1. The Aftermath has been revealed for the 19th Terraining Contest! Be sure to check out the Results and see what came out of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Melee Mapping Contest #3 - Results are out! Congratulate the winners and check plenty of new 4v4 melee maps designed for this competition!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The winners of our cinematic soundtrack competition have been decided! Step by the Music Contest #11 - Results to check the entries and congratulate the winners!
    Dismiss Notice

Sprites

Discussion in 'Art and Graphic Designs' started by Scias, Feb 1, 2019.

1. Scias

Scias

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Hi all! Had an idea to pixel some board game miniature-like sprites recently, mostly for my practice of dynamic poses in really small sprites, while trying to push the details aswell.

Been working on these sprites for awhile and shown off a few in my signature, didn't wanna make a post with them all until I had "enough" done.. I don't know how much time I'll have to pixel more of these right now so I'll just post what I've got so far, and possibly update the thread as I make more later on. (unlikely though)

[​IMG]
    The way I've been making them is in the red scale shown on left side, then coloring and adding some extra details into "final, polished" versions on the right side.
    Reason I went with redscale instead of greyscale would be that I just liked the contrast of it better, think it influenced me to think more creative, the red palette kinda felt more "fierce" to work with.

They're Warcraft-inspired but not supposed to be any Warcraft units exactly. The orcs are kinda influenced by "Bastard!!" anime also, being more agile and not all of them being buff and muscular. Except for the last one which is Sylvanas, attempted to put as much details as possible and make it read as Sylvanas in my spriting style.

Feedback and thoughts would be appreciated!

2. PrinceYaser

PrinceYaser

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    Damn, I love them! Not a fan of Orcs tho as a personal preference, hopefully some more cool Undead sprites would be on the way.
    Well, everyone has a respective style. Some love to start by greyscale, some don't.

Looking forward for more!

3. Scias

Scias

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Haha I'm a fan of undeads also, they're my favorite race.. And yeah, unfortunately didn't come up with any designs for them as of yet. I don't really count Sylvanas since she's more of a night elf and she's part of Wc3 characters not my own.

4. Naze

Naze

Arena Moderator

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Haha nice. Going for the redscale must be a good experimentation I guess.

I like them very much. It's impressive how much depth and nuances you were able to convey in such a restricted canvas. The only criticism I have is Sylvannas: it's hard to read what's going on at the head/shoulders area. I could instantly recognize she was Sylvannas, but I couldn't understand which part was supposed to be her shoulder/hood/arrow though.

However I found the redscale version very intuitive to understand (I wonder why =P).

Good work!

5. Gyrosphinx

Gyrosphinx

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    These are so impressive!

6. Scias

Scias

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Thanks. Heh, yeah it was quite interesting and worked out well for me.

Glad you like them! I had some struggle with coloring Sylvanas, the other ones have way brighter colors of my own choice, while for Sylvanas I was trying to pull off a palette more similar to her 3D models in recent WoW cinematics.. This might've caused the issue, should've perhaps stuck with my brighter original colors but I'm not sure if that would've made her read as Sylvanas as well.
    I also did try to push it with the details on her character specifically, like the skulls on the shoulders and such, while keeing my own designs cleaner.. Which resulted in a bit of a mess in readability on this small scale, but it's surprising you find it easier to read on the redscale than the colored version.

Thanks for the compliments and feedback!

Thank you, glad you liked them!