1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The poll for Hive's 12th Concept Art Contest is up! Go cast your vote for your favourite genie!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Travel to distant realms and encounter scenes unknown to the common folk. The Greatest of Adventures is upon us with the 8th Cinematic Contest. Join in on a fun ride.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The 18th Icon Contest is ON! Choose any ingame unit and give him/her Hero abilities. Good luck to all.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Contestants are to create a scene set in the Stone Age. Come and see what you can come up with. We wish you the best of luck!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Colour outside the lines! Techtree Contest #13 is a go. The contest is optionally paired.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Greetings cerebrates, our Swarm needs new spawners that will have numerous children. Join the HIVE's 31st Modeling Contest - Spawners and Spawned! The contest is optionally paired.
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Screenshots

Discussion in 'The Oakwood Forest' started by Sephalo, Jun 14, 2009.

1. Hemlock

Hemlock

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Well to say the least; your terrain is quite enjoyable from the looks, specially for a playable game.
    Please do keep in mind you don't try to overcrowd things (with the wheats for example in one of your later posts) people might find it more an obstruction of their gameplay sight rather than having the optimal viewing pleasure.

Apart from those and a couple of real minors, it looks good, and specially not let yourself be haunted away by people whom say your terrain is not well made for A playable game, just make sure you potion things down here and there.

About the 3rd person camera, if you can make a good camera system for it, in such way it doesn't form an obstacle in ones gameplay, then I'd say go for it!
    All thoroughly given criticism is welcomed for someone that has a map in progress. but
    In the end it remains your map, and from the looks of it, your on a righteous path of creating some unique and entertaining.

Keep up the good work.

2. Sephalo

Sephalo

Resources:
    Resources:
    Thanks for the critism and compliments.
    I can understand some people's critism about camera systems but there's nothing to worry about in this game. We got a pretty nice camera system that won't ruine anyone's gameplay.
    I'd suggest you should take a look at www.youtube.com/oakwoodforestrpg. You can see the gameplay camera in there. The only thing we currently need is a tree fading system, but appart from that I don't think there are any bad things about this system.

3. Narrat0r

Narrat0r

Resources:
    Resources:
    Will you release the demo?

4. Sephalo

Sephalo

Resources:
    Resources:
    When it's done.:wink:

5. Titanhex

Titanhex

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    You're definently getting it right with your goal of creating terrain that looks like it's "in a game." The terrain is definently something I would expect to see in any console or computer game I'm playing.

As long as you get it down and done as to not detract from the gameplay than you're doing a good job. As for cameras, that there is a very tricky business. Good camera systems are far and few between. They immerse your players better and create depth to the world, but they're also restricting and can even require new game controls to work properly. Hopefully you keep this in mind when implementing a camera.

Good luck! Those minor model edits that you require, tell me what they are via private message and I'll see if I can't give it a try. I'm not exactly a model maker, but minor edits to models isn't out of my realm.

6. Spoontoobig

Spoontoobig

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Where did u get those Tree mOdels?!

7. Sephalo

Sephalo

Resources:
    Resources:
    Which tree models are you talking about?

8. Kingz

Kingz

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Screenshots #13 and #23:

The floor looks dull, it is just 1 tile in difrent angles which looks funny and strange.

I suggest getting some better texture for that tile, a tile which actualy can fit nicely in any angle.

Other than that all looks good.

9. Sephalo

Sephalo

Resources:
    Resources:
    Oh well. It looks much better ingame. Also changed the fog of that are a bit and the water colour.

10. Sephalo

Sephalo

Resources:
    Resources:
  11. Gwy

Gwy

Resources:
    Resources:
    I like all this pictures. Great!

I wish you all virtues of a good programmer (endurance + 3)
    to bring this rpg forward !
    (...and maybe you come sometimes near to a demo...)

12. X-OMG-X

X-OMG-X

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Template:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Really great terrain. I wonder how you can make the terrain fully playable without any camera clashes :p

13. Sephalo

Sephalo

Resources:
    Resources:
    Transparant tree's. And well for the walls etc. Not really sure how we're going to fix that. We will deffo come with a good solution because we know a few solutions or well.. options. But we just gotta make some decisions.
    Everything will eventually be fine:D

14. Kingz

Kingz

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    You could: code a dynamic camera system, then you could check if a point which is located from unit - *camera distance* in *negative camera angle* and check if the Z of that location is bigger than some value, if it is rotate the camera?

At least for terrain that would work(example if Z of the location which we calculated earlier is 4-5 times bigger than Z of your unit's location).

Ask .Rain he may know what i am talking about a bit better.

EDIT:

I suggest you to get some custom tileset textures for brick/stone floors.

15. Sephalo

Sephalo

Resources:
    Resources:
    Yeah well. We already spoke about it a while ago, RaiN was maybe going to make a camera system that checks if anything blocks the view and automatically zooms until it doesnt block anymore. We also had the option to get 2 different camera types and let players chose between them. Or maybe we could do both ><.

About the tileset textures. Yeah maybe, but it isn't really bothering me now. And most of the custom tiles don't really fit wc3 that much.

EDIT: And the Z value thing you're talking about is about the height of the terrain. But most of the sight blocking things are doodads:)

16. Kingz

Kingz

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Adding some dead pathing/sight blockers on those "big" doodadds can be used to simulate stuff in code.

Since you can only pick destructables/units in groups, you could check if there are some dead path/sight blockers near the camera point which automaticaly mean big baddass doodadds and shift the camera.

17. RaiN.

RaiN.

Resources:
    Resources:
    Right now most of out camera problems have to do with trees which we finaly found someone to edit and add a transparent animation for them. So right now we have a tree fading system which allows for good view. I havent got my camera blocked by walls or smt like that in none of all the tests i've did so I wont bother with that for now.

18. Bloodemon

Bloodemon

Resources:
    Resources:
    i finaly finded the kind of terrain you are using but something is strange:how can units walk on the imported tiles????I tried but nothing.

19. Sephalo

Sephalo

Resources:
    Resources:
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

20. Bloodemon

Bloodemon

Resources:
    Resources:
    Thnx now i'm ready to terain:grin::thumbs_up: