• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Set this model's scaling size to 0 and it's still visible in-game :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 20
As far as I know, setting any model's scaling size to 0 will make the model not visible entirely.

I just wonder why this is not the case for this one I edited: (based on liquid fire, just recolored)
model-problem-jpg.355877

Can someone figure this out? I would be grateful if there is...

Attachments

• DoomfireSpiritFelFlame.mdx
    2.6 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Level 41
it looks like actual particles produced by particle emitters just ignore the whole scaling thing, only the width/length gets scaled down so they emanate from a single point instead of an area
edit: i don't think anything can be done with the model itself, i'd say your best bet is to hide it in a different way like play the death animation or something

Last edited:
Level 20
Thanks for response,

You're right, it looks like we can't manipulate the size of the actual particles
made by these particle emitters via editor which contradicts this statement:
As far as I know, setting any model's scaling size to 0 will make the model not visible entirely.
Just recently noticed this after testing some of the standard models that are also producing particles.

I've even tried ticking 'Don't Inherit Scaling' flag on both particle emitters but
it doesn't do anything regarding this. Maybe there's a possible way somehow

EDIT:

I just thought that there's something wrong with this specific model in
the first place, but it turns out that the case is the same for general ones.
Without any luck, I think it's not possible for a particle to be resizable.

Regardless, I'll just leave this thread opened in case someone can provide a solution for this.

Last edited:
Level 20
Particles don't scale.

Generally you can just Unit - Hide/Unhide a unit with triggers if you don't want it to be visible. If there's a reason why they have to be visible, you can also use the Animation - Play Animation trigger and use "hide" (and the flip side is "show"), although I've only ever used that for doodads (for most units playing the death/decay animation is more helpful).

Level 12
I suppose the issue is that hiding the unit would prevent other units from detecting it (for example) ?

If I wanted to make a model be completely invisible without being undetectable, I would simply add an animation, and set the visibility to 0 for the starting and ending keyframes in all geoset anims or objects.

The model would then not show at all, including particle emitters.

Now I admit it is a pity that we cannot change particle emitters outside MDL editing.

Level 20
I suppose the issue is that hiding the unit would prevent other units from detecting it (for example) ?
The reason why I prefer set unit's size to 0 to hide the model is that hiding/unhiding a unit
that has locust ability can conflict, I've just thought that it will effectively work to all models
but it turns out that it'll not with the particles.

In this case, I'm forced to re-adding the locust ability just to hide/unhide the model properly for the unit.

Thanks for the playing animations advice but sadly I can't use that method
as I'm aiming for the solution that will work as general for each of the model.

But yeah, it's weird that particles don't scale in the editor but only their length and width.

Level 12
Then, you could use :
native SetUnitVertexColor takes unit whichUnit, integer red, integer green, integer blue, integer alpha returns nothing
with 0 as alpha.

This will make the unit model invisible :)

Status
Not open for further replies.