• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Roller Coaster Beta v.07

350tcnd.jpg
About
Build and Ride Roller Coasters. 1-7 players.
Not Locked, Made In GUI.

Game Modes

Free Build
Build and ride roller coasters.

Ai Challenge
An Ai Unit Request a coaster to be built, and the best coaster wins.

Features

Builder

Build Your Coaster
  • Place/Remove Tracks
  • Finish Coaster
  • Builder Rules
  • Auto Flat-ing
Customize Your Coaster
  • Track Color Changer
  • Track Model Changer
  • Name Your Coaster
Other
  • Full Coaster Stats
  • Full Camera System

Rider

Riding the Coaster
  • First Person View
  • Third Person View
  • Physics
  • Speeds over 1000ms

Other

Help
  • Game Intro Showing Major Basics
  • Question Mark Unit
  • Tips
  • Quest Menu
Conversions
  • Game Shown In MPH

Videos

Riding a Coaster

Explaining Game In Detail

Screen Shots

Building A Coaster

35mpml3.jpg

A Built Coaster

qyejih.jpg

A Built Coaster (Colors Off)

24pi982.jpg

Riding A Coaster First Person

23ixa9i.jpg

Riding A Coaster Third Person

28t8769.jpg

Project Group
Lead
Rover2341

Game Concepts, Game Modes
Rover2341
cheap_skank

Triggers
Rover2341
risk_fan2 (Physics Engine)

Art(2D)
Fat-Bum (Icons)
lindenkron (Skins)

Art(3D)
Mario_64
Bloody_Turds

Testers
supa-pimp
decus
kittix
danmanlo
Daskunk

Change Log

Beta .01-.07
*Ai Challenge Mode
*Controls are much more limited when you start but you can turn on advanced controls
Like being able to go upside down.

Old Change Logs

Version Alpha 2.7d
*Collision is 100% perfect now (You cant make tracks go into other tracks)
*You can now go to 150, instead of 200 as min speed.
*Many Bugs involving Players quitting mid game.
*Removed A unit that came out of reds coaster, that shouldn't have
*When players leave there units leave
*Player 3, had some Building issues, been resolved.
*Question Mark Has been Readded For all players but 6-7. (That will come at some point)
*Shows How many Tracks you've Built in the food section.

Version Alpha 2.7c
*Physics Have been greatly redone.
*Start Speed is Min speed. 200.
*Bug Fixed where cart would appear during ride and move it
*Question Mark Has been Disabled as Player 6,7 isn't built for it.
*Other Minor Bug Fix's.

Version Alpha 2.7b
*Gravity Has been increased by 100%
*Min Speed has been decreased by a bit.
*Build over 60% Higher Then before.
*Flags have been added to add to the feeling of moment.
*The Question Mark has been revamped and re-enabled.
*Less Flipping
*Stats Fixed on all Players.

Version Alpha 2.7a
*7 Players
*Build up to 1000 Tracks (Increase of nearly 100%)
*Minor Bugs Fixed

Version Alpha 2.7
*Fixed All Major Bugs, With Riding and building.
*Enhanced Rider Cart, To stay on Tracks (Flips Much less, but still some)
*Increased Min Speed by 100 MS, and Increased Start Speed by 50 MS.
*Smoother Rider Camera
*20%+ More Build-able Tracks
*Updated Physics Engine (added , G forces)

Version Alpha 2.6a
*Fixed Stats (Required a Tweak because of Physics engine)
*Fixed bug with "? mark"
*Updated and Fixed a minor bug in Quest Menu
*Fixed Camera Issues when on other players coasters
*Fixed Leek in show speed function

Version Alpha 2.6
*New Physics Engine
*Removed All Major Leaks (Jass is used for the leaks)
*Increased Max Speed
*Increased Start Speed
*Improved Rider Camera
*Rebuilt Several Other Functions Of The Rider (Much Cleaner Code)
*Fixed All known Bugs
*Added Functionality When Riding Others Coasters.
*Updated Quest Menu
*No Lag when clicking on spells for first time

Version Alpha 2.5a
*Added Color to Hot Key
*Revamped First Person Rider. (You should see the tracks better when turning)
*Lowered start speed and how fast you slow down/speed up on hills.
*Fixed Holes in park (You cant walk in peoples coaster area now)
*Fixed bug when riding others coasters
*Rare Tips Error Fixed
*Music Added
*More miss spelled words fixed.
*Fixed small terrain issues
*Removed Debug Text

Version Alpha 2.5
* New Terrain
* Park Coaster (A Roller Coaster That's in the center of the map for anyone to ride)
* Ability to ride others coasters
* Rider Slightly tweaked (Looks at tracks better)
* Improved Tool Tips (No More "Rotates xy angle...")
* Added a Unit that you can wounder the park with
* Fixed Speed issue (They used to start slow the first run, and then fast after. now they always start fast)
* Several Small Bug Fixes
* Several miss spelled words fixed.

Version Alpha 2.4

* Pick between 3 track models (1 New, and the old model brought back)
* Change the color of your tracks
* Cart Model Added
* Rider Camera Reworked (Much Better now)
* Fixed Coaster Stats
* Question Mark Unit added, to help new players to expert players.
* Loads of tweaks.
* All known Bugs Fixed.

Version Alpha 2.1 - 2.3
*Rebuilt 95% of every line of code and trigger, So it could be played by 1-4 players (very easy to change to 8 now)
(This was not easy.....It adds one more layer of complexity)

Version Alpha 2.0

*Added Skin To Track. (looks all wooden now, more warcraft like)
*Almost All new Icons.
*Better Tool Tips. (They still need some work)
*Added Hot Keys.
*Better Tips.
*You now speed up and slow down 50% faster. And start off faster. (It doesn't feel so slow anymore)
*Coaster Stats Updated
*Fixed Some Bugs And few more minor updates

Version Alpha 1.9

*Sky
*Larger area to build in
*Minor Terrain work
*Improved Stats For Roller Coaster
*Colored Stats
*Re did parts and added some functionality to the builder
*add functionality to the rider
*Re did Physics
*Tips (can be turned off)
*Revamped Quest Menu.

Version Alpha 1.7

*The Camera has been updated. and now doesn't crash. Also has more features.
*Its more easy to finish your coaster now.
*The Rider Function has been much improved. (That includes the rider cam, the cart moving on the tracks more correctly and a few others things)

Version Alpha 1.4
*Started map over from scratch, Official first release of it.
*Many if not most of the features from version Build 1.0-20 were not re-added,
for sake of making it easy to learn to play.

Version Build 1.0-2.0
*Proof of concept map
*Fully Working Builder Function
*Concepts of the rider were in place
*Many reworks of the controls, to find the easiest way for new players.

Keywords:
Roller Coaster Customize Ride Build
Contents

Roller Coaster Beta v.07 (Map)

Reviews
17:45, 21st May 2009 by bounty hunter2: Approved with a 3/5 (Useful) rating. You can find my full review at post #29.
Level 1
What's with the moderator's review?

This map deserves DC!

I'll rate you 999999999999999999999999999/5

And I would like to see another moderator's reviewing this map.

B00ker is right on this one : Just like Flight Sim / Mecha Isle etc. this map has altered the boundary of W3 adding new possibilities with intricate game-play allowing people to really feel like they're inside the action. Heck, at this rate, I wouldn't be surprised if some one manages to recreate a Warcraft version of SIMS or God knows what else. This simulator is brilliant, but I'm not gonna +Rep you because of your creativity and genius, but mostly...because of the way you talk in the YouTube tutorial - The short pauses followed by the "and your 'coaster riders wouldn't be so happy if..." parts : found it strangely entertaining XD
Getting a little off-topic, but I'll edit this with a full review probably some time tomorrow. But, no matter how the map-testing turns out, I'm gonna rate it 5/5! *Testing / Review pending*

Level 12
Well I have tried my best on it, but I am focuses mostly on the triggers. I asked around a few times but everyone that sent me terrain was even worse then mine.

But ya, it needs a face lift at some point, but unless someone else volunteers to do it. Its not likely to change for some time, if ever. :)

My next steps are till beta are
  • Improve Builder (Place more then 1 track at a time)
  • Make it easier to finish a coaster
  • Have players not start building in the corner of the map
  • Mini games

Then for Beta to Release
  • Game Modes
  • Support Beams (Depending on looks,If I can get the model, and If it slows game alot)
  • Improve Brakes in track, so all tracks connect a bit better.
  • Add Sound effects to the coaster (If I can find some, so far i haven't been able to)
  • Add Ability to express self by a spell when riding a coaster (sacred, happy) with sound.
  • Terrain update

Last edited:
Level 6
For the terrain, I'll ask my brother to make a prototype. Maybe you will like it. He's good on making uncommon terrains. Such as the one in a Space map I've made, where he has made a couple planets with it's atmospheres and more. He even made a City terrain, with lots of custom doodads. If I find it I'll post it so you can see some of his work. Hopefully this map gets the terrain it deserves!

Level 2
Great map. 5/5. I just wish people in the game would stay long enough to figure that out. Maybe you could but in an optional tutorial cinematic. Just a simple y/n command at the beginning or something like that.

Level 12
I just wish people in the game would stay long enough to figure that out.

This update was meant to change that. The biggest Issue people had in the past was finishing coasters, now that's Way easier. The Question mark now just shows 3 lines of Text per Question, that is very clear. The camera follows the track, so people don't have to learn how to use the camera.

More on your quote
I realized after I released this version, that it helped but not as much as i was hoping, The biggest thing this update helps is the finish area. The new builder is easier but they still have to get handle of the builder concept. I used to have other tutorials that showed the builder concept in the Question mark but everyone hated them, as i forced the people who clicked on it to sit thought it, In other words not one person during 3-4 months of testing that tried it was willing to watch it. So looks like, I need to add or change some functionality so even 12-16 year olds in the small amount of time they give it. 1-3 min, can figure it out.

Maybe you could but in an optional tutorial cinematic. Just a simple y/n command at the beginning or something like that.

Well if we look back at your first quote, about how you wish people would stay long enough to play, well they have much better chance by watching the intro even if they don't read the text. My bet is most would say no even on there first time. My testing proved that many questions players commonly asked weren't after the intro was shown. Also the fact its under 45 sec, I think its ok. Ill try to shorten it by 5-10 sec. But i don't want to shorten to the point its not useful.

Damn. This map is EPIC. *Dies*. Oh yea by the way... just to let you know if you haven't noticed... your picture says "Roller Coaster ver. Alpha 2.7", shouldn't you change it to 2.9b?

Thanks, And no I don't really care about the picture. Ill update it when i get to Beta 1.0 But thanks :)

New Version has a few minor bugs

There are a few minor bugs in the current version, I fixed them but I got more to do before update though.

Level 12
New Version. I spent large part of today on it.

You and now finish your coaster with a spell. It works about 80% of the time. Other wise is says failed and gives you suggestions on how to make it work. But you can always finish the normal way too.

Fixed alot of bugs too, that came with the new features.

Level 1
Nice map but should be beta.Maybe you could expand the gameplay and make a game like rollercoaster typhoon(if u know what it is).

Level 12
I plan on it. I have 2-3 bugs to finish fixing, And the middle mini games. Then the next update after that will be beta. :)

Make it Omega or normal release.

And fix this:
ERM... LOL? I just noticed when you look VERY closely at the roller coaster parts, they slowly decrease in fly high, very slowly... ^^

Level 12
Thanks for the feed back guys.

I realized just after I updated to beta, that it is mostly broke when playing the ai mode with more then 1 player. Ill fix this bug when I can. Also Ill update the mini picture next version or so too.

Game Versions

Build - Proof of concept, all major functions (smoothness isnt important)
Alpha - Game Base
Beta - Game Modes
Release - Full Featured Game (For this game 3 Game Modes that don't just run stable but have had some time to hammer them out to be more smooth for players)
After Release - Fix Bugs/(Continue to Hammer out game (modes/base))/Add additional Features ect.

For this game the game base may have been done over a year ago. But it took me a good year to hammer it out. Fixing bugs along the way and Getting to a point that its easy enough for a new player to figure out how to use the controls less then 1-3 min. I added Many Many things to make this possible.

Learning Curve
  • Game Intro (Tells game basics, under 30 sec)
  • Game Mode Intros (Tells Game Mode Basics, under 15 sec)
  • Question Mark Unit (Took a long time to get this to be useful, I tried many things)
  • Build 3 tracks instead of 1 (Making turns simpler and easier, advanced controls are still there for players who want it)
  • Building Info (When a Player Does something wrong It tells them what they did wrong)
  • Improved Icons
  • Hiding Customization tools when building a coaster.(After you finish you can change name, color, track type, ect)
  • Auto Flat-ing of Track (If player builds into ground it auto flattens)
  • Finish Area (Has been greatly reworked)
  • Finish Button (Attempts to finish your coaster)
  • Upside Down Button (By default you wont go upside down, as its for more advanced players)
  • Tips (They show every min or so)
  • Changing start area so players don't start building in a corner.
  • Auto Camera (Camera follows you as you build, but can be turned off)
  • Multiboard (Showing how many tracks your at and can still build)

My biggest fear was that the game would take to long to pick up on its own, and adding game modes would add even more to the learning curve. My upcoming game mode, Theme park mode, Has a bit of a learning curve of its own even with out knowing how to build a coaster but i feel the game is now easy enough that players will be able to handle it on there first game.

Game Smoothness

The game up to this point, has always crashed some and been fairly buggy. I have hammered that out pretty good I feel. That doesn't mean when I add new features they wont have bugs, but those features are very unlikely to change the game core. The core Is very firm.

The game has had an ok rider, but in the last year its gone a long way, in improved physics to much better rider camera. I still feel the camera could be improved but Its fairly strong.

Things That didn't make the cut For Alpha

• smoother tracks
  • support beams
  • better placed flags
  • ubersplat shadows
  • a loading screen
  • sound effects
  • A way express self while riding
  • people getting in cart
  • Custom Terraining
  • Better Map Terraning

They may come at the end of beta or after release, if I ever get to these things at all.

Last edited:
I've decided i'd like it if i had a "-options" like command, so i'd be able to set min speed, max speed, max track height, and such, i dont know, i had alot of fun just making an insane roller coaster after removing all bounderies and setting min speed to like 4x.

Also, you could make it if the track went higher then the camera it could just tilt the camera facing upwards, so you could see it, basically just the same camera that would happen if you rode it that high.

Level 12
Fine, I was working on a 100% remake of the game in vJass its geting there and has support beams and better connecting tracks. But I been really busy with my job.

But ill get a new picture up soon. I might just fix the 2 bugs left in this game add a new pic and take it out of beta. And just update the games bugs but stop updateing new features.

Level 19
I find it pretty amusing, it reminds me of those 'Roller Coaster Tycoon' games except that you don't really need to pay for it and it has constant updates:)

Plus, it's made in our all wonderful game Warcraft III.

Zulabar

Z

Zulabar

Really an awesome map.
And srsly, the RCT Wooden and Steel coasters ar crap compared with this.
Please, start playing NoLimits if you REALLY want to create coasters. :)

Anyway...
Like i said, it is an awesome map. You have very good opportunities to build loopings.
I am trying to find out how to build a Zero-G-Roll or a Cobra Roll... It is kinda difficult.
It would be easier if there was something like a "roll" function, which banks the track
for about 15 or 30 degrees. :D

LG

Level 11
Really an awesome map.
And srsly, the RCT Wooden and Steel coasters ar crap compared with this.
Please, start playing NoLimits if you REALLY want to create coasters. :)

Anyway...
Like i said, it is an awesome map. You have very good opportunities to build loopings.
I am trying to find out how to build a Zero-G-Roll or a Cobra Roll... It is kinda difficult.
It would be easier if there was something like a "roll" function, which banks the track
for about 15 or 30 degrees. :D

LG
OFFTOPIC!!!!!

Even if RCT is crap compared to this there is official news of RCT 4 and Atari asked the fans for what they want in RCT 4,everyone said to make it smoother or make it like nolimits.I myself said add an easy to use model creator for RCT 4 only.

Level 14
Make the rider a kid so it looks 99999 X more awesome
Edit: You can also finish the mini games

Level 31
Roller Coaster is a map that actually let you build your own trail and experience your work.
Some might said the map didn’t age well other said map would have age like fine wine if the creator still work for the map.
Its Uniqueness definitely a high point here since the camera work are decent and being able to have customization.
So what prevent it from being a fine wine? The replayability is low expectations. Example, you are heading to an amusement park, roller coaster were design to have a wild trip that brought joy or fear depend on how good the coaster it. But after gone through it once, the feeling won’t be the same. This came up to the map itself let you do it depend on the flow you want to be expected.
A good builder wouldn’t just built 10+ of hoops and waves all the time. You have to build a speed first so it will follow the flow. The implementation of speed system is phenomenal but I bet that logic still there as well. In one sense, you can’t build a 90 degree of angle if that was the part when the coaster is at 120 km/h (anyone order a final destination 3?). I don’t know physic well but that is possible for coaster just straight off the rail.
Nonetheless this map originality is a plus and near accurate to the actual roller coaster. (4/5) If the map is boring to you, that is your fault. x3

Level 25
First of all, this map has a great concept and is really unique. I am really impressed with the system especially that you can easily finish the roller coaster automatically.

Some feedback:
  • "Challange" instead of "Challenge" in the beginning.
  • "preferences" is written wrong during the speech.
  • Speaking Medivh talks too long in the beginning. Reduce the time.
  • Building straight seems to work only if you were on the ground. Otherwise, it builds either up or down depending on the previous build.
  • Building up and down does not really rotate the pieces for me. The just go forward and are placed on top of each other.
  • It would be nice if you could configure the base speed of your roller coaster, so players can experience it a bit faster?
  • Increase the field of view with the camera. Maybe limited by Warcraft.
  • Use the new Reforged natives to hide the UI during the ride.
  • Due to Reforged hotkeys are shown twice now.
  • Add some driving sound effects from a real roller coaster including screaming people when it goes down really fast.
  • Allow quick exits from roller coasters during the ride.
  • Allow optional collisions/crashes if turned on.
  • It would be nice if AI comes and visits/uses your build roller coaster and rate it somehow. You could spawn some units visiting it using it and then giving feedback with floating texts and then somehow calculate a score. The current challenge mode is rather confusing. Other than that, there is not much going on if you are playing it in singleplayer.