1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

SC2 DotA

Discussion in 'StarCraft I & II' started by Jaakko, Apr 25, 2009.

1. Ricardo Irving

Ricardo Irving

Resources:
    Resources:
  2. Dark.Revenant

Dark.Revenant

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    DotA is a well-made map, to some extent. It has its flaws, but so does every other map. But it's just that - DotA is played so much that by sane logic you'd expect it to be the shining holy grail that defines the world's existence, but it isn't. DotA is just an above average map that is horribly overplayed because a (lucky) hackjob decided to take it over and sponsor some tournaments, then dedicate his life toward monopolizing battle.net rather than perfect the map he took.

3. sixbrownsnakes2

sixbrownsnakes2

Resources:
    Resources:
    The sheer lack of knowledge in this topic astounds me. I don't post here but I read this topic and was pretty taken aback by people's lack of knowledge on this topic. So I guess I'll fill some people in.

No AOS is not even close to the same thing as DOTA. AOS was players against a computer. It was a one-team game. You "won" the map similar to the hero-defense maps that exist on warcraft 3 right now. The only similarities were the spawned units going against each other and killing the other team's main. Anybody who says otherwise has no idea what Aeon of Strife is and obviously didn't play the original.

Next to the morons expecting IceFrog to simply port DOTA to SC2: NOT HAPPENING. Sure any SC2 map IceFrog makes will have SOME sort of cult following because of his popularity due to his work on DOTA: Allstars. However, the guy is already tied up enough in his work on Warcraft, there's simply no way he could mod Warcraft, play Starcraft 2 and then find the time to create and update a Starcraft 2 mod of DOTA's magnitude without changing his priorities greatly. And this comes from someone who knows absolutely nothing about Icefrog's real life.

Lastly, the people in this topic who don't know the SC2 editor's capabilities should definitely read this paragraph. Items, experience and level-up capabilities will all be included in the Editor. The only thing that remains to be seen is whether or not hero attributes will be incorporated into the in-game interface (Strength, Agility, Intelligence in WC3) and if so, whether or not they'd be customizable.

Simply because the fantasy theme of DOTA on Warcraft doesn't necessarily "fit in" to the Starcraft universe does not mean a great AOS map cannot be made. The power of this new editor remains to be seen, but the Data editor will give the freedom to create any spell someone wants from scratch without having to "base it off another spell" so to speak. Furthermore the ability to define syntax and libraries within the editor and increased functionality of the User-Interface portion of the trigger editor will make it much easier to create maps with wide varieties of functionality and spells or abilities.

So AOS =/= DOTA despite it being credited for inspiring Eul to create DOTA, Icefrog won't port DOTA to SC2, and yes the editor/universe for SC2 are powerful enough to create amazingly vast and diverse AOS maps.

4. Ricardo Irving

Ricardo Irving

Resources:
    Resources:
    Oh yay -- there's still items, xp and lvl up!

5. PrinceofIce

PrinceofIce

Resources:
    Resources:
    I'm sure I wouldn't hate Dota if maybe I could play it long enough without the pros getting all pissed at me so I could actually...you know play it? and learn how to play it?

I'm sure I wouldn't hate Dota if maybe it didn't make up 4 out of 5 games. But it does.

So I hate Dota to the extreme. And in fact I don't like AoS's a whole lot as it is, because a lot of them are bad when it comes to people who've already played it.

Tolerance for noobs is getting to the point for all games where, if your a noob your hopes for a noob-friendly game is so low, most don't count on it.

I'm sure there will be many dota-wannbes. Maybe even an official dota. I just hope that those of us who..aren't a fan, can make really creative custom games to beat those wannabe and make it so it doesn't take over.

We can hope.

6. Hawkwing

Hawkwing

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    It'll come eventually, but with a new name.

7. PrinceofIce

PrinceofIce

Resources:
    Resources:
    We all know the new name

It'll be Dota:Defense of the Aliens.

Where you been?

8. Midnighters

Midnighters

Resources:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    You realize guys the Terratron was an april fools joke?

9. Hawkwing

Hawkwing

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Who said it wasn't?

10. Midnighters

Midnighters

Resources:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Like way the fuck up there.

11. MGCǂSpectre

MGCǂSpectre

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    There's a thread where they said they're thinking of putting it in the editor..

12. Midnighters

Midnighters

Resources:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    They might be thinking about it, but if you went to the official website, it was an april fools joke

13. Reaper2008

Reaper2008

Resources:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Terratron WAS an april fool joke.

On subject: Do I want DotA on SC?
    ........nope!
    Will DotA get to SC2?
    Unfortunately, it will. But maybe that's better, at least we wont have even cheaper imitations of it lying around SC2 Bnet.

14. Ricardo Irving

Ricardo Irving

Resources:
    Resources:
    Blizzard are a bunch of fools. They apparently think its an example of what the editor can do. What?! What about Sharpshooter?! The Sharpshooter author's prototype TPS? This straight away proves, They. Are. Wrong. Oh, ORPGs! The genres that W3 invented! MAUL! TD! Etc. Undead Assault? Crazy Monkey's Vampirism? Vampirism Beast? Blizzard clearly only play the most famous maps, which the less famous, extremely much better maps own. DoTA is decent, but lowered to bad, for these reasons.
    1) It is not worthy of fame, the most played mod in the world, and dominating B.Net.
    2) Community. Apparently, some are so dumb they think that only deaths matter. One game, I got 20 kills and 5 deaths. They criticize me and call me a fag...???
    3) Other reasons.
    Anyway, someone will make a map that the fools at Blizzard realise is an actual map, on SC2, before it can be plagued, and corrupted, by the evil of...Dota.

15. Bane

Bane

Resources:
    Resources:
    Hero systems have been confirmed, blizzard said they would be incorperating heroes,
    items, and extra resources so people could create games similar to ones in WC3. It was
    in one of the question batches.

16. bboy-tiger-

bboy-tiger-

Resources:
    Resources:
    Yup, there also be option to create custom races, and they will be selectable under menu in the lobby :).

Also about heroes, you will be able to make custom attributes for them. (Wc3 had quite of limit there)...

My only concern is how they are looking on map size limit...
    Would be cool if we could create own mpq's :D

DotA is fine map, DotA community is a biatch!! I stoped playing DotA coz of people not he map itself. Its a decent map... but sure, there are lot better maps, and DIFFERENT.

But there are few good maps...

17. LordDz

LordDz

Resources:
    Resources:
    So was the Goblin Tinker ;)

What are you on? They've made their own versions of such maps, + they did a thing on battle.net, (can't give link because I don't have permission to visit that site. Dunno why) to promote custom maps (it failed, but they at least did something).
    Also.. Other reasons? At least give valid reasons if you're going to rant.

18. Bane

Bane

Resources:
    Resources:
    If you guys don't want dota in SC2 then starting learning C, start concepting a map out, starting brainstorming.
    Then by the time that SC2 comes around, you'll already have the coding knowledge, a foundation for your games, even models if you want to go that far. Start making a game the day it comes out, be one of the first to make a kickass custom game using the new galaxy coding language. If you beat icefrog to creating a popular game bnet2 wont be completely raped by DOTA

19. MGCǂSpectre

MGCǂSpectre

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Defenders of the Aliens is coming madafakaa! :D It will own all other maps, the plague will be twice as bad, and this time it will corrupt your souls. And apparently the SC2 Defenders will enter the world of Warcraft 3 - i.e someone will export a model from DotAliens to DotAncients

20. bboy-tiger-

bboy-tiger-

Resources:
    Resources:
    ahhaha DotA*Aliens , damn original xD.

Also without DotA we wouldn't have that good SC2 map editor.