• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

State of the Union (Warcraft III)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 14
Spellbound, I actualy hate most of "HD-fications" they did for SC2 assets. Especially on orcish heroes, using this stupid generic face of WoW orcs on both Far Seer and Blademaster, ruining most of style and feel of original ones, making some of them weird and uncanny like Paladin's face and beard. It can be done with keeping the style and resemblance at high level just look at Tricerons Blademaster and Demonhunter at sc2mapster
[Model Showcase] Warcraft 3 Heros Revamped - Artist Tavern - Development - SC2 Mapster Forums - SC2Mapster
Besides remaster of Starcraft is nothing more as re-release without these blury/pixelated sprites. Warcraft iii is in full 3D, i would rather like fixes done to the game, not coming over to bnet 2.0 and making it sold on a bit lower price on battle.net app. Because curently it amd all other classics are hidden from most of current blizzard fanbase, and only those who really go ahead looking for keys or retail copies on sale to get it are joinin in.

It could get semi-integration with bnet 2.0 adding steamoverlay like thing where you would have chat and friend lists from bnet2.0. However changing bnet itself for it would need to be done with so much care to preserve everything that it will be too hard for so small team to do.
What could be done is other stuff some would love to get like ways to reconnect, resync with games.(roleplayers want that the most as Disconnections and desyncs ruin everything that was setup with no way to get it back other than just remake it from scratch), but then same they have few resources to make it happen propely.

In short strong No for HD remaster just due to how much damage it would do to game's mapping scene with resources and with how it would split the community between those who play on remaster and those who play "vanilla" we dont need this kind of thing to happen to Wc3.

Improvements, Bnet 2.0 overlay(like steam overlay) and official digital sale of it on battlenet app - Yes

HD remaster - No

Last edited:
Level 1
Duh. Years ago this place become trendy not because of rimming to blizzard, but because it had good vault of stuff. Then creators came here, leaving much more profile-related resources in vain. RIP w3c. And now most of those are gone forever or degraded to low dogs, ASKING fucking BLIZZARD for something, instead of demanding.

It was COMMUNITY who held wc3 alive. Company did nothing. Completely wasting all the chances it had for long 8 years. But sure, lets pretend you are nothing but dust under their feet. Pretend you're exited of incoming BALANCE FUCKING CHANGES in 2017. Pretend you can't see audience getting smaller every day, every patch.

You guys just deserved these patches. All their uselessness. You can't stand a shit for your own creations.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Spellbound, I actualy hate most of "HD-fications" they did for SC2 assets. Especially on orcish heroes, using this stupid generic face of WoW orcs on both Far Seer and Blademaster, ruining most of style and feel of original ones, making some of them weird and uncanny like Paladin's face and beard. It can be done with keeping the style and resemblance at high level just look at Tricerons Blademaster and Demonhunter at sc2mapster
[Model Showcase] Warcraft 3 Heros Revamped - Artist Tavern - Development - SC2 Mapster Forums - SC2Mapster
His models have bad textures/normal making them look kind of out of place...

Also Blizzard did not spend much time on those HD assets. It was clearly something they had planned but had to stop very early during development so all we got were rushed or rough models of a few units.

Heroes of the Storm Samuro looks a lot better, as they spent a lot more time on his model. Same goes for Uther, Sylvanas etc.

Level 17
Dustin Browder and David Kim have moved to "unannounced projects". StarCraft II was a real let down in the social, casual and custom game aspects, which is really what I care about the most.

I feel the same way. I really liked the SC2 campaign, and it was fun to dominate the ladder for the first season, but the social aspect of the game deserves a 1/10 rating. I can't even rate the custom game aspects of SCII because it makes me SOOO furious.

Dustin Browder did the same with Heroes of the Storm: They created a very, very good gameplay, but... The social aspects of the game should be extremely important, yet it is completely nonexistent. They completely botched the matchmaking / ranked systems as well, not to mention PR, and a list of other things. I think in more competent hands HOTS could have been an extremely successful moba instead of the garbage it is now. I'm fearful of a Warcraft IV created by Dustin.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Dustin Browder did the same with Heroes of the Storm: They created a very, very good gameplay, but... The social aspects of the game should be extremely important, yet it is completely nonexistent. They completely botched the matchmaking / ranked systems as well, not to mention PR, and a list of other things. I think in more competent hands HOTS could have been an extremely successful moba instead of the garbage it is now. I'm fearful of a Warcraft IV created by Dustin.
Someone reads forums too much. SC2 arcade is infinitly better than WC3 custom maps (no robots, lists only games with 1 player waiting, etc). HotS match making for ranked is about as good as match making can get, I doubt any game has better. Sure HotS QM and unranked have problems but that is why they are not ranked.

Level 18
Someone reads forums too much. SC2 arcade is infinitly better than WC3 custom maps (no robots, lists only games with 1 player waiting, etc). HotS match making for ranked is about as good as match making can get, I doubt any game has better. Sure HotS QM and unranked have problems but that is why they are not ranked.

DSG I think this is the opinion on someone who is incredibly biased towards SC2...

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
How is that true in any form?
Out of the thousands (possibly hundreds of thousands) of players who play every day on every region, only a dozen complain every day about match making and of those most of them have just lost a match. Most of the complaints are about match making that is occurring in lower leagues such as bronze and silver. Most of the complainants state they play better than those they are matched with without providing any evidence to back up such a statement. As such one can write off most of the ranked complaints as being groundless and those that remain are statistically insignificant so there is no case for the developers having "completely botched the matchmaking".

QM and unranked is a different problem. Since matching speed is a requirement of those modes some of the matches end up being quite unbalanced. Especially when parties are involved some matches can be quite one sided.

Level 18
Out of the thousands (possibly hundreds of thousands) of players who play every day on every region, only a dozen complain every day about match making and of those most of them have just lost a match. Most of the complaints are about match making that is occurring in lower leagues such as bronze and silver. Most of the complainants state they play better than those they are matched with without providing any evidence to back up such a statement. As such one can write off most of the ranked complaints as being groundless and those that remain are statistically insignificant so there is no case for the developers having "completely botched the matchmaking".

QM and unranked is a different problem. Since matching speed is a requirement of those modes some of the matches end up being quite unbalanced. Especially when parties are involved some matches can be quite one sided.

Trust me that if there were denies and other mechanics there would be thousands.

All the HOTS games I've played have been stomps it's not a fun game and the matchmaking is not "perfect", dota has a much better matchmaking.

Level 6
What do you think will happen in the future? how should mapmakers/players react?

The new patches broke so many things that worked for years... I worry it will only get worse with more updates

Status
Not open for further replies.