• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Miscellanous / Other] Starcraft 2 vs Warcraft 3 modding, why did you choose warcraft

Why did you choose to keep modding for Warcraft3 instead of moving to Starcraft2

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 16
I think they removed LAN and everything else, and implemented the "login-to-play" system because that was the easiest and most reliable way to make people have to buy the game. Yea, it's mainly what you said, though. But you don't get the campaigns either, only a few missions, and you still need an account for that. But most importantly, you don't have access to the Galaxy Editor. Now that's what sucks, IMO - letting people use it for free would have meant more maps -> more players.

Level 21
Not everyone - especially kids - have the money to buy this game. Even less have the money to buy multiple games a month, so they have to make choices. I pirated warcraft 3 before I bought it. Do note that I did eventually buy it. I think I'm not the only person that pirates games because he wants to reduce the risk of wasting money on a shitty game. I've played my fair share of shitty games.

This discussion also reminded me of another reason I'm not modding SC2: I hate DRM with a passion. For about a year now I stopped playing DRM-heavy games. I don't care anymore if the game is "legendary good", if it has shitty drm that punishes the people that care enough to buy your product, you lost me. There are enough indie games with light drm (or none at all) out there that have brought me more joy than SC2 has. I'm done with activision blizzard or any other company that continues to treat their customers as criminals.

Besides, the whole argument of removing LAN is stupidly retarded. ALL battle.net 1 games had LAN, so why bother making sequels to *each* of those games? I mean, obviously LAN really screwed their sales on those games to the point they were going bankrupt, right?

Well, if they can separate GE from SCII itself and let people have GE for free, then it's kinda good... But doing so, the maker won't be able to test his maps since he don't have SCII...

so in the end, you'll still have to buy it really if you want a more real-time approach to testing your map...

Not everyone - especially kids - have the money to buy this game.

kids aren't really meant to buy things out on themselves... kids buy things by asking their parents for it...

When I was a kid I was like that too (buy this for me, buy that), and since we don't have much money I mostly failed, but then now that I have a work I realized how hard it is to earn money...

And oh, I also realize how hard it is to make games... You cannot really do the conventional feasibility tests for games, so mostly, you judge feasibility by how well your old gamers liked your old games, or the hype it brought when you announced the development of your game... So in the end, you're putting a lot of money and effort in a product that you don't even know if it will sell well...

And oh, no one forces you to buy SCII or any other games that are not free... Buy it if you want it, if not then don't...

Level 21
I don't know, google trends doesn't seem to be the most scientific approach towards measuring "domination" of games. Especially if your search terms are extremely biased.

For example, you list "tft" as a search term. A simple google search shows "The Frozen Throne" is nowhere to be found when searching for "tft", so at the very least you should add context to that search term: "warcraft 3 tft" instead of simply "tft". Right now you're adding hits for "thin film transistors" to the popularity of warcraft 3.

Secondly, it's unfair to list "tft" as a search term for warcraft 3, and then conveniently ignore "tbc", "wotlk" or "mop" as search terms for world of warcraft. Unity doesn't even get any additional search terms.

Finally, it's also unfair to include websites like "hiveworkshop" or "thehelper" for warcraft 3. Why not add "wowwiki" or "wowarmory" as well? Besides, hiveworkshop also generates traffic for starcraft 2.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
I pirated warcraft 3 before I bought it.
Yes which is where StarCraft II has improved upon. Instead of pirating the game, you can create an account (for free, duh) and then play all arcade content unrestricted as long as you are with (in the same party as) someone who brought the game. If you then like the game (you really enjoy that arcade map or think you can make a better one) then you go out and buy the game.

This is the opposite of WC3 where you were forced to play solo or to expose your computer to the security risk of a WAN network to play.

Showing what I expected, that Unity was taking over indie game dev.
Warcraft III was never used for indi game development. It was used by kids to have fun and part of that fun was making content for others to use.

Indi game development is very much a new concept that has started up in the last few years. It is taking over from nothing before it as before DRM and copyright combined with no cloud computing was too restrictive to get anything done.

Level 21
So I *need* to have an account, I *need* to be online to play, and I *need* to be in a party with someone who has the game legally? I need to expose my computer to the security risk of the entire internet, even when I'm playing with people in my *own* house? Tell me again how this is an "improvement" for the customer? I'm sorry if you've never known the joy of actual LAN games with actual friends, but the faint online experience doesn't even come close.

Slightly related: my battle.net account (that I had to create for some stupid reason I don't know) has been locked because of "suspicious activity", aka "hey our stupid authentication system is stupid as fuck". At this point I just can't be bothered mailing my ID to verify my account. I just don't care anymore.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
I need to expose my computer to the security risk of the entire internet, even when I'm playing with people in my *own* house?
Yes but it is a lot safer than a WAN through LAN because your computer automatically treats everything with suspicion from the Internet but often trusts stuff from a LAN. WANs as such might allow total strangers unrestricted access to computer files if you were not aware of the implications of using them.

Tell me again how this is an "improvement" for the customer?
Before you needed your friend to either...
* Come over with a computer (not everyone has spare computers or as many computers as friends).
* Buy the game to play through BattleNet from their homes.

Seeing how the first point is mostly out of the question for most people, the second point is drastically improved upon as now only 1 of a group needs to own the game.

I'm sorry if you've never known the joy of actual LAN games with actual friends, but the faint online experience doesn't even come close.
I think you are just making up stuff that is not truly there. Playing with someone you know is the same whether they are in the same room or in a different home. If you really want them in the same room, you still can have them since most internet connections are LAN wide now anyway and the bandwidth an RTS game uses is minimal.

Slightly related: my battle.net account (that I had to create for some stupid reason I don't know) has been locked because of "suspicious activity", aka "hey our stupid authentication system is stupid as fuck". At this point I just can't be bothered mailing my ID to verify my account. I just don't care anymore.
That occurs when ever you change IP domains spontaneously. An example would be logging in mostly from home and then trying from your University. As the IP domains are very different it locks your account. This is one of the many forms of protection Blizzard uses to stop hackers.

What makes me concerned is you said "mailing my ID to verify my". Blizzard never asks you to mail them anything. If it truly says mail your ID, then that means it is a scam email and your account is not locked.

To restore a locked account.
1. Go to BattleNet website from the IP domain you want to use the account.
2. Try and log in to the account using their account management.
3. You will be presented with a choice of ways to unlock the account.
3.a. Enter the licence of a game attached to your account. If you brought a physical copy of a game, this is the way to solve it as you simply open the case and re-insert the key.
3.b. Enter your secret question. This is how you unlock accounts with no games on them.
4. After completing the above, Blizzard will send you an email with a link to reset your password. It will ask you for a new password that has to be different from the old one.
5. You can now use your account again.

It takes under 5 minutes to do the above. It is not even Blizzards fault they added that form of protection, blame the hundreds of hackers that try and steal accounts and ruin the fun of people.

Level 17
The only reason I would even consider buying SC2 any version is to create medieval/fantasy mods cause I REALLY REALLY dislike scifi, by creating my own models and because clearly its engine is far superior to WC3, graphic wise as well as editor wise. Warcraft 3 is really ancient but hearing how fucked up the hosting system is on BNET I remain on WC3, plus I have some campaigns I want to create and I can't do that in SC2.

Level 21
I still don't think you've figured out the point of LAN gaming... You know, inviting friends over to your home? You know, friends you can trust on your "insecure" network?

What makes me concerned is you said "mailing my ID to verify my". Blizzard never asks you to mail them anything. If it truly says mail your ID, then that means it is a scam email and your account is not locked.
It's not a scam, and when I wrote "mail" I really meant "attach to a support ticket". The problem is that I can't unlock my account through "traditional" means because:
a. Only battle.net 2 product keys are accepted, and the main reason I was trying to log in in the first place was to look up a product key. I only physically have warcraft 3 product keys available, and they're not accepted. Thanks, Blizzard.
b. My secret question is 4 years old now, and I don't know the answer. Frankly, I don't know the answer to any of my secret questions. Passwords are hard enough to remember.
Long story short: I need to provide id verification.

At this point, I can't be bothered anymore. It's bad enough blizzard treats us as criminals that have to be online every second we play, I don't think I'm going to have blizzard treat me like a hacker.

Level 17
I still don't think you've figured out the point of LAN gaming... You know, inviting friends over to your home? You know, friends you can trust on your "insecure" network?

It's not a scam, and when I wrote "mail" I really meant "attach to a support ticket". The problem is that I can't unlock my account through "traditional" means because:
a. Only battle.net 2 product keys are accepted, and the main reason I was trying to log in in the first place was to look up a product key. I only physically have warcraft 3 product keys available, and they're not accepted. Thanks, Blizzard.
b. My secret question is 4 years old now, and I don't know the answer. Frankly, I don't know the answer to any of my secret questions. Passwords are hard enough to remember.

At this point, I can't be bothered anymore. It's bad enough blizzard treats us as criminals that have to be online every second we play, I don't think I'm going to have blizzard treat me like a hacker.

lol, leg bracelet =)) But seriously, he's right. I mean wtf, no LAN, must publish maps in order to play them, can't play downloaded maps from sc2 must open editor first or drag drop them in the *.exe...yeah, and wtf is with being online all the time ? I for one have little or no connection most of the time and even if I did It's just stupid plain and simple.

Why couldn't they add all the features Warcraft 3 had ? Why ? If by some miracle they would add/fix the before mentioned I swear I would buy one copy of SC2 every year for as long as it's played !

Last edited:
Level 7
I sure don't miss the fact of uploading a map to the people in the game lobby... the publishing system is a lot better compared to the old one

And BTW cmon guys, LAN has always been an excuse for easily play the cracked game by using hamachi... the amount of people that owns the game and need this feature is really small.
Only competitive gaming would need it to solve the common lag issues... however it's still a small part of the community!

Level 25
I sure don't miss the fact of uploading a map to the people in the game lobby... the publishing system is a lot better compared to the old one

And BTW cmon guys, LAN has always been an excuse for easily play the cracked game by using hamachi... the amount of people that owns the game and need this feature is really small.
Only competitive gaming would need it to solve the common lag issues... however it's still a small part of the community!

So these minorities should just be alienated and ignored?

I agree that the PUBLISHING system is a great improvement, and the maps market also had great potential. But in terms of execution, I still prefer war3's custom lobbies.

Level 32
The only reason I would even consider buying SC2 any version is to create medieval/fantasy mods cause I REALLY REALLY dislike scifi, by creating my own models and because clearly its engine is far superior to WC3, graphic wise as well as editor wise. Warcraft 3 is really ancient but hearing how fucked up the hosting system is on BNET I remain on WC3, plus I have some campaigns I want to create and I can't do that in SC2.

You can't HATE sci-fi to much? You want to destroy the idea of it?

Anyways about Battle.net, much of the hosting are not by auto bots, they are filled with public bots so anyone can go to makemehost.com and host.

No download, no cost, no hassle. It has a nice small little community.

About the pole: People aren't to rich on Hiveworkshop.

Level 17
You can't HATE sci-fi to much? You want to destroy the idea of it?

Anyways about Battle.net, much of the hosting are not by auto bots, they are filled with public bots so anyone can go to makemehost.com and host.

No download, no cost, no hassle. It has a nice small little community.

About the pole: People aren't to rich on Hiveworkshop.

Don't know what you mean, I simply want to create medieval maps in SC2 not destroy Scifi ! If you like it good for you, as for me spells and magic are more important than booooolets and explosions ! :D

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
I do know about that and that is what LAN is meant to be. The problem is only about 1/100 people use it for that, the rest use it with a private WAN (that is public) to bypass authentication so they can play internet multiplayer without buying the game. That is the reason no developers add LAN support anymore outside of open source games, since few people use it for the intended purpose and instead use it as a method to get more from a pirated game.

You cannot blame them for your mistakes. They did make it very clear to you that the secret question is very important and should never be lost or told to anyone. That is why the question is meant to be a question, so you can give an answer without knowing the question (although now I think they demand you known the question as well, sigh...).

It's bad enough blizzard treats us as criminals that have to be online every second we play, I don't think I'm going to have blizzard treat me like a hacker.
Since most people are online all the time anyway, being online all the time to play makes no difference. Yes it is annoying when your internet goes down but hay, I am playing with other people so if my internet goes down I am gone anyway.

Blizzard does that protection to prevent hackers hijacking your account and stealing your game content. This is important if you play their games seriously as being one of the top players in SC2 and getting banned for hacking would be very bad. They could sell all your D3 gear and make over £1,000 if you are a serious player. WoW they could also make some serious money stealing your gear and flogging it, which is why more and more of the top items are account bound. You are a victim of security that is needed to prevent other people ruining your game, do not blame Blizzard but the losers who forced them to add the security in the first place.

Level 7
So these minorities should just be alienated and ignored?

I agree that the PUBLISHING system is a great improvement, and the maps market also had great potential. But in terms of execution, I still prefer war3's custom lobbies.

No, I mean that the amount of people that were using LAN in a legit way is a lot lower then the ones that were using it for cracked multiplayer gaming.
Consider even the amount of times you would use this feature.... 1 or 2 in your life?
Anyway you can still play over b.net in a LAN so I don't see the problem!

The complaining about LAN was so over exaggerated that I think it was greatly caused by crackers that wanted to play online for free.

Level 25
No, I mean that the amount of people that were using LAN in a legit way is a lot lower then the ones that were using it for cracked multiplayer gaming.
Consider even the amount of times you would use this feature.... 1 or 2 in your life?
Anyway you can still play over b.net in a LAN so I don't see the problem!

The complaining about LAN was so over exaggerated that I think it was greatly caused by crackers that wanted to play online for free.

I've spent about 3 times as much time in offline LAN than on battle.net. To put that in hours, somewhere between 2000-3000.

Internet is crappy in my country. At bigger LAN events, we don't even have internet. So no, in that case you can't just "lan over bnet", because you cannot connect to bnet.

But of course I'm a minority, screw my opinion and my fun.

Level 25
No you cant. A good example are LAN sc2 tournaments where lag and disconnects happend because the internet or bnet was failing. Its not real LAN its still communicating over the bnet server first.

AFAIK, the game itself is local, the internet is just needed to authenticate.

Another thing that has to be mentioned: battlenet maintenance. Being unable to play your game for a few hours, not even single-player.

You might say "but you dont need to play the game 24/7! go do something else", but the point is that it's a step back from just about every other game before it.

Level 21
I do know about that and that is what LAN is meant to be. The problem is only about 1/100 people use it for that, the rest use it with a private WAN (that is public) to bypass authentication so they can play internet multiplayer without buying the game. That is the reason no developers add LAN support anymore outside of open source games, since few people use it for the intended purpose and instead use it as a method to get more from a pirated game.
1 out of 100 people? Not only is that a number pulled straight out of a black hole, it's still a gigantic number of people. And if you think all those people that abuse lan will suddenly buy the game because there's no LAN play, you're very naive. So back to my point: why do they waste all this effort annoying the crap out of people who DO buy the game on people who won't buy the game in the first place? Besides, like you said: you can play with a pirated copy as long as you're in a party with someone who owns the game. So AGAIN: If you don't even have to buy the game to play, why did they remove LAN? Why do I HAVE to be on battle.net to play a game I BOUGHT?

It reminds me of the days I watched DVD movies on my television. The people that bought or rented the actual thing got to watch 10 minutes of unstoppable copyright warnings, while the people that pirated the movie just got to watch it. DRM doesn't stop piracy, it never has, it never will. All DRM does is punish customers who apparently submit to it as if it's a "necessary" thing.

You cannot blame them for your mistakes. They did make it very clear to you that the secret question is very important and should never be lost or told to anyone.
I'm not blaming them for forgetting my answer. I'm blaming them for locking my account in the first place. No matter how you twist or turn things, they started the bullshit and they started it for no reason.

Besides, secret questions are the most stupid way to "secure" an account. Either the answer is so obvious (mother's maiden name?) anyone could just google it or you're treating it as a "secondary" password regardless of the question asked, which apparently isn't very secure since they supposedly got your primary password. A product key makes more sense, except that they don't accept warcraft 3. Again: my fault? Don't think so.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
And if you think all those people that abuse lan will suddenly buy the game because there's no LAN play, you're very naive.
Except they will not try and force people who have brought the game to not play on the official servers as is happening with WC3. I have brought WC3 but it is virtually every day someone asks why I am not on Gonarea or whatever those private WAN through LAN networks are.

Besides, like you said: you can play with a pirated copy as long as you're in a party with someone who owns the game.
Pirated?! This is the demo version Blizzard themselves GIVE you. All you need is to make an account (free) and then download basic, nothing more Is required.

So AGAIN: If you don't even have to buy the game to play, why did they remove LAN?
Because now at least 1 person is required to have brought the game to play. Seeing how most of the value of the game is online, stopping people playing completely for free using private WAN through LAN is a huge thing.

Why do I HAVE to be on battle.net to play a game I BOUGHT?
You do not, nothing stops you playing the campaign offline after a brief activation (which can be faked). You only need to be online to play multiplayer, which is obvious.

It reminds me of the days I watched DVD movies on my television. The people that bought or rented the actual thing got to watch 10 minutes of unstoppable copyright warnings, while the people that pirated the movie just got to watch it. DRM doesn't stop piracy, it never has, it never will. All DRM does is punish customers who apparently submit to it as if it's a "necessary" thing.
That is the fault of idiots abusing the "lock input" flag of the DVD specification. Proper 100% quality pirated films still suffer that problem as they are not ripped at 50% of the bandwidth for 33% of the quality and are instead 1:1 copies. Only the poor rips which do reduce quality by re-encoding remove those to save file size.

You could simply get a player which is not 100% specification compliant and so ignores the "lock" flags. My favourite is vlc as it is free, open source (so not scam ware) and will automatically start on the main menu, ready to play the film and ignores all "lock" flags.

I'm not blaming them for forgetting my answer. I'm blaming them for locking my account in the first place. No matter how you twist or turn things, they started the bullshit and they started it for no reason.
They started it because other people try and steal your accounts. Welcome to cyber crime.

Either the answer is so obvious (mother's maiden name?) anyone could just google it or you're treating it as a "secondary" password regardless of the question asked, which apparently isn't very secure since they supposedly got your primary password.
Primary password can be key-logged and changed very easily. As you use the Secret Question less it is much harder to steal so acts as a backup to recover your account after hackers have changed the password on it. They are also not as "google-able" as you think as a lot of account theft is automated (yes people write programs to steal accounts).

The best is something cryptic that you write down somewhere secure. Even a file is secure comparatively as computers have so many, hackers often do not know where to look. Best is on a piece of paper as that is completely safe from hackers.

It is when some ******* hacker attaches an unauthorized authenticator to your account that their security really pisses people off.

Level 25
There is nothing valuable with WC3 and SC2 to steal. D2, D3 and WoW on the other hand...

That is exactly the point - by forcing SC2 to be online, even for LAN or singleplayer, you are unnecessarily opening your account to possible attack.

And why not? Ever tried playing MMO's that you need to buy?

Yes except SC2 isn't an MMO.

That is exactly the point - by forcing SC2 to be online, even for LAN or singleplayer, you are unnecessarily opening your account to possible attack.

Huh? I play SP offline... you just need to log-in once a month (I think it is once in a month) to verify account... Now if it's about logging in on another computer, maybe in a shop, then simply just play in your own comp...

Yeah it's not an MMO, but the argument sent was general too... It was just said that "Why do I HAVE to be on battle.net to play a game I BOUGHT?"

And oh, I think it was clearly said that you don't actually buy SCII, just a license to play SCII...

Personally, I think that if your friends have money to buy SCII, I think they would have internet connections too...

IDK if it was just because I've grown up quite a bit now or maybe it's the fact that as I went more into programming or maybe because I now have a job so I learned how hard it is to earn money (not just as a worker but for the company as a whole), but I just seem to understand why they would do things like this...

If this happened a few years back (before I bought SCII), maybe I'd have the same rants... but now, nah... Especially when Cloud computing is getting popular, trend is that things are going online... It's not always good, but that's where we're headed...

Level 19
You forgot an option..

The max map size in SC2 is absolutely abysmal compared to WC3. I got about an hour worth of gameplay in an entire 256x256 SC2 map (Sorry but I like fast-paced gameplay :O)

Its also such a huge drag to use the data editor, copy and pasting units takes up to a half hour if u dont know how to use actors correctly

Level 29
I'm already working on a wc3 project and I don't want to restart from 0
Never planned on moding even though I bought it SC2 last year coz I dont want to restart again and Im occupied with other games...the problem also with SC2 editor is there are no popular or 'hit' games unlike WC3's dota...
And if Im not mistaken, all triggers are in GUI, not custom text such as jass...

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
The max map size in SC2 is absolutely abysmal compared to WC3
It is actually the same, just cliffs are twice the size and pathing map is half the resolution per tile. The key in SC2 is to avoid using cliffs and instead use objects for walls (cliffs are meant for walkability, not barriers). Scale everything down by about 50% and zoom camera closer. Suddenly you turn a tiny map into a huge map.

Obviously this does not count the XXL maps that were only possible using third-part tools. They generally performed so bad that few map makers used them fully.

Also and hour of gameplay is not bad seeing how retaining players for more than 15 minutes is hard.

.the problem also with SC2 editor is there are no popular or 'hit' games unlike WC3's dota...

Uhm, do you know how long wc3 has been out before DotA was released? and how long it took before DotA became popular? compare that to how long SCII has been out...

but personally, I bought the game to play the normal style maps and the campaign... custom maps are just extras...

And if Im not mistaken, all triggers are in GUI, not custom text such as jass...

There is, Galaxy is the scripting used in SCII editor...

Rui

Rui

Level 41
Although the Data editor was intimidating, I endlessly ranted about the lack of assets and how hard it would be to simulate medieval environments even before SC2 was in Beta, against PurplePoot's insisting ad hominem.
Turns out it was a prophecy fulfilled, especially judging from the results of this poll (good idea, by the way).

OTHER: Map size and ground tile limitations. As soon as I opened the editor and realized maximum size was 256x256 with preset ground tiles, I knew I wasn't going to like it.

Oh, and I have problems with censorship as well, but I never had a taste of that, so I wouldn't know. I found their terms inhibiting on what concerns material from other games. I don't like that, because the music in SC2 is the worst of all their other RTSes.

attachment.php

Attachments

• MyOptions.jpg
    MyOptions.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 227
Status
Not open for further replies.