• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Solo Mini-Mapping Contest #7 - Boss Fight

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 16
So here's my screenie.
:)
WIP.JPG

Remixer

Map Reviewer
Level 31
Lookin' good!

Those purple and black cubes are called "click helpers" (they give the fire doodads something selectable in the editor) - if you press 'v', you can hide them ;)

another choice is pressing "i" though that also hides starting location circle and item dropping circles but won´t show up fog.

Again one more demonic/fell/fire map xD Look good. I want to ask does u make entire dungeon or u are fighting instand with boss. Because it's very bad idea (at leats i think so) to make fighting with boss, because u need to learn all steps of your hero before u start fighting with most powerful creature on map. So i think to its much better to put some mobs before boss. This is your first post ?

Level 4
@HammerFist132 heroes' spells aren't very original and player will have some time to learn them before the battle starts(he starts the battle, not boss), therefore i'm making only one boss with 4 phases, and together they will last ~20 minutes

Level 37
Okay here are some pictures of my entry. I was working today the terrain.

Not yet completed but something like this it will look. I would say 75% ready.

Attachments

• Comp Pic 001.jpg
    Comp Pic 001.jpg
    408.6 KB · Views: 135
  • Comp Pic 002.jpg
    Comp Pic 002.jpg
    407.2 KB · Views: 120
  • Comp Pic 003.jpg
    Comp Pic 003.jpg
    306.8 KB · Views: 62
  • Comp Pic 004.jpg
    Comp Pic 004.jpg
    372 KB · Views: 64
  • Comp Pic 005.jpg
    Comp Pic 005.jpg
    512.7 KB · Views: 97

Cokemonkey11

Spell Reviewer
Level 29
I disagree. The grass looks excellent. I also like the roots on the trees.

What I don't like is the awkward wind mill chillin in the middle

Edit - done for tonight I think. Got a lot done today, so I guess I'll at least have something playable to submit.

zRxnf.jpg

I'd say -

Terrain: 85%
Player: 20%
Boss: 35%
Gameplay: 50%
Overall: 25%

Last edited:
Time for a bit of lore:

Lore Part 1
Lainel
160036-albums4747-picture58044.png
One of the few remaining warriors of the old sacramentum, Lainel, was the first to hunt down Ank'anel.
He gathered tremendous powers to face the demon, the origins of whom are unknown. The epic battle had begun, until every soldier was sentenced to death with a single blow.
The chances of surviving against Ank'anel were too low. As the shadows slowly formed themselves around Lainel and surrounded his every bit,
he stared upwards, screaming out "Why did you abandon me, God?" and then he voluntarily petrified himself.
His statue is still standing at the way he desperately cried out for help, next to the destroyed remnants of the Temple of Imprisoned Light.

Last edited:
Level 10
Heres a small WIP of my terrain + the Boss. (Just his spawn area, the rest will be a frozen fortress.

I am just too slow on Progress, i'm pretty bad at terraining (And terraining with the alpha tile is frustrating D: , i even need help with the sky maybe), maybe i should focus more on the triggers >.<

113985d1336981184-solo-mini-mapping-contest-7-wip-boss-contest.jpg

Attachments

• WIP Boss contest.JPG
    WIP Boss contest.JPG
    153.5 KB · Views: 162

Remixer

Map Reviewer
Level 31
Time for a bit of lore:

Lore Part 1
Lainel
160036-albums4747-picture58044.png
One of the few remaining warriors of the old sacramentum, Lainel, was the first to hunt down Ank'anel.
He gathered tremendous powers to face the demon, the origins of whom are unknown. The epic battle had begun, until every soldier was sentenced to death with a single blow.
The chances of surviving against Ank'anel were too low. As the shadows slowly formed themselves around Lainel and surrounded his every bit,
he stared upwards, screaming out "Why did you abandon me, God?" and then he voluntarily petrified himself.
His statue is still standing at the way he desperately cried out for help, next to the destroyed remnants of the Temple of Imprisoned Light.

I would not use name "God" because you have other cool names such Lainel and Ank'anel. I would suggest to have custom name to god like 'Grantás' or something...

Cokemonkey11

Spell Reviewer
Level 29
I withdraw myself from the contest. I realized I don't have enough time to make what I wanted.

I would also like to apply as a judge. I believe I have adequate skills. I maybe don't have an approved map, but I m very experienced in map making, and I know what is required for a good bossfight, so I think I would make an excellent judge.

You should submit what you have anyway. I certainly won't finish mine, but I'll be submitting something playable anyway.

Really and I think to time for contest should be at least one week more.

I disagree. This is supposed to be a mini-mapping contest. If anything, it should be 1 week shorter, not longer.

I disagree. This is supposed to be a mini-mapping contest. If anything said:
Dude I have seen mini terraining contest - Blue and it is 3 weeks, after they seen to many will not finish they made contest week longer. And that is only terraining this is terraining, object, soung, gui, also idea, hero, ai and all in one if we calculate +and of school year one wek is little.

Cokemonkey11

Spell Reviewer
Level 29
Dude I have seen mini terraining contest - Blue and it is 3 weeks, after they seen to many will not finish they made contest week longer. And that is only terraining this is terraining, object, soung, gui, also idea, hero, ai and all in one if we calculate +and of school year one wek is little.

Check your VMs. We can have personal conversation outside a thread that 200+ people are subscribed to.

@NightElf125: Very nice. You should randomize the rotation of the trees at the outside I think.

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
oh shit! no team mates allowed?! then i got to terain myself?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

i guess i will try to make something i got some nice idea but terain will ruin my boss, haha

a few questions anyway.

1. we only make one boss then?
2. do i need lore information about the map?

I'm back, but with some changes. Instead of making 3-player boss, I am making a solo boss. I suppose I will gain enough time.
I started all from the beginning and for now, I am still in the character creation phase :D

So, a question:
Since this will be single player boss, would it be better if I do not make classes, but make fully-editable character instead?

Level 21
This sounded like a fun way for me to get back into Warcraft, so I decided to try making a retro platformer for the contest. The attached WIP screenshots are of the preparation area above the boss where the player will be able to gain gold for a shop and learn how to use hotkeys, combos and general survival tactics.

Attachments

• WIP01.png
    WIP01.png
    519.6 KB · Views: 120
  • WIP02.png
    WIP02.png
    579.3 KB · Views: 109
  • WIP03.png
    WIP03.png
    454.7 KB · Views: 97
Status
Not open for further replies.