• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

SC-style cloaking: Where to start?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
I know how to do basic Wind-Walk capabilities, and variations thereof, but what about the cloaking of StarCraft, where the character fades away, but can still attack without breaking the cloaking? Is that possible in War3U? :confused:

Level 6
make an immolation ability that ONLY drains mana. when the caster is issued the order "immolation", give him the 'Ghost' ability. remove said ability when he no longer has the immolation buff.

'Ghost' keeps your unit invisible even when you attack. The 'immolation' is there for the energy loss simulation - as with ghosts and wraiths; if you dont want this effect, preclude the use of the immolation ability and simply add the 'Ghost' ability to the desired cloaked unit.

P.S. you can add 'Tornado Slow Aura' (or several of them) as a SFX for the immolation buff: it's a whirly swirl thing; makes its bearer looked cloaked for me.

Level 5
ok, my implementation trigger is this:

Events-
Unit- a unit starts casting an ability
Condition-
Triggering unit has buff 'Cloaked' equal to true
Action-
Unit- Add ability 'Ghost'

Why wont it work?

Level 3
I once played a map where if you had two items of always invisible you could attack while clocked.

Level 5
???

now it's

Events:
Advanced- Any Unit is Issued any order
Conditions:
(Issued Order) Equal to Night Elf Demon Hunter- Activate Immolation
Actions:
Unit- Add Ghost to (Triggering Unit)

Blagh, now it wont let me activate the trigger >.<

Level 19
Every Second
Pick Every Unit in Map with Cloak ability
if picked unit has cloak buff add him ghost
if not remove ghost from him

No this wont lag

Level 5
Blah. Now it's

Events:
Time- Every 1.00 Second of Gameplay
Condition:
Actions:
Unit Group- Pick every unit in (Units in (Playable Map Area) and do (Actions)
-Loop- Actions
--If- Conditions
---Triggering Unit has buff Cloaked equal to true
--Then- Action
---Unit- Add Ghost to Triggering Unit
--Else- Action
---Unit- Remove Ghost from Triggering unit

What am I not finding/missing??? >.< I avoid working with triggers for this reason, but this is the only way to solve this problem

Last edited:
Level 9
The thing is, you want to catch the event of a unit casting the dummy ability ("immolation") but you want to check if the ability being cast is the correct one via a condition ("if ability being cast = "Cloak"") and then give it ghost ability. Do the same for when it deactivates it, except remove ghost ability instead.

The event is: When a unit starts the effects of a spell or ability

The condition: Ability being cast equal to DUMMYSPELLNAME

The Action: Add Ghost to (Casting Unit)

Level 5
*Mad Troll Batrider Laugh inserted here*

The only dif was the 'picked unit' distinction? Why didn't I think of that?

Then I realize I'm a ubernub to triggers >.< DAAAH!

Anyway, thanks for the help guys, now my wraiths and Ghosts are as good as done! *checks that off the list, prepares the next thread*

Level 19
put "Custom script: set bj_wantDestroyGroup = true" at top of trigger
if you didnt use a way to remove leak

Level 19
Its the "letting unused objects to fill your memory"
Each time you use an unit group action, it creates an unit group and never destroys it again, so it stays at memory (ram) and when it happens many times game starts to slowing

Level 3
The Warcraft III Ability Guide - Wc3campaigns
Apiv, Agho, Aeth (Permanent Invisibility, Ghost, Ghost Visible): These abilities make units invisible without the tradeoffs of setting them invisible with triggers. Often this is a better solution than pausing units or adding locust. Units with permanent invisibility will lose their invisibility temporarily while they are attacking. So the ability can be used to create units like spirit wolfs at level three. Units that have both Permanent Invisibility and Ghost stay hidden, even while they are attacking. The Aeye (Sentry Ward) spell adds permanent invisibility to the summoned unit automatically by the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.