• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

TechTree Contest #11: Theme Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 18
Oh, I thought it would be possible to have multiple polls. I guess it'll have to be done the TC#9 way, which is quite clever I might add.

I say wait 24hrs. 48hrs seems pointlessly long.
I would be possible to have 2 polls, yet I think that it would be easier to voters and to promoters to have a single one. Specially for the Hive announcement thing.

About the waiting time, let me notify all participants on this thread that we want a to get the contest moving. With the interested people involved we could start the poll much faster.

Level 18
Greeting fellow Hivers,

I want to comunicate you that we would like to start the theme poll in the next days. (Theme Discussion Thread)

For that matter please make sure we have heard your voice regarding the pending issues.

1. Are we ready to start the theme poll?
    • (Yes, right now)
    • (Yes, lets wait 24 hrs and do it)
    • (Yes, lets wait 48 hrs and do it)
    • (No, we need more discussion)
  2. Do you agree with the official theme options? Currently:
    • Aliances
    • Alternate Timeline
    • Ancient Race
    • Elements
    • Evil Faction
    • Improved Melee
    • Revolution
    • Techno-Magic.
  3. Do you want any theme in the "Holdbay" to be used in the theme poll? Current themes in the bay:
    • Evolution
    • Nomad
    • Overpowered
    • Pacifist
    • Post-Apocalypse
    • Tecnyfied Race
    • Unsual
Let your voice to be heard.

PS> I had sent the content of the post via PM to all who have participated in this thread. My intention was to get your attention, and to not allow answers to the PM. (so you could answer in the thread itself). I apologize for the mess-up. Any way let me put your answers in a next post so we can have this contest going.

Last edited:
Level 18
I apologize for the doble post, but I would like to keep the original 3 questions unchanged.
As promised here are the anwers you people have gently sent me over PM (conversation).
As far as I am concerned:
1. yes, right now

2. I think improved melee is too limiting.

3. Nomad
1-Yes, right now.
2-no problem with those
3-Nomad
1: can be right now

2: kinda fine with that

3: I'd fancy evolution
I like the traditional best irony of this contest. That voters won't even participate which is how we got mythology last time in the first place.

1 - Anyway plenty of themes so yeah start the poll now
2 - Good enough, most will anyway stretch the definition of theme anyway.
3 - Irrelevant, all those options can be easily fit in the given options. Want evolution, go with evil insect race; Tech/Post Apocalypse go with Alternate Universe (what can you not to with AU?).
I am only against consideration of including pacifist and overpowered.
1.Are we ready to start the theme poll?
A:
I guess so,yeah.

2.Do you agree with the official theme options?
A:
Looks like the themes of my choice,agreed.

3.Do you want a theme in the "Holdbay" to be used in the theme poll?
A:
Not all sounds interesting. Probably not.

Thanks for the message btw!
1. I think we're ready.
2. I like the current theme options
3. I would like to include the Technified Race.
Not really going to participate, either way.

1. Depending on the rest, I guess wait 24 hours.
2. Yes
3. Well I guess, no.
Well, 100% of the people that have anser the question the question have agreed to start the poll as soon as possible. To haste things, right now I am asking a moderator so we can have our theme poll up and running.

Edit: by popular aclaim I will add theme Nomad who had 4 people vouching for it.

Last edited:
If we're done discussing the themes, can we move on to the voting?

Also 'Evil Faction' is just demons. Rather uninspired (sorry to whomever suggested it). I vote for removing this from the list of potential themes.
Considering people on the Hive tend to have questionable taste sometimes (imo), I just want to be sure to see if I'm not just the oddball who wants this theme gone (at least for this contest).

Level 18
Considering people on the Hive tend to have questionable taste sometimes (imo), I just want to be sure to see if I'm not just the oddball who wants this theme gone (at least for this contest).
@MatiS (whom proposed the theme), @Direfury and me like the theme, yet it's fine with me if more people want to remove it. Hehehe, just hurry up comment before poll is approved and options can't be changed. :eek:

Last edited:
Just plain evil race theme seems kinda vague. The current description, which mentions the possibility of a 'holy' but evil race, just shows how interpretative this theme can be. They just have to be bad people. So it can literally be anything, with questionable morals.

PS: I do realise there's a certain irony to what I just said and the fact that I'm the one who initially suggested Alternate Timeline as a theme, which if you've been paying attention, people have not been too hyped about :p

Level 16
Some of the themes seem more interesting than the others but overall a quite nice choice.
Alliance - this one can be a total waste of time or the most brillian thing ever.
Alternate Timeline - i'd vote for that one seeing what blizzard recently did.
Ancient Race - i see that one working out, as warcraft has A LOT of story.
Elements - this theme forces a lot of restrictions if someone goes just for one element, but two or more should be fun (like Ragnaros and Al'Akir alliance)
Evil Faction -i personaly would change this one to Twisted faction like the good nathrezim coming in legion etc.
Improved Melee -kinda standard
Nomad - depending from the zone the nomads should come from this one can be a nice challange.
Revolution - for me it seems too similar to alternate timeline.
Techno-magic- this one is my second favourite, it gives me the feel of the Powder Mage Trilogy.

Oh, the Twisted idea does sounds cool indeed. Though personally I'd call it:

Mirror-verse - reality turns upside down! Down is up and the poor become the rich. Take one faction from the Warcraft universe and shift their alignment. If they were evil before, now they're angels. Eg: The Burning Legion becomes the Shining Legion

Level 18
Oh, the Twisted idea does sounds cool indeed. Though personally I'd call it:

Mirror-verse - reality turns upside down! Down is up and the poor become the rich. Take one faction from the Warcraft universe and shift their alignment. If they were evil before, now they're angels. Eg: The Burning Legion becomes the Shining Legion
I really like the idea,,, mmm anyone more vouching for this theme so we can added to the "approved themes"??

Level 18
Nvm.
I thought it only applied to the 4 playable races.

If it applies to every race then it's indeed a good addition.
I understand that is open to any vanilla faction (Alliance, Horde, Dalaran, Twilight Hammer, Burning Legion, Naga, etc), as in the example it talks about twisting the Burning Legion, into the Shining Legion.

EDIT: thank you all for you participation on this discussion thread, cheers on a mostly civilized 'brainstorming'. (We could still use this thread to decide minor details).

Theme poll is up and running HERE.

Last edited:
Level 14
  1. Are we ready to start the theme poll?
    • (Yes, right now)
  2. Do you agree with the official theme options? Currently:
    • Aliances
    • Alternate Timeline
    • Ancient Race
    • Elements
    • Evil Faction
    • Improved Melee
    • Revolution
    • Techno-Magic.
  3. Do you want any theme in the "Holdbay" to be used in the theme poll? Current themes in the bay:
    • Evolution
    • Overpowered
    • Pacifist

I would leave the "Evil Faction" theme in, because it is quite easy to do - I think might be better to have diverse options in.
also for 3.: I think the three I left in are quite funny and offer ways to express creativity :)

EDIT: Oh I am sorry, I was too late! :/

Level 18
I would leave the "Evil Faction" theme in, because it is quite easy to do - I think might be better to have diverse options in.
also for 3.: I think the three I left in are quite funny and offer ways to express creativity :)
Evil faction stayed in the poll options, the others didn't got enough people vouching for them. :S
EDIT: Oh I am sorry, I was too late! :/
I'm sorry to hear that you didn't get the notice in time, people were so much exited that it was better to keep the momemtum.

I invite you to participate in the theme poll that is already up. Also as some-one had stated, you could make a pacifist or evolution faction that also fits with most of the theme options, yet I am afraid that an Overpowered factions is not so viable, cause it would have a poor score on the "balance" criteria.

Last edited:
Level 14
I'm sorry to hear that you didn't get the notice in time, people we so much exited that it was better to keep the momemtum.

I invite you to participate in the theme poll that is already up. Also as some-one had stated, you could make a pacifist or evolution faction that also fits with most of the theme options, yet I am afraid that an Overpowered factions is not so viable, cause it would have a poor score on the "balance" criteria.

no worries, I simply had no time to go online this weekend, and thank you, I certainly will do that.
I know, overpowered would be horrible, but interesting, I think, to see what people come up with to "make overpowered seem serious". Anyway there is enough good themes on the list. See you in the next thread :)

Status
Not open for further replies.