• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Splatter

User who uploaded this Presents

Splatter
Created by normalice

Map Info:
I was actually acquaintances (I won't go so far as to say "friends") with the player "Taurenuapart" (or maybe it's "taurenyouapart" - it's been a while..) who was at the top of the FFA ladder ~12 years ago. Anyway, he informed me that the optimal strategy for FFAs was to amass gold mines, build three of every building, and tech everything so that you can quickly adapt to enemy armies by training counters quickly. A great strategy, really, so of course I tried to wreck it with this map. Expansions are somewhat heavily guarded here, and not exactly in abundance. The creeps, in general, are probably a little harder than they ought to be, but creeping is not the purpose of an FFA, so that shouldn't matter.

Features:

Goblin shops are in abundance. There is one on each edge of the map, and then one right in the center.

And of course, I have my 'trademark' waygates in the map. They are in the four corners - their intent is for latter game, once a victor of each of the smaller subsets 3-player FFAs have been decided.

There are fountains of health in each corner, next to the waygates. Each of these fountains, and in fact the expansion gold mines as well, is placed in a hole so that defending them is an 'uphill' battle. The idea is that it always gives a minor advantage to the person attacking - under the impression that the person with the gold mine already has an advantage.

One creep at each fountain also has a chance of dropping a rune of the watcher, so that the person who conquers it first then gets to see when his enemies are most vulnerable (assuming no one is maphacking..)

There are two sets of trees at the starting location. The closest ones are 'dead' trees and are rather sparse. the idea behind this is to provide cover for towering (if desired). The trees that are further away can be cut down to reveal a merc camp, and enemy bases. Strategic use of wood workers is, thus, vital on this map.

And there are four taverns placed between the sets of bases.
tion

Updates:
modified terrain to take away some of the 'sharp' edges
added some trees to the starting locations
-
removed dragons guarding waygates
added some yellow camps
adjusted drops accordingly

Other work:
Pack

Keywords:
FFA
Contents

Splatter (Map)

Reviews
Orcnet12:13, 29th May 2013 map re-moderate Splatter (No Version/s Stated) RateScorePercentLetter 5/591-100A RateScorePercentLetter 4/581-90%B RateScorePercentLetter 3/575-80%C RateScorePercentLetter 2/570-74%D...

M

1b5e5a7776e87f86f9c6951fa3dad711_64508.gif
Orcnet12:13, 29th May 2013

Comment

Review

map re-moderate
Splatter (No Version/s Stated)

Rate
ScorePercentLetter
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
5/591-100A

Rate
ScorePercentLetter
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
4/581-90%B

Rate
ScorePercentLetter
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
3/575-80%C

Rate
ScorePercentLetter
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
2/570-74%D

Rate
ScorePercentLetter
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
1/550-69%F

Overview:

Gameplay

addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif

"Splatter" is a 12 player melee map.

"At first I thought the main lumber harvesting area is little but thanks to the surrounding lumbers it went well, also such 12 player map is suitable for a 3 team game so another good point for that, but somehow Waygates don't need neutral camps so ditch the blue dragons guarding and everything is fine."

Terrain

addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif

"Terrain is fine, the deep water that blocks the surrounding main bases is a good call and more over of the wide space of the map, the tile sets made a good impression for detail."

Management

addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif

"To conclusion, this 12 player map is a good addition to the melee genre."

Total Score:

Rate
ScorePercentLetter
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
10/1583%B

Level 6
i think this map can be a fast game because players are very near and so the gold mine (if you want to have the second) (just think so and sr about my bad english if i have mistake :p)

Level 13
is it kinda small for 12 players?
it wont last long

the intra-triplet distance is small, yes. But the inter-triplet distance is fairly large. I expect on this map (as with all of my 12-player FFA maps) that one player will emerge from each group of three very rapidly, but then the 'four-player' FFA that follows will take quite a bit of time.

Level 14
the intra-triplet distance is small, yes. But the inter-triplet distance is fairly large. I expect on this map (as with all of my 12-player FFA maps) that one player will emerge from each group of three very rapidly, but then the 'four-player' FFA that follows will take quite a bit of time.

Makes sense in its own way
the idea that one player from 3 will "emerge" is cool ::ogre_datass:

Level 13
I played this map on Bnet before I saw it here with a friend. This is a very balanced map with interesting terrain features. It plays very well, and has a unique feel because you can hide in the outskirts or bring the chaos to the center. Balanced creep camps, great arrangements. 5/5 simply one of the best!
wow. thank you. I only made it on a whim - when hosting another map of mine someone casually suggested i should make a 12-player FFA map, since they seem to be in short supply. This was the result.

I only hosted this map once, and my lag was so bad that it was virtually unplayable, unfortunately.. That was about four years ago. Nice to know it made its rounds from there. I also put it up on epic war as well, but came to this site because there is no way to give feedback on epic war :-/.

anyway, thanks again. If you happen to know of anywhere that I can find replays of people using this map, I'm kind-of desperate to see it in action..

anyway, thanks again. If you happen to know of anywhere that I can find replays of people using this map, I'm kind-of desperate to see it in action..

Haha, I don't know of any, you might have to host it and make them yourself. Do you know a good screen capture program? I have tried FRAPS and CamStudios but I wasn't thrilled with the results.

Level 13
Waygates don't need neutral camps so ditch the blue dragons guarding and everything is fine
i was actually toiling over this quite a bit. I do agree that dragons are a bit harsh, but ideally I would like them to be guarded by 'something.' Would you say changing it to ground creeps is a good idea? Or are you quite certain that eliminating the creeps altogether is a better idea?

I'm just a little hesitant to eliminate any creep camps, since there are so few of them to begin with.

Do you know a good screen capture program?
I just use the print-screen button, myself.

Level 3
oh, thank you.

Do you have/will you have replays posted?

one bot game :

http://clan-fmls2.lunaghost.com/24470.w3g

Point is its harder to make a custom map filled on bot since it does not show up as much as official maps in game list. I plan to add this map manually on bot cycle on week ends when there are more people.

That splatter game filled out in like 5 minutes last week end.

Also if you have any project of other ffa maps, let us know!

thks

Level 13
one bot game :

http://clan-fmls2.lunaghost.com/24470.w3g

Point is its harder to make a custom map filled on bot since it does not show up as much as official maps in game list. I plan to add this map manually on bot cycle on week ends when there are more people.

That splatter game filled out in like 5 minutes last week end.

Also if you have any project of other ffa maps, let us know!

thks
oh neat!
It's an older version of the map, but hooray for epicwar - I downloaded the older version. Watching it now...

Here are all of my maps:
1v12v23v34v44-FFA6-FFA3v3v3v312-FFA

Ten Paces
x

Ripple
x xx

Ancient Arena
x

Hegemony
xxxxx

Splatter
x xx

Heirarchy
x x

Heirarchy(2v2)
x

Uprising
x

Ten Paces (12-player)
x xx

Power Trip
xx x

The Pit
x

Empire
x

Twin Peaks
x

Feel free to use anything you like. "Power Trip" is the one I'd most like to see in an FFA, at the moment, if that is of any interest to you.. I'm currently working on a very "odd" 12-player map. I might scrap the project because it may be just a little to weird for use (we'll see).

Also, this site seems to be far more critical of "looks" instead of function, so I'm kind of desperate for criticisms on the function of my maps. If you do play on these maps, it suffices to list your criticisms in-game (as long as the replays are put up somewhere). Don't just be like "this map sucks." Please say why it sucks.

Last edited:
Level 3
Dunno why I see your answer only now :(

What is the difference between old splatter and new splatter? I can put the new version on bot.

POwer Trip could work, with updates (see my comments on power trip) :)

Splatter is a very interesting map. Middle pos are worse than peripheric once but that is not totally imbalanced. When you spawn in a corner you have access to more creeps and you have less neighbours.

In that game i have pos luck but my final opponent was an orc spawning in the center.

I discovered a new item in that game, orb of slow, didnt now it existed! :D

I liked that you can squeeze 12 players without making the map super big. Wood is often an issue but thats manageable. Really it felt like an official map for ffa. rares are good 12 players maps for ffa.

Emerald Gardens is not that good (another dragon root...) and divide and conquer, the most classic, is overplayed.

keep up the good work!

Level 13
ok changed map version to the last one on bot

cool. Let me know if you think it's worse - I won't have a problem reverting it back to the previous version.

Also, thanks for showing me the FFA Masters thing. I've played two FFA games already, which is something I haven't been able to do on the battle.net ladder for about a year..