1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

[Spell] Should I make my spells MUI?

Discussion in 'World Editor Help Zone' started by Krakenn99, Aug 1, 2018.

1. Krakenn99

Krakenn99

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    On the map I'm working on, the're will be no mirror matching or cooldown resetting, is it worth the extra effort to make spells MUI?

2. nedio95

nedio95

Resources:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Yes.

Edit// Are we talking Natural Selection ?
    As I remember players of the same team can pick the same hero type, no?
    Also, may be worth in case you have future "ideas" and you would not have to rework EVERYTHING.

-Ned

3. Pyrogasm

Pyrogasm

Resources:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    If using JASS it's very easy to do so, but GUI can be a pain for some types of spells. If you run into a spell that is hard to make MUI post here and we'll suggest how. Or you can leave that hero as a 'single player only' until you finish the map and then fix it. IMO most spells aren't that hard to make work for an arbitrary number of units at once, especially since buffs stack now. You can also cheat and index by player number with arrays for each spell's data to just make it 24-player-instanceable.

4. Abishkar

Abishkar

Resources:
    Resources:
    Aw, man. Why did you stop signing off as "Regards
    - Ned" ? You broke your Regards Streak! :p
    Okay, as for the topic of this thread, if you make the spell MUI then there will be benefits here.
    GUI can really be a pain in the ass sometimes as stated by @Pyrogasm , so try doing it MUI
    Good luck with your map!
    ;)
    Regards
    - Abishkar ( :D@nedio95 )

5. Krakenn99

Krakenn99

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    @nedio95 it's for another map, Natural Seletion's development is on pause at the moment.
    @Pyrogasm @Abishkar I can't JASS so I only use GUI and it really is a pain in the ass, I find it unecessary, the amount of time I have to invest in some spells only to make them bugless is too much. :/

6. Daffa the Mage

Daffa the Mage

Map Moderator

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I suggest investing in studying SpellEvent by Bribe and scout the spell section for potential resources. Particular user I suggest would be Tank-Commander since he has a lot of spells with high complexity.

7. Chaosy

Chaosy

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I cannot really forgive myself for lazy coding most of the time. Not to the extent that it is not MUI.

But if there is no reason to, it is a waste of time. However I encourage doing it for learning purposes.

8. disruptive_

disruptive_

Resources:
    Resources:
    It's the old struggle between a short-term election and a large scale one.

If you're somewhat compelled to make a result here and now (don't know a real reason, because modding is hobby but w/e, i guess we can all die unexpectedly and maybe never "respawn", so "MAP AND BE MERRY FOR TOMORROW WE DIE" then), then go for the non MUI approach, or if you value more doing another specific modding action, ie. terraining, triggering another spell or system more relevant to the game, than triggering (cost of opportunity) the non MUI approach is also a rational option. But we aren't rational.

Just note that making a spell MUI and overall increasing it's robustness has some unexpected benefits, and in this thread those were already pointed out.
    Learning is of course one of those. Learning is very important. Note that learning is always acumulative and interconnected. You will never know when learning to make a kamekameha spell MUI, could make learning another thing, even completely unrelated, ie. cooking delicious pasta, more easy. Everything is connected, except my eyebrows.
    In my opinion, learning about the trigger editor is perhaps the most valuable learning (also in life, as i trigger enhanced my way in life), even if limited to learn how to make a specific spell MUI, than ie. learning to make a good-looking river with the terrain editor. Mostly because with triggers you add features to the map, something we all dopamine freaks just crave for.
    MUI spells and systems make for some templates for further use, and if decent and useful enough you can even then submit them unto the spell section.

Regards
    - Me

9. nedio95

nedio95

Resources:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    @Krakenn99 would be happy to give you a hand with spells/systems if you like? :)

-Ned

PS: @Abishkar how about this? (Try the reply button ;) )

10. Abishkar

Abishkar

Resources:
    Resources:
    Haha, great

11. Bribe

Bribe

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    I can do one or two spells from your map using Spell System if you want some help. I'll add comments to them as well so you can see what I'm doing. Just PM me if you are interested.

12. Krakenn99

Krakenn99

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I am interested @nedio95 and @Bribe but not at the moment, I would like to finish the map or at least post a playable version of it on the Hive and then I might share it with people that would like to help. Sharing it this soon will slow the map progress by a lot.