• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

SC2 is warcraft 4?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 27
With SC2 coming i don't see any use for a whole standalone Warcraft 4 game anymore, the editor allows you to make heroes etc. and does everything the Wc3 one does and more.

The only reason would be a story, but that would mean making all freaking models again only in higher quality or whatever. Anyway, i don't really see the need for a warcraft 4 anymore, maybe a downloadable(paid) sequal by blizzard made with the SC2 engine?

Level 5
How about no? That would be like saying that now that we have Starcraft we don't need to bother making a Warcraft 3, we could just make it a download to use the same engine back in 1998.

Furthermore, Blizzard is a company that wants to make money. They know that Warcraft, especially the RTS, is still a cash cow and people will pay for Warcraft 4. Starcraft is not a substitute for it.

As Technology advances, SC2 will become obsolete, and that's when Warcraft 4 will come out. Or a new RTS. But SC2 will not be the end-all-be-all of Blizzard's RTSes. That's just not how the gaming industry works. Technology advances, people become accustomed to better looking models and get tired of playing the same thing over and over again, they want something new.

Level 27
How about no? That would be like saying that now that we have Starcraft we don't need to bother making a Warcraft 3, we could just make it a download to use the same engine back in 1998.

Huh?

Furthermore, Blizzard is a company that wants to make money. They know that Warcraft, especially the RTS, is still a cash cow and people will pay for Warcraft 4. Starcraft is not a substitute for it.

Editor-wise it is better than war3 which means more/better custom maps and the fact that all old features are still in there people would probably want to make a conversion sooner or later (if it gets done is another story xD). But i don't see it coming within the next 4 years or so.

Level 13
... and then Warcraft 4 comes out with an even more advanced editor and then a thread pops up that "there is no reason for Starcraft 3 since Warcraft 4 editor is so powerful!"

Level 27
With SC2 coming i don't see any use for a whole standalone Warcraft 4 game anymore, the editor allows you to make heroes etc. and does everything the Wc3 one does and more.
Yes, it is true that one of the big aims of Starcraft II was to make a very moddable game. I think it's only a matter of time until Blizzard realizes they can start making big money with their product being the game engine itself.
The only reason would be a story, but that would mean making all freaking models again only in higher quality or whatever. Anyway, i don't really see the need for a warcraft 4 anymore, maybe a downloadable(paid) sequal by blizzard made with the SC2 engine?
I think it's certainly possible. The question is if they realize their product is the game engine or not before Warcraft IV. Or perhaps they'll do WC4 for one final major upgrade to the game engine.

Level 27
... and then Warcraft 4 comes out with an even more advanced editor and then a thread pops up that "there is no reason for Starcraft 3 since Warcraft 4 editor is so powerful!"

I just meant that warcraft 4 would probably take so long to being released because of blizzard having other projects under developement (D3, WoW, and SC2 itself) and SC2 pratically being the sequal to the modfest that warcraft 3 became.

And about that editor, i've heard about tons of stuff now that the War3 one was lacking (yes probably because of the advanced modding community but anyways) like for example that data editor. I don't think they can come up with something better unless they make War4 a whole other type of game/RTS.

Level 6
I think WC4 will be announced in 5 years.

Blizzard is currently working on SC2 and than its expansions as well as the WoW expansion(Don't know how many more they will make)? They're also working on Diablo 3 and than its possible expansions as well as a next gen MMORPG which is suppose to be a NEW franchise. That's 4 Blizz teams working on games.

There will be a WC4 in the future, but I don't see one in the near future seeing how WoW is already covering the Warcraft universe. Expect a WC4; just don't expect it anytime soon.

Level 27
And that's exactly what i ment (forgot to mention that new MMO btw)

So my conclusion, the purpose of the thread actually just stating my opinion here:

War4 won't be coming anytime soon,War3 is old, i'm off to Starcraft 2 because it's in any way better than War3 and i expect the same kind of multiplayer experience in custom games. (And i also never got to play the original so im also new to the melee variant)

Level 13
And about that editor, i've heard about tons of stuff now that the War3 one was lacking (yes probably because of the advanced modding community but anyways) like for example that data editor. I don't think they can come up with something better unless they make War4 a whole other type of game/RTS.
... and then while people are using Starcraft 2 editor they start complaining about different kinds of limitations in THAT system and some systems that could be improved. Then those will be improved for Warcraft 4 editor and this same thread pops up again, except this time it's no Starcraft 3 because of Warcraft 4.

Starcraft 2:
starcraft.jpg

Warcraft 3:
warcraft3humansfightorcmm1.jpg

Yep, same franchise, definitely.

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 27
You realize that if you strip the art aspect out of those images you end up with almost identical games? The UI is almost 1:1. I wouldn't be surprised if they actually reused code from WC3.

Level 9
I wouldn't be surprised either, though it would be catastrophically stupid to completely redo the entire code whenever making a new RTS, the style has to be somewhat familiar or it'll feel too alien and might turn some people off of the game, pretty much every video game franchise reuses code from their older video games, its true for just about all of them.

Level 27
... and then while people are using Starcraft 2 editor they start complaining about different kinds of limitations in THAT system and some systems that could be improved. Then those will be improved for Warcraft 4 editor and this same thread pops up again, except this time it's no Starcraft 3 because of Warcraft 4.

And you did not notice the WoW-like launcher blizzard made for starcraft 2 to update it's content?

Level 22
SC2 will he here for another 10 years, then Wc4 will come. Well in 3+ years maybe or more...

I wish that but Blizzard want to make ppl buy games a lot sooner, so imo 4 years and warcraft 4 may be out for beta. Esp if they announce War4 next blizzcon.

With SC2 you would have to make lots of custom interface and such, which was the same futuristic in war3 - which made me actually stop doing war3 maps and continue from that point in galaxy editor.

Level 9

It's thinking like this that makes innovative people cry.

Look to history. There are always people who claim that they have reached the top. They have always been wrong.

Level 8
I wish that but Blizzard want to make ppl buy games a lot sooner, so imo 4 years and warcraft 4 may be out for beta. Esp if they announce War4 next Blizzcon.

With SC2 you would have to make lots of custom interface and such, which was the same futuristic in war3 - which made me actually stop doing war3 maps and continue from that point in galaxy editor.

Why would you think so? In a BlizzCast Blizzard already mentioned that there won't be any upcoming Warcraft RTS game in the next years.
It's so obvious that Wc4 will not come out in about at least the next 7-8 years.
It wouldn't make any sense to build another RTS game when still developing both SC2 add-ons, which will take about 3-4 years (rather 4 as I doubt they'll manage to make each in 3/2 years).
And even after the release of the last expansion I have my doubts Blizzard will work immediately on a new RTS engine. They'll rather want SC2 to age a bit before they come up with another RTS.

Trust me, there won't be Wc4 in this decade.

Level 22
Im glad to hear that as I dont wanna buy a game when another new game will come in 3 or 4 years. But who knows, when they make D3, their next game might be War4, I hope not this WoW. But it looks like whether they make war4 or not, there will be lots of WoW editionsn and the brother, mother and uncle of Arthas will come to make sure that Blizzard continue to earn money from their WoW nerds that will also never stop playing that game.

Level 8
You sound like one of those mainstream rager that flame WoW for no real reason. I meanwhile, while I dislike RPGs like WoW as it provides Blizzard the money for the other projects ;P

And don't worry Blizzard already has two other projects running with on of them being another mmorpg. They've yet to reveal anything about these though.

Level 3
It's not World Of Starcraft, Blizzard has already stated that the new upcoming MMORPG will be a totally different universe.

Level 27
It's thinking like this that makes innovative people cry.

Look to history. There are always people who claim that they have reached the top. They have always been wrong.
I consider myself an innovative type person. We have computer now, and are reaching a ridiculous amount of physical automation, so I feel confident we are going to start reaching ideals. Is there not an ideal way to construct an adding circuit?
Could it be a fourth universe Blizzard intends to make to join Starcraft, Warcraft, and Diablo? o.o
Pancraft! :D

Level 9
I consider myself an innovative type person. We have computer now, and are reaching a ridiculous amount of physical automation, so I feel confident we are going to start reaching ideals. Is there not an ideal way to construct an adding circuit?

Like I said, look to history.

Ultimatums have always ended up being wrong.

"The earth is flat."
"The earth is the center of the universe."
“I think there’s a world market for about 5 computers.”
“640K ought to be enough for anybody.”
“There is no reason for any individual to have a computer in his home.”

I could go on.

Level 27
That demonstrates the similarity in implementation.
"The earth is flat."
Not even.
"The earth is the center of the universe."
There was no foundation for this belief.
“I think there’s a world market for about 5 computers.”
This is true. The computers being talked about were crap.
“640K ought to be enough for anybody.”
If you don't plan on doing anything modern.
“There is no reason for any individual to have a computer in his home.”
Again, true for the computers at the time.

Never before in history have we been able to approach the mathematically most efficient solutions. With computers and our increasing level of physical automation, we are approaching ideal implementations. Sure, we may upgrade to a faster processor, but we don't need to make a new calculator program every time. At most, we simply compile it for the new architecture.

Level 14
On a side note, I really wish Blizzard will come with some ne
Anyway, i don't really see the need for a warcraft 4 anymore, maybe a downloadable(paid) sequal by blizzard made with the SC2 engine?

The engine SC2 is using, is called Havoc.
The reason why Blizzard doesn't use it's own engine for SC2 is because their engine renders cartoonish style models. That was one of the problems with Starcraft Ghost, a lot of people didn't like the cartoonish style in SC2. Hence, Warcraft "4" wouldn't look cartoonish (like it should) in the SC2 game.

On a side note, I really wish Blizzard will come with some new ideas, games, genres.
At the moment SC2 and D3 are just remakes of their older games with better graphix. Personally I don't feel SC2 changed anything to the genre. It's just a remake of a great game where old tactics are easier to execute. I would be dissapointed if Blizzard would make their next game Warcraft 4. . .aka wc3 with better graphics.

Level 6
Blizzards plans in 10 years:
Warcraft is still a RPG game with like 8 expansions.
Starcraft- still a RTS game.

They have maybe quitted making Warcraft RTS since they find it pretty meaningless of developing 2 RTS games. So why not turn one of them into a MMORPG?
More variety, now they have a MMORPG, RTS and even a hack-n-slash online 2.5D game.

And could you guys imagine?
World of Starcraft.

Level 22
There wont be world of starcraft lol. Or any other of that type, only WoW.

The guy who started the thread has no clue why hes right but he's completetly right. Most of my war3 opppents are now playing zotac in SC2, so yes! It is war4 as many tournaments, players a re frm war 3.

Level 6
Blizzards plans in 10 years:
Warcraft is still a RPG game with like 8 expansions.
Starcraft- still a RTS game.

They have maybe quitted making Warcraft RTS since they find it pretty meaningless of developing 2 RTS games. So why not turn one of them into a MMORPG?
More variety, now they have a MMORPG, RTS and even a hack-n-slash online 2.5D game.

And could you guys imagine?
World of Starcraft.

WoW is a mmorpg. We still need an RPG. I'm not sure if Blizzard can make those though? I mean last time they tried the game got canceled. They would need to hire some experts.

Level 13
On a side note, I really wish Blizzard will come with some ne

The engine SC2 is using, is called Havoc.
The reason why Blizzard doesn't use it's own engine for SC2 is because their engine renders cartoonish style models. That was one of the problems with Starcraft Ghost, a lot of people didn't like the cartoonish style in SC2. Hence, Warcraft "4" wouldn't look cartoonish (like it should) in the SC2 game.

On a side note, I really wish Blizzard will come with some new ideas, games, genres.
At the moment SC2 and D3 are just remakes of their older games with better graphix. Personally I don't feel SC2 changed anything to the genre. It's just a remake of a great game where old tactics are easier to execute. I would be dissapointed if Blizzard would make their next game Warcraft 4. . .aka wc3 with better graphics.

I think you mean Havok, which isn't even a game engine. It's a physics engine.

Level 12
WoW won't stay as the only MMO they own, they have a new one. It's probably not SC, it's probably it's own new theme entirely.

Level 6
WoW is a mmorpg. We still need an RPG. I'm not sure if Blizzard can make those though? I mean last time they tried the game got canceled. They would need to hire some experts.

IT'S NOT CANCELLED!!
It's only indefinitely postponed...

EDIT:
I think you mean Havok, which isn't even a game engine. It's a physics engine.
Give the man a cookie, he's right! :grin:

Level 6
IT'S NOT CANCELLED!!
It's only indefinitely postponed...

Sorry for the mix-up. Warcraft Adventures was canceled and Starcraft Ghost was postponed.

This just goes to show that their attempts to make a good RPG have failed. When it comes to making games Blizzard just happens to struggle with RPG's. It's their weak spot. They need to get some experts in that category. They need to hire some people form Bethesda or Bioware. Those companies make great RPG's.

Level 6
Sorry for the mix-up. Warcraft Adventures was canceled and Starcraft Ghost was postponed.

This just goes to show that their attempts to make a good RPG have failed. When it comes to making games Blizzard just happens to struggle with RPG's. It's their weak spot. They need to get some experts in that category. They need to hire some people form Bethesda or Bioware. Those companies make great RPG's.

True.
A mix between Dragon Age: Origins, and Oblivion might become great :D

Level 6
Oh, I wish they made wc4 instead, but I will buy it and give it a chance! I have heard that u can even construct FPS games in the world-editor, would be cool ^^ But do they use GUI and Jass as well, or have they constructed new laguages?

It's a new language they are using. I guess they'll implement a Graphical User Interface (GUI) for it.
I think it was called Galaxy... or something.

You can supposendly do EVERYTHING in the GUI without coding. (coding will probably be alot better though.) and you can make your own custom user interfaces aswell. The coding name is Galaxy and its syntax is based off of C, or so i have heard.

EDIT - Titan quest looks similar to D3, and it is classified as an RPG. so i suppose it is. but they havent yet made a First person RPG yet. like oblivion. etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.