• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Spacetime Warp Theory, believe it or not?

Believe or not?

• I believe!

Votes: 17 63.0%
  • Random crap!

Votes: 10 37.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 14
Discussions about possible and impossible with non-philosophers so often break down due to a lack of distinction between 'possible as far as we know', 'possible if we knew how and had infinite means', and 'possible within the realms of our attainable knowledge and our attainable means'.

Level 21
and Hakeem is right, HINDYhat, you see, until is a time span, that means, it is possible UNTIL it is proven that it is impossible, and now learn to read.

You know, thats the same in the judgement system, you are guiltless, until you are proven to be guilty.

So please, prove me that it is impossible, if you can't, it is possible, because everything that can't be proven to be impossible is possible, I am sorry for you if you can't get that.

Level 14
...what sort of possible are we arguing over...?

Possible as far as *we* know - Obviously
Possible as far as humanity know - We don't have the info
Possible if we knew how and had infinite means - We don't have the info
Possible within the realms of our attainable knowledge and our attainable means - We don't have the info.

Therefore I see nothing to discuss?

Level 20
Captain Griffen said:
...what sort of possible are we arguing over...?

Possible as far as *we* know - Obviously
Possible as far as humanity know - We don't have the info
Possible if we knew how and had infinite means - We don't have the info
Possible within the realms of our attainable knowledge and our attainable means - We don't have the info.

Therefore I see nothing to discuss?
Exactly my point.

Hakeem said:
I see implication of time.
He basically just explained my point in his post: innocent until proven guilty.

redscores said:
You know, thats the same in the judgement system, you are guiltless, until you are proven to be guilty.
Using your logic, everyone eventually becomes guilty. There are some people who are innocent, just as there are some things which are inherently impossible, not because we don't know enough about them yet, but because they just are impossible.

redscores said:
So please, prove me that it is impossible, if you can't, it is possible, because everything that can't be proven to be impossible is possible
Really? Let's think mathematics here.
For some elementary functions it's simply impossible to find their antiderivative. For example: f(x) = ex2, among many others. It's also impossible to know if it's impossible. Yet it has been established that the antiderivative is simply impossible to find.
Here's a more laid-back example. Say you take an apple and you put it in a sealed box, with no openings. I can make the claim that the apple has turned into a dog. It must be possible, because no one can prove that it's impossible, right? Now, we both know that it's impossible, but there is no way that you can prove it to me (without interacting with the box of course).

My point is that the Alcubierre drive may be inherently impossible, or it may be possible and we don't know enough, etc. But it is definitely not possible until proven impossible. We just don't know.

Last edited:
Level 21
Math is a invention of the humanity, humanity makes mistakes, the nature never makes mistakes, traveling at light speed is a thing which was "created" by the nature, the rules are not given by humans, math is completely made by humans, so it has its limits, I understand that you think in your lil squares where you cannot jump out, but please, don't compare a phenomen of nature with a human mistake.

And to your apple in the box: worse example, you can prove it by opening the box, but you cannot open the box to look at the traveling at light speed, thats like comparing:

A 10000 tons man can jump 10 metres high

then a 10 tons man can jump 10000

Its simply a bad example, now leave, mr. wannabe professor.... oh god.

Level 14
Math is a invention of the humanity, humanity makes mistakes, the nature never makes mistakes, traveling at light speed is a thing which was "created" by the nature, the rules are not given by humans, math is completely made by humans, so it has its limits, I understand that you think in your lil squares where you cannot jump out, but please, don't compare a phenomen of nature with a human mistake.

Erm, actually (correctly done) maths is, assuming that the assumptions are true, irrefutable, since it is based upon logic.

And to your apple in the box: worse example, you can prove it by opening the box, but you cannot open the box to look at the traveling at light speed, thats like comparing:

You missed the point. The point was that, before you open the box, it's possible.

How does that follow? It so obviously doesn't. That'd only follow if (ignoring air resistance) both of them had the same initial kinetic energy. 1000 times the kinetic energy per ton? Yea, makes sense...

Level 20
redscores said:
I think you just beat Elenai for the "Most Commas in a Sentence" award.
Anyway, Griffen neatly replied to this statement.
As for human mistake relating to the Alcubierre drive, I really don't see how this is relevant at all. You're saying that Einstein's special theory of relativity was wrong, and that it is possible to move at the speed of light without using a warp drive, because math is limited and Einstein is mistaken? Right... that's why nature has proven to us that special relativity has tangible real effects on the real world. Do you even know anything about special relativity?

redscores said:
I understand that you think in your lil squares where you cannot jump out
Its simply a bad example, now leave, mr. all-knowing genius.... oh god.

redscores said:
And to your apple in the box: worse example, you can prove it by opening the box, but you cannot open the box to look at the traveling at light speed
ME said:
(without interacting with the box of course)
Can't you read? It's a hypothetical situation.
Alright, I'll change it to make you happy. What if the box is sealed by an impenetrable barrier that defies logic because it was built by God and not humans.
Also, what the fuck are you talking about travelling light speed?

redscores said:
... completely irrelevant and retarded? Oh wait, Its simply a bad example, now leave, mr. wannabe professor.... oh god.

redscores said:
Its simply a bad example, now leave, mr. wannabe professor.... oh god.
It's actually a very good example and illustrates my point clearly.
You, however, haven't given one good example. You've tried, yes, but your posts have been littered with illogical statements (hey, you're only human, right?), terrible grammar and the occasional insult. And also, me using logical deduction and reasoning makes me a wannabe professor? Wow, now I know why your posts are so ridiculously nonsensical. I'd suggest you come up with something intelligent to say, or leave.

Level 21
Just by the way, it is hard for me to express some things in english, because it is not my native language, I just tried to say that everything is possible until it is proven to be impossible, means, we cannot say that something is impossible unless we can prove it. Thats my message.

I hope that was clear english.

Level 20
redscores said:
I just tried to say that everything is possible until it is proven to be impossible, means, we cannot say that something is impossible unless we can prove it. Thats my message.
A better [way to phrase it might] be: we can't say anything unless we prove something to be possible or impossible.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.