• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Ronin

This is a Ronin model.
Give credit if you use it in your map.

Keywords:
Ronin, samurai, asia, japan, china,
Contents

Ronin (Model)

Reviews
General Frank: Model work fine and looks great. Very nice use of ingame textures.

M

General Frank:

Model work fine and looks great. Very nice use of ingame textures.

Level 6
Nice model. The only thing I don't like about it is the the skirt for the legs. It doesn't look like it fits with the armor there. 4/5

Off-topic
@Traxalmillion :You send me a PM about the lizard model of my avatar but you don't allow people to reply you.It's rather stupid but i'll answere you here.
The lizard model of my avatar is one of my custom war3 model that you can see in the gallery but i don't plane to release it before i finish and release my project where i use all these models.

Level 1
Lol. The model looks awesome. I like the straw hat. Very Samurai Jack-ish. Probably no one knows what that is so let me just say that hes a ronin with a straw hat. Anyways, nice work. 5/5

Level 8
Ooeeh!!! Great!! I do not who or what Ronin is... but i must use this! 5/5!

Hhmm... What should i call him... I know it! Ronin :gg:

(Added later)

A ronin (浪人, rōnin) was a samurai with no lord or master during the feudal period (1185–1868) of Japan. A samurai became masterless from the ruin or fall of his master (as in the case of death in a war), or after the loss of his master's favor or privilege.

Thank you Wiki :grin:

Last edited:
Level 3
Ronin: A samurai with two swords on his side: a longer samurai sword (i don't know it's name :S) and a shorter one, the Katana. That describes all samurai ranks at all.

What makes a samurai Ronin? The answer is easy. All samurais has a master or lord, we know that well. The Ronin has no master/lord, becouse he's been killed or died.

So the point is: Ronin - lordless samurai

Level 2
1st off I like this model, even if it historically doesn't make sense. Plays well and I like how he looks when he runs XD. I think if you're going to keep him Japanese, then maybe change the title to "Petty Samurai".

I know this is an old thread, but I figured I would say something. This is not a Ronin, because his garb and sword are not accurate for any period of Samurai existence. His sword is more of a Chinese broadsword than a Katana. Only Kyoto nobility kept any remnant of Chinese dress. And if we were to be talking about when Japan still emulated Chinese culture, that was before katanas.

As far as the debate about what makes a Ronin a Ronin, here is the answer. A Ronin is a Bushi/Samurai who is under no obligation to a lord. This can mean his lord died (but for a samurai not to avenge his lords death or not die himself is shame that makes him lower than Ronin) or that his lord has been banished. It can also mean that a Samurai born to a noble family, but with no clan to serve is a Ronin (common during the Tokugawa Shogunate years).

To sum up there are many types of Ronin, some called by other names. It's just a generic title used to be more derogatory than anything else. It's like "you don't have a job, your useless" (a bit like how cooli/kuli/whatever was used). Which in the case of a samurai, a whole day is supposed to be geared towards serving one's lord. It was used as a way to make fun of petty samurai too.

Also, most Ronin did not have more than one sword. The repair cost and status would usually be above them. A "Samurai" or "Retained Busihi" carries 3 swords showing his status:

1. The Katana - big sword
2. The Wakizashi - medium sword
3. The Tanto - small sword

I could go into the importance of the 3, but that would make this post even longer. Let's just say that if Samurai become Ronin, he would most likely not have the means to take care of himself outside of battle. So he probably would have sold one or all of his swords for that purpose. A perfect example of the differences between Ronin, if you don't want to read, is Akira Kurosawa's Seven Samurai. Note it is not called "Seven Ronin".

I don't know if it will get a lot of usage, only because of all the video game rips and Black Stan's stuff out there. I would use it, but I already have quite a bit of medieval Japanese and Chinese models. If I could vote, I'd give this 5/5, it looks killer.

Hopefully my HUGE post helped answer any lingering questions.

Last edited: