• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Tauer's Models 2.0

Level 39
Very nice to see, although consider saving the hood for a potential Mogor. Dentarg in wc2 had those cool face tattoos, but no hood. Just my opinion of course.
I don't think I will be making Mogor unfortunately. I'm aware that Dentarg has no hood in the WC2 icon, but I usually like to put my "own" (or in this case one I stole from a concept artist :grin:) twist on the character design. It will also help differentiate him a bit from Cho'gall.
That looks awexome except for that stupid dinky little axe, lol. Man what was the concept artist thinking? xD
I know, it looks super lame :xxd:

Not a whole lot of progress this weekend, but I did get started on the body:
wip2.gif

Level 8
I don't think I will be making Mogor unfortunately. I'm aware that Dentarg has no hood in the WC2 icon, but I usually like to put my "own" (or in this case one I stole from a concept artist :grin:) twist on the character design. It will also help differentiate him a bit from Cho'gall.

I know, it looks super lame :xxd:

Not a whole lot of progress this weekend, but I did get started on the body:
View attachment 406945
Orcgasm!!!

Level 39
Level 39
The sword looks great
Maybe if you could make another belt with a skull instead of this belt, it would look better
Eh, don't think I'm going to be changing it at this point. Thanks for the suggestion, though :)
Looking fantastic, will he have a roman skirt, like the samwise artwork too?:
Probably not – it's a bit late to add that now with the model all unwrapped and textured. Should probably have added it to begin with, but as with most of my models it's a pretty loose interpretation of the original concept art anyway :D

Got started on the animations:
wip5.gif

Level 39
Thanks guys!

He is actually finished already – 8 years ahead of schedule!

The choice of the weapon is interesting, makes him look a tad like a Blademaster.
This is kind of deliberate. I chose this weapon / animation style in part as an “homage” to my original Kilrogg model, which was one of my very first models ever.
I know this is a free interpretation, but im pretty sure that the stick he has on his back in the original artwork was supposed to be his weapon, since your using it anyway, do you plan to give it an use? Like a banner or a secondary weapon?
Unfortunately not, no – the stick is purely aesthetic on this model… It's a good point about the concept art, though.

Level 12
Thanks guys!

He is actually finished already – 8 years ahead of schedule!

This is kind of deliberate. I chose this weapon / animation style in part as an “homage” to my original Kilrogg model, which was one of my very first models ever.

Unfortunately not, no – the stick is purely aesthetic on this model… It's a good point about the concept art, though.
Amazing work!
Any chances to see a little teaser for Kargath Bladefist?

Level 34
It's actually made by @paladinjst, although based on my Grom model :)

But yes, the plan is to release him next. Will probably be making a few edits to the texture (adding some TC and the like) and then get started on animating him.
Always wondered why paladinjst didn't uploaded most of his models on the Hive

Level 48
giphy.webp

At long last they are finished (I hope):
Turalyon, Alleria, Danath, Kurdran and Sky'ree and Khadgar!

Sorry for the rather extreme delay (calling it that seems very generous) - I can't believe it's been almost 5 years since I've uploaded a model.

Please report any issues.

Please don't worry about bothering me - it's always a delight to see people commenting here with their support. Sorry for not answering - hopefully the release will make up for it a bit!
I finally got around to checking all of those beautiful models out. You've truly outdone yourself this time. I've posted most of my feedback over on each individual model's page. God, I love to see those updates from you Tauer! Truly one of the best people in the scene right now.

I don't know If it was already said here by me or an other hiver, but your models are what I could perfectly imagine for a true Reforged Warcraft 3 !
Even if I'm not fond of the extended universe (everything beside the 3 opus & their expansions are utter heresy), that's quite a nice fit.

Level 39
You know, I think I've got a good question.. Have you considered making a model of someone like, say, Zuluhed the Whacked, Nekros Skullsmasher or any other minor orc characters from that era of Warcraft's lore? Just curious.
Won't rule it out, but I have a pretty large backlog of projects already, so I wouldn't count on it any time soon.
I don't know If it was already said here by me or an other hiver, but your models are what I could perfectly imagine for a true Reforged Warcraft 3 !
Even if I'm not fond of the extended universe (everything beside the 3 opus & their expansions are utter heresy), that's quite a nice fit.
Thanks, that's some high praise! But honestly, I'm just an amateur/hobbyist at this whole deal. For a true Reforged quality, I'd probably look to someone like Traggey or Gluma. Their stuff is miles above mine :)
I think I've asked this before but how do you make your textures Tauer? Are they free-hand or via a Texture Painter?
Not sure what you mean with Texture Painter (Do you mean something like Substance Painter?) - but yes, all my textures are free-hand, although I do use the software 3DCoat to texture directly on the model in 3D space. This is a more intuitive workflow than having to texture on a 2D unwrap in something like Photoshop.

Working on animating this dude:

java_utRsyoCwCy.png

But it's taking a bit longer than I had expected, probably because I got a bit burnt out by animating the Sons of Lothar. So I actually started on something quite different than what I'm used to:

WIP2.jpg

WIP3.jpg

A replacer for my least favorite model in the game – the footman. This is the first non-hero model I've worked on since I started making models from scratch, so it's going to be interesting. Depending on how it turns out, I might start a remaster of my old Clan Grunt collection. Currently working on the texture, but I'm having a bit of trouble getting it right, so nothing I feel like sharing at the moment. Just a bit rusty, I suppose.

Last edited:
View attachment 425083

View attachment 425084

A replacer for my least favorite model in the game – the footman. This is the first non-hero model I've worked on since I started making models from scratch, so it's going to be interesting. Depending on how it turns out, I might start a remaster of my old Clan Grunt collection. Currently working on the texture, but I'm having a bit of trouble getting it right, so nothing I feel like sharing at the moment. Just a bit rusty, I suppose.
Heavy Breathing

Level 9
Won't rule it out, but I have a pretty large backlog of projects already, so I wouldn't count on it any time soon.

Thanks, that's some high praise! But honestly, I'm just an amateur/hobbyist at this whole deal. For a true Reforged quality, I'd probably look to someone like Traggey or Gluma. Their stuff is miles above mine :)

Not sure what you mean with Texture Painter (Do you mean something like Substance Painter?) - but yes, all my textures are free-hand, although I do use the software 3DCoat to texture directly on the model in 3D space. This is a more intuitive workflow than having to texture on a 2D unwrap in something like Photoshop.

View attachment 425082

But it's taking a bit longer than I had expected, probably because I got a bit burnt out by animating the Sons of Lothar. So I actually started on something quite different than what I'm used to:

View attachment 425083

View attachment 425084

Heavy Breathing
Hype Screaming

Level 39
Any chances to see new Ner'zhul model?
Oh yeah, most definitely. I've been wanting to make him for years.
Amazing work as always, Tauer! Looking forward to seeing what you come up with. :)
Thanks! :D

Footman texture has been giving me some grief, but it's slowly starting to take some shape:

WIP7.jpg

WIP8.jpg

WIP9.jpg

Still not 100% sure on the helmet, but I've been spending so much time on it that I decided to move on to some other parts. I might do some touch ups on it later. Note that the TC is brighter in these renders than it will be ingame.

Still not 100% sure on the helmet, but I've been spending so much time on it that I decided to move on to some other parts. I might do some touch ups on it later. Note that the TC is brighter in these renders than it will be ingame.
Oh it's beautiful. Weirdly enough I love the look of that TC colour, its very... bright in a good way.

Level 11

View attachment 425082

View attachment 425083

View attachment 425084

Oooof I want this Kargath so bad!!

Progress is super slow with the Footman texture for some reason, but finally starting to feel like it's getting somewhere:
View attachment 426431
It looks so close to being finished. What were you thinking animation wise? Re-creations of the original footmans or something more unique?