Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Social Groups

Discussion in 'Latest Updates and News' started by Ralle, May 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Masiah

Masiah

Resources:
    Resources:
    Why should social groups stay?

Firstly, because they are useful. Many projects are actually developed within social groups; it's an option for starting ideas that still don't have enough consistency or members to ask for being a hosted project. Creating threads is not really an alternative, as they are completely open to everyone, while social groups do give some privacy. Not much, but just enough for keeping images, like concept art and stuff, away from general public and just to not appear in the “New Posts” section, so that some random user can go in and find out everything that is going on. Also, social groups are a good way for artists to group up to learn from each other and share ideas. I know free forums are an alternative for both, but why should users meet somewhere else? It is extra activity, most of it related to Warcraft, what this site is all about, and it may lead to the submission of awesome resources.

Secondly, because they are fun. Most of the "fun" obviously happens in the OT social groups, and I agree that these should be revised, deleting the ones that have gone out of hand or simply have died out, something that should have been done long ago. But, as Ash said, social groups have the same right to exist as the OT and SE forums do, and all together are quite an important fraction of the activity of the site.

Most of this has already been said.

But what should we do in the future?

The main problem with social groups is the obvious lack of control that staff has over them, maybe caused by lack of attention. How to solve this?
    Easy: In first place, just hire moderators whose specific function is to moderate social groups. I am convinced that there are many users trustworthy and willing to do so. Secondly, give group creators nearly absolute control over their own groups, so they are able to moderate the inner “threads” and images, and thus lowering the workload on aforementioned moderators.
    Still, we face the problem of the huge number of groups that are created; something that even a numerous group of moderators can’t cope with. The solution this is also quite simply: each created group will have to be approved by a moderator before it becomes functional. Any user can create one, but before it becomes open to public it has to be reviewed by Social Group Moderator (SGM), and if he or she considers that the purpose of said group is worthy enough, approve it. For example, “Worship” groups as “Frosty’s Bar” (sorry Frost) or “XXXXX fangroup” probably won’t get approved, while others like “Ideas for WC4”, a topic that continuously appears in the OT forum but with no specific function (unless we have a Blizzard employee lurking for ideas), or “Project X Group” should be approved. This decision is left to the SGM, and if in doubt, he or she can always contact the creator of the group so that this individual can expose his reasons for the creation of the group (obviously backed up with arguments). This measure should be activated just after the purge, which I consider necessary, is completed.
    Also, a good idea could be limit the access to inner threads (as access is limited to images in a group) so that only members and moderators can view them, reinforcing the point of privacy.
    I hope this ideas are useful, and didn’t hurt your eyes that much. If there is any point unclear or if you see any flaw in the system (other than possible lazynes of chaning things), please mention it and I'll try my best to fix it.

2. PurplePoot

PurplePoot

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Why wouldn't you want them to be open? Also, as I mentioned, the privacy of social groups derives from the fact that so many of them are garbage, which is being dealt with either way.

If you need a more private image gallery, you have one hooked to your profile already. It even has commenting.

It's actually mostly unrelated, and unless you demonstrate that the warcraft stuff cannot be ported to threads, it can be considered entirely unrelated.

But the thing is that OT and SE already cover that ground, thus leaving them redundant.

The moderator point just goes to show why they are unfeasible. However, if they could be made private viewing as well, then to a certain extent I see a use for them, as they actually become a private section. However, as Pyritie suggested, you can easily get a hosted forum which is invisible to the public, and they basically hand them out for free (from the looks of it).

--

In general, I think people forget just how much work this gives the moderators to prop up a redundant system.

3. Masiah

Masiah

Resources:
    Resources:
    Because people steal ideas. As simple as that. Once the garbage is dealt with and the creation of social groups limited as previously said, it will become a clean functional option for starting project teams. Heck, the possibility of setting the image gallery or the threads to be accesible or not to non-members will also be useful.

Yeah, but compressing the activity of a whole group into one user's profile is unadvisable, maybe even impossible. And people can't upload images on others' profiles, so social groups will be somehow like a "shared" profile.

Well, imagine that you are working on a model. By posting your unfinished work in an open thread (which can always be a possibilty) everyone can comment on, but probably most of the comments will be like "Hey good model, keep it up" when in reality you may be looking for an opinion of someone that actually KNOWS about modelling, not just some random guy. This is what groups can offer, a "forum" with limited acces.

Maybe... But they may serve another function, specially with popular topics. For example, there has been a thread about WC4 possibilites going since last year, and recently it somehow "died out". A few days ago, a new thread about exactly the same thing apeared. And before those two, I remember an older thread that talked about the same. By creating a group dedicated to talk about WC4, we shall stop seeing the same threads appearing over and over again, as people's opinions about the topic will be stored in the same place. This kind of groups may not be as relevant as the other, but I still see a great use in them.

Invisible to the public. You've said it yourself. What people seek with these groups is actually a somehow private place but that people know that it is there and what it is for, so that any individual with similar interests from Hive's community can join them. And if a group actually really grows very active and big, this subcommunity will voluntary move on to their own forum to talk about whatever they like to, something that has already happened.

I am convinced that there are people that are willing to do so, as they enjoy the activity in the social groups. And if there is so much work to, just hire more moderators, as suggested. Sometimes redundancy is the only way to keep a powerfull tool, such as social groups, under control.

4. PurplePoot

PurplePoot

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    If it is open to the public so that they can join then it is not private so that it is protected. You can't have both.

Also, you can't just "hire more moderators". For one, a moderator should be an enthusiast, but that does not mean an enthusiast should be a moderator. Additionally, staffs get less and less stable the larger they become, and adding a bunch of new moderators whenever anything occurs is only asking for long-term collapse.

5. Mr. Bob

Mr. Bob

Resources:
    Models:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    ARGH did nobody read my post?

It can be private if made private. Simply get it approved. Problem solved. It can be public for fun. I see no problem there. But, it can also be spammy. Then someone can report it and then Ralle can delete it.

Problem solved. Now close this blasted thread.

6. Tleno

Tleno

Resources:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Resources:
    Bob is right. Problem is solved. For now...

7. kommunist

kommunist

Resources:
    Resources:
    +1:hohum:

8. PurplePoot

PurplePoot

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Saying the problem is solved does not solve it, apparently contrary to popular belief.

9. Mr. Bob

Mr. Bob

Resources:
    Models:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Problem is solved. Saying it reveals the fact.

10. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Well, if you actually reveal the "facts", then say "Problem Solved", I can see what you mean.

11. Mr. Bob

Mr. Bob

Resources:
    Models:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I did. lol XD

Remember? I said "It can be private if made private. Simply get it approved. Problem solved. It can be public for fun. I see no problem there. But, it can also be spammy. Then someone can report it and then Ralle can delete it."

12. HappyCockroach

HappyCockroach

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Totally. PurplePoot isn't being very reasonable anymore against the groups.

13. HailFireer

HailFireer

Resources:
    Resources:
    This tread is getting out of hands!!!

14. PurplePoot

PurplePoot

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    My point is that they are redundant. You can say you want them anyways, but being redundant they are not viable from a moderation standpoint.

Meh.

15. Linaze

Linaze

Resources:
    Models:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    We should first and foremost allow our community director to clean up any spammy and non-contribution groups. After that, perhaps we should get some kind of Social Group Moderator that that would approve/disapprove groups, take care of situations where a group has been reported for spam or so and also in certain cases even delete groups if he/she deems it necesarry.

16. a7xpwns3

a7xpwns3

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    I'll be one :D

17. busterkomo

busterkomo

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    You don't volunteer to be a moderator. If you're qualified to moderate a section of the site, then the administration will contact you.

And social groups were never private in the first place. They were basically a thread merged with an album.

18. Masiah

Masiah

Resources:
    Resources:
    At least we all agree that a SGM is needed.

19. RED BARON

RED BARON

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Yea, and as he already is appointed... All is well

20. Masiah

Masiah