• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Squiggy's Gallery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ash

Ash

Level 22
Hey, hey, hey, he traced some, if not all of his images from other people's work, claimed it as his own work and didn't even mentioned that there was an original piece, that he was copying/tracing from. How he did not broke any rules?

What is considered THEFT?
Here is a list of what the Hive consider as theft:

* Using images found from the internet to be used as stock images within artwork. You must have permission or mention the author and/or where you found the stock images.

Pretty easy to understand the situation, huh?

As I've said, provide me with the Image source and I'll tell you if it's theft or not. If you want me to be really pedantic, the actual definition of theft is as follows:

"A person is guilty of theft, if he dishonestly appropriates property belonging to another with the intention of permanently depriving the other of it"

What squiggy has done is not theft, as nothing has been stolen. What has happened, if anything, is a breach of Copyright. If you'd like me to be even more pedantic, then I'll tell you that the Hive is breaching copyright law, too--however, I'll leave that for a later discussion.

Squiggy has not 'stolen'--as you and Wulf refer to it as--anything, nor has he passed anything that isn't his off as his own work. He drew the images, being it tracing or not.

I'm almost certain he hasn't expressly said that he owns creative copyright over the images, nor that he created the images himself. He has then, in that sense, done nothing wrong.

Level 35
Squiggy, have you traced any of the artwork?

If so, I'll make a deal with you.

Your thread will remain open and etc, etc, if you give some form of basic credit to the original artists. If you can't find them, make a disclaimer of some sort.

Since this is just tracing, and not a blatant case of ripping, or "taking an image from DA and saying it's yours", I'll take the lenient road.

But ONLY if you place credits or disclaimers on the art that was traced.

I believe this is a fair judgement, much better than closing the thread and neg-rep.

I will also expect that you make "your own" art work from now on, without tracing please :)

Level 28
What squiggy has done is not theft, as nothing has been stolen. What has happened, if anything, is a breach of Copyright. If you'd like me to be even more pedantic, then I'll tell you that the Hive is breaching copyright law, too--however, I'll leave that for a later discussion.

Squiggy has not 'stolen'--as you and Wulf refer to it as--anything, nor has he passed anything that isn't his off as his own work. He drew the images, being it tracing or not.

Okay, I see your point.

I'm almost certain he hasn't expressly said that he owns creative copyright over the images, nor that he created the images himself. He has then, in that sense, done nothing wrong.

But he didn't said that there was an original work. He just posted it here and said something like "bump".

He didn't claimed as his work, but he also didn't mentioned the original work, what is wrong.

I think that an infraction is, maybe, too much, but he can take this as a warning, and mention the original work next time. What do you think about it?

Ash

Ash

Level 22
Well, I agree with what Elenai's said.

Ignorance isn't a defence, either, though. When asked about tracing, or using things as a reference, Squiggy said that he did. He didn't try to hide anything, he didn't say that he made it, he didn't claim they'd copied him; he didn't deny having used other peoples work.

Think of it this way; this skin doesn't say that it is based on Warhammer 40K, should we pursue exactly the same case with the creator of said skin because he didn't give the original authors credit?

Level 28
Sheesh - due to the fact that I got personal business going on which is a 'bit' more imporant as this drama, do whatever you want.
Only tell you this: Werewulf should have stayed with her old name as she's ripping everything into slices and I bet she'll accuse me in further cases just for the lulz

Level 28
Sheesh - due to the fact that I got personal business going on which is a 'bit' more imporant as this drama, do whatever you want.
Only tell you this: Werewulf should have stayed with her old name as she's ripping everything into slices and I bet she'll accuse me in further cases just for the lulz

Since you agree in linking/mentioning the original work in future situations...

Level 19
My try: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/members/138637-albums1106-picture7963.html
138637-albums1106-picture7963.bmp

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.