• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Single-Player Bossfights

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
We have 13 bosses in the thread, but there may be mini-bosses inbetween. A nice idea, but the ogre should probably have a rest move if he is so tired, and he can heal that way.
Newbie = + rep

When he rests, he immidiatly gets back his mana, it just acts like a sleep spell on him so the player can go, kill the catapult-controlling ogre, then use the catapult to fire at the ogre, dealing actual damage at it. So basically, his mana is his energy :).

So classic. You have to run away and/or dodge the boss and after some time he needs to rest and then you hit him.

Yeah, its a bit classic, but so is the generator thing where you have to destroy generators to damage a boss. This is a bit different due to the fact that you CAN NOT use ur physical attacks as damage, for it will have almost no effect on him, yet he can hurt you real bad with his physical attacks. So you use a ballista to launch something at him, that way he can be hurt.

Level 36
This is going to be a bossfight in my map. It's meant for 6 players, but I figured it was somewhat related so I'll post it anyways.

The boss is a giant Wind Elemental, and the event happens in a circular cave with an open roof and hawks flying around at the top of the cave.

One of his moves is to throw 5 of the 6 heroes up into the air and they then get attacked by the birds until the remaining hero disrupts the boss' channeling by doing a certain amount of damage.

Level 14
This is going to be a bossfight in my map. It's meant for 6 players, but I figured it was somewhat related so I'll post it anyways.

The boss is a giant Wind Elemental, and the event happens in a circular cave with an open roof and hawks flying around at the top of the cave.

One of his moves is to throw 5 of the 6 heroes up into the air and they then get attacked by the birds until the remaining hero disrupts the boss' channeling by doing a certain amount of damage.

Fantastic, it forces all players to be active in the fight, even if they are new!

~Asomath

Level 3
I suppose in some ways the boss-fights themselves will depend on the type of game-play expected in the rest of the game. For example, if the player ends up controlling multiple units, then that must be accounted for, as multitasking several units at once can be quite challenging enough as it is.

Controlling only one unit makes boss-fights not only easier to script but a little more interactive. Since the player can interact with the boss and his environment, and vice versa.

If you do want boss-fights to be single-unit-only, there are some ways to keep the multiple controlled characters in the game without using them against the bosses. One way to force the player to fight bosses with a single unit is via some plot-induced mechanism. For example, as the player progresses through a dungeon, one-by-one the secondary characters are removed from his control (falling victims to traps, becoming separated from the group, being attacked and taken away, etc.) until only the player's main character is left to fight the boss, freeing the others.

Another easy way to single-out one character is to have a stopping point, where one character must enter an area only he/she can reach (a small hole, a ledge, etc.), while the others wait for them to find another way in. During that time, the player can fight the boss and discover another entrance of some sort.

In this way, you could essentially have boss-fights with each of the player-controlled characters one-by-one, which provides a nice dynamic in the game-play, and also allows the characters to develop in the story. For example, if you have four characters with different attributes, you can have four boss-fights that will emphasize those attributes.

Even if you don't have multiple characters, you can use some of these elements to liven up the story-telling aspect of the game.

One aspect of boss-fights to keep in mind is having a multi-staged fight (i.e. not just hacking away at the boss). This way, the player has to adopt a number of different techniques to fight the boss. This is also how you can use environment effectively. I will give some really basic examples:

Boss 1 (2-stage fight):
The player enters a large chamber filled with numerous columns. At the far end of the chamber is the boss. The boss begins sending attacks at the player which travel in a straight line until they hit something. In order for the player to get within range of the boss, they must advance through the chamber, hiding behind the columns to avoid getting hit. Each column can only take 2-3 hits before it is destroyed. If the player is hit by one of the boss' attacks, he will take some damage and be knocked back. Once the player gets close enough the boss comes forward and they can fight normally.

Boss 2 (3-stage fight):
The player enters an area with a large megalith structure in the center, surrounded by five smaller obelisks in a ring around it. On top of the structure is a winged boss (giant demon-bird, dragon, what have you). The boss begins sending different attacks at the player (which need warnings), forcing the player to move around the area to avoid being damaged. However, there are brief reprieves between some attacks when the boss is recharging. During this time, the player must attack the megalith. After several runs through this process, the megalith will be destroyed, sending the boss into the air.

The boss begins more attacks from the air which the player must avoid. Occasionally, the boss will move closer to the player to attack, allowing the player to ensnare it, making it drop to the ground. At this point the player must run in and do as much damage as possible to it before it breaks free. After a sufficient amount of damage is rendered, the player receives a small glyph. The player must then run to one of the surrounding obelisks and activate it with the glyph. This process must be duplicated until all the surrounding obelisks are activated. When this is done, they spark with energy, and cause a lightning bolt to hit the boss. This knocks it to the ground, and it can no longer fly.

The last stage could be either a standard fight, or require the player to use the obelisks again to damage the boss. Or both at the same time.

Lastly, I'd like to mention that the player doesn't necessarily have to kill the boss to make a great encounter. Sometimes, just getting away is reward enough. :wink:

Level 15
don't show those wrds to blizz... or they will make long-expected "Ask boss nicely, and he will give u teh purplz"

Level 12
Off-Topic
The mystery of the DL pansy....
The whole time my demos have been here (crappy crappy demos indeed) the first one only had 7 views and the last one had 8 views. This caused my head to spin, thinking "Who could commit such a crime?"
Until yesterday, it remained that way.
Now they are at 8 and 8.
Whos is the DL pansy?

Level 9
On topic:
Here's a boss idea by me.

Summoned Daemon Boss.
A powerful lich/wizard or anything starts to summon a powerful demon from the inferno hoping to be blessed with immortality or sth. Now the bossfight:

The hero/es enter a room where the mage is transforming from normal to the ethereal world(that's for the sfx) and his apprentices channel the summon. The heroes then have to kill the summoners. There is a timer. Each killed wizard will add several seconds to the timer. If the heroes manage to kill all apprentices before the timer finishes. Then they have to fights the angry wizard. He have dark spells. If they fail the wizard turns into a demon and they have to fight him.
The demon fight should be harder.
Optional: the demon fight may be altered - the heroes have to weaken the demon while he is still not immortal and send him back to the underworld. That may include a minigame where some players must fight the demon while the others play the minigame in order to open a portal that will suck the demon into the inferno.

Level 19
In my map Im not talking about Boss Fights.
I'm talking about Events.

Usually the events are about killing a boss, but who says this is always the thing?:D

Just wanted to share this with you:D

Level 8
Hey guys, can I help you with your project? Im a jasser. Not so good, but i can make a decent knockback spell.

About the bossfight, I have an idea.
The boss should be a giant mage, or a giant elemental.
His room should have 4 smaller elemental's in the corners and him in the center. The minions can't be attacked and can't attack. Every 30 seconds, the boss starts channeling somethin, giving 1 minion power and making it attackable and able to attack. If he finishes before the hero kills the minion (killed minions respawn right after they're killed but can't be attacked and can't attack), that minion becomes ZOMGULTRAMEGASUPEROVERPOWERED and slauthers the hero and his pet or whatever he has.
Also, every 15 seconds, the boss casts a spell that deals damage depending on the distance between him and the hero. But 1 or 2 seconds before he casts it, he says something (play a sound) and make a floating text above him saying that he's casting it.

Got the idea from WoW :grin:

EDIT:Oh and the minions grow bigger while channels the spell. Not all of them ofc.

Last edited:
Level 13
Well, start of by a nice cinematic. Thats always good ;D

Make sure they can make minions. Its always good, and if you are a no healer, and you cant leave the boss area, to go buy pots, make sure the minions drop pots, or some healing runes.
Make the boss strong/weak vs. Different types of elements. (ice sword, fire axe etc.) But dont make this count too much, so you can pwn him too easy. He's a boss afterall.
Spells are important. Minimum 3 spells per boss. Good if they are triggered.
Environment. It could be some egeneraters for shields yes, or you would have to move to some special terrain tiles, when he cast a special spell. You can maybe get him under a weak wall, and destroy it so he will loose hp faster, than if you just was hitting on him with your sword.
Bridges can be destroyed to make him fall etc etc.

When its single player, make sure its some VERY special arenas. For instance, if you are in an ice world with mountains. You could make a vulcano in that area, as one of the boss arenas. Then you fight INSIDE the vulcano, on some bridges. Make some cool effects too, like rocks falling down, lava comming from below etc.

I might add some more later. But gtg now XD

Level 12
Destroyer, click the link in my sig.
Nice ideas by both of ya.
Cinematics are GENUINE in single player. It basically bad without em.
I like the bridge thing.
3 Spells isn't always enough for a fight. If you see some of the stuff in Sanity's Edge, we got WAY more than 3 spells, and they are all triggered.
Boss battles occur in a thing we call stages. One simple part is not always fun, especially if it just loops over and over. WE often strive to leave the somple area, and move to different parts. It creates more confusion, and can increase difficulty greatly (If it gets smaller maybe or something.
I have a feeling I could creates some thing cool with Ice Bridges, Icicles (Big ones above the bridges.) and throwing stuff. (Pickup projectiles.)
I'll keep that in mind.

Level 12
If you still need boss ideas, here is 1:

Trazalar the Poison Lord

Description: Trazalar was the first of its kind, not much is known about him, he was last seen in a cave wich shortly collapsed after.

As soon you get to the place where Trazalar is, he teleports in the middle of the room and casts a poison nova, causing your hero to lose HP over time (obviously). Once you are poisoned, he will attack with different weapons (bow/sword/spear/etc) wich causes non-poisnous damage (normal attacks pretty much) until your poison effect is gone. Every time your poison effect is gone, Trazalar will either cast a poison nova, poison bolt or Poisonous Gas (the room will be filled with poisonous gas).

After he loses to 50% hp, he will fall down (like dying). After a moment, he will start to float and then turns to a huge snake. During this form, he mostly just bites you (causing extremely poisonous damage). He can spit poisonous...goo?...aswell and Devour you, making you fight him inside his stomach (there is something you must kill while inside, while losing HP over time). When he dies, the roof will collapse and you must hurry out of the room.

When you leave the room, the floor will collapse under you and you fall to a place where is Trazalar's most precious items (for warrior/range/mage class). There are 3 obelisk-sort of things holding the items, but it seems that 2 of them are magically sealed while 1 is free to pic, depending what class hero you are.

Loot:
The Poison Sword
Description: A very poisonous sword.
Effect: +30 dmg, +30 str and Poison Attack.
Ability: Poison Malformation: Causes the sword to attack afar (like a spear), costs <insertammounthere> mana.

Dark Poison Bow
Description: This bow can magically make your arrows deal poison damage.
Effect: +30 dmg, +30 agi and Poisoned Arrows
Ability: Dark Poison Arrow: Overloads the arrow with poison, making it pierce enemies.

Trazalar's Staff
Description: Staff once worn by Trazalar the Poison Lord.
Effect: +30 damage, +30 int and Poison Bolts.
Ability: Poison Nova: Causes everyone in 800 AoE be poisoned.

Level 3
Bump.

So, boss ideas! I havent read everything in this thread, so probably will repeat something already mentioned.

Btw, being WoW-player, I have to say that many fights in that game contains really epic fights that SHOULD be made in wc3, singleplayer or multiplayer, whatever ^^.

I have done several boss fights myself, or at least, tried(not very good map-maker...).

Most simplest one has been an Bandit Lord, that uses Warstomp 3 times during the fight. At 75%, 50% and 25% of his HP. Boss stops, and there's a notice that boss casts a warstomp, move! During this time, gamespeed is slowed down to slowest, just for the effect. Player has to move away from the boss to not get crushed.

My second boss fight is simple too, but way more interesting.
Fight begins with several npc units fighting minions that boss calls, and hero's duty is to fight the boss. Boss hits hard but slowly, to give time to react with potion chugging and other actions. When boss reaches 75, 50 and 25% of his HP, he gets shield that makes him invulnerable, but his movement speed is slowed by 50%. Shield is casted by special minion, that spawns to one of the two locations. Player needs to kill that minion to be able to attack the boss again.

To prevent impossible odds situation, there's barrels around the boss area in these fights that contain healing runes, to help in extreme need, but they're limited.

They're very simple fights, mostly only because I cant make anything more complicated. But I have lot of ideas in reserve...

Level 3
I've played Dungeons and Dragons and this is one of my boss battles. It was designed in mind for 4 players but I've edited it so hopefully it should be completed by one.

The general theme of this is storm elementals.

The battle starts with 3-4 storm elemental guards with the following abilities:
sonic boom - deals sonic damage in an area and stuns [think warstomp] but also heals nearby elementals
crack of thunder - deals lightning damage in a line and knocks back, also healing elementals hit [think shockwave]

So the main way to kill these is using burst damage on them one at a time as slow damage will result in them healing it back.

there is also (further back from all this combat) one massive boss elemental who is being shackled. (the whole area is actually a prison for this one elemental but the other elementals are gonna bust him out). The boss elemental is struggling to break free while 2 elemental shamans one on either side of the big boss are also trying to break the bonds. However, as they do this they cause damage to the boss. When the boss reaches 50%hp the shackles are broken and he ends up joining the battle.

The boss has stronger versions of the above abilities as well as some more abilities described below. At this point the player should have killed the 4 elementals from the start. The 2 elemental shamans have an ability which zaps an area of ground with lightning healing the elementals. This spell is aimed at the player and has a cast time of about 6 seconds so the player has to attempt to avoid the spell but also to prevent the boss or any other elementals from landing in the area too.

If the player is very efficient in killing the elemental guards and he can go and kill the shamans before the boss is free then the battle becomes much easier for him. He can attack the boss freely until he hits 50% hp at which point the bonds are broken again. He can now kill the boss without fear of the lightning area attack.

boss abilities:
call lightning storm - massive monsoon, also healing him. The player can decide to either take the damage from it but also damage the boss or they can run away and let the boss regen his health.
lightning fury - gives him +100% attack speed, +50% movespeed and 40% evasion.
spawn elemental - he loses 10% of his life and spawns a permanent elemental (same as the elemental guards)

I hope I wrote that well.. it's nearly 3am!

If anyone would like me to elaborate I will gladly do so

EDIT: I just thought of something. The 4 elemental guards from the start could be disguised as pillars of lightning which animate themselves as the hero walks past. Makes it more of an ambush. I personally think it's best to keep the player off his/her guard.

Last edited:
Level 10
Idea:

The boss is the ghost of a mad princess. She cannot be killed. I repeat: CAN'T die, 'cause she's allready dead.

The goal is to convince her that she mustn't be so evil, and that she must leave the place she is haunting. You can cast all regular spells on her, and use all types of attacks, but no ability has the normal effect on her. Every time an ability is cast on her, she changes color a little bit. When she is red, she is fiercest. The key is to find the right ability/spell combination to make her ocean blue, and completely calm. So the player has to experiment with different combos, to see how it affects the ghost.

Does this sound like it could get boring? Remember, the ghost princess can become extremely evil and powerful if the wrong ability combinations are used. It will also be fun to watch her changing demeanour throughout the battle. She might even get friendly in short periods, and heal the hero, and then go back to evil.

Level 12
You always wanna have the player on his toes.
I think the factor of surprise in any bossfight makes it harder. Say you kill him, and he comes back stronger with a few moves.
SURPRISE.
I also think surprise goes slighty hand in hand with randomness.

I hope to create some freaky Aether boss (Aether is the randomness of all reality.) who all he strives for is to introduce to many different situations as possible.

Keep up the good ideas!
I will continue to rep the good ones, as long as I haven't rep you recently (mainly because I can't, and not because I won't.)

Last edited:
Level 9
is this still on?

well good ideas
im gonna tell something

"Little Timmy is walking on the mountaints, one side is the cliff,so timmy stays close to the rock wall oposite of the cliff of course timmy keeps walking on the road and suddenly an explosions destroys one piece of the wall of rocks inmediatly appearing the Rock-efeller! so the fight starts in that very good scenario, the mountain shows down all the city landscape with fog effects, nice view but you must concentrate on rocky man, actually fighting in a very small space is a problem since the boss sometimes pushes you to the cliff, but Timyy has his water gun! and rock guy is weak to water.

so the battle would be: you are on good escenario, the border of a mountain, the surprise factor appears when the rock guy appears from the explosion of the wall, to make it more surprising before he appears there should be no music, and the explosion puts some battle music,so then you must use enviorement to fight too, how? well with timmy watergun skill you push rock guy, or to the cliff (where rock guy grabs from it and jumpes into the fight area again, or into the wall to make some rock fall over him,

resuming you must avoid getting thrown down the cliff by the boss, pushing him with your skills into enviorment hazard, that finally ends up dying, making some cinematic where he falls to the cliff

so thats my boss battle,
what do you think?

bye

The D3ath
Hmmm add some rock slides that timmy has to dodge and some other effectsand boss skills and Cool! it is great that this thread still has not died.

My bossfight:

Psyclade:
Part 1 (Cinimatic)
It is night in a small village. Your hero sits at a small campfire, he is a guard and sits alone at one end of the village. You fall asleep. A coupla secondes later this bluish 'Thing' surrounds you and you enter a 'Dream'. (Camera zooms in on yor head and phases out.) you stand on a black landscape, With psycotic lights and screams in the distance. There is a hudge bluish elemental guy in front of you, And I mean massive.

he says:
Hahahaha! Welcome mortal, to your own nighmares. I am Psyclade! Master of Mreams! Lord of the Mind, and Emperor of Nightmare! Your pitiful mind is no match for mine! watch as you city burns!

Phases back out to the town, evil nightbeasts and other creatures are charging in, killing all of the towsfolk and beating down the weakened guards. the it zooms back in.

Psyclade speaks again to you:
You have been chosen to fight in the games! If you win, you will go free! you can save your pitiful village and live your foolish mortal life. If you fail, nothing will stand between me, and your village, and then the world!

Part 1 end.
Part 2 (gameplay)

Gameplay starts as you wake up in a cell, you are lead to an arena. You enter it. you must beat 4-6 tasks. like a maze, dodging, etc. (i will add later) then after you beat the last one, gates open on all sides of the arena, and you have to survive for like 10-20 waves of tons of enemies.
part 2 end.
part 3 (cinimatic)
(Finish later)

Level 10
Bossfight:
Written in Blood

This bossfight should be implementable in any fantasy context via a small plot twist or a detour.
Boss' Name: Fictio

Intro: A Door
For one reason or another, the hero(es) enter(s) an old library. Entire sections may have collapsed, but some are still intact.
As the hero(es) explore(s) the collossal library halls - books from floor to ceiling - they come across an eerie ward: The middle is illuminated through a gap in the ceiling; a pillar of whirling dust in the light calms as the hero(es) approach. Something moves between the shelves, makes a shuffling sound.
Footsteps then, shadows, and flickering light. Steady first, faster then. The light must be from a bonfire, or perhaps a lamp. Short as a stool comes around a corner, a gnome - lifts a dusty eyebrow. (yeah it's called the Yoda effect, I hope it worked)
The gnome claims to be a librarian. But where are the rest? They're dead - got killed by some "exPLODing jigsaw munstor!"
"Yeah, big fleshy munstor, kips boooomin' all the time :ugly: I can't believe it. Strange things happening. It's like fact and fiction has been all mixed up together in this library.. Well I was actually in the middle of something over here... Better be careful where you step, big guy!" The gnome returns supposedly back to a pile of books.
Funny thing is, if the hero(es) try to look for the gnome now, he has vanished; is nowhere to be found.

Searching the ward further one will almost literally (haha) stumble upon (or rather step on) a book that is so old it falls apart and pages crumble when touched. Underneath it is a pressure plate that when carrying the weight of a human opens an immense gate that for some reason has been blocked and covered by bookshelves. The feeble shelves ofcourse crash down on the hero(es) as this happens.

Recovering from this shock hit one will encounter a black gap which is the entrance to something. Yes, it leads down a pitch black corridor with a mouldy old smell. A cold, eerie breeze licks one's skin with something sticky in the air. "It's called fiction" booms a powerful voice. "Come hither, I shall read it out loud".

Villainography: FICTIO
Who is Fictio? Often encountered in dreams and literature, Fictio takes on himself many different names, appearances, and identities. He claims to be the incarnation of fiction, but scholars do not count that for a fact, since he made his first accounted appearances in literature very recently, and dream encounters cannot really be accounted for in the same scientific manner.

Scholars deny his objective existence, and for more than just that reason, Fictio is not a big fan of scholars.
Fictio will inevitably try to seduce or persuade his enemies, who will burn classical works just to get rid of him, that he is the very definition of fiction, and that with his seize of existence we would all lose our imagination, and our ability to dream. This ofcourse isn't fact, but fiction.

Tricks up Fictio's sleeve:
Dreamy Captivity: Immobilizes; waking nightmares (drains mana)
Fictional Aberrition: Summons random freak of imagination
Archival Trap: Sends the target to a random first letter destination within the labyrinthic library
Shapechange: Has no practical effect, but he does it frequently, often blink teleporting at the same time.
Other Spells: More as one pleases.

Spells Explanation: Within the library, fact and fiction is all mixed up, as the gnome mentioned. Fictio's story elements are real when he wants them to be. That is why he does not make mirror images or illusions, but summons monsters. They're fictional and factual at the same time.
His teleportation spells have to do with him being part of the library, and taking control over every ward. But he cannot teleport himself more than a short distance within sight. I don't know how this should be explained.

The Fight
Fictio can look in any way one likes when first encountered. It might even be random. As Fictio is a shapeshifter and a phase shifter, he is a highly elusive enemy who has not one face but many.
How to kill him? Whenever he takes the form of some defenseless being, like a dog, villager, or something, you can hurt him directly, but that is VERY rare. The rest of the time, you must just kill off his summoned freaks and find a source of fire. You will bump into the gnome at some point. He is dead, and his lamp is still glowing - it stands on top of a pile of books, and can be picked up by a hero. The lamp is useful if the hero has no fire-based spells; it can set certain objects on fire just like a fire-based spell. In this bossfight, some special books need to be burned. These books are hidden throughout the library. But beware, Fictio's monsters tend to be summoned near these books.
When all the books are burned, Fictio has only 1 shape which looks like some gooey ooze. In this shape, he can be hurt directly by anything, and is vulnerable to fire, but is actually more dangerous than before due to more aggressiveness and a acidic attacks. Kill him in this final shape, and it's victory.

Well, there are a few more complications. Fictio will make up new stories over time, meaning his literary works will respawn, as he regenerates life. Each book burned should take away a very large amount of his life, and when the same amount of life is recovered, a book should respawn.

You can include any kinds of traps in the library and be creative with the monsters that Fictio summons.
In the context of my intro story, you could use a "fleshy jigsaw moster that goes boooom" (self-detonating abomination), as the gnome mentioned, or you can just leave it out and rewrite the intro. It was really just an example.
I recommend using 1 dummycaster for all his spells, and let it cast a modified polymorph (edit: Hex) spell on him every time the spell expires, so he will periodically take a new form.

Enjoy playing around with this idea :)

Last edited:
Well, it depends how ur looking at it. Perhaps you have an army behind you? or is it just you? A really tough boss on a group of mostly non-heroes can use aoe moves such as blizzard or target unit or target ground moves like carrion swarm. Now I'm really good at creating bosses effective against armies. Now then there also: HERO ONLY! Which is the case in many RPGs.

If you want one person boss fight do this

perhaps you want big mana-eater boss that eats hero's mana and kills him cause he can't use any moves. He could have mana recoil with pays mana to mana burn the target. mana suckers-sucks mana but returns life. mana bite-bites the enemy and does more potent damage the more mana the hero being faced has.

edit:god I suck at making things interesting

Level 6
Didn't read much past page 2, but single player bosses are usually very basic in how they're done, meaning that it's not complex to do it, with maybe 2 or 3 different things at most to watch out for. There's also usually a short break, or cutscene inbetween hits, where you get the time to ready yourself for repeating or moving on to the next phase.
One example is that when you throw bowser on a bomb in the Mario game on N64, he falls on his back first, giving you time to get ready for grabbing him again.

Twin witches in the Ocarina of Time game is a very good example of a single player bossfight, (if I remember correctly,) where your shield charges with ice or fire , and you then use that to hit the opposite element witch.
This means you have to watch out for 2 things; what witch is going to attack, and you need to be ready to reflect it to the other one.
Further into the bossfight, they merge and you can't simply reflect, but need to charge up 3 charges of the same element, and then release it.

That's all from what I recall, so don't quote me on it, but I hope you got my point.
It's not complex, 2 or 3 things, and include small breaks so the player can get ready for the next attempt.

Level 10
okay so peopel are talking about using the terrain, and reflecting spells etc back buty ho win WC3 can you actually relfect spells back etc.

Also apart from flame strike what pther spell could you use that lets the player know in 2 seconds if you stand there you will die kinda spell!

Level 14
Im getting back into my thread

okay so peopel are talking about using the terrain, and reflecting spells etc back buty ho win WC3 can you actually relfect spells back etc.

Also apart from flame strike what pther spell could you use that lets the player know in 2 seconds if you stand there you will die kinda spell!

Spell reflection and terrain manipulation isnt hard at all. Most of the ideas that have been pitched around are within the grasp of a moderate coder. Ground effects can easily be created and destroyed through a single trigger.

I hope you got my point. It's not complex, 2 or 3 things, and include small breaks so the player can get ready for the next attempt.

Not necessarily so, although I do see your point. Yes, bosses can be simple, and some single-player bosses NEED to be simple to vary game play. Yet, single-player bosses can be VERY complex, maybe not exceeding that of a multi-player boss fight, but with a good idea, can play on par with one. For example, one of the concept bosses I created for Sanities Edge featured 5 phases, and took 2 pages of a word document to explain. If you do ever look back through the pages, you will see that some of the ideas people posted up are also complex. It simply depends on what you want the bosses lore image to be.

~Asomath

Here's one of my ideas which I plan to put in my game(the boss fights get epicer later on although most of the epicness comes from moves of the boss because a player is controlling them)

The point of this boss is that he's a joke by using the lore system you'll find that everything about the boss is pretty much a joke, except his agenda which is kinda strange.

Edwin Armen: Rogue cop turned hero back from the grave

Basically what happens when a boy from a parallel universe finds a mysterious crystal and it creates a parallel copy of him 30 years old then fills in the missing years with a made up backstory.

Moves

Rogue Cop Sweep: A simple war stomp based move with no cooldown doesn't stun just does aoe damage. "It's what I used to hold back squadrons of zombie elites with the other rogue cops in the war of the planets"

Marine Missile: Shoots a basic missile attack 30 second cooldown. "One time I beat this guy in armor to death with a club and took his gun"

Heroishism: Sacrifices 50 life to enrage him for 10 seconds spammable(enrage basically increase attack power and casting speed or something like that) "I'm a rogue turned hero and I'm gonna send you straight to hell"

Back from the Grave A reincarnation move that literally brings Edwin Armen back from the grave 1 hour cooldown. "Dunno how I came back but I did and I'll do it again just as soon as I learn how"

The hero is meant to be played by a person. But whether it's played as a 1 hero vs an army of enemies or 11 people vs an army of enemies, the boss follows the same aspects.
A. Moves are highly spammable and meant to be a quick and fast attacker.
B. Can easily be put at melee range and meant to be right in the heat of battle.
C. The boss is meant to have very little of his prime attribute (which is agility) compared to even some low level bosses meaning that he does low damage but fast damage at any rate.
D. The boss also has very little armor meaning that in order to balance he must have potions in his inventory that restore his health fast enough to stay alive.

If you follow these key aspects when balancing him and playing him you should have a similar character to mine. Although I do condone mixing it up a little as this is just my character.

Level 19
Heya.

I'm making an ORPG with RaiN and this is a little preview movie we posted on our hosted forums. It's about an event that eventually evolves into a bossfight. We got events in our map with 3 or 4 stages. The last stage is always with a boss to beat.
You see me and RaiN playing this event in this movie. He's the dwarf (Rune Warrior) which is the tank and healer here while I'm the Ranger (dps). We had a few little bugs while testing and still had to balance it out but here is a rough video of how this event works:

The 1st part of the event is to kill 40 elfs or dryads.
The 2nd part is to kill 6 ancients within 6minutes (we got it with 10sec left so decided to make this 8min now)
The 3rd part is the bossfight.

The hosted forum discussion about our bossfights is here.

Level 5
Oh, a very good concept. How would you make use of the enviorment? Im thinking perhaps the enviornment could be used to block attacks, or making him destroy one of his own powers (such as a shield) via what surrounds you.

Edit: Yet again, Trillium is able to find a source of relating information. Athough your describing the features, the mechanics of the boss fights themselve are still unclear.

~Asomath
I think a good use of environment to help with a boss fight is to make it so melee chars can get hits in by either waiting for his big chargeup slam, sidestepping and whackin on him as he misses, or running him into firetraps along the wall/floor. Maybe pulling him against a wall where if he swings he'll bring the roof down on him, dealing a big chunk of damage and stunning him?

Status
Not open for further replies.