• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Trigger] rotating damage area - need help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
hi, and thanks for taking the time to read this.

im currently making a map which involves a boss at one point standing at one point and rotating, while he is doing that a beam is coming out and rotating with him.

now i can get that all to work fine by having an invisible wyvren circling the area and having the boss (and beam(beam being a peasant with the level up graphic put on its side)) face the invisible wyvren every .1/.25/.5 (matching the speed set for the circling wyvren) depending on how fast i want the beam rotating at the time.
~thanks to the great tutorials ive found on this site :D

the only thing i cant get working now is the damage..ive been trying multiple things but nothing seems to be working, i need something that will pick every unit between the invisible wyvren and the boss and deal damage to it every second or so the unit is in that region.

Level 13
You need to make a new trigger, and put it at initially off.
When the units casts the ability you turn the initially off trigger on.
The trigger itself is not too hard, you just want to let all the units that are between the casting unit and the wyvern to be dealt damage every second.

so periodic event:
Time - Every 1.00 seconds of game time

Calculate the distance between the two units, and put that in a real variable.
Set "your real variable" = (Distance between (Position of ("your casting unit")) and (Position of ("The wyvern unit")))

Then deal the damage to the units between the two units:
Unit Group - Pick every unit in (Units within "your real variable" of (Position of ("your casting unit"))) and do (Actions)
Loop - Actions
Unit - Set life of (picked unit) to ((Life of (picked unit)) - "the damage value")

And thats it.

Level 2
hm, this may seem like a silly question

i was able to make the variable damageregion (variable type - real) and set it to the distance between the two, but i cant select that variable when doing the trigger "pick every unit in (region) and do actions" cause it only lets me pick region variables not "real" variables.

how do i fix that?

Level 6
Hmm dosent doing that pick every unit between the casting unit and wyvern in a circle radius? So if they are 1000 range apart, then all units within 1000 range radius from the point in between them will be hit? And since u do dat for every turn of the beam, wouldnt that stack the damage to those unaafected but are part of the 1000 radius anyways?

Well for me try picking every unit in 100 range radius and deal damage to that circle. Then make multiple circles towards one unit, sorta like doing shockwave from scratch, which is useful if you dont have a set amount of damage (such as dmg=agix2)....anyways goodluck

Level 13
IJJusion:
When you apply the action "Pick every unit in unit group and do multiple action" you click on the blue text that says "(Units in (playable map area))

A new window will open, now click on the field that says "Unit in region" next to the text function.

Scroll down and select the function "Units in range".

l33t5up4h4x0r:
It will pick all units within the range of the distance between the casting unit and the wyvern that surround the casting unit.

And since u do dat for every turn of the beam, wouldnt that stack the damage to those unaafected but are part of the 1000 radius anyways?

It doesn't stack damage, and as long as it in range it is effected, ones the unit gets out of the range, then its uneffected.

Level 2
here are some early pictures of how it works, after using the trigger you gave me, it picks everyone near the boss rather then just those under the beam.
hopefully these pics will show you what im trying to get (just need damage at the front beam the trailing ones will be removed when i refine it)

beam2.jpg

beam.jpg

Attachments

• beam.jpg
    beam.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 142
  • beam2.jpg
    beam2.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 127
Level 2
ok, got it all working.

last thing though..anyone know if its possible to remove the ground from 'rippling' as the invisible shockwave goes over it?

Level 8
I don't really have anything to contribute to this but damn was it funny ^_^ the simplest anwser is the best .... sounds kind of like a new episode of House

i have a question for yah, IJJusion, How did u make the Peasent with the model file of the level up animation on it's side?????? ^_^ nice job BTW

*EDIT* 8-] oooohhhhhhh

Last edited:
Level 2
i have no idea how to do it :p
i imported a "dummy kamehameha" (from the kamehameha spell map) and it has the "Max pitch angle (degrees)" set to "-90" on the peasant. if you try to change it..it goes to "0" and if you type in "-90" it resets itself to "0" again.

Level 1
You can always use carrion swarm, breath of fire, breath of frost, or crushing wave for the dummy spell since they all do the same thing, damage in a straight line. I guess impale might even work. Hope that helps. BTW nice concept for a boss.

Status
Not open for further replies.