1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. We have recently started the 16th edition of the Mini Mapping Contest. The theme is mini RPG. Do check it out and have fun.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
  5. The Highway to Hell has been laid open. Come along and participate in the 5th Special Effect Contest.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Silly things to do with Pheonix self-revival?

Discussion in 'Idea Factory' started by Banelingline, Mar 5, 2018.

1. Banelingline

Banelingline

Resources:
    Resources:
    The way the upgrade works is it specifies the original ability and the new ability, so by specifying only one ability the Hero actually has, it only upgrades one ability. Quickly checking the editor, it's hardcoded to always specify four abilities to change at each level. You don't actually have to have it be versions of the same ability, by the way, you can easily have it turn Animate Dead into Robo-Goblin or whatever.

A quick check shows that it does not work with Tome of Retraining properly, having quickly tested with a level 3 Goblin Tinker that learned Pocket Factory, then Upgrade while the cooldown was active, then used the Tome with the cooldown still active. It refunded the ability points properly, but Pocket Factory was not actually unlearned, so there was a level 3 Goblin Tinker with 4 total ability points.

2. King Tidus

King Tidus

Resources:
    Resources:
    If you use it 'normally' it wont show up in the box gui on the bottom right

that is why u gotta do this engineering upgrade thing

Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
  3. Jake Kessler

Jake Kessler

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Be aware this can do some wacky unintended things if the upgrade ability and the original ability aren't based on the same thing. Specifically, values used by the un-upgraded ability aren't always disabled when you upgrade it, so you can get weird mashups of the two effects.

Example: You upgrade Shadow Strike into Storm Bolt. The tick period value isn't used by Storm Bolt so it doesn't get reset to anything; neither is the tick damage value. The game ends up executing the ticking damage once every frame for the duration of the Storm Bolt stun, causing total damage in the millions.

(Check out the link in my signature for more about Engineering Upgrade)

4. Lord Aiden

Lord Aiden

Resources:
    Resources:
    @King Tidus : So this ability is essentially like storm, earth, and fire, but triggered by the hero's hp being depleted right? Do you know if it can spawn multiple units? Can it spawn a hero instead of a shadow (regular unit)

5. Banelingline

Banelingline

Resources:
    Resources:
    And now I'm wondering what can be done usefully with that glitch, but that's not on topic for this thread.

If you're talking about Pheonix Morphing, you have to set up triggers keyed to the ability activating to get multiple units, as the unit does not die, nor does it have a field for multiple units being spawned. It's also buggy as fuck when used on Heroes as mentioned here. By me.

6. terrio

terrio

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    i messed with that, and i made phoenix change to blood mage instead of egg, the results were a bloodmage icon with phoenix unit getting stats from hero , on second morph the stats were double, on third, game crashed

making it bloodmage egg and mountain king normal unit, i made infinte loop which made phenix stronger every egg duration goes to zero

goddamnit, giving egg ability to mountain king and bloodmage which make them switch vice versa, works flawlessely, making them switch their "forms" every few secs saving the abillities and learnt abillities, this is surely interesting

note: the map is for 1.29 ptr

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
  7. Banelingline

Banelingline

Resources:
    Resources:
    I think what fixed the growth bug to make it alternate was having a pair of abilities that made it so that each Hero was both forms at once. The ability works properly when both have the same version of the ability as shown in the minimally-adjusted version I've attached.

Attached Files:

8. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Wait, so hold on; are you saying the standard Goblin Tinker hero has issues with using the standard Tome of Retraining?? Like, that sounds like a bug, an actual, real bug. That we should report. :O

9. terrio

terrio

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    well, the heros changing their forms was intentional, but the fix seems fine for someone who wants to hero change their forms on death.

10. Banelingline

Banelingline

Resources:
    Resources:
    So, a thought comes to mind for a new usage of the ability, reminded of a detail of the functionality by messing around with Metamorphosis (the techtree contest has me thinking of all the unit changing and producing mechanics. Sadly, the Acolyte to Shade conversion appears hardcoded). Namely, the alternate form will always be on the timer. This means that you can produce the alternate form, and then it is on a time limit before becoming the "normal" form, which becomes the produced unit on "death".

This can be used for some odd production methods, such as a "start and go" production method for a self-reviving unit. A rather literal example would be a super-Pheonix that can lay pheonix eggs that then hatch to form standard Pheonix, taking only a brief moment to lay the egg, then the timer ticks on to make the actual Pheonix at a delay. This is a helpful production method for "nomad" techtrees, as you only stop for a moment to start production.

11. SgtWinter

SgtWinter

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    With Phoenix revival, I'd make a zerg-like egg hatch-thing system thingymajig! Use the Phoenix Morphing to add a timer to a unit, which is an egg, then add a trigger that checks if that unit issues the phoenix morph order to replace it with something like a Zergling.

Though, I just use it as a neat-looking timer since it can be detected via triggers with the check order condition and doesn't kill the unit like the standard expiration timer.

12. Banelingline

Banelingline

Resources:
    Resources:
    Pretty sure the "canonical" way to do that is actually a large mass of Destroyer Form type abilities, actually. Or UI abuse to have the egg be a "structure" that "upgrades" into the units, changing categorization to switch the units from structures after being specified as upgraded forms if needed.