• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

South Isle of Gold'ul

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.

South Isle of Gold'ul
by AGKRegal102

Description:
After the ship has sunk, the survivors are arriving on the nearby island of Gold'ul. What are you going to survive?

Features:
- 4 Gold Mines - 2 Main (10000g), 4 Expansions (12000g)
- 2 Goblin Merchants
- 1 Fountain of Health
- 4 Taverns
- 4 Green Creep Camps
- 6 Orange Creep Camps
- 2 Red Creep Camps

Map Overview:
Before:
full

After:
full

Changelog:
v1.0
- Map uploaded
v1.1
- New terrain and environments have improved.
- Trees should be half. Add some canopy trees.
- Gold Mines amount changes: Main (10000 from 15000), Expansion (12000 from 12500).
- Add a gold mine to the next bottom of the middle.
- Add small props to the next shore.
- Added ship destroyed, floating panels & planks to the next shallow shore.
- Added new Goblin Merchant & Gold Mine expansion creep camps.
- Add spider crabs camp to the next from jungle stalkers camp.
- Item drops have now improved as new.
- All neutral buildings except Fountain of Mana.
- Improved map description.

Videos:

Author Notes:
If you have questions, suggestions or criticisms, just leave your comments below!
Contents

South Isle of Gold'ul (Map)

Reviews
mafe
Wow, I knew I was behind in reviewing maps, but I didnt realize it went as far as April. And once more I could have sworn I had reviewed it before, but apparently I didnt. Sorry about that. Unfortunately as @Knecht hinted, there are a lot of...
Level 22
This is a bit messy. Seems like you tried to mix axial symmetry with central symmetry but the result doesn't work at all.

1. you should either use axial or point symmetry - if you use axial, the bases should be in the corresponding positions to each other. Here you have the one of the bases higher than the other so they don't have equal opportunities.
2. The fountains are different, they should both be the same type.
3. You have gaps in the trees, it can be misused by wisp. Use P to toggle pathing, with Ctrl+D you can hide doodads to see the empty spots better.

Well, basically what others have written on your previous maps can be applied here. We all have started somewhere.

mafe

Map Reviewer
Level 24
Wow, I knew I was behind in reviewing maps, but I didnt realize it went as far as April. And once more I could have sworn I had reviewed it before, but apparently I didnt. Sorry about that.

Unfortunately as @Knecht hinted, there are a lot of potential issues with the map. Addtionally, I see the following problems:
1. Starting positions too far from the gold mines, orcs/humans need more than 5 workers to mine continually.
2. Standard building placement (i.e complete or partial wall-offs) will not work.
3. There should be one expansion per player.
4. Itemdrops of jungle stalkers are much too weak.
5. Large parts of the map is just a single tiles with no variation. It's not that every part of the map needs to be polished with dozens of doodads. For example, the central lake looks very nice and peaceful with just a few doodads. But just flat single-tile shallow water should never cover 2/3 of the screen ingame, no matter where you are on the map.
6. Lots of gaps between trees.
7. Overall very few creeps.

I could mention more stuff, but to summarize, this is a relatively bland map. Sorry. The "ring-shaped island" idea has potential, yes. But this map, as it is, would essentially be remade from scratch before it could become something that satisfies the basic concept and quality criteria of melee maps. There set to Useful/simple, even though I feel mean about doing so after such a long wait.

Level 14
Sorry for taking long, @mafe. Here's a new update. I hope to get a better review.

• New terrain and environments have improved.
  • Trees should be half. Add some canopy trees.
  • Gold Mines amount changes: Main (10000 from 15000), Expansion (12000 from 12500).
  • Add a gold mine to the next bottom of the middle.
  • Add small props to the next shore.
  • Added ship destroyed, floating panels & planks to the next shallow shore.
  • Added new Goblin Merchant & Gold Mine expansion creep camps.
  • Add spider crabs camp to the next from jungle stalkers camp.
  • Item drops have now improved as new.
  • All neutral buildings except Fountain of Mana.
  • Improved map description.