• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Short Story Contest #4 - Great War Stories

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
To write a story you need, at least but not only: A general idea about what kind of story you're going to write, at least one character (that can be a nation, a tribe, etc... if you're going to write some kind of war chronicle) and an ending to the story that can change as the story goes on. With that you're good to go. Using the general idea you've got and the character/s, you write a starting. Now you "just" have to connect the start with the end with a series of main events that make the main plot advance and make sense with the characters characteristics and the world setting. But, what if you finish writing that and it's too boring? Well, then you just have to add some scenes between main events that add a bit of variety to the story.
And what if the story is too short? Well, then you should add secondary plots but... if you add them after the story is finished, they would be irrelevant to the main plot and so would be some kind of senseless adition...
After all maybe it would've been better to plan it from before...
In the end, what I come to say is...
I disagree, Overplanning is a bad idea, but planning in general depends on the style of writing you are doing. Writing a Mystery or some kind of psychological thriller or horror; if you don't plan it won't make any sense, at all.

I personally think Basic Planning; essentially to have some basic outline is a requirement but under planning can be a problem especially in longer works because you might not even see how you can draw a clear line to your climax and then to your conclusion that you want to make without making huge plot holes in the story.

Character Planning on the other hand is critical, you have to know your characters better then you need to, to make them realistic of any sort. If you don't think a character through they won't seem like real people. (i.e.: a robber who just robs for no exact reason or depth in his personality.) If that is the case, the reader might just lose any appeal, feelings or interest in that said character.

Status
Not open for further replies.