Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo

Which do you like?

• Total voters
I personally think Sony is the best company at creating videogame softwear (and hardwear). I have a PS3, PS2, GBA, GBA SP, DS, Gamecube and 2 N64s (sadly neither work T_T)

I play the DS the most (computer isn't on the list, sorry fellas), but only because it is highly portable (I pretty much only use it for pokemon games >D). I have the most games for my PS3.

Nintendo releases new systems far too quickly, Within 3-4 years they came out with: GBA, GBA SP, DS, GBA micro (or something like that, the REALLY frikken tiny GB), DS Lite. Nintendo also has extremely HORRIBLE backwards-compatability, You cannot play original GB games on the DS (which sucks), You cannot play NES, SNES, N64 games on the GC or Wii (although [I think] you can play GC games on the Wii). Also, the Wii was modified from the GameCube (which they are not supposed to do), hence its being cheaper.

Microsoft (Xbox, 360) is pretty new the the system bussiness, and their stuff isn't that great (except for: Fable and Halo). When the 360 first game out, it melted it's games. WTF? A SYSTEM THAT MELTS A GAME?! And last I knew of, the 360 does not have complete backwards compatability with the X-Box (you have to re-buy the older xbox games)

Sony has released 4 (6 if you count the PS1 and the skinny PS2) systems: PS (Play Station), PS1 (the same as the Playstation, but portable, you can get a baterry back and a screen for it), PS2, Skinny PS2 (same functionality as a PS2, except its skinny), PSP (according to my bro, its a really good handheld) and the PS3. The PS3 MAY cost alot, but you get alot: Free online play (I know the Wii has this too, and Xbox live is only 50$ a year, but that adds up) System updates: they release a system update every month or so, which make your PS3 work better. Free Downloadable Game Demos: In the online PS store, you can download demos for just about any game outthere, which helps prevent the problem of "I bought the game, and it sucks". All the controllers are wireless, and connect using a USB port (you can also plug a keyboard into a PS3 if you wanted) (The 360 and Wii might have this as well). My only problem with the PS3 is the standard SIXAXIS controller does not have the rumble feature, but they are currently releasing a controller with the rmble feature.

Please note: as I do not have a Wii or a 360, I am going by what I have been told about each system (I have friends with the systems though)

Level 9
XBOX 360 is my personal favorite. Just for the intense n00b-pwning action of Halo 3 on X-Box live.

(off-topic)
Deep Sea Kraken, this is the third thread you have created in a short time period; can't you wait?

Level 25
Oh, prepare to get rolled over kiddo

Nintendo also has extremely HORRIBLE backwards-compatability, You cannot play original GB games on the DS (which sucks), You cannot play NES, SNES, N64 games on the GC or Wii (although [I think] you can play GC games on the Wii). Also, the Wii was modified from the GameCube (which they are not supposed to do), hence its being cheaper.

The NES, SNES and N64 were CARTRIDGE games. If Sony can't even support backwards compatibility on the PS3, then what chance does adding all sorts of random cartridge slots onto a Wii have?

Plus you can just buy the games off Wii's Virtual Console system for pretty cheap

Also, the original Game Boy games died out in the GBA days. Nintendo doesn't have to cater to people using ancient games, they can just use their ancient consoles then

And no, they're allowed to modify pre-existing things. This lets them have backwards compatibility easy, and why fix what ain't broken? There's a reason the Wii is the one console that's in heavy demand, and that's cause its fun. It does its job well, and doesn't need massive graphical powers to do it

And last I knew of, the 360 does not have complete backwards compatability with the X-Box (you have to re-buy the older xbox games)

Wrong again. The 360 has a fair bit of backwards compatibility, only missing out on a few games

The PS3 MAY cost alot, but you get alot: Free online play (I know the Wii has this too, and Xbox live is only 50$ a year, but that adds up) System updates: they release a system update every month or so, which make your PS3 work better. Free Downloadable Game Demos: In the online PS store, you can download demos for just about any game outthere, which helps prevent the problem of "I bought the game, and it sucks". All the controllers are wireless, and connect using a USB port (you can also plug a keyboard into a PS3 if you wanted) (The 360 and Wii might have this as well). My only problem with the PS3 is the standard SIXAXIS controller does not have the rumble feature, but they are currently releasing a controller with the rmble feature.

You also get NO backwards compatibility, crummy market share, and the knowledge that the other two consoles are so much more cheaper and yet have much more funner games!

Seriously, the irony of you decrying the backwards compatibility of the other two systems before getting to the PS3 was just hilarious

Please note: as I do not have a Wii or a 360, I am going by what I have been told about each system (I have friends with the systems though)

So basically you just asked for me to correct your silly assumptions?

I mean, seriously, asking for backwards compatibility with the SNES and NES? Do you know how old those consoles are?

Are you blind? I HAVE a PS3, it has COMPLETE backwards compatability. I am currently playing FF8 (a PS1 game) on my PS3, which I wouldn't be able to do with no backwards compatability.

You can also buy older PS games for the PS3 through the PS store.

The DS CAN play old GB games, but you can't get the cartridges in the system. If it can play GBA games, it can play GB games, they just were dumb and made it so you can't fit the cartridges inside the slot.

Level 25
Are you blind? I HAVE a PS3, it has COMPLETE backwards compatability. I am currently playing FF8 (a PS1 game) on my PS3, which I wouldn't be able to do with no backwards compatability.

You can also buy older PS games for the PS3 through the PS store.

Actually, only the first edition PS3s have backwards compatibility. Sony have REMOVED the hardware that emulates PS games from future editions of the PS3 for cost cutting and all

And you can buy older Nintendo and Sega games through the Wii store

The DS CAN play old GB games, but you can't get the cartridges in the system. If it can play GBA games, it can play GB games, they just were dumb and made it so you can't fit the cartridges inside the slot.

Why not complain about the X-Box not being able to play Floppy Disks next? Seriously, GB games are ancient, or didn't you notice the GBA existing rather than the GB?

Also, go modify a DS to accept GB games. Then I'll believe your claim

Level 21
Actually, only the first edition PS3s have backwards compatibility. Sony have REMOVED the hardware that emulates PS games from future editions of the PS3 for cost cutting and all

i have been told officially by a sony correspondant at my shop where i work that the 40gb model will be getting a software emulator for the ps2 very soon. this is official and while i dont have any date for it, i would think it will be in the next month or two.

Level 36
Around Christmas sometime, it was removed, the 80 Gb models of the PS3 do not have backwards compatibility.

I happen to be in the Wii-360 fanboat. The PS3 is alright, I mean, none of the games for it are that great (none of the exclusive titles anyway), and really I think the only reason you would want to buy one is because it serves as a blu-ray player. But now that blu-ray players are around the same price, it doesn't matter, and since blu-ray movies are horrifyingly expensive, it's not quite worth it yet.

As for the 360, it's my system of choice because it has all of the games I love, a great controller, solid hardware, etc. Xbox Live may be may-monthly but it's far better than the free PS3 online play.

The Wii is great too. It's got a great price, innovative hardware, and a great lineup of titles. Hell, virtual console alone is a reason to buy one.

Level 21
to be honuest the ps3 controller shits all over the xbox 360 controller. i mean the ps3 controller is simple, comfortable, not overly confusing but not missing anything and has sixaxis; the xbox 360 controller is painful to hold, overly complex and looks nasty. thats me anyways. however i wouldnt buy either of them yet as they both have sucky games. when FF13, GTA4 and MGS4 come out i might buy a ps3.

Level 11
Playstation 3 is way better. They have the updates so if anything is wrong, or want to add something you can just download an update. It does have backwards compatiability dunno what you guys are talking about. I bought my ps3 December 27th, 2007 80gb, can check my posts somewhere in console section. Even dr00d knows we had long convos on this.
Are you blind? I HAVE a PS3, it has COMPLETE backwards compatability.
I am currently playing FF8 (a PS1 game) on my PS3, which I wouldn't be able to do with no backwards compatability.
I also have it being my favoite final fantasy, just popped it in my ps3 to see if it works and guess what... ~old playstation sound as game starts on plays~ ... it works!
Some versions of ps3 doesn't work with the older games, but same thing with xbox, they had versions that didn't work.

The only reason xbox has even somewhat better games is because microsoft can buy the companies out and make sure they don't sell their games to sony or nintendo.

But just wait xbox will lose, nintendo is just on another level it's hardly comparable anymore. Unless it's one of their normal controller games, the wii sports and guitar hero is just for losers who don't go out in the real world and actually play it. "0MG I G0TZ TH3 HIGHSC0R3Z"

Xbox has HD DVD tech. while Ps3 has Blue-Ray tech.
Blue ray has alot more space, and alot more random dvd features than HD, it's like the race with VHS and Beta-max, where sony owned Beta max, but lost. But this race they won't lose, they got most the major movie companies on their side like Disney. I hate Disney, atleast their animated movies, but they have to be good when they are making alot of the biggest selling movies ever. Plus they bring back the old cartoons and pop em onto blue ray and little kids make their parents buy them.

The Sixaxis controller is amazing, well for people saying "it isn't as good as the wii's controller" well ps3 doesn't make a game exactly the same as in real life, but 300% easier. No it uses the sixaxis for games like Lair(which rox) and the jet game.... name not coming to me atm. It allows more control without adding two d pads, and a controller twice the size... won't mention any names(xbox >.> ... <.<)

Only reason PS3 wasn't as big as Xbox 360 is because microsoft... like always... choped up their product and sold it just to beat the competition. I mean the full product is the elite, and if PS3's date wasn't so close i bet the elite would have been the only system Microsoft would have sold.
Sound similar... does Vista ring a bell?

So nintendo will eventually be the sstem for kids under 10, untill kids are more mature which has been an evolving process that kids are way more mature then hundreds of years ago so eventually nintendo will lose them. Then all they will have left is the actuall nerds who are so fat, or so skinny they can only play video game sports and not real ones, and even then they can't play for longer than 20 minutes.

Xbox will more than likely die out, i mean microsoft is totally cornered, so many compnaies advancing on them in too many turfs. They should concentrate more on computers than making other products, just getting greedy.

Sony looks the most stable with it's electronics. I mean they have been selling the same stuff for like a few decades now, and it's why they are so prosperous. Infact I say they should work on their own computer products and take it slow and would probably prosper with that. The only way the playstation line will end any time soon is some sorta sabotage(gates) or some other no name company lurking in the shadows makes a huge breakthrough, which is unlikely.

/me casts Wall of Text
Wall of Text Deals 9999 to all ps3 haters

:nw:

Level 36
Dude, Blu-ray already won, MS will be creating an addon blu-ray feature soon enough, i'm sure. But how many people will actually use it to play DVD's? Come on now, no one ever used the original Xbox as a DVD player when it came out, this is juust another stupid novelty. I buy the console for GAMES not for movies.

And furthermore, Sony is far from stable. Wired did an article on it last year, and since Sony's entire electronics deivision is doing so badly, what with the shitty sales of their turdbox TV's and laptops, shitty home theatre and DVd equipment, if the PS3 and Bulray failed, Sony's market share would drop so low that they would be forced into bankruptcy.

So no, Sony survived on a prayer and only got damned lucky, because it would have been the end of them had their product not managed to win, by sheer luck alone, really.

Level 11
They make laptops 0.0 lol

TV's aren't bad, i never had a problem with them. Though never got sony plasma's, and had sony dvd player and simple radio. they didn't explode.
The thing is the PS3 DIDN'T fail because it rox the other systems. Main point of arguement much? So thanks for agreeing the ps3 rocks.

Blue-ray pretty much did win, but alot of companies still are with HD-dvd like lionsgate, which made saw movies.

Level 21
Dude, Blu-ray already won, MS will be creating an addon blu-ray feature soon enough, i'm sure.

yeh my microsoft correspondant at work told me they have actually been working on one for months and should be released at some point this year.

also i dont know if people are aware but ps3 sales are currently, and have been for since the release, pretty much equal to the xbox 360 sales in its year of release. i saw a non biased chart of the net a few months back and i doubt it has changed, judging from my instore experience.

while i have never owned a sony tv, i do have a friend who has a bitching 42 inch sony bravia and its looks better than my 40 inch samsung thing picture wise, however it cost nearly twice as much :p

i do have a sony amp which is actually the best amp i have ever owned, and seeing as ive owned about 15 amps thats not bad. it is quite old tho (classic if you like) and so i doubt the range is still in production and i cant comment on new models. what i can say is that if my amp is anything to go on then sony has unparralleled sound quality and manipulation when i comes to semi-professional audio equipment, when considering price and consumer satisfaction.

Level 36
I also own a Bravia, 46 inch, LCD. Not the best TV i've ever owned, and don't get me started on their laptops.

The point being, the make subpar electronics (as do most companies), but they were really in hot shit last year when the PS3 was floundering around like some dog in the middle of the ocean that couldn't swim.

Level 11
Dogs can doggy paddle naturally...hence the name... shoulda used a cat for the metaphor
Ps3 floundered for a very small amount of time. Biggest problem at first was they didn't make enough, then they had the bugs, like xbox but on a lesser extent, and then the price, which they droped and pretty much the same price as xbox elite, which if i enjoyed xbox i woulda have went full elite than stopping half way on the buggy xbox 360. Most my friends enjoy xbox over ps3( because they rly haven't played ps3) but almost every single one of them has problems with it. They have to tape up controllers, take it to store to get fixed, half to use an fan you buy from store to keep it from overheating, shall I go on?
So back to the ps3, compared to xbox they worked the kinks out super quickly and got it to most peoples preference.

Level 36
Ah, I've heard of such problems as well, but as soon as the Elikte came out, and they started shipping 360's with the new heatsink and cpu I haven't heard ANYTHING about overheating since.

So, no more problems, great library of games, non-massive controller, intense hardware, sounds pretty good to me.

Level 36
People say PS3 sucks just like they all say Vista sucks. It doesn't suck at all, and it is backwards compatible, just like Vista doesn't have all that many bugs. Or even any at all, as far as I'm concerned.

But before this turns into a "omg vista sucks" thread, I use a 360 personally because it's been around for a long time and is stable, but still can play awesome games.

Level 11
It hasn't been around that long, you make it sound like it's been out for like 10 years haha.

Brad.dude, well yeah the elite has been fine, but hardly anyone even buys it. They all buy the 360 that still has problems today. I know alot of people with 360's (most of my friends have 360,ps2, and wii, some ps3) and I don't know anyone with an elite. I've moved too three towns since the elite has come out and everyone i've been too and met alot of people, and not a single one has an Xbox elite, I think that's really saying something. Haha just my opinion. Everyone with an xbox complains about something on it.

Ps3 the only complaints I heard from freidns was "it's too expensive" and I'll personally add two things to that list. Can't play music behind a game like on xbox, which makes some games really dull because their soundtracks suck(cough~motorstorm~cough) and also most of the good games are for xbox and not ps3 because microsoft throws their money around.

Level 24
Rakdos,Defiler: [HIGHLIGHT]FUCK. NO.[/code]The Wii isn't just for kids and nerds. Old people buy them, parents buy them for their kids and end up playing it just as much. The Wii is never going to stop selling as long as there are people with $250 and no Wiis. This is fact: XBox 360 and PS3 especially are geared more towards hardcore gamers (nerds; really fat people and really skinny people) than the Wii. (At least) one of my Tae Kwon Do instructors has a Wii, and he's in his 50s (at least). My chemistry teacher has one, and she was saying she was excited when she heard there was a Wii version of Guitar Hero 3, and that she wanted to buy it, but the guitars are expensive; I'm not sure how old she is, but I wouldn't say more than 35. And then the Wii also has hardcore gamers wrapped around its Nunchuck extension. Zelda and then Metroid Prime did that, even if they're old enough that they lost them. The Nintendo Wii has a target age group of everyone, and it sells to that target age group. Not to mention it's cheap compared to the others. That you manage to think anything otherwise reflects poorly on either your sources of information or your thought processes, hopefully the former.

Also, lol what are you talking about Microsoft dying? Microsoft is holding nicely on to its market share, even if its market share isn't shrinking a bit. And what the hell are you talking about, Sony didn't make enough PS3s? It got to the point where stores would have to pretend they only have one or two left to get people to buy them. My source for that is an old issue of EGM.

As far as I know, there aren't that many XBox games that won't run on an XBox 360. I'd give it less than 20. One of them being the first Halo, which is just funny as all hell. People would buy XBoxs just for the first Halo, and it doesn't run on 360s. Lol.

In my experience, Sony's software just fucking sucks. For example, my Vaio was aging very nicely, and then suddenly stopped running games; what I mean by that is whenever I would try to play anything that wasn't flash-based, my monitor would go black. The game would actually sort of stall for a half second every time, but the screen would be black for a full second or two. And that's just starting the game up, not even getting to actually playing. No period of decline where my computer had lowered performance, it just went straight to rock bottom out of nowhere.
The PS2 only held on to the market because of its enormous library of exclusive games (Rakdos,Defiler: Don't even talk shit about Microsoft forcing exclusive games... exclusive games are all that kept the PS2 alive, not to mention Microsoft doesn't). The Gamecube had better technology than the PS2, and the XBox had better graphics and a hard drive. As a matter of fact, if the Gamecube used full-sized discs instead of the :D kawaii <333 mini-discs, it would have probably controlled the entire market, because of how long and in-depth games could be with so much space on a disc. Don't debate that, there were plenty of multi-platform games that fit perfectly onto the mini-discs. Can you imagine the sort of havoc Nintendo could have wreaked on Sony and Microsoft if they used that technology in full-sized discs?

Anyways, it's not that Microsoft is throwing its money around to get exclusives; PS3 games are more expensive to make than XBox 360 games, when they have comparable graphics. My source for that is an old issue of EGM, possibly the same one that mentioned how poorly PS3s were selling. Developers go with Microsoft because it's cheaper, not because Microsoft is waving money at them. Also, the XBox 360 was around longer, and had an established market share, not to mention has sold more than the PS3; why risk something as a PS3 exclusive when you know that the XBox 360 will move more games than the PS3 anyways? It's also more profitable for developers to make games for both consoles, which is bad for the PS3, because XBox 360s are cheaper.

People dissing the XBox 360 controller, the Sixaxis is fucking angular, or that weird-ass boomerang. How is that more comfortable than the curved 360 controller? And what the hell are you talking about extra d-pads and buttons? The XBox 360 controller has the same number of buttons as the Sixaxis.

Sony does make fucking great radios, though. No debating that.

My actual opinions of the consoles are: the PS3 is great, it's definitely better than the XBox 360 by some margin, but that margin isn't really worth the extra money. The XBox 360 is decent (it's at least not bad), and definitely has online service that is worth the less than USD 5 a month. Most importantly, the XBox 360 did it first and did it well, and the PS3 does more or less the same, for USD 100 more. The Wii just kicks the living shit out of both of them, because it not only mainly appeals to people who aren't gamers, but manages a fair share of people who are. Then there's Nintendo's enormously well-established (not to even mention enormous) fan-base; the Gamecube let a lot of them down, and then the Wii exceeded all expectations. And then it's just worth the USD 250 just so that you can say you hurt your entire arm by playing with your Wii for seven hours straight. I am also a rabid, squealing Nintendo fan, but that still doesn't make my opinion about how badly Nintendo is winning (and will keep winning) any less valid.

Level 11
lol thanks for the insults, really appreciate the maturity level.
ok well Gamecube didn't have better technology... all it's games ran on lowers graphics and gameplay, it's just they run the same stories they've used for every game from super nintendo and N64 and people don't like change. So yay for cartoon games! The xbox was better than ps2, I wonder why... hmmmm... maybe because the ps2 came out 1-2 years before the Xbox did... OH MY. So that is to be expected... But ps2 was still better when it came to games, other sites even agree
http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2006/11/22/playstation-3-vs-xbox-360-vs-nintendo-wii/ said:
The Last Generation.
So which console is going to assume the lead, or will there be a tie? A half decade ago, many analysts projected a close race between the Sony’s PlayStation 2, Microsoft’s original Xbox, and Nintendo’s GameCube, but their prediction turned out to be wrong: Sony simply blew away the competition with its PS2.
pretty little pie chart how ps2 kicked their asses on the site also, with ps2 controlled 71% of the market.

Btw Xbox 360 sales and PS3 sales are close, but PS3 is still ahead. Kinda sad i didn't know this but Ps2 is sooo bad that it's sales in 2008 are higher than everything but nintendo ds and wii.
http://gamer.blorge.com/2008/03/15/ps3-beats-xbox-360-in-february-sales-wii-and-ds-still-on-top/ said:
Hardware - February 2008

Nintendo DS - 587,600
Nintendo Wii - 432,000
PlayStation 2 - 351,800
PlayStation 3 - 280,800
Xbox 360 - 254,600
PS Portable - 243,000
obviously this isn't overall but it can be used for an average, sales on these haven't changed much in the race for past year I'm guessing.
I read Playstation magazines whenever I go to borders for a drink and yes, Sony didn't make enough Ps3's at first, they were bought so quickly they ran out for the first week or so, which is a long time to be sold out of an object. They didn't make enough because sony wasn't even confident how the sales were going to be but they were suprised, but still not as high as they wanted them too be.

I still think WII is for nerds and kids, i mean that's the only people I know who plays them. Friend who is 15 taking college classes, ap classes in high school, he hates when he gets under a 100% class, i was with him in health when he got 107%, i had a 80 something >.< He plays Wii and all of his friends, and guess what games they play?! Mario! It's so childish I played Mario when I was 3 on nintendo, and then maybe up to around 8, then n64 mario parties were ok till around 11, then my balls droped and I relised games like that sucks! There is alot of immature people out there who like them games, and people who wish they were still a kid, and the wii/ other nintendo products are a portal back into childhood and i suggest some counseling, if I was Oprah i'd pay for it, for them.

Also with your computer sounds like a problem I had with graphics card not being good enough. But I'm not sure about sony products on computers, never even heard of them making products for computer but i'm sure they do. Even though the ps3 is basically a small computer, even though it crushes my own(till I buy a new one soon ^.^)

Level 24
Lol, the PS2 is still selling because of its huge library of exclusive games, which I acknowledged (directly) in my last post. It's still selling because it's about the same price as the NDS. And it did have a lot of good exclusives; just because the PS2 was technologically inferior doesn't mean I'll deny that it sells. But it sells because of it's huge library of exclusive games, not to mention that it's now really fucking cheap. And graphics has nothing to do with how nice the hardware is.

And my graphics card isn't the only problem, it's just the biggest one. This computer has loads of problems that just appeared out of nowhere. One of those problems would be with the wireless card, and I refuse to believe that so many large things can go wrong with this computer and not one of them be this computer's fault.

Anyways, about Wiis, just because the only people you know who own them are nerds doesn't mean that nerds are the only people who buy them. My chemistry teacher has one. My ancient Tae Kwon Do instructor has one. It sells to everyone, and I can spew a quarter of a statistics book at you to justify what I said in the first sentence of this paragraph.

And don't insult Super Mario Galaxy; that game has the fucking beastliest level design you've ever fucking seen. That game got lots of awards within the gaming community. And so you know, kids aren't the only people that played the original Mario. In fact, originally it was mostly adults who could afford an NES and the game. And don't insult the Mario Party series either; they bring something to the table that lots of games don't: family fun. IMO, it takes a lot more maturity to play a good game that's a little kiddy then to write it off and just say "this is retarded because it's also for kids." You don't need to keep on ranking it high because of zomg family fun!!1, but you definitely shouldn't rank it low just because it is kiddy. Also: dropping your balls and realizing something sucks? Please, spare me the stereotypical attitude, and drop your balls a little further.

P.S: So you know, I didn't say that you're an idiot; I said that either your sources of information sucked or your thought processes did, and I even said that hopefully it was your sources (which, by the way, do seem to suck) and not your thought processes. At the moment though, you do seem to be coming off as a bit of an opinionated ass.

Level 36
1) Dude, ALL OF THE 360 MODELS GOT THE NEW CORE AND HEATSINK. NOT JUST THE ELITE.

That means that every single problem the 360 had (There was only one, overheating) is now gone.

2) The PS3 has great hardware, it does not suck, but there aren't any good games for it, so why should I sink money into it? I vastly prefer all of the games that are out for and/or exclusive to the 360 than those exclusive to the PS3, so it just makes sense.

Level 11
again insults, and you basically gave me one of two choices. lmao. either sources suck or though process... makes no sense when other factors can come into play.

Lost Planet, Final Fantasy series, Lair, ace combat, drakes fortune(i hate it but pretty good scores) there is ood games just not that many. That and people don't see them on advertisements so they assume they're isn't many.

Teh_emphy i'm thinking you barely read my last post or else your last post would have been about 75% pointless.

Level 24
Not insults "again," just insults. The first post had no insults. And your sources quite clearly do suck, because the Wii is never going to stop selling, which is what most of my last post was about.

Anyways, Lost Planet isn't PS exclusive, you can get a PS2 for the Final Fantasy series, nobody plays games like ace combat, and I haven't heard of the other two. Still not seeing any reason to buy a PS3.

You're flouting the PS2 around as some holy grail of videogaming, and I'm telling you why it isn't. It had great games, there was nothing exceptional at all about the console itself. And then you go and put down the Wii and then say that it's going to stop selling, and I told you why you're wrong.

Since you think I didn't read your last post: The Gamecube has better technology than the PS2, even if the GC didn't do shit with it. That better technology was the discs; the GC's kicked the shit out of the XBox's and the PS2's. Approximately half the size, but just as much data. Game-play wise there was nothing wrong with the GC when compared to the PS2, and while graphics are nice, I'd take a good game over a pretty one.

I never said that the PS2 didn't have crappy games. As a matter of fact, I said that the games were the reason the PS2 was and is selling, because the PS2 itself sucks compared to the XBox and GC. In case you're having trouble reading between the lines, that was me saying that the PS2 had good games.

About that handy little chart, I'm not talking about sales rates, I'm talking about sales. The 360 has more because it had a huge head start.

Nothing else in that post matters, and the above hardly mattered anyways.

brad.dude03: It would seem that 2008 could be a good year for the PS3, because all its pretty exclusives are finally coming out.

Level 11
yeah but ps3 has been selling more than xbox for most 8 months i'm guessing which has added up and has sold more than xbox.

I didn't say you didn't read my post, I said barely. I explained why your associates would like wii still but you completely ignored that point.

Yeah but lost planet has alot better graphics on ps3. Ace combat is a highly played game online, which i have played online( and got my ass kicked) and actually i'm not bragging ps2 up that much, I was stating facts. I even said xbox was better, just didn't have the games.

Ps2 won't work for final fantasy series soon, already two games mapped out for ps3 only from the FF series.

the discs ,on gamecube, were smaller but had same gameplay time but cause it lacked on graphics and gameplay. It was mainly basic types of gameplay.

I know wii is going to last for a long time, and other nintendo systems to come, but I don't see people enjoy the same "save peach" crap forever. Yes they aren't all like that but basically same concept with a few details switched out and in.

Keep putting words in my mouth... or text on post i di... oh nvm

Level 21
just wanna clear up with you guys about sales here. people seem to think that xbox 360 is outselling ps3, but infact ps3 has shipped more consoles per day since its release than xbox has since release.

check out this web site

http://vgchartz.com/hwlaunch.php?cons1=Wii&reg1=All&cons2=PS3&reg2=All&cons3=X360&reg3=All&weeks=400

VGCHARTZ is generally considered the best analysis for this kinda stuff, they are non biased and reliable, and they are saying ps3 is beating xbox like for like.

i have a wii and its shit, its for kids and familys, not for real games. sorry wii fans but you have mario galaxy in terms of "hardcore" games and thats about it. hopefully this will change soon tho coz atm i feel i wasted my money.

Level 11
Case and point ^.^
Wii i think red steel looks good, but never played and heard it sucked, even my cousin said that and he adores the wii sadly. Even though he says it's awesome but hasn't said a single good thing about the games themselves... kinda contradicts himself.

Level 21
red steel suck hard, it was one of the reasons i got a wii but unfortuanately its the worst game i own. you basically have a really awkward controlling system, coupled with a lame and unrealistic "sword fighting" system, a bullshit plot and just general bad development which just leads to a bad game. mario super charged soccer is pretty good tho, but get boring fast.

Level 24
Fuck. I swear to God, one day missing big points like that is going to be the fucking death of me. I apologize for the Wii rant, and for missing that explanation. Anyways, immaturity and wanting to revisit childhood have nothing to do with it, Wii games are just fun. It's actually funny that you're talking about immaturity when you're declaring to the world that your balls have dropped.

Nope, XBox 360 still has a huge lead on PS3. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Console_wars#Worldwide_sales_figures_6
Each value has sources that are recent, and that I would consider valid, not to mention that VGChartz.com is showing that the XBox does have more units out.

Also, I wouldn't pay USD 100 for better graphics on the PS3 for ONE game, and there are plenty of games that play better on the XBox 360. About Final Fantasy, oh no, a whole two games that aren't even out yet. I'll wait for the reviews for now. And the Gamecube games that I played hardly lacked on graphics or gameplay. Metroid Prime 1&2, SSBM, LoZ:WW (although the big heads were a little distracting in this one). About the "same save peach crap" it's not the story that gets people to buy games, it's the gameplay. Who cares if basic storylines are reused? Gears of War didn't, Resistance: Fall of Man didn't (oh no, alien invasion, like this is new and hasn't been done to death. No really, we're not jumping on the bandwagon Halo created). Both of those games sold and moved units. And as far as gameplay, the Wii is plenty versatile enough to allow for all sorts of ways to do things. And even then, some people love seeing the exact same storyline beefed up and improved on.

I've heard Red Steel was a huge letdown.

Level 11
Uh the reused storylines, gears of war was popular because of multiplayer/online not the story line lol. Dunno about resistance never played it but i'm guessing the same thing.

SSBM is only game that I enjoyed on gamecube. I really enjoyed it, I really do admit it. Metroid's controls seemed a bit clunky, atleast first one. Never played second.

Final fantasy isn't gonna make two games for PS3 and just stop lmao.
The Wii games are just fun because of subconscious reasons, duh. But that's more of opinion then a debatable thing now.

I don't see where games play better on xbox, CoD gotta better reviews on ps3, so did lost planet, but I can't think of anymore for both systems. Don't really pay attention to games for xbox unless someone tells me about it.

Level 21
in my shop we sell wiis many to older people, over 30, with kids. we got mainly teenagers buying xboxs and ps3s. i got a wii because it was cheap (staff discount + sale :D ) but i really wish i hadnt because i think its a poor console. its not particularly fun because i dont think the "interactive" aspect is really that great. i dont think it is accurate enough. its not like when you are playing tennis your character actually re-creates the swing you do, its more "if you lean controller left do generic left animation, if you lean controller right do generic right animation" and i dont like that because it seems to me like the motion sensing is a gimic. the only time i have seen the controller actually work in a way that makes me think the motion sensing is useful is in the zelda crossbow game which is quite cool. apart from that i dont see the use of it, in my opinoin. i also think the graphics force the console to have a cartoon feel which i dont mind but is way too overdone (WoW), especially since im a next gen whore on the pc. so for me, i find a wii alot less fun then say, shooting people to bits on css, or doing a raid in WoW; which is a shame because i was hoping the motion sensing would give a new aspect to game play, yet for me it comes down to good old fasioned games design and not gimmics.

also halo did not create that band wagon, not by a long shot, if anything it should go to duke nukem (first), doom(first that was good for anything more than the voice acting) or half life(first in "true" 3D).

saying games play better on the xbox is your opinoin, but i dont think you can compare graphics or ai. the ps3 looks absolutely amazing when games like heavenly sword are on the go, and the ai is immense; you cant really argue about that too much.

in terms of exclusive games, i know for a fact i will prefer FF13, metal gear and gran turismo to any xbox counter parts...why? because i love them all so much that they would really have to fuck up to turn me to xbox.

having said that, recent price drop in xbox, only £180 for core system!

Level 11
Also tell me... are there any games on xbox not for the computer? I'm not talking emulator. Usually when xbox has a game to itself eventually they even put it on pc, like gears of war and halo, at first it was on xbox only but after awhile it came to the pc an even better.
Gears of War has it's own level editor, which I only heard was extremely powerful and very few game editors could match it.
So xbox only seems to have a point of having it at your house and friends coming over to play at same time.
If you like the controllers to a mouse and keyboard, like for an FPS doesn't feel a little better(but some games I like mouse and keyboard better) you can just use an xbox controller and hook it up to your tower and VIOLA!

See, talkin about the cartooish thing I hate that, it's getting old, new tech means better graphics so use it >.<
Almsot every game on the xbox and ps3 has been compared on two identical HD televisons, and ps3 has whiped the floor with graphics. Sadly I don't have an HD TV(in my room)

Metal gear has been dragged out too long imo, but gran turismo, and I can't wait for other racing games(need for speeds that looked amazing on ps2) to come out on ps3. It will be gorgeous. I hardly even like racing games XD

Well even though Wii is up, I don't think any of the systems are dropping out of the race yet, so we will just hope to see a considerable change in the next series. I'm guessing microsoft is gonna rush another system out, nintendo is going to wait for a good long time, not alot they can do with the Wii except upgrade their controllers so the sports games dont have the "generic" swings and more compatiable with what your doing.
I mean even the sixaxis moves smoothly and doesn't just do dumb repeat animations. Then sony will wait along time and hopefully, but doubtfully, put a nice graphics system, with no lighting problems, and at a reasonable price.

BTW have to check out GoW3 when it comes out, as long as it doesn't come out the year of FF13, or its counterpart FF vs 13 it should be game of the year. But ya never know.

Level 25
but gran turismo, and I can't wait for other racing games(need for speeds that looked amazing on ps2) to come out on ps3. It will be gorgeous. I hardly even like racing games XD

All racing games like that are the same and completely boring. Ooo, I can drive around a track several times and try to beat my best score. Yeah, that's not fun. Making it prettier does not change the fact they're rehashing the same game design from the original Playstation, except with new levels or something

Give me the good ones where I can crash into my opponents, wreck every car in my way, or fire homing anythings at my opponents. I play games for fun, not to look at pretty environments. If a game is fun and has nice environments, like Metroid Prime 2 for example, then its good

Level 36
The best racing games are those who strut the line between arcade-style fun and realistic driving action as well as in depth customization. IMO Need for Speed has really hit that between Underground 2 for the custom-heads, Hot Pursuit 2 for the arcade racers, and ProStreet for everyone in between.

Level 24
Suddenly I find myself in an argument about which console is better, whereas I thought I was arguing which was doing better. And I'm behind and don't feel like responding to everything else in the thread. As far as performance, I'd rate PS3, XBox 360, Wii. As far as innovation, I'd do Wii, PS3, XBox 360. PS3 loses points for ripping off motion sensing, but they get it back because XBox 360 didn't.

About the Wii being fun for "subconscious reasons," I'd say the thread of impending doom caused by your old Wii-mote flying off into something potentially valuable adds a certain undeniable thrill to the Wii. It's fun waving your arms around like some random psychopath, there's nothing subconscious about that.

Anyways, 2008 is predicted as a comeback year for the PS3, because all their nice exclusive series are finally coming out with PS3 titles.

P.S: Halo didn't create the bandwagon, but it sure gave it a booster shot.

Level 36
Well Microsoft itself admits that if Halo hadn't caught on, the original Xbox would have failed. It was their killer game, and it sold like wildfire. Without it, things might be very different, which is why MS screwed everything up for Bungie (completely halting Mac version, delaying PC version for years, when originally it was to be a PC game first and had no plans on the Xbox).

It all worked out though.

Level 27
Not sure if it has been said, and I do apologize for skipping a few posts, but what do you expect with what I voted?

A game with very low poly models, possibly not even textures, and your controller fully immerses your senses into the game.
Or.
A game with indistinguishable-from-reality graphics, and a joystick.

Former for me.

Last edited: