• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Spanish Helmets

Spanish helmets of the 16th century.
You can use and edit these models, credit is appreciated. Just don't redistribute them.

Concept found at: [concept] spanish soldiers' details | HIVE
Previews
Contents

Spanish Helmet n.1 Morion (conquistador) (Model)

Spanish helmet n.2 (Model)

Reviews
General Frank
Changes are made. Good attachment models. Work in-game.
Level 2
Now if only I could figure out how to make custom units use alternate sets of animations (including when they are built) I could have a perfect conquistador style army.

Level 13
C'est magnifique. It definitely has gladiator applications.
I liked how you showed its attachment points on the standard villager model. It gives us a good idea of what to expect.

Level 11
But there were so many gladiatorial helmets! Take Hoplomacus gladiator gear for instance, which is ressembles on ancient greece hoplite gear! One might say it ressembles romans because the sidecheeks plates on the variation looks a lot like legionarie helmet too.

Level 9
@streetpunk
I googled Hoplomacus, he still wears boeotian-thracian like helmet with facial, fish-like features. Greeks were used to use the standard versions. Romans have perverted those helmets to be more protective for their slaves, and to look scarier.
But okay, this helmet may look a bit like a coolus and montefortino helmets of Romans.

Level 11
how nice and informative hive can be! hahaha you're taking/have a degree on history or something? I definily like ancient history in special, but we don't always get into that many details! But I for one didn't knew gladiatorial helmets came from thracian design, tought only Thraex style was hahaha

A nice idea, but the execution has some major flaws:

Please fix the 'Death' animation. The model should disappear at the start of said animation but it does not. Another thing I noticed is that the key frames of the geoset animation you used are way different from the key frames of the 'Death' animation.

Why does the model does even have any animation key frames of the head bone?

The normals of the models, and therefore their shading, is all messed up. It is even visible in the in-game screens hot you provided.

I look at the model in Magos and it confirmed what I have seen:

wrongnormals-png.283694

Using two-sided textures does not remove the flaw and I recommend you to flip all the vertices that are faced the wrong direction.

And, while you are still at it you might want to add collision shapes, just for completion.

Another thing that really bugs me is that, it seems that you might have taken the helmets off some other model and forgot to remove things.

Why is there an animated bone?
Why is the half of the vertices facing the wrong direction? All proper modelling programs work on the basis that the turn all faces in the correct direction.
Why are the geoset aniamtion key frames so different than the normal key frames?

Last edited:
Level 14
These claims are false.

Faulty normals have been left there because of double sided texture, and come from the fact that i copypasted every vertex one by one, i manually made triangles (having two-sided textures turned on, i didn't check nor worry about normals being consistent) and mirrored the left half of the helmets to obtain the other one.
I didn't understand well why two-sided textures weren't a solution to this situation. That's just me.

The added keyframes come from the fact that I imported the helmets geosets into a model that had a villager's head to be able to size them correctly, and skipped deleting some keyframes outside of animations. I just left there one of the existing bones afterwards.
EDIT2: I imported the helmets to the head bone to see how they behaved during animations, that's why I left the head bone there as the last one and that's why it had some keyframes left outside of the animations used by the final helmets.
EDIT: i reckon that the geoset animations you refer to have been left there just in the same way. It's an oversight of mine.

Wip pictures are available publicly along with concepts on the media.

I need not ask for anybody's permission because this work is mine.
I have no credits to declare other than having appreciated the reference pictures as guidance.

Last edited:
Level 14
it seems that you might have taken the helmets off some other model and forgot to remove things
Could you please back this publicly stated accusation up with something? Or if you can't, why do you write it? I claim you will fail to find any existing source of those helmets that isn't my model.

EDIT: I completely understand that you may have questions or doubts. What is not understandable is why you think that it is proper to make unfounded accusations instead of just asking why things are the way they appear. I don't know what you were thinking, really.

Last edited:
Could you please back this publicly stated accusation up with something? Or if you can't, why do you write it? I claim you will fail to find any existing source of those helmets that isn't my model.

EDIT: I completely understand that you may have questions or doubts. What is not understandable is why you think that it is proper to make unfounded accusations instead of just asking why things are the way they appear. I don't know what you were thinking, really.

I don't have to back up anything, really as it is not an accusation just what I saw.
I did not mention you took it from another person, just another model. Your models are also other models. I don't even accuse you of anything, you are just being silly and thin-skinned.

It is you making a big fuss about it afterall., multi-posting like in chatroom and being generally a hard person to deal with.
You could have just cleaned up the model and no one would have bet an eye. Yet you failed to do it in the first place.

Also, normals don't have to do ANYTHING with twosided textures. It is a material property and not a geometrical property. They do not correlate in ANY way. Normal determine how and from where the the vertex is lit. Just to let you know.

Last edited:
Level 14
Glad you clarified that you didn't mean to accuse me, and that I misunderstood your prior wording.

I just read the current edited posts and I will assume that they reflect more precisely what you wanted to say than the ones I read before, namely that you were under a hypotetical suspicion that I could in theory have used these helmets taking them from other priorly published models, whose existence you were in any case uncertain of.
That being the case, I have no problems whatsoever clearing your doubts and showing that these simple helmets are in fact entirely made by me.

Sorry for having misunderstood your original phrasing and having used more than one post to reply.
Thanks for clearing things out, once again!

I renew my expression of gratitude for your useful comments on the faults of these helmets and your suggestions on correcting them, they have been very useful to read since they led me to learn something more than i knew (as basic a notion as it may be), and I await remoderation of the corrected models.

You should not be so volatile and explosive and think everything is directed towards you and is revolving around you. Have a nice big cup of modesty and try to mix in some more understanding.

The whole 'misunderstanding' (not really, just selfish explosions) took place because you did not deliver a clean model.
You have to expect there to be thoughts if many things do not line up. Bad execution does not protect you from criticism.

Level 14
Nobody says that I am forced to deliver clean models if I'm not capable of that, first of all.
Moderation has the function of improving quality of submitted models and striving for a standard doesn't mean that everyone should be expected to meet it at their first try.

Secondly, if I see false accusations about my honorability in the future, I'm going to expose the liar that writes them.
This is just correct behavior between people and not a question of egoism.

Nobody says that I am forced to deliver clean models if I'm not capable of that, first of all.
Moderation has the function of improving quality of submitted models and striving for a standard doesn't mean that everyone should be expected to meet it at their first try.

Now, now, now climb down your throne and read the rules.
  • The mesh must be clean, with no excess of unnecessary edges and no wasteful geosets or polies.
  • The UV map must be decent and continuous, with as few seams as possible and without nasty stretching of the texture.
  • Attachment models must list all models for which they were optimized for (There must be at least one).
Reviewers and mods are there for your help, but YOU are mostly responsible for your work. We can give you suggestions, but we are not there for you to drag you around.
If you want to be accepted and respected as a model resource contributor your WILL HAVE TO be able to deliver clean models. If you cannot, you don't get and have any chance to japper about YOUR OWN shortcomings. Sorry to be blunt here, but no one likes people that feel entitled to anything (You are not entitled to anything after all - you are just being lucky) without the base of proper understanding of modelling, even of a very low level.

Level 14
This is all true and I agree with it, except the fact that here I'm not sitting on a throne of any kind. I didn't know something basic about modelmaking, I made a faulty resource, the faults have been highlighted and I have done my best to correct them. I just couldn't do it at the first attempt and you helped me out on that, so I thanked you for your review.

Our misunderstanding is a completely unrelated issue, I incorrectly understood that you suggested that I stole these helmets from some unknown model, and it's clear now.

And the minimum level of respect that implies not being accused without unambiguous evidence is something every user deserves, regardless of the quality of their work or the amount of their knowledge.

Last edited:
Level 9
how nice and informative hive can be! hahaha you're taking/have a degree on history or something? I definily like ancient history in special, but we don't always get into that many details! But I for one didn't knew gladiatorial helmets came from thracian design, tought only Thraex style was hahaha
No, I don't have any History degree. Just interested in early european warfare, from antiquity to 17th century. But I'm glad you enjoy my lecture.
Cuore just did excellent job and I'd give him 4.5/5, but it's impossible so I've given him 5/5.