• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Special Effect Competition #2 - Nature

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 26
No, you did not miss some1 because I didn´t submitted mine....till now

well...it contains 5 sfx: 1 aura, 1 missile, 2 buffs and 1 skill which can be used for the impale skill ( could be used for the tormad spell 2 ,but it is bugged somehow :/)

Attachments

• naturesfxpackbydondustinscreen.jpg
    naturesfxpackbydondustinscreen.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 235
  • NatureSFXPackbyDonDustin.rar
    12.3 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:
Level 5
I'm surprised no one did any wind / lightning or sand / dirt based SFX. I would
have wet my pants had someone made some sort of edit of Spirit Tower's
missile into sand or some sort of massive lightning onslaught spell.

I'll probably move this to the voting thread if it appears sometime when I check
later on. Maybe it's here now and I just can't find it. Oh well.

CRITIQUES!

@DonDustin: HOLY. IS THAT A TREE IMPALE? GENIUS! Heh. I really like
your use of the flowers and mushrooms in that aura, and I can imagine some
really unique uses for that. The two other SFX (besides the impale / the... yeah.
Rock... Acorn... Thing...) are pleasing to the eye.

@Pyritie: Leafy starfall looks astonishing. You might get my vote just for
that. Though your defend things look somewhat useful, they lack a certain luster.
I'm not sure what's on top of the Archmage :p

@WILL THE ALMIGHTY: I think your effects are a bit small and you could
have made some larger ones, but your effects are so different from the others.
I like your unique take on the theme! I especially like the green (Far Seer?) missile
and the Blessing of Elune.

@JetFangInferno: Your SFX wreak of your style :p
I've already expressed my love for your Nature Explosion, and your other SFX are
also tantalizing to the eye, though some are very similar. I thought the Wave and
the Divine Shield were a bit too similar to the originals, but your Gaia Wings are
truly original, and those Cluster Rocket missiles / Swirling Earth orbs are really cool.
Your Gaia Orbs are slightly impractical.

I'm surprised no one did any wind / lightning or sand / dirt based SFX. I would
have wet my pants had someone made some sort of edit of Spirit Tower's
missile into sand or some sort of massive lightning onslaught spell.
This is nature, not ground or lightning. Those could be for a future SFX contest.

@Pyritie: Leafy starfall looks astonishing. You might get my vote just for that. Though your defend things look somewhat useful, they lack a certain luster. I'm not sure what's on top of the Archmage :p
The thing on the archmage is a rock spinning around his staff. It's supposed to be an item effect like the Orb of Fire and so on.

Big isn't better in wc3. It blocks out the view and feels weird. Wc3 uses a lot of small and medium size SFX.

Also, the rules of the contest state an SFX can't be larger than a yellow grid square in the World Editor. We've been pretty loose with that rule (I have a feeling JetFang's nature explosion is bigger, but not enough to bother), and it was mostly so new comers don't just make a giant explosion.

Level 35
It's actually confined within the yellow grid but I have no way of actually telling whether or not that may be true because the entire animation doesn't appear in world edtior, only in game. I'm assuming a poll will be up soon?

On a side note, it's true that more is not necessarily better. The Gaia Shield was made just to throw it in there and the Gaia Wave was made because I like it. I guess i'll try and limit my sfx next time to maximize quality instead of quantity.

Can't wait for the Demon SFX contest coming up if that ever happens! It's my favorite theme =)

Level 35
It is in reality but in the warcraft universe however, it is usually oversimplified to just anything green. Of course one could argue that a sfx contest is not merely about warcraft's definition of nature but what the real world defies as nature. However, it is up to the public what they like best and up to the creator to create whichever sfx he or she thinks best fits the theme.

Status
Not open for further replies.