• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Save/Load System Poll

Which variant to you prefer?

• Unristricted - Saved SP chars can be loaded in multiplayer games

Votes: 12 60.0%
  • Restricted - Only MP chars can be loaded in multiplayer games

Votes: 8 40.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 13
Hey there,

I need your support for making an important decision on the game's save & load system design.

Well, while the game will feature a save/load system for character equipment, at this point, however, I'm not sure how to set the compatibility for singleplayer vs. multiplayer. For instance, in Diablo, you cannot use your singleplayer character in multiplayer games. I could just implement it in the same way, or decide against and provide compatibility between singleplayer and multiplayer characters. So there are 2 basic variants:

1) No restrictions. You may load the equipment you've saved in a singleplayer game in a multiplayer game as well, and in reverse. This means, you can farm some good equipment on your own and use it later in multiplayer games.

2) SP and MP are separated (like in Diablo). Saved equipment is bound to the game type. You cannot use equipment saved in singleplayer games for multiplayer games. So if you want to build up a highly-equipped multiplayer character, you will need to farm your equip in actual multiplayer games. This variant probably encourages players to play more MP games.

Please participate on this vote and let me know which variant you prefer.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Level 13
A little update

OK, I've used this sunday to do some coding. This is just a short notification that the save/load system is now fully implemented. The following things are saved:

- hero inventory
- bag inventory
- safe inventory
- item charges
- gold
- ancient crystals (replaces lumber. This will be a new very rare resource, you can use in the later game to buy very powerful items)

By community decision, the save games are compatible between singleplayer and multiplayer.

I've also finished a little bag-system so that you can take out a knapsack to store some additional items. The knapsack has its own inventory so you just can move your items to it. If you keep on moving, the knapsack is automatically wrapped up so it works very smooth.

Attachments

• saving.jpg
    saving.jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 258
Level 2
I suggest one.

When Game Save, Made folder include me and other players.

This will be problem possible, cuz other player's save code.

Level 6
To me MP is more fun and with the scaling based on players makes it just as enjoyable as single player (If not more). I'd prefer restricted but that's just my vote =)

Level 4
just disable cheats in single player e.g. not single player in local area network or battle net but in single player custom games.
You could also disable saving in single player.

I will check if you can save after cheating as I know the basic cheats and in fact used the once on your map after dying on wave 1 ( please don't hate me ) and couldn't load the save I make while cheating.

Also not that cheat codes don't work on battle net or local area network as they are disabled and cannot be used unless hacked , but I'm no expert on the matter.

Update : checked if games that you cheat in single player's save could be transferred to multiplayer

Couldn't load cheat single player save in multiplayer however could load cheat save in multiplayer however could load cheat save in single player.

used : iseedeadpeople (removes fog)
whosyourdaddy ( makes units invincible and do 2000x damage )
greedisgood 1000000 (gives near infinate money )

Last edited:
Level 13
I have done a quick research on cheat prevention. It seems there is no way to prevent a player from activating a cheat. However, I could easily punish players after they used a cheat. So yeah, I probably could just deactivate saving and set the score to -99999 or CHEATER or whatever.

Level 31
just disable saving in single player games. Only allow online games. It's easy to check if a game is single player or not.

I mean to say, allow LAN/b.net games, but do not allow games in single player mode >.>. There is no reason to allow games in single player mode, lol =).

I know everyone voted to have single player mode, but they are just a bunch of cheaters -.-. Ur poll is unbelievable, other maps disable save/load in single player mode, lol. Unless ofc you meant 1 player online vs multiple players online? In that case, allow 1 player. Multiplayer vs Single Player typically means single player mode in wc3 vs LAN/b.net.

Status
Not open for further replies.