• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Swan Knight - The Knight of Dol Amroth

This bundle is marked as lacking. It fails to meet the standard requirements and may only have minor use.
I was requested by Sinandur to create a Portrait for the Dol Amroth Knight. The custom texture and base model does NOT belong to me, however I have the creator's permission to upload:

"Hello. I am alright. Yes i think you do good work. Of course I do not mind. If you upload tha[t] I was very happy for that)."

2016-08-28 1:31 GMT+03:00

The model and texture belongs to QP (qpPyKT)

Keywords:

LOTR, Swan Knight, Gondor, Dol Amroth, Knight, Lord, Of, The, Rings
Contents

Swan Knight - The Knight of Dol Amroth (Model)

Swan Knight - The Knight of Dol Amroth - Portrait (Model)

Reviews
HappyCockroach
You should talk with Sinandur or with whoever did the base model, and find a more precise reference of where does it come from. So whoever is using it can know it, and can give credits appropriately. (Also, an explicit permission should be shown)...
Level 8
Usually the knights of Dol are darkblue, but they look better in black.

Good job in the portrait!

Level 5
Looks like a Mounted Swordman skin with big filesize...

It's not as large as it appears - the actual filesize is 340KB. Admittedly still quite large, but a lot more reasonable for people hunting for LOTR models and skins.

Thank you again for posting it, Casper. And for your portrait work. It's been a pleasure.

One thing, though; the MDX and Portrait paths aren't right.

The Knight.mdx "Full Path" is just "Knight.mdx" and the Knight Portrait is "Knight_Portrait.mdx". If anyone's having trouble, this is why.

I've been using the model for quite some time before this posting and it seems to function flawlessly. Hopefully LOTR mappers will find a use for it. It's one of the best LOTR models I've encountered. I realise we have a good variety of cavalry models on the Hive, but I've asked Casper to put this up as I feel it fills a niche; it gives people two excellent Gondorian cavalry choices.

Glad to see you like the model, Rocker. And yeah, they are normally blue, you're right. 'Course, if you want to, you can always play with their colour values (RGB) in-game to give 'em a tint.

Glad to see the model available for everyone. Been waiting for this ever since I discovered it in QP's map years back.

Edit: I'm still uncertain whether QP originally intended it to be an elite Gondorian knight or a Swan Knight. Though the fact that when I first found it in the map, the unit was referred to as a "Minas Raider", hints strongly towards the former. Honestly, though, it could work quite well for either. It has the colour scheme of Gondor, but the general appearance of a Swan Knight.

I feel the additional (340, as opposed to the Mounted Swordsman's 228) KBs are probably justified by its usefulness...

The rider could also serve quite nicely as cavalry for Annúminas; he looks quite similar to the Annúminas Knight from the popular Third Age: Total War mod for Medieval Total War 2. Particularly the caparison/barding on the horse, the helmet's design and the heraldry on the shield. Perhaps that was QP's inspiration...

Edit: A bit surprised that none of the mods have had a look at the resource yet... I might have to chase one to give this model an "official" status via a review...

I'll give it a bit longer, though. There's probably a lot of other resources they have to wade through...

Last edited:
The custom texture and base model does NOT belong to me, however I have the creator's permission to upload:
"Hello. I am alright. Yes i think you do good work. Of course I do not mind. If you upload tha[t] I was very happy for that)."

2016-08-28 1:31 GMT+03:00

The model and texture belongs to QP (qpPyKT)
Could you show us some page in which QP has his material? Users giving credit might want to point to his domain/profile page. Also, a screenshot of the message in which he allows you to upload it, if you can.

Level 20
Could you show us some page in which QP has his material? Users giving credit might want to point to his domain/profile page. Also, a screenshot of the message in which he allows you to upload it, if you can.

The fullconversation can be found here:

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/conversations/texture-manager-and-material-manager.328015/ - part 3

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/conversations/dol-amroth-knight-submission.328127/ - part 2

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/conversations/uploading-and-file-size.328028/ - part 1

I dunno if these links will redirect you to me and Sinandur's conversation.

Level 5
Sorry for the late response, haven't been checking Hive lately. Ok, so...

I have the link to the forum it came from:

Index of /43773/

Given that the resources here fit the ones in QP's original map (to a tee), I'm inclined to think this was an old forum he used.

As you can see, the Swan Knight parts are here.

Since I've only found this Swan Knight model in the LOTR Risk Stronghold map and on that forum, I'm confident QP is, in fact, its creator.

If that sounds a bit conjectural, I'm afraid that's because it is.

An attribution and general ownership is probably the best I can manage, unless you want me to message QP again and specifically ask after the model.

The thing is, I'm not sure I'll get a more specific response from him; QP is Russian and our communication probably won't be as exact as you'd hope.

Still, that seems to be what you're after, so I'll dig up his current e-mail account and see if I can get something more definite.

It is possible QP isn't the creator, but the impression I got from him is that he is.

-----------------------------------------------

Edit 1: I recall there were some credits in QP's map (so if QP's not the model-maker, we might have another avenue).

Edit 2: Ok, we're in luck - it seems only the credits "title" is in Russian. Here it is:

_________ _______ ________.
NEOF, UserX, Desperadoss. Belfegor, PapaTrust.Melganis.Erkin....

In the past, I did look into these people, but I couldn't find anything to link them to the Swan Knight, which led me to believe it was QP's original creation.

I'm going to message QP in a moment; hopefully we'll get a response sometime in the next week or so.

Last edited:
Level 5
@HappyCockroach

This is the permission e-mail in its original form (with my e-mail redacted, as it contains personal details):

Permission — Postimage.org

Lucky I kept it, eh?

Edit 1: Please, nobody spam his mail. We're all adults here... it's there purely for authenticity's sake. The permission image should remain there permanently, or at least for a month, so plenty of time to check it.

Edit 2: I've sent an e-mail off to QP.

Edit 3: Hopefully what I've provided is enough, but if necessary I'll happily upload more explicit permission once QP gets back to me.

Edit 4: Those looking to credit the resource should credit qpPyKT (model itself) AND Rubellu Sidus (portrait).

Edit 5: Aw, only 4.25 / 5.00, deepstrasz? But look at his horse, his horse is amazing!

---------------------------

Edit 6: No response from QP... (2/3/2017).

---------------------------

Doesn't look like he's going to reply. E-mail might now be defunct, or there may be another issue. Guess this'll be sitting at "awaiting update" for a while...

Last edited: