• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Shockwave w/ out homing...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
I'm making a small Anime Map and many of my Anime heros have skills based off of shockwave (angel arm, wind scar)

but I found out a very wierd thing I did not know about Shockwave... that it HOMES! Vash The Stampede (the user of the Angel Arm) stands there for a few seconds (due to casting time) and then BLAM uber damage to anyone he targets since his ultimate is HOMING! Is there a way to make it so when u cast the ability Shockwave it does not shoot at anyone you target but the ground underneath them?

(here is an other example of the leetness and inbalanced ness of a homing shockwave... Inuyasha is casting Wind Scar on an enemy. The enemy runs behind him to avoid his Wind Scar. Inuyasha does his casting animation but the Wind Scar (shockwave) shoots backwards at the target instead of where the target was at the begining of casting! )

this is very annoying and I would very much love a way to fix this... thank you very much

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Simply reduce the damage it deals to a more humane ammount. Or lower the projectile speed.

I also feel this is not so much a trigger problem but a problem using WE, thus to the WEHZ it goes. Rui, if this turns into major trigger talk, send it back to spells and systems.

Level 8
I'm a bit confused with using Channel because this is the first time I have done so. And yes I have examined Conan's Tutorial on TheHelper.net but I really didn't get an answer to my problem.

Heres my problem = I have my Channel version of Angel Arm and my triggers setting up the dummy caster and such. But when my hero (Vash) learns the spell it disapears! eek! Could someone help a confused n00blet?

Level 8
wow thx Poot. but I'm still having aproblem.

I have it set so that when Vash (hero) casts AngelArm (Channel)
it creates a dummycaster with AngelArm (Shockwave) and sets the level of that to the level of Vash's AngelArm. Then it orders the Last Created Unit to Tauren Chieftain - Shockwave at the target point of ability being cast and gives it a 5 second expiration timer. But this still doesn't work. I'm wondering which I should be using? When caster starts the effect of ability? or When caster finishes casting ability or anything that I have over looked?

thx you majorly for your help!

Level 8
yes sure! here you go.
  • Angel Arm
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Finishes casting an ability
    • Conditions
      • (Ability being cast) Equal to Angel Arm
    • Actions
      • Unit - Create 1 dummy caster Angel for (Owner of (Casting unit)) at (Position of (Casting unit)) facing Default building facing degrees
      • Unit - Set level of Angel Arm for (Last created unit) to (Level of Angel Arm for (Casting unit))
      • Unit - Order (Last created unit) to Orc Tauren Chieftain - Shockwave (Target point of ability being cast)
      • Unit - Add a 5.00 second Generic expiration timer to (Last created unit)

Level 40
Finishes Casting an Ability doesn't store Target Point of Ability Being Cast, or Casting Unit, as far as I know. just Triggering Unit.

Try Starts the Effect of an Ability, and replace Casting Unit with Triggering Unit, because the latter is better.

Finally, you may want to clean up those leaks X_x

Level 8
mmm... I never really understood wtf a memory leak was. and I seached the Hive for a post or something explaining it, without luck. So I finally just downloaded Im_On_56k's Memory Leak checker and figured out wtf a Memory leak was and how I could fix them. Thx so Much 4 the help though. I will test later to see if this works cause I'm reallllly tired right now and must sleep.
(BTW I added you to my map's credits and gave you rep 4 all your help... thx much!)

*EDIT* I tested Vash's Angel Arm and the trigger creates the dummy caster but he does nothing...
here is my trigger
  • Events
    • Unit - A unit Starts the effect of an ability
  • Conditions
  • Actions
    • Set Vash_Location = (Position of (Triggering unit))
    • Set angelarmlocation = (Target point of ability being cast)
    • Unit - Create 1 dummy caster Angel for (Owner of (Triggering unit)) at Vash_Location facing Default building facing degrees
    • Unit - Set level of Angel Arm for (Last created unit) to (Level of Angel Arm for (Triggering unit))
    • Unit - Order (Last created unit) to Orc Tauren Chieftain - Shockwave angelarmlocation
    • Custom script: call RemoveLocation(udg_Vash_Location)
    • Custom script: call RemoveLocation(udg_angelarmlocation)
It summons the unit but it does not cast Angel Arm (shockwave)... :,(

I really need this problem with Shockwave fixed... More than 4 heros have a spell similar to Angel Arm and without them I will not be able to host or work on my map any further. Could someone please help?

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 3
This is stupid question but anyway does ure dummy caster have ability that he needs to cast(Angel Arm) cuz u aren't giving it to him via triggers?

Level 3
I redone ure trigger in my editor and it worked perfectly for me. Probably something is wrong with ure dummy caster or ure abilities. I don't see anything else that could be wrong.

Level 8
Yes My Dummy has the spell... Here is a screenshot of it just to make sure
ANGELARM.jpg

and here is the trigger I am using
  • Angel Arm
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Starts the effect of an ability
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Set Vash_Location = (Position of (Triggering unit))
      • Unit - Create 1 dummy caster Angel for (Owner of (Triggering unit)) at Vash_Location facing Default building facing degrees
      • Unit - Set level of Angel Arm for (Last created unit) to (Level of Angel Arm for (Triggering unit))
      • Set Vash_Location = (Target point of ability being cast)
      • Unit - Order (Last created unit) to Orc Tauren Chieftain - Shockwave Vash_Location
      • Custom script: call RemoveLocation(udg_Vash_Location)
I don't see what could be wrong with me! lol

Level 3
OK i got new idea: see if cast range of ure dummy ability is equal or greater that cast range of real ability. This can sometimes cause bug

Level 8
Am I cursed to Suck 4 All Eternity!?!?!

Gawd. Even after your suggestions (and I am not changing my trigger to begin) the skill does not work! well it does. It creates the dummy but all it does is sit there like a tard.... gawd dammit.... wait. -Nasferato???? you said you made this ability? why don't you just make it a map and send it 2 me????

Level 40
Begins casting an ability is waaaaaaaaaaay worse than Starts the Effect of an ability.

Also, he doesn't need to wait before removing the location -- it already gets ordered fine.

(offtopic)Next, panda, I suggest having a single dummy for your map and adding the needed ability to it par situation (/offtopic)

And if you're sure the Orderstring is "shockwave", I can't say I know what's wrong.

Wait, are you sure that ability on your dummy isn't the same as the one on your hero? (by accident)

Level 8
Yes I understand that Hero Begins Ability sux monkey nutts-o
and yes I am ABSOLUTELY sure that the dummy has the shockwave version of AngelArm (instead of the Channel version for the hero)

But what I am wondering is what do you mean by
And if you're sure the Orderstring is "shockwave", I can't say I know what's wrong.
Do you mean the Orderstring for the Channel version of the spell? the Shockwave version of the spell? or the Order that makes the dummy cast the spell???

And BTW I will go and set it so I only have 1 Dummy caster just in case that solves my problems. (which it probably won't....)
agdfhadfhaj.gif

Level 4
I read through all this and I'm wondering. Why don't you just have the trigger be something like this, is there a reason you need a dummy?
  • Events
    • Unit - Unit starts effect of ability.
  • Conditions
    • Ability is AngelArm
  • Actions
    • Custom script: local location TargetSpellLoc = GetSpellTargetLoc()
    • Unit - Order trigger unit to stop
    • Unit - Order trigger unit to shockwave at TargetSpellLoc
    • Custom script: call RemoveLocation(TargetSpellLoc)
    • Custom script: set TargetSpellLoc = null
I don't expect my improv to work perfect but the point is. Do you need a dummy caster? why not just order the unit to target the ground instead of the unit? I like dummy casters, but for this it might be more than needed.

*Also the ordering him to stop before ordering him to do something else is needed sometimes but not all the time, honestly I just don't know in this case. I know I did in a different case when ordering units to attack ground instead of units.

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 4
No you misunderstand, you cast shockwave in GUI form because Angelarm is based on Shockwave and spells based on each other are ordered the same way. So although you're ordering shockwave you are really ordering angel arm.

So the trigger is triggered by casting angelarm on a unit. Then you stop the unit from casting by making the event based on begins so it will stop the unit before he actually casts. Then he is ordered to cast shockwave, which is really ordering him to cast angelarm a second time(because they are based on the same spell) but on the point below the unit.

So in short and simple.

When unit casts angelarm on unit, stop him and have him recast the same spell(angelarm) at the location of the targeted unit.

This requires no seperate shockwave spell on the hero. Just the original angelarm. It requires much less object work, much less triggering, and more efficient.

Level 4
THERE IS NO DUMMY SHOCKWAVE SPELL!! User casts angelarm and so you recast angelarm below the target unit. and the only spell needed is angelarm which is based on shockwave itself. So the only spell you'd see on the unit is angelarm no dummy spell. I think you have some block to how simple this is. I know techniques to make triggered spells but in this case you just don't need them. I know you must like using them but it's just unnecessary this time.

Level 4
You're right, it does need something to check if it's casting on a unit or a point. (I'm just use to a system I made that uses a function of ordering and then sets the units TriggerOrder[Custom Value] = true and then if an order is an trigger order it ignores doing the trigger again.)

and no there's no dummy spell, just one spell.

Although it would really just stop the unit because the trigger wouldn't cast when it ordered him to cast at null. but not to argue. It does need changing I just made it in 2 secs as an idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.