1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. We have recently started the 16th edition of the Mini Mapping Contest. The theme is mini RPG. Do check it out and have fun.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Choose your ride to damnation in the 5th Special Effect Contest Poll.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The winners of the 13th Techtree Contest have been announced!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The 13th Music Contest Poll is up! Vote for the best tracks in this symphony of frost and flame.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Race against the odds and Reforge, Don't Refund. The 14th Techtree Contest has begun!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

[Spoiler]Campaign Story

Discussion in 'StarCraft I & II' started by Edhel-dur, Jul 30, 2010.

1. Statharas

Statharas

Resources:
    Tools:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Stop playing the campaign in casual :v

2. Tyranid

Tyranid

Resources:
    Resources:
    Removing Duran from the story would be incredibly idiotic, as his story was left in such a cliffhanger in SC 1. Also don't think they'll just retcon the hell out of SC 1, as that wouldn't really serve any purpose. We might as well argue that this is all a dream because "Blizzard can do that." Also you said it yourself: Wings of Liberty is just 1/3 of a story, so just because it wasn't in Starcraft 2 YET doesn't mean it won't be there. I'll guarantee that Duran will make an appearance and he is one of the forces behind the Hybrids.

Tell me, what purpose would writing out Duran and Ulrejaz actually serve? At the moment they haven't conflicted with any part of Starcraft 2, in fact they've supported them. There was a Terran installation making Hybrids, which was exactly what Duran was doing in SC 1: making Hybrids with the support of Terrans. Also the Protoss have strange cults associated with the Hybrids which again supports Ulrejaz: a Protoss Dark Archon cult Leader who is closely connected to the Hybrids.

Archimonde was never demoted into a Draenei. Archimonde was never a Draenei. Archimonde was and always has been an Eredar. The Draenei is just a racial offshoot of the Eeredar.

Also comparing gameplay with lore=fail. Kerrigan was strong in SC 2 because she was needed to be a boss character. If she had similar stats to what she had in SC 1 she would have been too easy and a really boring fight. Also she could devastate BCs in SC 1 too, mostly because she had Psionic Storm.

3. I-am-murloc

I-am-murloc

Resources:
    Resources:
    Just a quick lore-question: If you take this artifact that was used against Kerrigan and use it against the hybrids, would they turn into Protoss? :O

Last edited: Jul 31, 2010
  4. deathreaven

deathreaven

Resources:
    Resources:
    As well as the fact that time has past. You don't exactly expect someone to get all that much weaker over the course of a game...usually the big bad person is supposed to be powerful. And possible, but they wouldn't be full protoss.

5. Tyranid

Tyranid

Resources:
    Resources:
    Could also be that they also suck the Protoss, as in some of the Novels there have been Xel'naga artifacts which suck both Zerg and Protoss. The Hybrids could also be immune to the artifacts as they already possess a fused form of the 2 purities.

6. Grey Nightmare

Grey Nightmare

Resources:
    Resources:
    This ^

I am sure there will be plenty of "epic" battles to come, probably similar to the final Reign of Chaos one... all the races unite against the hybrids? :eek:

I dunno exactly but have faith! The campaign was the best bit about sc2 so far =) (imo)

7. saphiree

saphiree

Resources:
    Resources:
    I really have to say, I felt let down by the story in the campaign, and I know there is a lot of people feeling this way, just look at the official forums, and I don't think that this being 1/3 of a trilogy is any excuse for not making an epic story.
    Really, there is just way too few plot twists and surprises, for it to be interesting, and it does not even feel like the missions themselves are really connected to each other, it just feels like the missions are separated from each other, and doesn't really connect to each other in any way.
    They really need to make something happen in hearth of the swarm, as this, compared to Blizzards usual standard when it come to stories, just ain't good enough!

8. Edhel-dur

Edhel-dur

Resources:
    Resources:
    That's because. . .only the missions which involve artifact recovering and those on Char are actually part of the main storyline.
    Others are optional. Even those when you play as protoss are optional. Most other missions are just about Raynor going to "!", doing the job, returning to "?", <Complete Quest>, You have been rewarded 40,000 golds. . .ah I mean credits, in order to finance his revolution.

Sadly, it seems that 'Heart of the Swarm' will be about Kerrigan doing missions in order to gain more psy-power over the zerg (and not in a RTS manner but with a RPG style), while in 'Legacy of the Void' it will about Zeratul trying to unite all the protoss tribes into one fighting force.
    So most likely we will not see any kind of story flow anyway near to either SC orignal or SC:BW.

The missions themselves are good. . .gameplay wise. They are fun and engaging.

Someone will bash me for saying this. . .going a little off-topic here, in the Harry Potter series. . .in the 6th Book. . .at least some of my friends completly missed the point of it. It was a book meant to show us . . .who the enemy really was. . .who was the hero actually fighting with. It was meant to show us the enemy not only as a target but as a character. I don't see how we will be able to learn anything significant about our enemies in the next two expansions, at least not if Blizzard won't notch it up a bit. Still, I'm curious to see how Blizzard will approach the next expansions.

9. Gauntlet2021

Gauntlet2021

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I finished the campaign about 2 hours ago, and it didn't seem too bad to me. Seemed good actually. I think the issue with the lack of epic scale is due to their new method of storytelling; focussing on one character makes the scope more limited, otherwise it'll come off as too unbelievable. I expect Heart of the Swarm and Legacy of the Void will fix this, but it was definitely noticeable this time around. Overall though, I was satisfied with the story.

Not including the Protoss arc... that whole thing seemed out of place and at least partially unbelievable. Dialogue was way off, and that whole Tassadar thing seemed ridiculous to me. Perhaps if Zeratul found traces of Tassadars energy in the Overmind's husk or something it would be plausible in-world, but it seemed like a pointless cameo appearance to me. And all the lore-breaking moments... at least they acknowledge that they were lore-breaking, but then basically say that's technically not, without elaborating on the details.

I agree that Kerrigan was off too, but I think the other characters were well done. Well, my issue with Kerrigan is the same as my issue with the Zerg portrayal in the Campaign. Yeah, you know she's a bad guy, people seem to know she's a big deal, but she doesn't come across as frightening or deadly to the degree you'd expect. And why the fire magic? Why orange? I could see purple for the Zerg affiliation, green for being her original colour, or blue for the psionic power, but orange has no connection to her at all. In my opinion, her up-close-and-personal style of combat from Starcraft is part of what made her seem vicious; I'm not seeing how fire-powers came into it at all.

Although this isn't really an issue for people who didn't play the original game, the huge voice changes in Protoss characters really threw me off. They're not bad voice actors (although Zeratul's dialogue was just...really awkward in places), but they're very different. Zeratul sounds alright, but not at all like before...his voice really stood out to me before. More noticeable was when Artanis appeared; I had no clue who it was until I read the name.

I'm still waiting for the epic scale to return, considering the only real non-character driven thing that changed in Wings of Liberty was the Queen of Blades (presumably) not being an enemy anymore. I was disappointed that there were no Installation levels or other horror-inducing moments, but I did enjoy the campaign overall. Hopefully Heart of the Swarm will bring about the turn towards an awe-inspiring epic.

I did like that Blizzard was willing to kill off characters though. I was worried that the 'you control Raynor' angle would mean characters wouldn't die off through the course of the story.

10. Tyranid

Tyranid

Resources:
    Resources:
    I'm with you here. I really wish Blizzard would have brought back more of the old voice actors. Now bringing back Zeratul would be impossible, as his old VA is dead, but why change characters like Kerrigan? Tricia Helfer is good and all, but in my opinnion she doesn't fit Kerrigan. I have no idea why Blizzard replaced Glynnis Talken Cambell with Tricia (except for the star reputation), especially since Glynnis said she would have liked to play Kerrigan again.

Did you play the bonus mission? If I remember correct that was an installation mission. And I agree with you that they really need to bring back the "epic scale". I hope Heart of the Swarm delivers, althought these 1 race campaigns kinda concern me. I hope Legacy of the Void ends with more than just the Protoss point of view for the final battle.

11. mrzwach

mrzwach

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    wat. The reason why Kerrigan died easily in SC1 was because she was controlled by the player. Having her uber imba would mean making the zerg campaign essentially retarded.

12. Edhel-dur

Edhel-dur

Resources:
    Resources:
    I would have made Kerrigan from the last mission a little more. . .cooler.
    For once as she walks towards you. . .zerg units unborrow as she gets closer to your base. . .first a couple of zerglings maybe. . some roaches / hydras. . .than some Ultralisks. . .so when she arrives, she would have arrived with some army to back her up.
    Second of all. . .instead of giving her 1k hp. . .I would have given her some kind of shield ability which would give her 1k damage absorbtion. Than when the shield is down. . .she would retreat to gather her energies untill she can reuse the shield. That would have made more sense than just have her coming towards you solo with 1k hp (although she isn't taller than a marine...) and than at 1 hp left. . .she doesn't die.

13. Gauntlet2021

Gauntlet2021

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Actually, I don't believe I have, but you've got me interested. How do I find this mission?

14. Edhel-dur

Edhel-dur

Resources:
    Resources:
    IN the mission 'Media Blitz" go to the bottom right corner and destroy a science facilit, it will drop a Data Disc upon death which will unlock the mission. However you can't play the mission if you have already left for char. The mission will not unlock unless you return to an earlier save than 'Media Blitz' or start the campaign all over again. Or till maybe Blizzard will fix it through a patch or something.

YouTube helps:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWqbKsZ0IM4

Also a similar thread started on official forums: http://eu.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/169527133

Last edited: Aug 1, 2010
  15. Puncho

Puncho

Resources:
    Resources:
    Tassadar said he existed in the void. Void= WH40K Warp(Place where spirits go) :grin:
    WH40K combines futuristic space stuff with magical/supernatural powers. Starcraft draws inspiration from it, therefore Tassadars "cameo appearance" makes perfect sense. I personally found it cool.

16. RedZack

RedZack

Resources:
    Resources:
    I bet there are lots of people who finish SC2 in a day, but there are also people who can finish the SC1 campaign in a day. You can´t rate a game as short, just some people play games as fast as machines.

At the moment I play on the SC2 campaign on hard. And as you see Iam still busy since the release. Well I play max 2hours a day, and I replay every mission till I got all archivments or got bored.

There are people who can eat 10 burgers in 30 min. is that a reason for you to don´t eat burgers?

Anyway, Iam satisfied with SC2, so far.
    I think Blizzard kept all their promisses. I don´t know what exactly some people expected to get. But compare SC2 with other startegy games?
    Yes, there is no competition.

If you want a game that promisses much but keep less, when buy Spore or Black and White.
    I still remeber when they announced how great Spore is, and all-in-one.

And even the storyline of Starcraft, which game can competite with that?
    Starcraft is almost like a movie, but you playing it.

So if you are dissapointed in any way, just dont expect the impossible, cause you will never get a game that is advanced like a swiss army knife!

17. Gauntlet2021

Gauntlet2021

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Thanks for that, I withdraw my complaint about lack of Installation level...that was pretty enjoyable, I must admit.
    As a side note, replaying Media Blitz had me feeling a little nostalgic...which is pretty odd considering it only came out very recently. I stand by my statements though; game was good and well developed, but lacked scale, and the protoss arc was out of place.
    Also I wish Mira Han and Nova had bigger roles, but oh well.

It still seems unbelievable to me. It would be the equivalent of Duke (for example) reappearing as a ghost (spirit, not agent) before Raynor to tell him of the future. It was the low point of the game in my opinion, but I'm sure there's a lot of people that agree with you instead, since I assume the vast majority of internal testers must have enjoyed the moment.