1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Spell/Ability Requests

Discussion in 'Triggers & Scripts' started by Berb, Jan 19, 2010.

1. Berb

Berb

Resources:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    You don't know the first thing about vJass, so how can that "say enough for you". I'm not making an ability that eats through computer resources for no reason. Having spinning fireballs doesn't constitute as a good enough reason. The entire idea for this spell doesn't even make sense. If you read the other requests, they're all plausible in fantasy. Your idea is a bunch of randomly occurring events with no direct purpose or cause.

2. ap0calypse

ap0calypse

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    If I can make a lagless spell with 72 dummies in GUI and your spell would lag with 30 dummies in vJass ("the most efficient language in the world editor"), that says a lot...
    Or was that a typo as well?

I think that it does make sense... fireballs that spin around the target and shoot waves at him, it's not random at all.
    I also said that it was for me to learn vJass, if that reason isn't good enough for you, then so be it.

You should stop whining about it though, since I don't care anymore.

3. Berb

Berb

Resources:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    You obviously don't know what you're talking about.

Well then you've been tripping on shrooms a little too often lately.

4. ap0calypse

ap0calypse

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Everyone says it is.
    I honestly admit that I do not know vJass, but I do believe people who say that it is more efficient...
    At the very least, it's more efficient that GUI, you cannot deny that.
    My spell was GUI and had 72 dummies within a timer, it did not lag.

I don't do drugs, it just makes sense...
    Can you also please not troll?

5. Berb

Berb

Resources:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    This is my thread, you're the one trolling. I'm not even going to keep replying because you have no idea what you're even talking about. Now go away and let me continue my business in my thread.

6. Berb

Berb

Resources:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    This is a bump. The first post has been updated with the current statistics on the process of spells/abilities requested in this thread.

7. Darkness-4ever

Darkness-4ever

Resources:
    Resources:
    Well here's one for you, I've tried my hand at a spell similar to Rabies from Diablo II, in short the target unit of the spell is hit with a damage over time ability, then units close enough to the target also become "infected", it spreads until it all eventually dies when the "infected" are killed or a timer runs out to end the infection entirely (hopefully the latter), the reason I am requesting this is because I was unsatisfied with how mine was handled in crowds of 30 - 40 units. The damage, art, and infection timer is up to you, and one more thing, "infected" units can't be "infected" again until their current one subsides. Thanks in advance.

8. Frunck

Frunck

Resources:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    I'm not sure if you take requests like these, but would you rewrite gui spells into vJass?

9. Berb

Berb

Resources:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Does giving the unit a buff work for you? For example when any unit is infected by Rabies they cannot be infected by another "instance" of Rabies.

I know exactly what you are referring too because I played a lot of Diablo II, but what kind of "distribution art" did you have in mind? I'll try to find a YouTube video of it.

Wow. I just saw some videos of Diablo II from the new patch. It makes me want to play it so(ooooooo) badly.

Back to the matter at hand, the distribution of Rabies in Diablo II is actually kind of poor looking. Can you give me a better picture of how exactly you want it to mix from unit to unit.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2010
  10. Darkness-4ever

Darkness-4ever

Resources:
    Resources:
    I agree the method of how it gets distributed to other units is poor, so the only thing that comes to mind that would look logical and nice in game would be if the art was of flames, since its something that can damage over time, spread and wouldn't look as poor in terms of how Diablo II rabies looks where units simply turn green like the Incredible Hulk. A buff would work perfectly in this case, whether or not the spell will engulf allied units as well is up to you.

11. Berb

Berb

Resources:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Well I was still going to keep the theme of poison. If minor model edits are necessary to get a"truly" nice effect, then I have no problem walking the extra mile. If you look at the uploaded map (in first post) you'll notice there is a "mini-meteor.mdx", which is a modified version of "DemonHunterMissile.mdx".

I've got a pretty good idea of how it will look when its done, but thinking it over I'm not really sure where you may have had troubles with.

It really depends on the context I suppose. Care to explain yourself a little further?

12. overload119

overload119

Resources:
    Skins:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I'll go ahead and put something that I've wanted to see.

Create a wavy-like firebolt, that moves in a wave. (Like the Sine graph :D)

13. Berb

Berb

Resources:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Updating first post with recent requests.

14. Frunck

Frunck

Resources:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    3 Abilities, all are currently fully working using indexing/hashtables but vJass would be more efficient :)

15. Berb

Berb

Resources:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    I see. Well you were honest enough to tell me before requesting them, but mind you I'll put them on a low priority and do other requests first. At the moment I'm working through Rabies waiting for a response on the other 2 requests as to whether or not they are satisfied with what I am doing with the ability at the moment (97% finished, specifics).

16. Darkness-4ever

Darkness-4ever

Resources:
    Resources:
    Discontinued?

17. Berb

Berb

Resources:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    No, but between answering questions on the forum, school, producing, and other things sometimes I lose track.

**Especially when I'm taking requests from other sources too lol

18. Berb

Berb

Resources:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Okay, so I've uploaded the "Rabies" spell. Tell me what you think of it so far. The distribution of the disease was pretty difficult to get working properly, and even still it seems that there are units that should be enumerated by
    GroupEnumUnitsInRange
    but are not.

Anyway, just so you know I've been working, its been updated in the first post.

I'm also awaiting word from the guys who requested the first two spells. For now I've marked Quick Attack as completed but I need some more information on Armageddon.
    • Undead_ted
    • Japut3h

19. Darkness-4ever

Darkness-4ever

Resources:
    Resources:
    Nice job on Rabies, though the duration is a bit confusing, does it mean that rabies will spread to units until 8 seconds pass, because if its not and its instead supposed to be the duration it lasts on the enemy then its broken because it never wears off, which makes it pretty overpowered and makes the amount of damage it does a bit irrelevant as it will ultimately kill an enemy unit in less than a minute, but well done on the spell, except for the small spike at the start which is always to be expected, it was nicely done. +rep.

20. Berb

Berb

Resources:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Well what I have done right now is made it so that after 35 seconds Rabies will completely wear off on all infected units. Other than that, the buff completely controls the status of Rabies on each unit. If the "Shadow Strike" spell has a duration of 0, then it will last for ever. If you want Rabies to simply stop spreading after the 35 seconds, I can fix it up so that it does that instead.

The damage dealt by Rabies is controlled by:
    Code (vJASS):
        method getDamage takes nothing returns real
            return 5.0*this.abilLevel
        endmethod

You can play around with the constants to achieve different effects, this is how I thought you'd like it.

If you only want Rabies to last for a certain period of time then change the duration of the buff on the shadow strike abilities. As I said, I currently have it set as 0.00 which means it will never wear off (unless Purged).