
minor, and minor, decreasing infinitely, but never reaching 0. The paradox is named as "Achilles and the turtle".

Well, there is a really interesting paradox about that. If you use the current life, without any minimal damage, the Hero will never die. Also, the damage will be
minor, and minor, decreasing infinitely, but never reaching 0. The paradox is named as "Achilles and the turtle".

I believe it also goes by another name, "Zeno's Paradox".

The current health percentage is mostly for balancing purposes, with units receiving damage based on their max HP.

Edit:

Oh, another thing I'll include is an ultimate spell (just a concept for now).

Requiem of Souls - No, not the Dota variant. The ability will record the history of the area around the caster. After 4 seconds, any allied unit that died within range of the spell during that time (and had not been removed yet) will be revived, slowly returning towards their initial position, and their initial health. (With animation speed inverted). If the caster dies while the second phase is ongoing, the revival will be undone, and the revived units will die again.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.