• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Siege of Helms Deep v5.0.9

Contents

Siege of Helms Deep v5.0.9 (Map)

Reviews
14:15, 21st Mar 2009 by bounty hunter2: I see an improvement from the previous version, now here is my short review: I have played quite some Helms Deep maps, and I must say this one does differ itself. The terrain was done greatly, really...
Level 11
Alright it's time for another review of this map, and I have seen a lot of improvement on this.

Bad Points
-One of the bad points is the armor for both the cave and hall gates, it's ridicously high, and took 3 minutes away just to break it, battering ram could of been useful but it's so slow...

-Still no use for the door right beside the hall gate.

Neutral Points
Nothing

Good Points
+ A lot of things have improved, most noticable is the balancing of this.

+ The Multiboard setup to display the timer, the arrival of ladders, if heroes can kick ladder and the gates health percentages.

+ You actually switched the spear thrower for pikemens

+ Terrain is still good.

+ The Riders finally arn't rigged when they reach the end of the place.

Right now this map is still a 4/5 for me.

Level 12
Alright it's time for another review of this map, and I have seen a lot of improvement on this.

Bad Points
-One of the bad points is the armor for both the cave and hall gates, it's ridicously high, and took 3 minutes away just to break it, battering ram could of been useful but it's so slow...

-Still no use for the door right beside the hall gate.

Neutral Points
Nothing

Good Points
+ A lot of things have improved, most noticable is the balancing of this.

+ The Multiboard setup to display the timer, the arrival of ladders, if heroes can kick ladder and the gates health percentages.

+ You actually switched the spear thrower for pikemens

+ Terrain is still good.

+ The Riders finally arn't rigged when they reach the end of the place.

Right now this map is still a 4/5 for me.

Thank you ALOT for this! :D

Well, about the gates.. I don't think normal units should be able to take down a gate, TOO unrealistic. Well, they can take it down but yes it will take time. I could make rams faster perhaps!

And about that door, do you think I should have anything in the cellar down there? Any idea? As me myself really want to keep it but I don't know what to have it for yet..

By the way, what do you mean by "rigged"?

Level 4
I dont know why its WC3. what could be causing it? also , played as white hand and found it hard, even microing 5 teams with my own personal choices of units, that it was very hard to effectively push into helms deep until there was hardly any time left, and this was with no human players :/ Maybe its just becauseim not good but it seemed pretty tough for uruks to win.

Level 12
I dont know why its WC3. what could be causing it? also , played as white hand and found it hard, even microing 5 teams with my own personal choices of units, that it was very hard to effectively push into helms deep until there was hardly any time left, and this was with no human players :/ Maybe its just becauseim not good but it seemed pretty tough for uruks to win.

Well as I don't use JASS or any coding theres no event for pressing the hero abilities button so it shouldn't be the map and none ever told me about any such problem on this map.

Well yeah, after 2-3 times you should do it kinda easy but in the next version which probably comes today I'll add options to change how long it takes until Gandalfs return for example.

Level 4
Well as I don't use JASS or any coding theres no event for pressing the hero abilities button so it shouldn't be the map and none ever told me about any such problem on this map.

Well yeah, after 2-3 times you should do it kinda easy but in the next version which probably comes today I'll add options to change how long it takes until Gandalfs return for example.

Well thats good. short time for pro uruks and longer time for noob uruks. even mid time for both teams to compromise on. should probably make it some sort of wisp choosing to allow players to vote on their own choices or a choice for each player.

Level 2
Im currently getting problems with flag carriers, rams and ballistae, im not sure if this is the "wall blow bug" you guys have been talking about or something else, but when looking for the requirements to build them, it says it needs default string.

Level 12
Im currently getting problems with flag carriers, rams and ballistae, im not sure if this is the "wall blow bug" you guys have been talking about or something else, but when looking for the requirements to build them, it says it needs default string.

Oh yea, i have been to lazy to update the map here but I will do it now to the newest version where it works!

Edit; done!

Last edited:
Level 2
Ah, thank you very much, trying to get the main gate without the rams was 300x as tough and longer.

I was also wondering if you could fix the main gate some, whenever a melee unit tries to attack it, it "teleports" them back aways, theres also been a few problems with the defenders opening the gates and then closing them after a ram or two have gotten inside, making them pretty worthless.

Either way, I still love this map and the new ideas it brings compared to the traditional Helms deep maps.

Level 12
Ah, thank you very much, trying to get the main gate without the rams was 300x as tough and longer.

I was also wondering if you could fix the main gate some, whenever a melee unit tries to attack it, it "teleports" them back aways, theres also been a few problems with the defenders opening the gates and then closing them after a ram or two have gotten inside, making them pretty worthless.

Either way, I still love this map and the new ideas it brings compared to the traditional Helms deep maps.

Yeah thank you alot of replying again :)
Well in this latest version, defenders can't open/close the main gate if it's been attack within 7 seconds, so as I've seen it, it fixed that stupid Ram problem which I noticed also :p

I might be able to fix the problem with units teleporting back but not very sure, thanks for mentioning!

Keep replying, I appreciate it alot! ;D
Also, if you want to become one of my Map Testers, you could either reply me here on Hive Work Shop or on my Helms Deep website "http://GetSoHD.tk/" .

Level 12
As it's been like 3 months since I last updated, I'll share the Version Notes here also!
Changes to the loading screen.
Removed the following models for: The old Uruk'Hai Spearthrower, a small smoke, the old Uruk'Hai Pikeman.
Removed a secret "cheat" hero, removing even more models and reducing the overall file size of the map.
Added camera smoothness.
Changed Civilians tooltip, telling people that they can be upgraded in the cellar next to the hall by picking up armor.
Added Kicking for the host.
The host will get to choose between normal mode and survival mode when the game starts.
Fixed a minor bug with kicking.
Added colour to the camera tip message.

Level 2
I've got tired of seeing LOTR maps! What about the history before? Tolkin wrote some bools talking about the history of Middle Earth before LOTR, such as Silmarilion! Can you create a map like this?

Anyway, 4/5 from me for your map!

Matey some first age(silmarilion and children of hurin) maps-WotJ(War of the Jewels) and AoQ(Age of Quendi)

Some Second Age maps- LotR LA(Lord of the Rings Last Alliance) and SA(Second Age)

All great maps.

Ohh and btw good job Vuormalainen.