Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Skull Mage

Submitted by -Grendel
This bundle is marked as approved. It works and satisfies the submission rules.
well, this is supposed to be an update for my skull warlock model that i forgot to update. silly me.
remember to give credits pls.

Keywords:
skull, rapier, mage, magic
Contents

Skull Mage (Model)

Reviews
General Frank:The head is very small compared to the rest of the model. Make it bigger. General Frank: Model works in-game and performs well. Nice idea and good execution. Approved.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moderation: 10:19, 29th January 2011
    General Frank:The head is very small compared to the rest of the model. Make it bigger.

Moderation: 15:59, 29th January 2011
    General Frank:
    Model works in-game and performs well. Nice idea and good execution.
    Approved.

2. -Grendel

-Grendel

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    ~UPDATE:
    made the head bigger

3. Alagremm

Alagremm

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Lulzy! =D
    His head is awesome

However the sword thingy looks waaaaaaaay too big.

4. -Grendel

-Grendel

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    well i intended it to be big :p

5. Alagremm

Alagremm

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    I know, but it looks really weird.

6. Kalidroms

Kalidroms

Resources:
    Resources:
    Looks fine to me, love the sword and the look of the back piece to match.

7. kanodoom

kanodoom

Resources:
    Resources:
    What can i say, this model is extremely awesome! I'll give you a credit, Ampharos! 5/5

8. Ganondorf

Ganondorf

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Anathomically this one's your best work... I dislike that back part though, and the arms are a lil' too short.

9. MrSN99

MrSN99

Resources:
    Resources:
    Oh my god!Its AWESOME 10/5

10. nickel510

nickel510

Resources:
    Resources:
    IMO, the sword thingy is awesome.

Exaggerated features makes it easier to see from a top down view I think.

Great great model, portrait is fine (but in wc3 viewer its broken, but in-game its perfect). Using the sentinel as a base was a brilliant choice, its very fitting.

I really think this is one of your better models, I really like the file size (for 50kb it looks awesome) and I'm digging the big weapon, and the shield is a nice size (but in-game its hard to see from an angle because it has no width).

I think you're getting close to making models that are perfect for Wc3 maps, but there are some issues I have with this model. I've taken some screenshots to illustrate my points.
    Skeleton model comparisons.jpg

As you can see, in-game (except for the close-up) the Skull Mage is harder to distinguish. By this I mean its hard to see all his features, all his of his 'personality'. It gets worse the further the camera goes out (I used a camera distance of 2500 for the second screenshot, many games, like WoW Risk use a cam distance of 3500 or something similar, thats why I made the second screenshot) the same goes for if you shrink the model, obviously.

Even compared to the sentinel the Skull Mage seems less defined. I'm not sure why this is, but still comparing the Skull Mage to the sentinel, I have a few ideas why the sentinel might be more distinct from a top down view then the SKull Mage is.

What I think should be modified:
    • First, the sentinel uses only 3 colors, I believe the Skull Mage uses 7 if I counted correctly.
    • Second, you removed the shoulder pads and hair (for obvious reasons) which were kind of standout features of the sentinel in-game.
    • Third, looking at the close-up screenshot, you'll notice the Skull Mage is darker then the sentinel. In fact, the skeleton warrior is quite bright, shining almost, this might help to give skeletons a more distinct look I don't know.
    • Fourth, all of the Skull Mage's features are tiny and hard to make out from a top-down view, and especially a zoomed out view. The only exception is the shield and, to a lesser degree, the weapon. I say this because while the first part of the weapon is easy to see and very cool, the spike part of the weapon is thin and, again, hard to make out.

How to improve (in my opinion):
    • First, lower the color count. Also, use a sharp, bright and easy to see color for outlining the armor (notice for example that the skeleton warriors armor is outlined by a gold that is brighter then the Skull Mage's, the sentinel's armor is another example).
    • Second, make his head bigger, maybe re-add a shoulder pad or two (I think looking at Blizzard's sentinel and asking 'How did they make it work?' might help you).
    • Third, make him brighter, make his armor brighter, look at the skeleton warrior for a good example.
    • Fourth, make that weapon bigger! The spike part is too thin, the other half, I think, is perfect.

Sorry this post is so long and sorry if I wasn't as helpful as I intended it to be. I think you are one of the best modellers the hive has right now Ampharos. This model has tons of great points, the portrait looks perfect, you really know what models to use as a base (sentinel was a great choice), the design is pretty epic, I like your use of armor and the placement of it (I just think it needs to be more visible in-game). You also do a fantastic job at making weapons and armor, I've noticed that with every model you've made that I can remember (the fel guards, calcium behemoth etc). You also do an excellent job of making your models unique, not just copy-cats, they really feel like a new unit, an upgraded unit etc.

KEEP IT UP AMPHAROS!! I'm loving it every time I click on models and see a new one created by Ampharos_222 :).

ATM I give it a 4/5, but if you make this model more distinct from a top-down view, I'll change it to 5/5 :).

Last edited: Jan 30, 2011
  11. APproject

APproject

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    The only thing that would be familiar to a mage is that blue stone. Model doesn't look like mage or anything close to it to me. :<

12. Zealon

Zealon

Resources:
    Resources:
    Sweet another skeleton :D
    It looks awesome, keep it up.

13. Ganondorf

Ganondorf

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Holy fuck, it must have taken a lot of time to write all that.

14. nickel510

nickel510

Resources:
    Resources:
    :"( and I don't think Ampharos even read it lol, idk if anyone has, I was just trying to give a good review, "5/5 awesome!!" is just spam in my opinion.

15. cavite000

cavite000

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Good! You're the best on skeleton mods! (i wish they could talk on their portraits) 5/5

16. Ganondorf

Ganondorf

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    No, no, it's just great to see more people do some reviews on something. It's nice.

17. nickel510

nickel510

Resources:
    Resources:
    Fair enough! I just wish there were more of 'em (but they are time consuming!) :)

But '5/5 awesome!!' has it's own merit too I suppose.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.