1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The poll for Hive's 12th Concept Art Contest is up! Go cast your vote for your favourite genie!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Travel to distant realms and encounter scenes unknown to the common folk. The Greatest of Adventures is upon us with the 8th Cinematic Contest. Join in on a fun ride.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The 18th Icon Contest is ON! Choose any ingame unit and give him/her Hero abilities. Good luck to all.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Contestants are to create a scene set in the Stone Age. Come and see what you can come up with. We wish you the best of luck!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Colour outside the lines! Techtree Contest #13 is a go. The contest is optionally paired.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Greetings cerebrates, our Swarm needs new spawners that will have numerous children. Join the HIVE's 31st Modeling Contest - Spawners and Spawned! The contest is optionally paired.
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Tales of Yrchian ORPG V2

Discussion in 'Map Development' started by Marsal, May 6, 2011.

1. Marsal

Marsal

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    [​IMG]
    Tales of Yrchian is a full teamwork multi-player ORPG map. Map isn't finished yet, still working on quests, items, skills, heroes, dungeons, etc. It's almost impossible to play it with less than 4 players.
    Attribute system
    There would be 5 attributes that affects the gameplay for each player.
    Attribute
    Effect

Strength Affects the power of your physical attacks, the ammount of your health points and your life regeneration rate.
    Intelligence Affects the power of your magical attacks, the ammount of mana you can handle and your mana regeneration rate.
    Dexterity Affects the chance of a critical hit and durability reduction.
    Speed Affects your movement speed and attack rate.
    Luck Affects almost everything, the drops you get, the damage you deal or take, chance of avoiding an attack or traps. Everything.
    Talent trees and Upgrades
    There will be two trees. One for the characters' active skills and one for the passive skills and upgrades. The Talent Tree lists the passive skills the heroes can learn. There will be always more than one choice.
    The players can choose 5 from 10 talents/upgrades.
    Hero Pick System
    A brand new hero picking system instead of that boring Tavern. I thinking about a cinematic where all the 12 heroes(Yes there will be 3 extra heroes and the 9 from the original ToY) are fightning against creeps showing some of the skills/spells they can use. The pick can be controlled by th arrow keys. It would be an infite fight repeating the moves.
    Terrain
    It would be different from the previous one. Detailed, beautiful with better tileset and doodoads and without these shitty blizzard cliffs.
    WIP
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Also some WIP of two of the spells:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Item Durability System
    The weapons and armors will not have active spells. All weapons and armors bought from one of the shops starts with 100 durability(charge). During the battles the durability of each is lowered depending on luck,damage taken/dealt,type of enemy's/hero's armor and dexterity. If the item's durability reaches zero, the hero will lose that item. Item's can be repaired at blacksmiths. Dropped items starts with random durability between 100 and 25.
    Repair
    At some of the shops you can repair the used items. Here you are two little tables that shows everything.
    Weight System
    The items wil have a weaight value. Weight has an impact on movement speed. If the character carries too much weight it will be over encunumbered and can't move. Strength and how healthy your character is determites the weight you can carry.
    Advanced Potion System
    The potions will work different. It won't heal the full value at use. Instead of that it will heal a % of the max healing value and then slowly regenerates the remaining.
    Craft, Enchant and Jewellry Charge System
    Jewellry with active/passive skills have a charge. Each use reduce the charge of the item by X. X depends on the power of the skill. Can be recharged at Special Trader.
    The player can craft a few jewellry. The crafted items don't have any effect. Effects can be added by special (crafted) elixirs. Elixirs can be made by Distiller. Also it will be allowed to craft potions, such as health, mana potions or even buff potions.
    Enchants will have a 75% succes chance. If the enchant fails, all the ingredients will disappear.
    Recruitment
    I want to make this map unique and high detailed, without any glitch or other irritating things so I need some help.
    Role
    Model maker 2 slot - Make detailed models with nice animations (if required) with the lowest possible size.
    Icon maker 2 slot - Creative user experienced in icon making.
    Terrainer 2 slot:
    1. One for especially for dark themes. I'm not too good at this theme :/
    2. One for the others. Dungeons, forests etc.
    Terrainers must have the MiscData.txt file. If you don't have.
    Triggerer At least one vJASS-er
    Skinner Someone who can make detailed skins with low size.
    Artist Someone who can draw nice pics for the skill/spell/talent trees.

The ones who work on the map itself require the latest JNGP.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2012
  2. 4rankie

4rankie

Resources:
    Resources:
    id be happy to be a terrainer for this ive always wanted to make an orpg had many ideas but i could never get the triggers done. I was never the best at that. but ya i would be happy to help i can send u my orpg map to show u some of my basic terrain it aint full details but u will get idea what i can do

3. Marsal

Marsal

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Well I found some of your terrain pics. Not bad but I need much more better.

4. Nestharus

Nestharus

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
  5. Marsal

Marsal

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    I know all the save/load systems on the hive. And I checked it when this is released.
    It's ultimately complicated. I need one that is as simple as possible and only saves the required things.

6. Nestharus

Nestharus

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    It can be configured however you like. However, if you want one that's simple and produces pretty good codes, check Pipedream's at wc3c.net.

However, if you use Pipedream's, you won't be able to do things like only saving the items that exist in the inventory and only saving xp for levels that actually need it and etc... and you won't be able to save things like item charges.

For example, with pipedream's, Pearl East Kingdom's code would have prob been 23 chars w/o saving item charges. With Encoder, it's 9-23 characters (that's w/o saving item charges ofc).

But again, if it is simplicity that you are after, Pipedream's is the best way to go.

Now if you want as simple as possible, then you can use something like Acehart's at thehelper.net (GUI friendly too), but that'd prob be 34-37 characters long.

We're actually discussing save/load systems at this thread: http://www.thehelper.net/forums/sho...hat-s-your-favorite-save-load-system-and-why-)

7. Marsal

Marsal

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    And it's fully in JASS or I can download it in vJASS...
    TriggerHappy's system could be good but it's difficult to add things like skills,skill levels,talent tree things,charges remaining(oh I forgot to add the durability system to the thread ~.~),etc...
    I checked Acehart's system and I don't know :/ It's filled with big ammount of triggers but if I see it correctly, there is one that combines the previous ones so I just have to copy 4-5 triggers.

8. Nestharus

Nestharus

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Well, here is some info-

some data can be compressed down to 7 characters-
    Pipedream's does it perfectly
    Encoder does it perfectly
    CodeGen does it to 16
    Acehart's does it to around 16 I think it was

So just keep in mind that if you don't use Pipedream's save/load system or Encoder, you're going to have a code that's way more massive than it needs to be.

For more information on why, check out intro to save/load in this tutorial (goes over the mechanics of save/load, no code)
    http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/jass-ai-scripts-tutorials-280/saving-loading-192851/

You can only save that w/ Encoder. No other save/load system can do that, so give up on item charges, lol. And believe me, the catalogs that result from charged items are much more complicated than the norm =P.

Check out the structure of Encoder as compared to others to see why. I mean, you can save item charges, but your code is going to be utterly massive... we're talking a 11-18 char encoder code vs an 18 char Pipedream code (very little info saved), and around 29 for a code generated by Acehart's or CodeGen (again, almost no data saved). And if you want to save everything that you want to save, then it's probably going to bloat up to 27 char or so Pipedream code or a 42ish char Acehart/CodeGen code or a 20-27 char encoder code. This is all w/o security. Add 2-3 chars to encoder/pipedream for security and 4 chars to others for security.

So I really don't suggest saving item charges if you're not using Encoder, and I suggest using Pipedream's as it's your next best bet.

edit
    Visual

Code (Text):

Ace/CodeGen/Etc
    ZZZZZ-ZZZZZ-ZZZZZ-ZZZZZ-ZZZZZ-ZZZZZ-ZZZZZ-ZZZZZ-ZZ

Pipe
    ZZZZZ-ZZZZZ-ZZZZZ-ZZZZZ-ZZZZZ-ZZ

Encoder
    (between these, almost guaranteed never to hit min or max size, will typically stay in middle)
    ZZZZZ-ZZZZZ-ZZZZZ-ZZZZZ
    to
    ZZZZZ-ZZZZZ-ZZZZZ-ZZZZZ-ZZZZZ-ZZ

edit
    I guess if you don't care about the size of the codes that the players have to type in, that's fine ^)^. Just keep in mind that the #1 complaint by players in ORPGs is the code size =P.

Last edited: May 7, 2011
  9. Marsal

Marsal

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    [deleted]

Last edited: Oct 29, 2012
  10. Marsal

Marsal

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Bump.

Added a screenshot of a very early part and much extra information.

11. Khaled

Khaled

Resources:
    Resources:
    You might find this useless, but why don't you just call this Tales of Yrchian 2?
    And if you are going to do so, maybe you should make new heroes and a new story :D

12. Marsal

Marsal

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Well, because 1 is not complete :D that's why I call it v2. It's compeletely different but completely the same at the time ~.~. Well it's a kind of full remake.

Since nobody joined also hardly anyone interested in the map.... I started the map alone.
    Things done:
    Amazon skills:
    • Split Cold Arrows
    • Overgrown
    • Entangling Roots
    Small part of terrain
    Skill trigger calling system
    Half of the Attribute and damage/skill effect level calculation system.

13. Saif

Saif

Resources:
    Resources:
    will wait for the release of the map, I want to be a Beta Tester xD

14. racemania

racemania

Resources:
    Resources:
    If you ever need a beta tester, please contact me.

FYI: I've been a beta tester before. So i can critisize people's work. And i got much spare time.

15. 88WaRCraFT3

88WaRCraFT3

Resources:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    just a suggestion, make an Aggro system or alert system. Cause enemies would always come attack you if they recieve even 0 dmg from you. So you could make that as alert, if spell gives nice sounds. Enemies should come and visit that place. And about aggro, every spell should give aggro. So how bigger aggro is more enemies would come. :)

16. Marsal

Marsal

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    I want to write an AI for not just the bosses but creeps too. But first I make the others :)
    The things I've done so far:
    • Attribute system
    • Small part of terrain
    • All Amazon spells
    • 4 Phoenix Warrior spells
    The concepts I've done with:
    • Buyable item list
    • Craft
    • Repair
    • Recharge
    • Talents and Upgrades and their sequence

17. Legendary

Legendary

Resources:
    Resources:
    I really like this but where can i see the map?

18. Marsal

Marsal

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    At the first page you can see 2 WiP of the new map's terrain. The old one can be downloaded at maps.

19. whitesy

whitesy

Resources:
    Resources:
    hey im interested in being a part of your team. but i have got no experience in this kind of stuff. but i'm interested in the artist role, cus im currently studying games design in school and i'm also having the artist role school for my project. so i thought this could be something where i can learn how to actually ... ya know. >_>

20. TheWhiteWolf

TheWhiteWolf

Resources:
    Models:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I am willing to help you with terraining, maybe making some SFX models, and also can do GUI triggering. I can also do the Artist's job, if I understood the explanation correctly.