• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Site having server issues?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 39
As of maybe 2 weeks ago the site has been on/off loading extremely slowly for me. This occurs in different browsers (FF, Chrome, IE) and on mobile (iOS Chrome/Safari). I notice it especially with embedded image attachments where the rest of the page will load (slowly) and the images will take 2-5 minutes to finish. There are times where I cannot open more than one tab to the site at a time because it will time out before either loads anything; while this is occurring other sites load normally. Other times I can access everything without noticing any issues.

As of time of posting I'm in a 'slow load' period. Anyone else experiencing this? Since it's browser-independent and other sites are unaffected it seems like a site server/service issue.

That might be your answer as @Ralle pointed out in another one of these same topic threads.
I'm unable to find it, but I don't see how ad blockers can slow down the website occasionally? They block an element that would otherwise need to be loaded, which should effectively increase loading times.

Lol, @Pyrogasm opened that one too.

Anyways, here @chuckySTAR wrote that ad blockers should not be the cause of this and has shown something else to be the issue:
Site Laggy/Hangs in Firefox
That is a different kind of lag though. I don't experience that. I get slow loading times regularly, with maybe 10 minute intervals.

I know that it's not my internet connection or location as it doesn't happen to any other websites, and Hive uses Cloudflare which is a global CDN with datacenters near me. It is most probably a hardware overload issue on the server which throttles traffic, or bandwidth limitations.

pyf

pyf

Level 32
The problem is, some people may upload very big image attachments, which may require some time to load. If such an image can not be fully loaded within a specific time frame, then it is not stored locally in the cache, and one has to reload the page again, sometimes multiple times.

I would encourage people to optimize their images before uploading them on THW. Especially those ingame screenshots at insane resolutions. I personally use IrfanView for that.

For the record, I personally use TrafficMonitor for easy monitoring of bandwidth/cpu/memory usage in real time.
zhongyang219/TrafficMonitor
(has the English language also built-in)

[...] I notice it especially with embedded image attachments where the rest of the page will load (slowly) and the images will take 2-5 minutes to finish. [...]
Example page please?

Last edited:
Example page please?
@Mythic's resource tab :p

If there are a million images to download to the cache it will ultimately time out, but the lag happens sometimes at pages with no images. For example when checking alerts the alerts drop down can load for 10-20 seconds before the alerts actually shows up. It is universal on the whole site, it just times out / throttles all bandwidth for 10-20 seconds.

pyf

pyf

Level 32
@Mythic's resource tab :p
Tested with Pale Moon 28.8.0 (64-bit), with a download speed of 54 KB/s. Location: France.
Notable extensions used: Decentraleyes (fetches some CDN contents from a local copy), Imagus (full preemptive preloading of images activated) and Greedy Cache (that one, enforcing the caching of images and the loading of internet resources from the browser's cache)

The images on Mythic's resource tab load in sequential order, until we reach Runic Rocket. No further image is loaded at that point. Now, because the page includes animated pictures, the browser then struggles to complete the loading of said animated pictures (because of the poor dl speed). During that time, the other pages of the site from other tabs may be slow to respond if one tries to load them. Hovering for new averts may fail, and loading the list of new alerts in a new tab may completely fail, because of a timeout. Manually reloading said tab is always successful (but may take only a little bit of time), all the while the tab with all the animated pictures is still active and struggling (again, because of the poor dl speed). Eventually, the browser may indicate that the download of the Resource page is complete, even though TrafficMonitor clearly shows that the browser is still struggling to download those animated pictures.

A CPU from 2013/2014 is not hogged by displaying that many animated pictures (cpu usage should be 40-45% with 12 animated tabs fully loaded). Switching to any other tab brings CPU usage back to a few %.

After the animated pictures up to Runic Rocket have been fully loaded, one has to refresh the tab for the other animated pictures to load. This is expected behavior.

=> no problem with Pale Moon. Works as expected, considering the limited bandwidth (note: public libraries and/or public Wi-Fi are not that great because of that).

I can confirm the loading issues of this site too, happening to me for weeks now just like what's mentioned above. Everything loads slow but once everything is cached to the browser it loads this website faster, but still kinda slow compared to other websites. I was about to report this thing but looks like it's now a discussion here.

My location: Southeast Asia (If in case my location is an issue).
Browser: Chrome (both in Android mobile and Windows desktop).

Level 24
I've been getting this error message every 5 minutes for the past two days, what's going wrong with the site?
(Kek, even typing this message now I've ran into the message again...)
issues.png

pyf

pyf

Level 32
Level 24
@pyf I went through numerous guides on why a single site was giving me issues, I still don't know what happened.
- contacted two friends in my area to check the site - Working
- tried alternatives to chrome, firefox/internetexplorer - Not Working
- tried Tor, - Working

and now this morning the site is working fine... I'm so god damn confused.

Status
Not open for further replies.