1. Are you planning to upload your awesome map to Hive? Please review the rules here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  10. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

SMotA v1.00

Submitted by nargaque
This bundle is marked as approved. It works and satisfies the submission rules.
Sacred Masters of the Arctic is an AoS that focuses on the balance, coherency, themes, and uniqueness of heroes. Its hero count currently stands at 110.

Changelogs: http://smotamap.blogspot.com/

Note: Yes, there were versions v0.01, v0.02, v0.03, v0.03b, etc.

Keywords:
SMotA, AoS, nargaque, TheImmortalOne
Contents

SMotA v1.00 (Map)

Reviews
Heero: Well, the map is based on Dota, altough some alternatives what makes it fun to play.
  1. plug

plug

Resources:
    Resources:
    ya i agree, the revive times are faaar to short, making this game last for hours (2 hours +), plus most of the time we are going up and down the middle lane because the towers in the bases are incredibily strong xD.

2. DarkNeo

DarkNeo

Resources:
    Resources:
    Good work so far

Fun map to play, if people would try something besides dota(people might like dota a little more if it didn't get hosted so much or rave). I think the penalty for gold is way too much, even at 900ish because that player could get behind in items and forever fail. The heroes themselves are pretty good but people complain about riggedness because they always compare every aos to dota, rather than thinking the aos as a unique. I love the fact that you can take over outposts and have more creep spawns + teleports, you might want to add more towers or make the current tower stronger at the outposts, because taking them over is easy. Keep up the good work, and like any game, there is always something to be balanced. Yes, that includes dota.:thumbs_up:

3. Nekrowizard

Nekrowizard

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    When you decided to name the map, I guess you didn't have particular name in mind, so you just made it dota esque?
    Considering how close the layout, gameplay and name is to dota, couldn't this map be considered a (albeit well made) dota copy/ripoff?

*Note: I'm not here to bash the map cause I'm a dota fanboy. I like neither dota, nor any of it's variations*

Last edited: Aug 4, 2008
  4. worms577

worms577

Resources:
    Resources:
    It's really the best AoS I've never play. good job, really.
    5/5

5. Wildream

Wildream

Resources:
    Resources:
    Regeneration items are less desired since transportation has never been so convenience, you can just travel around the map in seconds with those teleporters. Somemore the fountain HP regen rate is too fast, you can see a red HP foe returning to backstab you with full HP/MP bar in 15seconds, that makes harassing useless. Sad for early game heroes cause that should be their advantage.

6. TKF

TKF

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Maybe make control points/control stations like in BT which can be captured? Which is also the teleport stations!

Maybe a stupid suggestion... At least this is tactical points which reduced the very long gametime

7. TheImmortalOne

TheImmortalOne

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Maybe if you played the game at least once you would know that outposts ("teleport stations") are traded back and forth between teams throughout the game.

8. Wildream

Wildream

Resources:
    Resources:
    Many heroes don't have attack sounds, it makes players lack the feel when using them. Also why don't you normalize melee heroes attack range to be slightly further than melee creeps? Such as if melee creeps ATK range = 100, you make melee heroes one 125? So that heroes won't easily attract tower aggro when they're ATK-ing it.

p/s When will the forums be up? :)

9. Akingboy

Akingboy

Resources:
    Resources:
    I think the gold loss on death is too high since its annoying to die and notice you got 0 gold.
    I think its only problem at early game.

And heroes could be less fragile early game or atleast reduce heroes damage early game.
    Its really easy to kill someone early.

About balance: Bandit hero is really bad... it can't kill a thing. Skills dmgs are way too low. They need to be atleast doubled I think. And hook is really buggy :p Try to make it like in pudge wars pudge has. Now it just goes straight through everything.
    Warlocks ultimate seems to do too much dmg. He has already other good dmg spells and then the ulti...

And one guy in my game sayd items are too imba. They might be. Maybe make them less overpowered? =) Dunno

Also one guy complained he didn't get money when he sold left players items. Maybe make shared gold for items when someone leaves?

Last edited: Aug 7, 2008
  10. Fender_Player

Fender_Player

Resources:
    Resources:
    SMotA> DOTA.
    enough said

11. Perzion

Perzion

Resources:
    Resources:
    I still can't find the secret shop, please help me >_>

12. TheImmortalOne

TheImmortalOne

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Did you read through this entire thread? There are lots of good hints.

Here is another less helpful hint: I like cheese!

Good luck finding the secret shop!

13. Perzion

Perzion

Resources:
    Resources:
    I found it 2 sec after I wrote the other message, lol :).

Btw, come to Clan xNAx on Northrend if you want SMotA games.
    I and a couple of friends are always up for SMotA :).

(Ninja)Fladfisk is the host)

14. Akingboy

Akingboy

Resources:
    Resources:
    Nice patch! You made bandit much better! Thank you.

Could it be possible to slow all heroes starting movements speed by 10-20%?
    Even lvl 1 hero is really fast usually.
    EDIT: Actually now that I think I guess its just fine :) But early game ranged heroes have really easy time taking hp off from enemy.

And someone said that dragonhawk is imba. Sheep + shackle + cloud :p I think so too. If there are teammates with him its really ownage

Last edited: Aug 21, 2008
  15. SlayerII

SlayerII

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    terein like dota

the terrein looks exactly like dota:eekani:
    cant you make it a bit different? like one base on the north-east corner and the other in the south-west corner?:ugly:
    or you make a really new terrain... would be something new in the AoS games...

16. Akingboy

Akingboy

Resources:
    Resources:
    Yeah new terrain is good IDEA but making it is HUGE job!
    I don't much like the terrain either. Maybe change the template for a change? :)

17. Perzion

Perzion

Resources:
    Resources:
    At the moment, I feel like Disease Bringer is overpowered, the same thing about Grunt.
    Grunt with critical strike item just crit me for 1000 today :p.

18. Akingboy

Akingboy

Resources:
    Resources:
    Everyone complain about hero being overpowered.
    It happens really a lot!

What I think would be easier is to make weak heroes more powerful than making 90% of the "overpowered" heroes less overpowered :p
    But perzion: The map is actally really balanced. Its just about skill and items will you be "overpowered". Since many items are really strong. Its just getting the correct ones to you and you will be much better and won't get owned by those "overpowered" heroes. Stats are really important. Think 1 str = 21 hp. Then 10 str = 210 hp which is a lot! So get stats. Atleast str ;)

BTW, could bandits gold steal ability be like 10 gold per 0.2 second since its kinda annoying if you stun for 1.75 of 2.5 seconds and you get only the 50 gold or <1 second and you don't get gold at all?
    And still dazing orb doesn't work!!
    EDIT: Oh sry wrong alarm I was demolitionist hero :(

And I got hero skill suggestion if there isn't this kinda already:
    A long range bomb that takes really long time to come down. It would have nice dmg but is easily dodged. Or then make some archer hero have longbow skill that it can shoot to the other side of the map and has to hit exactly at the right spot to do instant kill. Ofc the arrow isn't super fast so that it won't be too easy.

And item suggestions is that add more early game recipes. Atm only thing you can get early is stats. It would be more fun with lots of early game recipe items. Like in dota there are level 1-3 shops for early game. In smota feels like there are only 3-5 shops

and there is bug with -ar that people might end up to other side for 0.3 seconds and die. 3 people died in my -ar game just when heroes were picked

Last edited: Aug 22, 2008
  19. TheImmortalOne

TheImmortalOne

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
  20. nargaque

nargaque

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Akingboy:

The Bandit's gold steal is continuous, so a 2.5 sec stun would steal more than a 2.25, which would in turn beat a 2, etc.

"A long range bomb that takes really long time to come down..." - Try the Ghost :). Its Nuclear Launch isn't quite long range, but it does devastating aoe damage.

AGH. I'll release a .92b later today to fix the -ar problem. Thanks for reporting it.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2008