• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Save & Load for a RP map

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 22
I have nothing made so far, but I'm mostly here to gather ideas and to receive feedback if this is possible to make and/or if it will function properly.

The idea:

In a RP map, in which you build Kingdoms, they sometimes become very huge and take even up to over one hour to make. I have been asked to implement a save & load system for the map (ability to restore a kingdom you have created once by using a code).

The easier part is the save code, I'd make the user himself enter the code, since by the nature of the map, others loading the kingdom of another player is not wrong at all, so complex systems for generating passwords are out of the question.

My main concern is, will the game cache be able to store a kingdom of this size? Here's a list of all the things it will need to store:

- Unit type of each of their units
- Location of each of their units
- Angle of each unit
- RGBA color values for each unit
- Size of each unit

There's probably several more values which I'm forgetting right now, but anyway, I'm simply trying to get an opinion on the complexity of a save & load system of this kind.

All input appreciated.

Level 12
Is this a single player map?

Anyway, don't worry about gamecache it can store everything you need.

Level 19
Impossible, your saving astronomical amounts of data. Only possible chance would be code less, which Nes's system would take hours to process and mine would take like 10sec (not released till nes is done with finals)

Why do you wanna save so much data anyway

E/ can't do game aches on multiplayer btw

Ur best bet is to save unit types by themselves and just load an army instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.