• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Safe place to download Warcraft II Sound Files

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 23
Hihi guys,

Sorry to bother you all, i was just wondering if anyone knew of any 100% safe places to download warcraft II unit sound files. I have found links on the internet, so its not an issue of not being able to locate them, its just that after using hive for so long and not needing to look elsewhere for resources, i am suddenly very uncertain of downloading files from other places (basically, i am scared if i add the .wav sound files to my world editor, it will suddenly become corrupted).

Thanks for your time guys!

Level 11
@tulee Do you own a copy of Warcraft II? If so, in the game folder, you will find a .exe file called SoundEditor (for the older version) or W2SOUNDS.EXE (for BNet Edition), which you can run to extract sound files. If Blizzard allowed us to do that, I suppose they don't mind us using these sounds (provided it's not for a commercial use of course)

In addition, I remember reading in a thread here that Blizzard didn't mind if their sound material was used for WC3 custom maps (like WoW music for example). Apparently someone contacted Blizzard and they replied that (I don't remember where I read it and who wrote it, so I don't know if this statement is reliable)

My opinion is that it wouldn't harm anyone if some Warcraft II or WoW sounds were used, as long as it's for non-commercial use only and it's not overused in the map. But there is still the matter of Hive rules...

Reactions: pyf

pyf

pyf

Level 32
In addition, I remember reading in a thread here that Blizzard didn't mind if their sound material was used for WC3 custom maps (like WoW music for example). Apparently someone contacted Blizzard and they replied that (I don't remember where I read it and who wrote it, so I don't know if this statement is reliable)
Source / link, please?

If Blizzard allowed us to do that, I suppose they don't mind us using these sounds (provided it's not for a commercial use of course)
My opinion is that it wouldn't harm anyone if some Warcraft II or WoW sounds were used, as long as it's for non-commercial use only and it's not overused in the map. But there is still the matter of Hive rules...
Being officially allowed to play / extract the sounds of Warcraft II for private use, does not mean being allowed to redistribute them over the Internet. Therefore, downloading any part of the game from any unauthorized source is not ok imho.

As for the inclusion of some resources created by Blizzard in custom WC3 maps / campaigns, we are allowed to do so, provided that credit is given to Blizzard. The trick is, one theoretically has to extract such resources himself / herself from their own copy of the Blizzard games. This is why I mentioned the shareware version of Warcraft II, which is free to download.

General Resource Rules

Level 11
Source / link, please?
I tried to find the thread I read that statement from, but I was unsuccessful. The person who wrote it didn't provide any source either, so... Hence my warning about reliability! :p I'll see if I can find the original post.

Being officially allowed to play / extract the sounds of Warcraft II for private use, does not mean being allowed to redistribute them over the Internet. Therefore, downloading any part of the game from any unauthorized source is not ok imho.

As for the inclusion of some resources created by Blizzard in custom WC3 maps / campaigns, we are allowed to do so, provided that credit is given to Blizzard. The trick is, one theoretically has to extract such resources himself / herself from their own copy of the Blizzard games. This is why I mentioned the shareware version of Warcraft II, which is free to download.
I agree about not redistributing Blizzard material all over the internet. That's why I also mentioned the sound extractor made by Blizzard, so the OP could do it himself and not count on unauthorised sources.

Thanks for the link to the resources rules, I wasn't sure about the use of Blizzard content. I read many contradictory opinions about this, and I thought it was forbidden to use anything else than WC3 content.

Source / link, please?

General Resource Rules

I love being a pirate. The more illegal, the better.

Status
Not open for further replies.