• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Single Target Spell for Multiple Units

Level 22
If you decide to add that kind of detail to the tutorial (one dummy caster for all), discuss also that channeled abilities (that is not instant, e.g. Blizzard) can't be used with it, since it requires the dummy to follow through the channeling time.

Also, a one dummy policy would be good for map makers, since they have control of all the stuff, so better address these guys. Spell makers should follow a different standard (they should work with a plug-in dummy handler system).

You could also discuss something about ability preloading (If you haven't touched that issue yet that is). It makes the first use of the dummy abilities smoother.

Level 20
^ Preloading means you will like initialize all of objects you use so it will not lag in the first cast.

like:
Event - Map Initialization or Time Elapsed 0.00.
Giving a dummy unit an ability
and preloading effects like spawning effects in the center of the playable area.
There's much more.

Level 29
i don't know anything about pre-load =.='

take a look at the preloading chapter in my tutorial. You can suggest that they look at that chapter in my tutorial since you already have my tutorial linked.

If you decide to add that kind of detail to the tutorial (one dummy caster for all), discuss also that channeled abilities (that is not instant, e.g. Blizzard) can't be used with it, since it requires the dummy to follow through the channeling time.

This is not entirely true. Normally in a custom spell you use timers or whatever to add effects and do damage. Since you do that all you need to do is order the dummy unit to cast the spell then move it to next location and cast it there. Don't forget 0.03 moves about as fast as you can see. That means the effects will look like its multiple dummies but only require one dummy.
That being said it is possible but with a spell like blizzard it is not recommended. In this case create a dummy for each spell instance.

Level 22
This is not entirely true.
It's true, you offered a solution to the problem caused by the channeling though.

Since you do that all you need to do is order the dummy unit to cast the spell then move it to next location and cast it there. Don't forget 0.03 moves about as fast as you can see. That means the effects will look like its multiple dummies but only require one dummy.

This could be added to the tutorial as an alternative solution to the problem, but this wasn't my point. This is a brilliant solution though.

That being said it is possible but with a spell like blizzard it is not recommended. In this case create a dummy for each spell instance.

This is what I was trying to say in the first place... My point was to tell the reader of this tutorial that.

Level 2
Well, I know this is kinda old thread, but this is exactly what I need. Anyway I ran into a problem, I wanted to make aoe Root via summoning dummy and casting entangling roots around him, even there is no problem make it cast around a dummy it targets only one enemy and then do nothing, even I got everything in trigger same as you (excluding the comments and different location of cast). Don't you have any idea why it doesn't work? Thanks in advance.

Level 2
@Aeron95 mind if you attach a test map? That's quite an interesting case actually.

Does casting time and cooldown all set to 0? Try adding expiration timer to 2 second and see if it make difference?

Actually, I figured it out, I had some wrong parts because I use WE in other language than English so there was a little misunderstanding, still thx for replying and sorry for wasting your time.