• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Tales of Yrchian ORPG V2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 16
Tales of Yrchian is a full teamwork multi-player ORPG map. Map isn't finished yet, still working on quests, items, skills, heroes, dungeons, etc. It's almost impossible to play it with less than 4 players.
There would be 5 attributes that affects the gameplay for each player.
Attribute
Effect

StrengthAffects the power of your physical attacks, the ammount of your health points and your life regeneration rate.
IntelligenceAffects the power of your magical attacks, the ammount of mana you can handle and your mana regeneration rate.
DexterityAffects the chance of a critical hit and durability reduction.
SpeedAffects your movement speed and attack rate.
LuckAffects almost everything, the drops you get, the damage you deal or take, chance of avoiding an attack or traps. Everything.
There will be two trees. One for the characters' active skills and one for the passive skills and upgrades. The Talent Tree lists the passive skills the heroes can learn. There will be always more than one choice.
The players can choose 5 from 10 talents/upgrades.
A brand new hero picking system instead of that boring Tavern. I thinking about a cinematic where all the 12 heroes(Yes there will be 3 extra heroes and the 9 from the original ToY) are fightning against creeps showing some of the skills/spells they can use. The pick can be controlled by th arrow keys. It would be an infite fight repeating the moves.
It would be different from the previous one. Detailed, beautiful with better tileset and doodoads and without these shitty blizzard cliffs.

2mpmx5i.png

2h49d1u.png

35hokyr.png

33kzrm0.jpg

2n9bygl.png

ru46j8.png

21l6eeh.jpg

Also some WIP of two of the spells:
500k0i.jpg

34i00ur.jpg
The weapons and armors will not have active spells. All weapons and armors bought from one of the shops starts with 100 durability(charge). During the battles the durability of each is lowered depending on luck,damage taken/dealt,type of enemy's/hero's armor and dexterity. If the item's durability reaches zero, the hero will lose that item. Item's can be repaired at blacksmiths. Dropped items starts with random durability between 100 and 25.
Repair
At some of the shops you can repair the used items. Here you are two little tables that shows everything.
The items wil have a weaight value. Weight has an impact on movement speed. If the character carries too much weight it will be over encunumbered and can't move. Strength and how healthy your character is determites the weight you can carry.
The potions will work different. It won't heal the full value at use. Instead of that it will heal a % of the max healing value and then slowly regenerates the remaining.
Jewellry with active/passive skills have a charge. Each use reduce the charge of the item by X. X depends on the power of the skill. Can be recharged at Special Trader.
The player can craft a few jewellry. The crafted items don't have any effect. Effects can be added by special (crafted) elixirs. Elixirs can be made by Distiller. Also it will be allowed to craft potions, such as health, mana potions or even buff potions.
Enchants will have a 75% succes chance. If the enchant fails, all the ingredients will disappear.
I want to make this map unique and high detailed, without any glitch or other irritating things so I need some help.

Role
Model maker2 slot - Make detailed models with nice animations (if required) with the lowest possible size.
Icon maker2 slot - Creative user experienced in icon making.
Terrainer2 slot:
  1. One for especially for dark themes. I'm not too good at this theme :/
  2. One for the others. Dungeons, forests etc.
Terrainers must have the MiscData.txt file. If you don't have.
TriggererAt least one vJASS-er
SkinnerSomeone who can make detailed skins with low size.
ArtistSomeone who can draw nice pics for the skill/spell/talent trees.
The ones who work on the map itself require the latest JNGP.
[TD]
9asqya.png
[/TD] [TD]
Attribute system
[/TD] [TD]
Talent trees and Upgrades
[/TD] [TD]
Hero Pick System
[/TD] [TD]
Terrain
[/TD] [TD]
Item Durability System
[/TD] [TD]
Weight System
[/TD]
[TD]
Advanced Potion System
[/TD] [TD]
Craft, Enchant and Jewellry Charge System
[/TD]
[TD]
Recruitment
[/TD]

Last edited:
Level 6
id be happy to be a terrainer for this ive always wanted to make an orpg had many ideas but i could never get the triggers done. I was never the best at that. but ya i would be happy to help i can send u my orpg map to show u some of my basic terrain it aint full details but u will get idea what i can do

Level 31
I need one that is as simple as possible and only saves the required things.

It can be configured however you like. However, if you want one that's simple and produces pretty good codes, check Pipedream's at wc3c.net.

However, if you use Pipedream's, you won't be able to do things like only saving the items that exist in the inventory and only saving xp for levels that actually need it and etc... and you won't be able to save things like item charges.

For example, with pipedream's, Pearl East Kingdom's code would have prob been 23 chars w/o saving item charges. With Encoder, it's 9-23 characters (that's w/o saving item charges ofc).

But again, if it is simplicity that you are after, Pipedream's is the best way to go.

Now if you want as simple as possible, then you can use something like Acehart's at thehelper.net (GUI friendly too), but that'd prob be 34-37 characters long.

We're actually discussing save/load systems at this thread: http://www.thehelper.net/forums/sho...hat-s-your-favorite-save-load-system-and-why-)

Level 16
And it's fully in JASS or I can download it in vJASS...
TriggerHappy's system could be good but it's difficult to add things like skills,skill levels,talent tree things,charges remaining(oh I forgot to add the durability system to the thread ~.~),etc...
I checked Acehart's system and I don't know :/ It's filled with big ammount of triggers but if I see it correctly, there is one that combines the previous ones so I just have to copy 4-5 triggers.

Level 31
Well, here is some info-

some data can be compressed down to 7 characters-
Pipedream's does it perfectly
Encoder does it perfectly
CodeGen does it to 16
Acehart's does it to around 16 I think it was

So just keep in mind that if you don't use Pipedream's save/load system or Encoder, you're going to have a code that's way more massive than it needs to be.

For more information on why, check out intro to save/load in this tutorial (goes over the mechanics of save/load, no code)
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/jass-ai-scripts-tutorials-280/saving-loading-192851/

charges remaining

You can only save that w/ Encoder. No other save/load system can do that, so give up on item charges, lol. And believe me, the catalogs that result from charged items are much more complicated than the norm =P.

Check out the structure of Encoder as compared to others to see why. I mean, you can save item charges, but your code is going to be utterly massive... we're talking a 11-18 char encoder code vs an 18 char Pipedream code (very little info saved), and around 29 for a code generated by Acehart's or CodeGen (again, almost no data saved). And if you want to save everything that you want to save, then it's probably going to bloat up to 27 char or so Pipedream code or a 42ish char Acehart/CodeGen code or a 20-27 char encoder code. This is all w/o security. Add 2-3 chars to encoder/pipedream for security and 4 chars to others for security.

So I really don't suggest saving item charges if you're not using Encoder, and I suggest using Pipedream's as it's your next best bet.

edit
Visual

Code:
Ace/CodeGen/Etc
ZZZZZ-ZZZZZ-ZZZZZ-ZZZZZ-ZZZZZ-ZZZZZ-ZZZZZ-ZZZZZ-ZZ

Pipe
ZZZZZ-ZZZZZ-ZZZZZ-ZZZZZ-ZZZZZ-ZZ

Encoder
(between these, almost guaranteed never to hit min or max size, will typically stay in middle)
ZZZZZ-ZZZZZ-ZZZZZ-ZZZZZ
to
ZZZZZ-ZZZZZ-ZZZZZ-ZZZZZ-ZZZZZ-ZZ

edit
I guess if you don't care about the size of the codes that the players have to type in, that's fine ^)^. Just keep in mind that the #1 complaint by players in ORPGs is the code size =P.

Last edited:
Level 16
Well, because 1 is not complete :D that's why I call it v2. It's compeletely different but completely the same at the time ~.~. Well it's a kind of full remake.

Since nobody joined also hardly anyone interested in the map.... I started the map alone.
Things done:
Amazon skills:
  • Split Cold Arrows
  • Overgrown
  • Entangling Roots
Small part of terrain
Skill trigger calling system
Half of the Attribute and damage/skill effect level calculation system.

Level 13
just a suggestion, make an Aggro system or alert system. Cause enemies would always come attack you if they recieve even 0 dmg from you. So you could make that as alert, if spell gives nice sounds. Enemies should come and visit that place. And about aggro, every spell should give aggro. So how bigger aggro is more enemies would come. :)

Level 16
I want to write an AI for not just the bosses but creeps too. But first I make the others :)
The things I've done so far:
  • Attribute system
  • Small part of terrain
  • All Amazon spells
  • 4 Phoenix Warrior spells
The concepts I've done with:
  • Buyable item list
  • Craft
  • Repair
  • Recharge
  • Talents and Upgrades and their sequence

Level 1
hey im interested in being a part of your team. but i have got no experience in this kind of stuff. but i'm interested in the artist role, cus im currently studying games design in school and i'm also having the artist role school for my project. so i thought this could be something where i can learn how to actually ... ya know. >_>

Level 2
Enchants will have a 75% succes chance. If the enchant fails, all the ingredients will disappear.

Couldn't this be avoided through:

Saving (code)
doing the enchanting
if it fails: leave map, and start again with the code you just got ?

Level 16
well, there will be always easier ways, no matter what we do because players will always search for it, i'm thinking of a little add-on or simething that after save you can't enchant for 10 minutes or more

A little update.
Some of the skills are changed(see the list)
I've done with the following:
  • Phoenix Warrior spells
  • Moonmage spells (except one)

Level 13
also there is way to fix "bugs". You try to add 1 word to your save code, and that should be wait time before you can enchant again. And if you have inventory system, Anachrons has save included, connect it with yours. Keep items in his IS.
So when somebody finish enchant, you should replace his save code. That would be only real fix. And percentage would su** a lot. Try to give skills more skills, like alternate one called "Luck" increases every percentage you have in game. Maybe Intelligence to increase that percentages, and not luck, to increase Mana and other mental "psyhical" stuff.

Level 16
I like the terrain also. I've also just realised that he's hungarian :D (glad to see that we've got another good hungarian mapper [no, I'm not racist; it just makes me feel good])

Huhh, it's been a while since I've played a WC3 map (except mine), but if I recall correctly, ToY 1 was a good one. Well, let's see how this turns out.

Level 16
Hehe:)

Yeah, ToY v1 had a good terrain but it was very limited because I was a begginer when I created the map file. I wasn't able to add little shores, lakes or beaches. Tomorrow I will try to get a proper patch and the JNGP to continue the work on the v2 but still can't contact the ones offered help with terrain and stuff because of my net problems :/.

@toby
Could you show me some terrain pics made by you? As a reference.

Level 16
Check this if you want pics of terrains made by him:

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/map-development-202/asian-garden-204004/

Oh, almost forgot to response: good luck with the JNGP. I hope you can get it work soon. With Tukki as the coder you simply can't fail when it comes to coding :D All you need is good ideas and a good terrain (that you've already got as I can see).

I love RPG's (I prefer single player ones, but hell yea, playing a well made ORPG map on LAN with friends is so much fun), so I'd like to see how this in work ;)

Level 16
Yeah, Tukki is an awesome coder :) The two thing I'm in need is a modeller and a skinner. Now the map is a bit empty because there are lots of useful models and skins in the high-quality model & texture pack but these have a very large size. I'll try reduce the sizes as much as possible so I can get more space for the very unique things like the RPG songs in the game :)

Level 16
Well, toby, these are awesome. When I got my normal net back, I gladly await you in the team :)

I had a little problem with my w3(I was able to walk on the deep water o_O) but I succesfully fixed it. Now I can work on the map, however, not with the newest patch, just the 1.24e.
I finished the Moonmage and started to make the Northern Warrior. I've already done with 5 of it's skills ^^. At the first page you can see that I've changed some skills.

edit:
Two little pic from the game :)
Moonmage spell - Lunar Ritual
Northern Warrior - Arctic Field

500k0i.jpg

34i00ur.jpg

Last edited:
Level 16

I just finished the Northern warrior and some of the Elementalist spells. All I can say is the game will be epic when done for the first official test.
Elementalist spells done:
-Spark
-Fireball
-Water Darts
-Rock Impale
-Static Field
-Ice Rain
-Summon Mud Golem
-Chain Lightning
-Ignite

Level 16
Well, toby, these are awesome. When I got my normal net back, I gladly await you in the team :)

I had a little problem with my w3(I was able to walk on the deep water o_O) but I succesfully fixed it. Now I can work on the map, however, not with the newest patch, just the 1.24e.
Cool! I'll gladly join, I hope I can be of assistance, just contact me or give me a message when you are interested. I could use some help on my project as well, couldn't find a coder yet.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Important
What is the size of your map?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:
Level 16
Oh I see! that's good because my map has over 20mb and I can't upload because bnet has 8mb space limitations so I'm going to wait until they remove limits. Putin the project on hold. Either way I`l change the multiplayer to single although`it's meant for multi. This does not bother me too much.
Already found a team to collaborate with on another project so joining your team will have to wait.

Level 16
A little update.
Done with the grave & ressurrection system.
Finished almost all spells of the Berserk.
Finished most of the Necromancer spells.
Finished the Necromancery system.
Fixed "next attack" type spells.
Finished most of the Holy Warrior spells.
Finished the Thief spells.
Finished the Priest spells(except one).

To show how big the project is, I share a few info ~.~
The other Tales of Yrchian which I have "finished"(or more likely it just remained at a BETA state and I won't continue) had around 200 triggers with nearly 80 variables. That really shows how complicated spells were there.
The current ToY now has 283 triggers with 908 variables. And these are only the spells and there are still spells I haven't finished or started yet.
So yeah, it's a big project ~.1

Level 17
How is this going? Those spells look pretty sweet tbh. I'd love to see more terrain shots though!

Status
Not open for further replies.