• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

So I just finished HOTS Campaign...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 14
Surprisingly in the end it felt better than WOL.

However I do not know why exactly. Since there are a lot of stupid things about this campaign. Like the cinematic where Sarah frees Raynor, and Raynor has a gun.

The missions are pretty good, but at times there can be too much hand holding.

Some parts of the story are too cheesy. Some aspects don't make sense really. Like why would you have mineral fields to mine inside a facility. And again, most of the time it just feels like you are the attacker, and there is no one who can hinder you at all.

Stukov being revived I didn't like. Sure he gives some nice insight into the UED, but seriously... "doesn't anyone stay dead anymore?".

The line about "Fenix and the millions killed" from Raynor pretty much came out of no where. For someone who only played SC2... who the fuck is Fenix? It just felt that they threw that out there in order to appease the fans. Like "Hey look, Raynor remembers his promise! He just can't do it".

The evolution missions... are no challenge really. I would have liked to have these missions maybe as secondary objectives in main missions. That way if you managed to complete it you would have been rewarded with evolution.

All in all, the campaign felt short, lack luster, but at least it didn't suck as much as WOL (story wise).

Level 14
I know what happened in the original Starcraft. I still feel they are badly portrayed in SC2.

Evolution missions still felt crappy for me.

I found evolution missions pretty painful too. It's nice to have maps to teach you how to use the units that become available after completing them, but making them mandatory just felt like it was preventing me from experiencing the parts of the campaign that I actually enjoyed.

Surprisingly in the end it felt better than WOL.

Some parts of the story are too cheesy.

The plot in its most basic form in WoL and HotS was far too simple. There weren't any incredible twists except the events of Zerus which only managed to undo the advancements to the plot brought by WoL; restoring Kerrigan's human form. Aside from that the story was pretty predictable. In WoL, the Zerg threat is neutralized. In HotS, Mengsk is killed.

Stukov being revived I didn't like. Sure he gives some nice insight into the UED, but seriously... "doesn't anyone stay dead anymore?".

Yes, Stukov's story was butchered. I'm glad we go to explore the UED a bit more, but there's almost no reason to do so now because of how unlikely it is that we'll see them return any time soon. His change in voice actor and the lack of similarity between the appearances of Stukov in HotS and Brood War made it feel as if he was an entirely different character and so I could not get attached to him.

The line about "Fenix and the millions killed" from Raynor pretty much came out of no where. For someone who only played SC2... who the fuck is Fenix? It just felt that they threw that out there in order to appease the fans. Like "Hey look, Raynor remembers his promise! He just can't do it".

I personally loved a lot of the references to Brood War. I can't recall this one specifically, but as someone who had a rough time immersing myself in the WoL story, to be reminded that this was still the same series I fell in love with ten years ago was refreshing.

There's a brief reference to Daggoth in one of the evolution missions. That was definitely my favourite! :p

Reactions: Rui

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Like the cinematic where Sarah frees Raynor, and Raynor has a gun
You mean a pea shooter? You are aware that Marines use great big automatic cannon too powerful for humans to fire without power armor? The reason they use such big guns is Zerg carapaces are inches thick (several feet for Ultralisk and large structures), Protoss armor is incredibly resilient and surrounded by a Plasma Shield and even Terran power armor is about an inch thick with tough metals.

Firing a handgun at a marine in full power armor is the same as firing a handgun at modern day tank, it will do nothing at all. As he will be killing no one using that tiny thing so they had no reason to take it off him. They did, however, take his trademark skull faced power armor and his over sized gauss rifle, which is considerably better than the average marine.

You can also imagine Mensk giving special orders to leave him with the gun. What better way to get rid of Raynor than having him kill himself. One can assume Mensk was forcing Raynor to watch/hear an over-exaduration of what Kerrigan was doing. He would have wanted to break Raynor and drive him to suicide. Clearly it had little effect on Raynor next to breaking his heart.

Like why would you have mineral fields to mine inside a facility.
Because you need minerals to make units. Kerrigan is powerful but not that powerful. More a gameplay device than plot.

And again, most of the time it just feels like you are the attacker, and there is no one who can hinder you at all.
That is the difference between playing as a fighting force run from inside a single battlecruiser and playing as a large alien organization that controls hundreds of solar systems. She was the attacker as she controlled a huge army, unlike Raynor who lacked the firepower to take on the Dominion. In fact Raynor was only able to rescue Kerrigan by using the bulk of the Dominion fleet with the help of Prince Valarian and General Warfield as otherwise the Zerg would have crushed his pathetic attempt almost instantly.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
I've never understood why people base their buying of a starcraft game on its campaign when the series' success is almost solely from the multiplayer.

And HotS definitely delivers in multiplayer.
That doesn't mean it can't have a decent campaign. WarCraft III's campaigns were better in a few aspects.

I've played WoL multiplayer, but I prefer team games and I think Blizzard's matching system isn't all that good. Most of the times it says things are even when through the gameplay it's clear that it's not.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Most of the times it says things are even when through the gameplay it's clear that it's not.
Or is it? The entire point of match making is to match you with people of about equal play skill. When fighting people of equal play skill you will be challenged and pushed to your limits since they are as good as you (and the only way to win is do better). Since you are constantly feeling challenged you may think that the opponent is better than you but in reality he is in the same position as you are (he thinks you are better than him).

It only breaks if it matches someone from top leagues to someone on Bronze as one is a king of micro and the other barely knows how to play. This should never happen though.

Level 14
W00t, responses. Now, to elaborate.

The plot in HOTS is basic, and more simpler. But I wasn't talking about that. I played WOL in one play-through, in one night. Did all missions, conversations etc. It really didn't feel like I was playing Starcraft at all, not until Char missions. Then it all got interesting for me, and I was really pumped. I completed mission 'All In', saw the ending cinematic, and felt really crappy. I really felt let down and disappointed. The ending just felt a big shit from Blizzard. I literary felt like Blizzard was mocking me with a the most retarded cliff-hanger of all time. So I was glad that the end of HOTS wasn't as bad.

Stukov did feel like a new character. But I would rather have him be dead still. It's just another little thing which undoes what happened in Broodwar.

The references to the original game and Broodwar did the opposite for me. At this point I feel SC2 is just a completely different game from a story and atmosphere perspective, that reminding me all those lines feels like you are reminding me there is a better campaign out-there which occupies 200mb. The only thing which does for me is to remind how much they have revamped the starcraft story.

@busterkomo - it's because the original game had a great story with a certain atmosphere. Many of us who got to play the original game, wanted that kind of atmosphere to remain. That didn't happen however.

@DrSuperGood - yeah, that's retarded. I'm sorry but if maybe at one point someone needed to talk to see Raynor and that person didn't have a suit... do what? Suit-up everyone who wants to meet Raynor? That sounds pretty counter-logic for me. If Mengsk wanted Raynor dead, he would have done it himself. He already claimed Raynor was dead. It doesn't matter how Raynor dies, all that matters is how it's claimed and perceived by everyone else. Having Raynor keep his gun, is, counter-logic.

I know it's gameplay device. Lazily added if you ask me.

You just never feel hindered. All your victories are absolute, and nothing comes back to bite you in the ass or complicate the situation. You are literary steam-rolling everything. There are no strategic choices to be had. Like in Broodwar at one point, you had to choose if you want the enemy to lack Nukes or Battlecruisers.

As for the Evolution missions, that's exactly how I felt. I felt that I was just wasting time, to see a 5 minute demonstration. I would much rather have these mission somehow died to the secondary objectives of missions, making them harder to get and thus more rewarding, and not feel as time wasting.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Stukov did feel like a new character. But I would rather have him be dead still. It's just another little thing which undoes what happened in Broodwar.
He was not dead in Broodwars? Apparently you cured and captured his Zerg hybrid form using a Protoss antidote and handed him over as a sort of prisoner. Dr Narud/Duran then experimented on him with Protoss and Zerg components turning him into the cool thing he is now.

yeah, that's retarded. I'm sorry but if maybe at one point someone needed to talk to see Raynor and that person didn't have a suit... do what? Suit-up everyone who wants to meet Raynor? That sounds pretty counter-logic for me.
No one would see Raynor, ever. Kerrigan tried to and Mengsk ordered the ship self-destruct.

If Mengsk wanted Raynor dead, he would have done it himself. He already claimed Raynor was dead.
He was too valuable to him alive as he knew Kerrigan could not attack as long as he held a knife at Raynor. He also wanted to twist Raynor into killing Kerrigan (thus another possible reason for the gun?).

It doesn't matter how Raynor dies, all that matters is how it's claimed and perceived by everyone else. Having Raynor keep his gun, is, counter-logic.
Mengsk was not thinking logically is the thing. He had been driven insane by Duran/Narud and his own greed. His insanity was such that he ordered the destruction of a battlecruiser with his son on-board even though Raynor was nowhere near it and they were willing to negotiate.

One can assume that Narud/Duran supported his every decision, saying that an artefact would save him from Kerrigan (which it nearly did) and promising him an army of invincible Hybrids (that would never be his to command as they only serve Amon). Despite this he ordered the forceful shutdown of Narud/Durans laboratories so it is assumed he either did a King Leoric or he found out he had no control over the Hybrid.

In either case he still was not of sound mind as he sat in his capitol as the rest of the planet was being destroyed. His only goal, to kill Kerrigan using the artefact at melee range (like a zealot who has been brain washed).

You just never feel hindered. All your victories are absolute, and nothing comes back to bite you in the ass or complicate the situation. You are literary steam-rolling everything. There are no strategic choices to be had. Like in Broodwar at one point, you had to choose if you want the enemy to lack Nukes or Battlecruisers.
They had that in WoL with the final mission and the general coconscious was that one choice was considerably easier than the other and people regretted not choosing the other. The Zerg campaigns have always been about dominating and absolute victories, so it is not anything different that HotS did the same.

As for the Evolution missions, that's exactly how I felt. I felt that I was just wasting time, to see a 5 minute demonstration. I would much rather have these mission somehow died to the secondary objectives of missions, making them harder to get and thus more rewarding, and not feel as time wasting.
They were little amusing breaks. Allowing you to see units in a light different from when you are rushing them all-over the place under time limits.

You can also imagine Mensk giving special orders to leave him with the gun. What better way to get rid of Raynor than having him kill himself. One can assume Mensk was forcing Raynor to watch/hear an over-exaduration of what Kerrigan was doing. He would have wanted to break Raynor and drive him to suicide. Clearly it had little effect on Raynor next to breaking his heart.

To be honest, I didn't notice the gun being left in Raynor's possession and it doesn't bother me terribly that it does, but I want to throw my two cents in now that it's been brought up! As satisfying Raynor committing suicide would be for Mengsk, it doesn't make sense given that he was holding Raynor for use against Kerrigan. Leaving him the gun creates a whole lot of risk that he would lose a valuable weapon.

He was not dead in Broodwars? Apparently you cured and captured his Zerg hybrid form using a Protoss antidote and handed him over as a sort of prisoner. Dr Narud/Duran then experimented on him with Protoss and Zerg components turning him into the cool thing he is now.

You're correct about what happened after Brood War. Personally though, I feel it's just such an awkward, complicated backstory that's not fully explained in Heart of the Swarm. The writters could have tackled it better.

He was too valuable to him alive as he knew Kerrigan could not attack as long as he held a knife at Raynor. He also wanted to twist Raynor into killing Kerrigan (thus another possible reason for the gun?).

Though I find it hard to believe Mengsk would have been thinking that far, that's an interesting possibility!

They were little amusing breaks. Allowing you to see units in a light different from when you are rushing them all-over the place under time limits.

(If it isn't obvious enough from the quote, this is talking about evolution missions again.) Evolution missions are, indeed, very useful for experimenting and exploring your options, but it's simply the fact that you're forced to do them to unlock the tech that makes it frustrating. In the case of the first couple evolution missions, I already knew a lot about the units I was choosing from as they were revealed in videos before the game's release. I also imagine it would be very frustrating if you wanted to do a full second play through of the campaign and already being familiar with the tech (not using the Master Archives). Also, I have a relatively old computer and it doesn't run Starcraft II very well, so every time I load up one of these missions it takes quite awhile. The whole process is quite frustrating for me.

The plot in HOTS is basic, and more simpler. But I wasn't talking about that. I played WOL in one play-through, in one night. Did all missions, conversations etc. It really didn't feel like I was playing Starcraft at all, not until Char missions. Then it all got interesting for me, and I was really pumped. I completed mission 'All In', saw the ending cinematic, and felt really crappy. I really felt let down and disappointed. The ending just felt a big shit from Blizzard. I literary felt like Blizzard was mocking me with a the most retarded cliff-hanger of all time. So I was glad that the end of HOTS wasn't as bad.

Ah, I suppose we have some pretty different opinions on the campaign then. For me, I thought the plot of both campaigns were lacking after I played through them, but as I was experiencing them for the first time I loved the stories. I loved WoL especially. Taking on a huge task with limited resources, the atmosphere, the characters. All of it felt very appropriate for me. Not very true to how Starcraft games were played in the past, but it felt new and refreshing. I will agree though that Char was pretty interesting, but that the ending was awful. Cliff hangers suck and the focus on the romance felt odd to me. That is an exception to my approval of the change in atmosphere. This was the same deal with HotS's ending, which I actually was no more pleased with than the ending of WoL. When Kerrigan flew off into the distance and the tone of the music shifted, I couldn't help but sigh and cover my eyes. I think both campaigns suffered from Blizzard's decision to release each story as a separate game. The original Starcraft had one large story arc with a satisfying conclusion, as did Brood War, and I expect the Starcraft II trilogy will as well. WoL and HotS on their own, however, have much smaller story arcs and their conclusions advance the story a lot less. I'm having troubles explaining what I mean, but trust me, it makes sense!

@busterkomo - it's because the original game had a great story with a certain atmosphere. Many of us who got to play the original game, wanted that kind of atmosphere to remain. That didn't happen however.

I think this basically sums up the difference between our opinions. You wanted to maintain that atmosphere and I felt the changes were refreshing.

You just never feel hindered. All your victories are absolute, and nothing comes back to bite you in the ass or complicate the situation. You are literary steam-rolling everything.

I agree with this. In Brood War, Kerrigan starts off as the underdog, not having control of much of the Swarm. Although this is the case at the start of HotS as well, she is superior to the leaders of all the independent broods and doesn't have the might of an entire UED Fleet aligned against her.

On a side note, what was with that Psi Destroyer thing on Korhal? Mengsk unveils his big secret weapon and it does next to nothing. I found that to be a very off-putting addition to the story.

Last edited:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Leaving him the gun creates a whole lot of risk that he would lose a valuable weapon.
If Raynor did kill himself, obviously he would keep lying to Kerrigan until she found out the truth. As he wanted to have a showdown with her, we can only assume he was deranged as a result of Narud/Durans influence.

You're correct about what happened after Brood War. Personally though, I feel it's just such an awkward, complicated backstory that's not fully explained in Heart of the Swarm. The writters could have tackled it better.
They wanted him for the coolness factor and to give the Swarm a bit of humanity. Like Kerrigan, he possesses power far beyond what the Swarm is capable of (because he was experimented on by servants of Amon). He is also capable of feeling compassion for humans like the new Kerrigan, unlike all other Swarm commanders (although Kerrigan is working on that). These factors make him a very good ally to Kerrigan who will help stop her reverting back to her old ways.

There is also that hint of mystery to him. Why was he allowed to escape? Perhaps he got lucky and desperate and needed to stop Amon's plans. Perhaps he was allowed to escape as part of Amon's will and is in place to betray Kerrigan in LotV. Only time will tell however we can be sure to see him again in LotV.

Also, I have a relatively old computer and it doesn't run Starcraft II very well, so every time I load up one of these missions it takes quite awhile. The whole process is quite frustrating for me.
The missions themselves are about a 5 minute job. There is no real way to fail them (it instantly resets to before a task). They should also load in a couple of seconds if you have been playing the game recently, if they fail to do so then your computer must be running out of memory for cached files. Inserting an extra 1-2GB of memory would fix this and make the maps load considerably faster.

and doesn't have the might of an entire UED Fleet aligned against her.
Actually that was just a small UED task force, not a UED fleet. It was sent without any real firepower and equipped with only very light weapons on the premises that they could take control of local forces (both Terran and Zerg included) which is where their firepower came from. With local the local Terran fleets and Zerg at their control, they did not need to send in their real fleets.

Ultimately its destruction was insignificant compared to the actual UED fleets. The reason a replacement taskforce (or a fleet) has not been sent already is that the UED is meant to be having internal political conflicts which is causing quite a bit of confusion over territories and priorities for their military. Add to that Mengsk being very planning and you probably have it that the Dominion has been sending false reports back to the UED, tricking them into thinking they do not need to send reinforcements.

The fact is the UED are meant to be insanely powerful. They are probably so powerful that the Zerg Swarm would be no match to them (Kerrigan trying to attack Earth like she did Korhal would be stopped long before she even reaches the solar system). They could probably stop both the Protoss and the Zerg in their current states without even using their entire fleet.

So how come all humans die if Kerrigan was to have been killed in WoL? It is unclear if the battle focused on within the Galaxy and the Humans the Protoss knew about or if the UED really was destroyed there (only was going to be destroyed next). However what is clear is that Amon is extremely powerful, possessing knowledge far beyond anything the Protoss, Zerg and Terrans (Dominion, not UED) can achieve. With full control over the Zerg and his Hybrids to control them, he probably would have expanded massively until even the superior power of the UED could not drive back the overwhelming numbers.

One of the game developers said it was quite possible that the UED possess "Death Star" like weaponry on their battle-cruisers, where the forward cannon can destroy planets.

Remember that the Terrans of the Dominion were all settlers that came from criminals. All their base knowledge was that of a subset of what became the UED and due to "third-world" development probably progressed far slower than the UED. I would not be surprised if UED military units are shielded like all Protoss units.

On a side note, what was with that Psi Destroyer thing on Korhal? Mengsk unveils his big secret weapon and it does next to nothing.
It was not on Korhal, but floating above on a platform. The idea was it would emit an ever expanding shield that would eventually cover Korhal forcing all Zerg off the surface and thus stopping the invasion (until their fleets could break through and save them). It is unclear if it was one of Narud/Duran's creations or not (as he would have done anything to get Kerrigan killed as she is a threat to Amon) but it obviously something that the Terran possess the knowhow for (like how the UED can build facilities to locally control the Swarm).

It works by putting huge feedback through psionic links. In the case of the Zerg Swarm this is the connection between all Zerg and their commanders (used to be cerebrates and overmind, now its queens). The result is they literally destroyed by it if they enter the field. Since Kerrigan has such a Psyonic link to control the Zerg she is hurt heavily by it and even short exposure could fry her mind. Since the psionic link that controls the Swarm was a feature added to the Zerg by Amon, the Primal Zerg have no such thing and thus were not affected by it.

Stukov could possibly have also stopped the generators since I doubt he had a very strong psionic link but they needed to use that stupid Primal Zerg guy as otherwise he was excess baggage on her flagship. Also I think you were meant to use all heroes at once originally but that was axed so they had to get the Primal guy to make some appearance.

On a lesser note, the Psy Destroyer field would also work on Protoss as they also have a universal psionic link, killing all normal Protoss who enter it with ease. This includes their Zealots, Stalkers, Immortals, Dragoons, Scouts, Void Rays and everything else that is manned by normal Protoss. High Templars, Dark Templars and all their robots would be unaffected by it for the logical reasons that they have no psionic link.

In case you referring to the artefact in Mengsk's throne room, then that is a different story. It is basically a large psionic drain that sucks psionic energy from anything psionic nearby. Since Mengsk and Raynor do not have strong Psyonic abilities, they feel nothing at all from it. Since Kerrigan is a very powerful Psyonic being and a Zerg queen (who uses Psyonic links to control all Zerg) she would be very badly affected by it, weakening her to such a state that she would probably die.

It basically worked, Mengsk won as Kerrigan was powerless and cringing, if not for one variable he never considered. Despite all that Kerrigan did, despite all that Mengsk torched Raynor about Kerrigan, despite Raynor being heart broken, Raynor still was behind Kerrigan and came in at the last minute to save the day, shooting the remote control from Mengsk's hand allowing Kerrigan to finish him.

This is also meant to prove all the full Zerg commanders wrong with their beliefs. They were for ever saying how pathetic the humans are and questioning why Kerrigan was so merciful to them when she clearly was so much more powerful than them. They would have killed every human, Raynor included if they could. However in the end their all powerful queen, representing the pinnacle of Zerg achievement, won by not being Zerg but by being Human, and keeping her Human promises with Raynor who came in to save her. One can imagine that the Zerg will forever see Humans in a new light, as equals rather than inferiors like they had in the past. This paves the way for a galaxy peace at the end of LotV, where the Terran and Zerg will be friends and respect each others existence.

On a miscellaneous note, the Artefact would work to not only stop Kerrigan, but Zeratul and any Protoss Templar as well since they are also heavily Psyonic.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Normal protoss use the psionic links.
I think the effectiveness of the artefact is a function of their psionic power and not that they share a psionic link. This is why Zerg could destroy the artefact in the final mission of WoL. The blast that was emitted when you request was redirecting absorbed power through the psionic link in a psyonic explosion, which would kill normal protoss as they have a link but not harm High Templars.

The artefact itself acts as a giant psionic drain when stimulated correctly. So beings with weak psionic presences such as lowly zerg, terrans and probably most protoss would not be affected by it although they may feel strange near it.

The real irony is that Primal Zerg guy could have easily finished Mengsk off as the artefact is totally ineffective against him as he lacks any form of psionic capability. Like wise the Russian guy could probably have also done it as he is not inherently psionic. Equally well Raynor could have busted more marines and raced Kerrigan to Mengsk, but he probably wanted to show off for his girl friend.

Level 2
I am currently through the missions in Dominion Space, so I think I have them and the final missions maybe 7 missions left to go through, all on Brutal. I liked the cinematic and the battle vs Narud.

Brutal seems easier than it was on WoL, and that speaks a lot since I never played zerg and im a Terran.

I liked both campaigns, HotS is even more interesting, I cannot say anything bad about it, there are some cheesy moments but I don't see what people complain so much about..

Level 14
Thing is, the dynamic relationships between all the characters in Broodwar, were kind on par with those from "The Good, The Bad and The Ugly" or even "For a few dollars more". Those characters, their relationships, everything was so mature really. Also the story, more or less, was unpredictable.

You could guess how things would turn out generally because Zerg would be the last campaign, so they should win Broodwar right? But through the story alone, it wasn't predictable what will happen next. Duran left Kerrigan before the final mission, that was something unexpected, it raised questions, but Kerrigan didn't have the time to explore that question. She was under attack by 3 factions. You would find the answer to that question in the Secret Mission.

But SC2 lacks the mature dynamic relationships from Broodwar, while at the same time, the original audience of SC1 matured itself, we are 10 to 15 years older now, since the first time we experienced Broodwar.

My problem with SC2 in general, is that so many things are left to interpretation. Like the fact that Raynor has a gun in his cell. I personally want the game to answer that question for me, not the interpretation of DSG or anyone else really. And there are overall just so many cheesy lines and scenes in SC2.

Broodwar didn't have cheesy lines and couldn't have cheesy scenes. Mostly because the technology didn't allow it. This is a personal question of mine for a while, are the stories & atmosphere from the older Blizzard games better because the company was thinking better, or because Blizzard couldn't apply their cheesy ideas because they were restricted by technology?

Many people argued that it's just about nostalgia. For me it isn't just nostalgia. The atmosphere and story in Broodwar is just superior in every aspect. SC2 is so linear...

Last edited:
Level 14
When it is physically less linear than SC1 because it allows you to make choices in the order you do missions and what you use in missions?!

I've come to a revelation. I think you have no feelings.

Yes, mathematically, theoretically, whatever, SC2 is less linear. In terms of experience, of emotions, it's very linear.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
That thought is probably helped by the fact that they unveil practically the entire plot during trailers. Ever since you started WoL you knew Raynor would end up going to Char ("So I'm going back to Char... to get the job done") and you also knew Kerrigan would be going after Mengsk because of the line "The killing will never stop until Mengsk is dead". The era of nearly real-life graphics comes with a sometimes irrational need for show-off.

Obviously, if you have the ending point, wherever the starting point is, you can trace a line. Therefore linear :grin:

Level 14
That thought is probably helped by the fact that they unveil practically the entire plot during trailers. Ever since you started WoL you knew Raynor would end up going to Char ("So I'm going back to Char... to get the job done") and you also knew Kerrigan would be going after Mengsk because of the line "The killing will never stop until Mengsk is dead". The era of nearly real-life graphics comes with a sometimes irrational need for show-off.

Obviously, if you have the ending point, wherever the starting point is, you can trace a line. Therefore linear :grin:

True. But there could be things in the middle which could make it feel less linear. But those things don't exist.

Level 5
You are aware that Marines use great big automatic cannon too powerful for humans to fire without power armor?

You do realize how weak power-armor has been demonstrated to be in StarCraft II? Moreso, because of Raynor's constant military victories, you would have to wonder if the gun that he carries when he's drunk and vulnerable, where anybody could get him (Joeyray's bar), is a peashooter.

More likely, it's a very powerful gun, and the appearance of it being a weak, vintage gun is a deception. In the 2200s, the Supercarriers travelled a distance of 60,000 light years in around 20 years. With technology like that, why would weak handguns be manufactured in the 2500s? The leader of the strongest rebel group in the Sector, would not be carrying around a pea-shooter.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
You do realize how weak power-armor has been demonstrated to be in StarCraft II?
It has been shown so? Zerg units may look weak but trying to punch one without power armor would be like punching a brick wall as their bodies are meant to use all kinds of composites to improve durability. Protoss units are literally aliens surrounded by force fields and the fact humans can fight them shows how powerful they are.

Also Raynor does not use a standard cheap suit. He uses a special Death Skull suit that was made by one of the most brilliant Power Armor engineers as a special gift. This is why he has considerably more health than a standard marine when in it and why he can take on generic enemy ghosts with ease.

He was only captured because he did not face a normal Ghost, he was forced to confront Nova. Nova is one of the Dominions best Ghosts, if not the best Ghost. Her abilities include mind control and improved cloaking (she can sneak up on Tosh without him sensing her). You will probably find no shots were even fired as Nova just dominated Raynor's mind and forced him to surrender.

DSG, you're forgetting the fact that Zerg are controlled by Psionic links. Thus having them hit by the artifact would equal death or at least rampage.
The Artefact acts as a giant Psionic drain. It was created with the purpose of draining beings like Kerrigan for enough power to revive Amon (or bring him to the universe from the void?).

The blast given off by the artefact fed back through the Zerg psionic link to deal high damage. Normal Zerg are killed by his but Kerrigans toughness makes it very ineffective. However this was a separate mode of operation from the actual charging that was done in parallel, the super blast given off at the end of WoL that restored Kerrigan actually drained psionic power.. It weakened her enough that she reverted back to a Human as the Zerg stuff probably died due to a lack of power. The Zerg probably shut down due to the lack of a Psionic link.

Kerrigan's Zerg form was specially designed to take advantage of her Psionic powers, this is not the case for most Zerg which rather rely on physical strength. It is also why her Primal Zerg form is absolutely powerless against the artefact as it would render every cell in her useless as it drains all power away from her.

The Artefact required huge amounts of power and time to charge. It would not be possible to charge such a thing without Kerrigan knowing of it (why she was attacking you with everything she had in WoL). However it only needed to charge when blasting a near planet-wide area. To blast in melee range, no pre-charging is required which is how it was very effective against Kerrigan.

This would be ineffective against Hydralisks which could shoot ranged spines far out of the range of the Artefact. It also has no effect on Ultralisks as the range is so small compared to their size. Primal Zerg are not affected at all by it since they have no Psionic capabilities in the first place. This means that the artefact was only good to use against Kerrigan. Mengsk knew Kerrigan would have to finish it herself and her confidence of her strength was her weakness so he felt completely safe.

He never expected Raynor to still be so loyal to her. Seeing how Kerrigan now acted with compassion in her as opposed to her previous form which was being toyed with by Amon Raynor still saw the same person he knew, not some twisted monster. Thus in the end Raynor was the hero.

Moreso, because of Raynor's constant military victories, you would have to wonder if the gun that he carries when he's drunk and vulnerable, where anybody could get him (Joeyray's bar), is a peashooter.
Reality is humans cannot fire big guns as the recoil would send them through the wall behind. Shooting down Marines or Zerglings with such a gun may be possible but many rounds would be required. Using it against tougher Zerg like Roaches or Terran units like Maurders is pointless as they will hardly take any damage.

Raynor never had to defend himself as his reputation alone meant all criminals surrendered to him without violence. Which makes the irony of his position and why he got the position in the first place.

More likely, it's a very powerful gun, and the appearance of it being a weak, vintage gun is a deception. In the 2200s, the Supercarriers travelled a distance of 60,000 light years in around 20 years. With technology like that, why would weak handguns be manufactured in the 2500s? The leader of the strongest rebel group in the Sector, would not be carrying around a pea-shooter.
The gun is being carried around for other reasons. I think he has it to symbolise justice as he used such a gun (the same gun?!) to administer justice to someone in the past. In WoL he probably intended to use it on Mengsk at the start, then latter Kerrigan but could never bring it on himself when he realised Tychus was a puppet of Mengsk.

The gun was left on him because he was being toyed with. Either he used the Gun on Kerrigan and killed her (which is what Mengsk planned I am guessing) or he killed himself with it. Either way Mengsk would win. You will also find that it has limited ammunition, probably only 1 bullet which represents the justice that needed to be served.

However Raynor could not bring himself to do it to Kerrigan. The exact reasons are hard to tell. But it is along the lines that he loved her and was very confused why she turned back to the Zerg and continued to be attracted to him. However in the end it was the fact she really had changed, that she now felt compassion for humans (specifically holding back on attacks to let Valarian evacuate civilians even though it put her at a disadvantage) that convinced Raynor to join her at the end.

What will happen in LotV is unclear, however I will not be surprised if Raynor and Kerrigan go into battle together. Also I will not be surprised if the Zerg have new opinions on the Terrans after seeing what Raynor did.

Level 5
He uses a special Death Skull suit that was made by one of the most brilliant Power Armor engineers as a special gift.

hiram feek made it in the guild wars lulz ya realize its been a long time since the good ol' kel-morian conflict.

This is why he has considerably more health than a standard marine when in it

gameplay-story segregation

Reality is humans cannot fire big guns as the recoil

in the 23rd century humans pulled off 60,000 light years of travel in 28 yrs. in the 26th century recoil will be quite irrelevant
man don't be a playa hater

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
in the 23rd century humans pulled off 60,000 light years of travel in 28 yrs. in the 26th century recoil will be quite irrelevant
man don't be a playa hater
The Terrans of SC1/2 are not the Humans of Earth. They are considerably more primitive than those from Earth.

This is why the UED had no problem controlling the Zerg and taking over the entire system with nothing but a exploratory expedition. Although almost all of it was lost in the end, their military power was unaffected at all. It is guessed that the Humans from Earth possess the power to destroy both Protoss and Zerg with ease in their current states at least.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
and your source for the UED expe fleet not bein much relative to the main UED dudes?
1. It only consisted of a few Battlecruisers (most of what you had to deal with was captured from the Terrans of the area). For a government consisting of many sectors, this seems kind of pathetic.
2. It was sent to enforce control over the area, many such fleets were sent out to other systems. Most systems did not have Mengsk who would oppose any such take over, many probably joined willingly.
3. It had the goal of doing some research on the Zerg to see if they were also controllable. The Zerg are a major fighting force in the area but not the entire universe.
4. It had to investigate the Protoss threat.

Both the Zerg and Protoss were only considered minor threats by the UED. They were enough to raise concern about the security of Earth and thus were partly the reason of the creation of the UED but they were not considered strong enough to be a threat one the UED was founded since its combined military might was considerably larger than anything they had.

Evidence of the UED superior technology is that many of the surviving battlecruisers after the UED commanders were killed went on to become elite Mercenaries in the area. The Goliath mercs I believe are from the UED.

One of the developers also stated that it is highly likely the UED possess very powerful weaponry for their battlecruisers. The reason you never saw any such weapons was because they only sent a small scouting force, probably lightly equipped for harder detection and better movability.

The UED also underwent extreme purification processes to improve the average abilities of its civilians. This is why generals like Alexi were so powerful. It is also possible that virtually everyone possesses psionic powers as Alexi was briefly shown to possess Ghost like abilities in SC1 although that might be a mapping mistake. However a lot of internal power struggled and conflicts mean that the UED is highly disorganized so another fleet might never be sent.

However the focus of SC is not of the UED so much of it will remain a mystery.

Level 2
Are you sure the UED is more advanced than the terrans at the Koprulu? It doesn't make much sense, since the UED is isolated from worlds and the ones at Koprulu sector have access and are closer to protoss and other advancements of technology (see the research in WoL extracted from either zerg or protoss technology).

Also what surprised me was to know that in SC2 UED and Earth still exists. I learned about it when Stukov said he wanted to go back to Earth on the last mission on SKygeirr. I thought the Earth was destroyed by Zerg also during the SC1/Broodwar?

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Are you sure the UED is more advanced than the terrans at the Koprulu?
Yes, the developers stated so.

doesn't make much sense, since the UED is isolated from worlds and the ones at Koprulu sector have access and are closer to protoss and other advancements of technology (see the research in WoL extracted from either zerg or protoss technology).
Tell that to the artificial Hive Mind they constructed in weeks of being in the sector that took control of entire Zerg Hives. Yes they were 100% loyal and the only thing that stopped it was the destruction of the Artificial Hive Mind itself. Basically it was like those pathetic Hive Mind Emulators you have but worked on entire Zerg hives.

Just because they do not have direct access to the Zerg and Protoss does not mean they are not researched. They have tons of data gathered from both in action. You may even find a large amount of trade in such data from the sector that private merchants do (do you think it is not a bit funny that the sector is so isolated? I doubt it is and I suspect a lot of trade still happens with the UED).

Also what surprised me was to know that in SC2 UED and Earth still exists. I learned about it when Stukov said he wanted to go back to Earth on the last mission on SKygeirr. I thought the Earth was destroyed by Zerg also during the SC1/Broodwar?
No, Earth and the inner sectors were not even touched by the Zerg. The entire foundation of the UED was to make sure that cannot happen and that is why they sent out expeditions to the sector to try and take control.

The Zerg are not a universal force, they are actually surprisingly week, especially since the destruction of the Overmind and changing of management system. The combined forces of the Zerg struggled to take down the Dominion, and would have lost if not for Kerrigan's brilliant use of tactics. As it was they struggled to break through the planet's defences and had a time limit before the Dominion main fleets arrived (she sent some of her forces to try and delay them from reaching the planet). Combined with the fact that a considerable amount of the Dominion defected to Prince Valarian (he was commanding a fleet of Battlecruisers, not just the Hyperion as that was being used as his flagship). You can see how weak the Zerg actually are.

The problem is the Zerg have the potential to become a very dangerous fighting force, not that they currently are. Amon knows of this potential which is why they would make great cannon-fodder troops when his Hybrid do the work and how he managed to destroy all the Terrans and everything if Kerrigan was to have been killed. The key here is that the Hybrid were involved, which possess power far beyond anything imagined.

Level 5
man but they lost their top dudes stukoiv and dugalle, they were like their best commanders... plus they were easily manipulated by durin (who i think is that guy narod) so i don't think the ued is that good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
man but they lost their top dudes stukoiv and dugalle, they were like their best commanders...
They were good commanders, but it is not known if they were the best. They were specifically chosen for their research they did on tactics the Zerg used, not particularly because they were the best commanders.

plus they were easily manipulated by durin (who i think is that guy narod) so i don't think the ued is that good
Narud and Duran are the same people. He is an Ancient Shape Shifter that is absolutely loyal to Amon. It is highly likely that Narud/Duran was an artificial servant of his, not some special race of creatures.

Amon is not just smart, but smart and powerful. He was the creator of the Zerg Overmind and, until Kerrigan fused with the Primal Essence to clean the Zerg Swarm, had ultimate control over the Zerg Swarm. It is highly likely he also was involved in the demise of other Xel Naga. Combined with his huge faction of loyal Protoss and Void powers he is highly likely to be stronger than any single faction.

As it is, his Hybrid can 1:1 Primal Kerrigan's Psionic capabilities, killing her if exposed to them for more than a few minutes.

Level 2
This can be speculated, what if Duran is another shapeshifter? Who said that Amon created just one. I think someone offered this on the sc2 eu forums but it is possible.

But I like some things you said about UED, I am not a lore maniac to know the details but whatever I do, I make sure it complies with the current storyline e.g I would not use people who are dead, as they are dead for me per the campaigns.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
That was probably me, I've been warning about this ever since people went «YE BLIZZ UR SO SMART DURAN BACKWARDS».

I reckon the ending of LotV is gonna be Kerrigan nearly pawning Amon and then... ZAP, Duran the First appears and slashes Kerrigan. Then he picks up Amon's face and it's TFT all over again, long live Warcraft.

Status
Not open for further replies.