• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Roguecraft v61

Choose from over 40 different heroes in this 4 player co-op roguelike RPG.

FEATURES:
- 20 stages of enemies, traps, and bosses
- Scaling difficulty for number of players and leavers
- Multiple specializations and builds for every hero
- Difficulty and Hardcore options
- Many secret hero unlocks
- Randomized shops, enemies, and modifiers
- Custom weapon and armor types
- Game restarts automatically for replayability
- Variety of treasures and items
- Testing for max level builds in Arena mode
- Kick options for afk players
- Multiboard displaying information for all players
- Strength Heroes: Brewmaster, Hunter, Battlemage, Gladiator, Paladin, Death Knight, Barbarian, Artificer, Knight, Dragoon, Guardian, Shredder
- Agility Heroes: Gunslinger, Scout, Thief, Ranger, Rogue, Blademaster, Dark Ranger, Assassin, Stalker, Predator, Dryad, Archer
- Intelligence Heroes: Warlock, Monk, Tinker, Priest, Druid, Shaman, Wizard, Bard, Conjurer, Changeling, Sorcerer, Keeper, Merchant, Mimic, Faerie

KNOWN ISSUES:
- Levels sometimes failing to complete under certain conditions when doing a second playthrough after completing the game
- Items disappearing after failing a level under certain conditions

PATCH NOTES: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Y_YBOAPAXkara0YBgWaNmHQ2FHA2GMBrDZPuSg_df8c/edit?usp=sharing

CREDITS:
- Map by: Butters711
- Icons by: De.Facto, Blizzard Entertainment, Praytic, HappyCockroach, Amigurumi, 8512590215848, kola, San, The Panda, inhuman89, Legal_Ease, Mc !, Uncle Fester, Deon, KelThuzad, ChirusHighwind, Golden-Drake, Pelsen, and Wildfire
- Models by: Ket, Kenathorn, assasin_lord
Previews
Contents

Roguecraft v61 (Map)

Reviews
Innovative idea. I've played similar custom games on Warcraft 3 before, but this one beats those all. Love the amount of work you've put into it. To my surprise, I didn't spot any bug in it. It is very enjoyable and fun. Please continue to work on...

Deleted member 247165

D

Deleted member 247165

Innovative idea. I've played similar custom games on Warcraft 3 before, but this one beats those all.
Love the amount of work you've put into it. To my surprise, I didn't spot any bug in it. It is very enjoyable and fun.
Please continue to work on it. I'm sure you'll add even more cool content in it! :D
Those beings said, this one is approved and with a maximum rating from me.

Level 7
Innovative idea. I've played similar custom games on Warcraft 3 before, but this one beats those all.
Love the amount of work you've put into it. To my surprise, I didn't spot any bug in it. It is very enjoyable and fun.
Please continue to work on it. I'm sure you'll add even more cool content in it! :D
Those beings said, this one is approved and with a maximum rating from me.
Thank you so much! Appreciate it <3 I'm looking forward to posting some of my other projects as well

Level 2
Encountered a bug with the druid hero. If it's the last hero standing while it is transformed during a trap room, the level is considered failed and leads to a hard lock on non-hardcore playthroughs; the druid hero will not spawn in the waiting room and we cannot restart or retry the stage.

Level 2
So with the new version adding hunter as a normal hero, the code that was previously used to unlock hunter (earned by clearing on any difficulty) no longer work.

I just finished a 2-man game with both players getting royal dye and got the password for occultist, is this the new hero for clearing teh game on normal, or do we only get 1 password if we clear the game with multiple objectives? Before when I did a game on Hard mode, we'd get two passwords, one for hunter and another for stranger

Level 7
So with the new version adding hunter as a normal hero, the code that was previously used to unlock hunter (earned by clearing on any difficulty) no longer work.

I just finished a 2-man game with both players getting royal dye and got the password for occultist, is this the new hero for clearing teh game on normal, or do we only get 1 password if we clear the game with multiple objectives? Before when I did a game on Hard mode, we'd get two passwords, one for hunter and another for stranger

The unlock requirements for the different unlockable characters has changed, as Hunter was added as a regular hero. There is no longer a hero unlocked by completing the game on both hardcore mode and hard difficulty at the same time. However, Version 35 caused a bug preventing all unlockable characters from working. I have posted a new version, 35b, that should fix the issue.

Level 2
I mean i just finished a game with 2 players on easy mode, with both of us having the royal dye and we only got a code for one hero. Before when we finished a game on hard mode, we got two unlocks (one for completing the game for hunter, and stranger for completing it on hard mode.)

We unlocked occultist and I was wondering if that was the reward for clearing the game on any mode, or for clearing with everyone having royal dye

Level 7
Any Difficulty: Occultist
Hard Difficulty: Stranger
Hardcore Mode: Dungeon Master
All Players have Royal Dye: Demon

If all players had the royal dye, you should have fought a different final boss. When I tested it just now, I was able to get the boss to spawn. I'll look into possible bugs if it didn't spawn for you.

Level 7
I mean i just finished a game with 2 players on easy mode, with both of us having the royal dye and we only got a code for one hero. Before when we finished a game on hard mode, we got two unlocks (one for completing the game for hunter, and stranger for completing it on hard mode.)

We unlocked occultist and I was wondering if that was the reward for clearing the game on any mode, or for clearing with everyone having royal dye
So, I discovered the source of the bug. The Royal Dye was sometimes not working properly when there are multiple players. I've included a fix in the new patch (36.)

Hi butters,

First of all, cool game! I've been playing it quite a bit!

I came here to point out some flaws, such as the selectable backpack in the fountain that contains tons of items you can drop and equip, resulting in a full inventory worth of end-game items after a few rounds. (v39)

Also, when repeating the game (hardcore, beating 20), the rooms are not always cleaned properly. I.e. my goblin tinker construct remained in a trap room we died in. (v39)

The number system for unlocking heroes is cool and all, but it makes it almost pointless to beat it yourself, the codes work for everyone, so I believe it would be cooler to lock them to a save file under your account name.

Additionally, for some suggestions -

I think it would be nice to see some type of random room generator for mob floors; after a few play-throughs it starts to feel static.

I also think the scaling on party members is a bit too loose; for instance, with 3, the Abomination first boss has ~13k HP, while with 2, he has closer to ~6k. It felt incredibly easy going from 3 -> 2.

Speaking of bosses, the first 3 bosses seem to be the same each time, it would be great to see randomized bosses for those levels. Whether this is done for different modes, or just random seed chances, it would be a nice touch.

Everyone going the same hero is fun, but feels kind of stale from a gameplay perspective. It would be nice to see only one hero of each type be allowed to be chosen at a time.

It would be cool to introduce a small % chance to random a "secret" hero, or, give a small bonus starting item for the first time you random that is removed if you repick.

Some type of DPS meter would be a great addition.

Lots of the abilities in the game only scale off one stat and make the choice not so ideal for the heroes. An example of this would be.... dwarven marksman having intelligence based robotic summons. Or Dark Ranger having demonology/necromancy available where her entire other class selections base off agility. Maybe this is balanced around the fact you can gain at least 2 attribute points per round, one in 2 of your choice, i.e. str/agi int/str agi/int

Using the hammer on a treasure gained from a specific chest type removes it and drops a treasure chest below you, It would be nice to spawn in your inventory automatically, and also roll from items of the same category from the original item, i.e., "ambition treasure". I'd be willing to pay more for the hammer if that was the case.

Items should be able to stack, unless it's found to be too op, nothing worse than getting two bonus damage masks & you can't benefit! At least with the gem, you can dynamically change the bonus to get a minor value.

Purchasing the royal dye would be a lot cooler if you got a new model to go with it! Changing to pink doesn't feel worth it as a flex other than doing it once for the code for Demon hero.

Tooltips could use some updating to include what modifies the scaling value, such as Druid with animal form. I don't know how to make the Bear more powerful, as an example.

Keep up the good work! This map is really fun to mess around in with some friends. Looking forward to new additions :)

Level 7
Hi butters,

First of all, cool game! I've been playing it quite a bit!

I came here to point out some flaws, such as the selectable backpack in the fountain that contains tons of items you can drop and equip, resulting in a full inventory worth of end-game items after a few rounds. (v39)

Also, when repeating the game (hardcore, beating 20), the rooms are not always cleaned properly. I.e. my goblin tinker construct remained in a trap room we died in. (v39)

The number system for unlocking heroes is cool and all, but it makes it almost pointless to beat it yourself, the codes work for everyone, so I believe it would be cooler to lock them to a save file under your account name.

Additionally, for some suggestions -

I think it would be nice to see some type of random room generator for mob floors; after a few play-throughs it starts to feel static.

I also think the scaling on party members is a bit too loose; for instance, with 3, the Abomination first boss has ~13k HP, while with 2, he has closer to ~6k. It felt incredibly easy going from 3 -> 2.

Speaking of bosses, the first 3 bosses seem to be the same each time, it would be great to see randomized bosses for those levels. Whether this is done for different modes, or just random seed chances, it would be a nice touch.

Everyone going the same hero is fun, but feels kind of stale from a gameplay perspective. It would be nice to see only one hero of each type be allowed to be chosen at a time.

It would be cool to introduce a small % chance to random a "secret" hero, or, give a small bonus starting item for the first time you random that is removed if you repick.

Some type of DPS meter would be a great addition.

Lots of the abilities in the game only scale off one stat and make the choice not so ideal for the heroes. An example of this would be.... dwarven marksman having intelligence based robotic summons. Or Dark Ranger having demonology/necromancy available where her entire other class selections base off agility. Maybe this is balanced around the fact you can gain at least 2 attribute points per round, one in 2 of your choice, i.e. str/agi int/str agi/int

Using the hammer on a treasure gained from a specific chest type removes it and drops a treasure chest below you, It would be nice to spawn in your inventory automatically, and also roll from items of the same category from the original item, i.e., "ambition treasure". I'd be willing to pay more for the hammer if that was the case.

Items should be able to stack, unless it's found to be too op, nothing worse than getting two bonus damage masks & you can't benefit! At least with the gem, you can dynamically change the bonus to get a minor value.

Purchasing the royal dye would be a lot cooler if you got a new model to go with it! Changing to pink doesn't feel worth it as a flex other than doing it once for the code for Demon hero.

Tooltips could use some updating to include what modifies the scaling value, such as Druid with animal form. I don't know how to make the Bear more powerful, as an example.

Keep up the good work! This map is really fun to mess around in with some friends. Looking forward to new additions :)

Hey! Thank you so much for the feedback. I don't know how I didn't see this until now. I like all of your suggestions, and have considered many of them myself! It's great to hear people are enjoying the map, and I'm always open to suggestions / hearing about bugs.

• The backpacks being visible is a bug that has since been fixed in version 40, which will be posted most likely later this week.
  • I wasn't aware of the rooms not being cleaned after beating the game and restarting. I'll look into fixing that.
  • I don't mind the secret heroes being simple codes, as I often share them with others. Maybe I can add 1 or 2 more that require name specific codes
  • Having varied / randomized stages and bosses is a final goal of mine once I don't want to add any more content. Originally the game picked from a pool of stages for each level, but it resulted in uneven difficulty. I think I'll start by adding a second option for each level to add some variety.
  • Having all levels equally balanced for 1-4 players seems a little out-of-reach, so Ive been focusing on making the game feel best at 4 players, with results varying for less haha, but I can work on tightening up the balance for other numbers. I've also considered adding adjustable difficulty.
  • I've considered a dps meter / stat screen that displays after beating the game.
  • I designed abilities to require specific stats intentionally, as it forces a variety of stat builds. Also, stat gains are equalized across all heroes (+1 to all each level), so it's always possible to dip into 2 stats equally
  • I think I'll change the hammer to add to inventory to avoid confusion
  • I want to add protection against duplicate items, and also add many more. Making some of them stack would be possible too.
  • Royal Dye is basically just for the unlock and for a different final boss, but maybe I can add more fun effects to it
  • I'll make a second pass at all the tooltips to avoid confusion. Most state the calculations on them, but I omitted some to avoid long descriptions. I should just make all 100% clear

Once again thanks for the feedback! I took a break from working on the map for a bit, but have had fun returning to it.

Last edited:
Level 7
Is it possible to solo it? I just randomly went Druid and pretty much got my ass beat up 😂
Solo-ing is definitely possible, but some classes are significantly better at it. I recommend strength heroes with the ability to heal themselves. Heroes that can summon are also good choices. However, the game is designed around a 4 player group, so sometimes difficulty can spike unevenly with less people.

Level 13
I played this for a few hours the other day and I must say the map has as very pleasing level of polish. I find it very similar to Varcklen's Boss Battle but instead of bosses every level there's creeps and/or traps to deal with instead. I do have some constructive feedback however:
  • I find a lot of the hero abilities not very interesting. At its core the map favours slow paced fighting with a heavy emphasis on Warcraft 3 mechanics (abusing pathing, kiting enemies, dropping aggro, stunning enemies to stop them chasing, focus targeting). A lot of the abilities are point-and-click and require very little decision making.
  • Further to the above a lot of the ability upgrades are relatively simple or boring throughput increases (and many of them are unreliable procs). Judging from the content of the map you should be able to make these modifiers more exciting to use.
  • Also from what I could tell is that all the Q skills for intelligence were offensive. I played as a support quite often and as a result had a Q button I never used (until I got infinite mana).
  • With Life Tap you can reach a point where you never run out of mana with a healing spell due to the amount of max mana and max life each point of intelligence and strength give - you can make more mana than you need to spend on healing yourself.
  • The loot table seems very plain and small. Considering the number of roguelike games there are out on Warcraft 3, let alone outside of Warcraft 3, one would expect diverse loot with crazy and fun effects. That said, all of the items that are in the game do feel impactful (as in, you notice a big bump to your hero's performance). Another saving grace is you can share items, so if you get something totally bland for your hero, you can give it to an ally. But I must warn you on this, that in this kind of game, pooling items onto 1 player can create balance problems.
  • Trap levels seem kind of weird. The level that had both traps and monsters at the same time was exceptionally good - kiting enemies through danger gives a great opportunity for players to show their skills. The trap levels should be more like that in my opinion rather than the death runs.
  • Also reviving with Ankh just to die instantly (whether to enemies or traps) is pretty bad design - virtually any other game in existence will give you a grace period where you don't take damage. Please add this.
  • I had a team mate "tank" with the mana shield ability - it seemed woefully underpowered, and that was with 2 teammates providing mana support.
  • The specialization that permits +1 to all stats I found to be very overpowered: the max life, max mana and armour you get from spamming stats all game long turns you into a formidable frontliner with high health, armour and mana. Granted your damage will be low, you are unlikely to die on the creep waves.
  • Having additional statistics (like damage dealt by player) would be useful for players (and you as a developer). If the map already uses a Damage Engine it would be easy to incorporate.
  • I found the custom music quite jarring. If I wanted to listen to Darkest Dungeon I'd go play Darkest Dungeon! Thankfully, I could turn it off.
I would also add positive feedback:
  • The way heroes have spells is quite cool and relatively novel: 1 innate ability plus two pairs of 2 abilities determined by the buildings you choose. Once I grasped the map, I only ever built custom heroes, it felt more fun and gave me better freedom.
  • Quite a large pool of abilities to choose from (even if the flexibility to choose what you want is limited).
  • The map seems pretty balanced for the most part. Player power seems to scale appropriately as the game progresses (on standard difficulty).
  • As mentioned above, the map really does reward players who are experienced with Warcraft 3 gameplay mechanics.
  • Shops are relatively simple which is a good thing usually.
  • Small stages are nice.
  • Just overall a fun map. Will play again :).

Level 7
I played this for a few hours the other day and I must say the map has as very pleasing level of polish. I find it very similar to Varcklen's Boss Battle but instead of bosses every level there's creeps and/or traps to deal with instead. I do have some constructive feedback however:
  • I find a lot of the hero abilities not very interesting. At its core the map favours slow paced fighting with a heavy emphasis on Warcraft 3 mechanics (abusing pathing, kiting enemies, dropping aggro, stunning enemies to stop them chasing, focus targeting). A lot of the abilities are point-and-click and require very little decision making.
  • Further to the above a lot of the ability upgrades are relatively simple or boring throughput increases (and many of them are unreliable procs). Judging from the content of the map you should be able to make these modifiers more exciting to use.
  • Also from what I could tell is that all the Q skills for intelligence were offensive. I played as a support quite often and as a result had a Q button I never used (until I got infinite mana).
  • With Life Tap you can reach a point where you never run out of mana with a healing spell due to the amount of max mana and max life each point of intelligence and strength give - you can make more mana than you need to spend on healing yourself.
  • The loot table seems very plain and small. Considering the number of roguelike games there are out on Warcraft 3, let alone outside of Warcraft 3, one would expect diverse loot with crazy and fun effects. That said, all of the items that are in the game do feel impactful (as in, you notice a big bump to your hero's performance). Another saving grace is you can share items, so if you get something totally bland for your hero, you can give it to an ally. But I must warn you on this, that in this kind of game, pooling items onto 1 player can create balance problems.
  • Trap levels seem kind of weird. The level that had both traps and monsters at the same time was exceptionally good - kiting enemies through danger gives a great opportunity for players to show their skills. The trap levels should be more like that in my opinion rather than the death runs.
  • Also reviving with Ankh just to die instantly (whether to enemies or traps) is pretty bad design - virtually any other game in existence will give you a grace period where you don't take damage. Please add this.
  • I had a team mate "tank" with the mana shield ability - it seemed woefully underpowered, and that was with 2 teammates providing mana support.
  • The specialization that permits +1 to all stats I found to be very overpowered: the max life, max mana and armour you get from spamming stats all game long turns you into a formidable frontliner with high health, armour and mana. Granted your damage will be low, you are unlikely to die on the creep waves.
  • Having additional statistics (like damage dealt by player) would be useful for players (and you as a developer). If the map already uses a Damage Engine it would be easy to incorporate.
  • I found the custom music quite jarring. If I wanted to listen to Darkest Dungeon I'd go play Darkest Dungeon! Thankfully, I could turn it off.
I would also add positive feedback:
  • The way heroes have spells is quite cool and relatively novel: 1 innate ability plus two pairs of 2 abilities determined by the buildings you choose. Once I grasped the map, I only ever built custom heroes, it felt more fun and gave me better freedom.
  • Quite a large pool of abilities to choose from (even if the flexibility to choose what you want is limited).
  • The map seems pretty balanced for the most part. Player power seems to scale appropriately as the game progresses (on standard difficulty).
  • As mentioned above, the map really does reward players who are experienced with Warcraft 3 gameplay mechanics.
  • Shops are relatively simple which is a good thing usually.
  • Small stages are nice.
  • Just overall a fun map. Will play again :).
Thank you so much for the feedback! I agree with all of your constructive feedback. However, I think if I wanted to do an overhaul of abilities and upgrades, I would save it for a sequel, but there are a few things in that list I can probably make happen pretty easily. I'm nearing a point where I think I want to wrap up working on this map and move on to new ones, but feedback like yours helps give me ideas on things that can still be adjusted. I would like to add more items to each loot table, an npc that lets you change the music, I can add a grace period to the ankh, and I'm thinking of adding alternate trap levels so it's not always the same. Some of the upgrades and abilities have been problematic for balancing to the point where I think only removing them would make it balanced, but I'd rather keep them in as options, and have kind of just accepted that not everything will be balanced. Once again, I'm glad you found that map fun, and I love the feedback. It's very much appreciated!

Level 4
I like the things you've added to this map, thanks for updating it. I had a pretty weird bug that happened at the end of a round at one point, I died to explosions placed by the modifier that causes enemies to place bombs when they die right when the round was ending, and it still counted the level as complete and went to the next round but I didnt get rewards, and the items in the inventory were deleted. No other issues though in the couple of games I played.
My only criticism of the map after playing a few games is definitely the trap room, specifically the 3rd room where there are both spikes and the spinning blades. Sometimes it feels like there is not tile you can stand on to avoid the spikes and blades at times and it can be a bit annoying to go through those rooms. Either way, thank you again for your work, this map is very entertaining.

Level 7
losing items on death feature or bug?
It's a known bug that I'm still trying to fix. I've had trouble replicating the issue, as it appears to only happen sometimes, and I have also recreated the system in which items are saved in multiple ways, but it still remains an issue. If you are able to pinpoint the exact conditions when it occurred, it might help me narrow it down.

Level 4
It's a known bug that I'm still trying to fix. I've had trouble replicating the issue, as it appears to only happen sometimes, and I have also recreated the system in which items are saved in multiple ways, but it still remains an issue. If you are able to pinpoint the exact conditions when it occurred, it might help me narrow it down.
I was playing on normal difficulty as Priest, we had a Death Knight and a custom strength hero, 4th player had left. We died and lost items. I had picked up the 4th players items, one of them was the consumable coin I forget the name. I also had voodoo doll, the custom hero had two of the scaling gem items, death knight had ring of protection, phase ring, and the +8 stats circlet. It happened more than once on different levels. I've never seen it before and this was the first time using the -lock command. Hope that helps

Level 7
I was playing on normal difficulty as Priest, we had a Death Knight and a custom strength hero, 4th player had left. We died and lost items. I had picked up the 4th players items, one of them was the consumable coin I forget the name. I also had voodoo doll, the custom hero had two of the scaling gem items, death knight had ring of protection, phase ring, and the +8 stats circlet. It happened more than once on different levels. I've never seen it before and this was the first time using the -lock command. Hope that helps
Thanks so much! The way the current system works, is that all your items are saved when you enter a level, then if you die, it removes all your items, then gives you a copy of all your saved items. That way, if you use a potion and then get game over, you'll get your potion back. The issue seems to be that it sometimes doesnt give you the items back. I think I'm going to try a fundamentally different system that only affects consumable items, so that way there's no way your treasures or other items can get deleted.

Level 4
Had an item dupe glitch happen with the Symbol of Sacrifice, after the tank with it died everybody got a duplicate copy of it placed into their inventory. Happened more than once.

Level 4
Thank you! I'll try to get that fixed for next patch.
Also had the item deletion glitch, we died a lot this run (hard difficulty) but we didn't lose any items until level 15.

On the symbol of sacrifice note, our inventories were getting filled with copies of the depleted version every time our tank died with it, and it was proccing more than once per level with him getting revived by our priest. We would get non depleted versions after beating the level and then sold the depleted versions for 5g and rerolled the normal versions with crafting hammers. At least it was fun :)

I really like the game btw, it's one of the few maps I play regularly these days.

Last edited:
Level 7
Also had the item deletion glitch, we died a lot this run (hard difficulty) but we didn't lose any items until level 15.

On the symbol of sacrifice note, our inventories were getting filled with copies of the depleted version every time our tank died with it, and it was proccing more than once per level with him getting revived by our priest. We would get non depleted versions after beating the level and then sold the depleted versions for 5g and rerolled the normal versions with crafting hammers. At least it was fun :)

I really like the game btw, it's one of the few maps I play regularly these days.

Thanks so much! I figured out what was causing it to duplicate, but I would need to rework the item to prevent a priest from infinitely reviving the person holding it. I'm going to make it no longer restore mana, and instead give armor and reset all ally cooldowns when the hero is killed in addition to the healing.

Last edited:
Level 4
Ran across another exploit (maybe). The pickpocket ability items you receive can be sold for 1g or stockpiled to make a level easier with repeat failures. Most notably is generating infinite gold (albeit slowly) with the sorceress vendor to buy skill tomes and progress past a level you're stuck on. Maybe this is fine because hard difficulty is hard but felt a bit cheesey.

Haven't seen the item loss or duplication glitch yet but I'll keep playing to find out.

edit; Also taunt seems broken. I've been able to taunt the boss once and kite him indefinitely until dead. Feels like in older versions the boss would just hit whoever was closest after a few seconds but now even when body blocked he keeps chasing long after taunt has expired.

Last edited:
Level 7
Ran across another exploit (maybe). The pickpocket ability items you receive can be sold for 1g or stockpiled to make a level easier with repeat failures. Most notably is generating infinite gold (albeit slowly) with the sorceress vendor to buy skill tomes and progress past a level you're stuck on. Maybe this is fine because hard difficulty is hard but felt a bit cheesey.

Haven't seen the item loss or duplication glitch yet but I'll keep playing to find out.

edit; Also taunt seems broken. I've been able to taunt the boss once and kite him indefinitely until dead. Feels like in older versions the boss would just hit whoever was closest after a few seconds but now even when body blocked he keeps chasing long after taunt has expired.
Good catch. By fixing the bug that removed your items, I believe I removed the function to prevent the keeping of pickpocketed items when you get a game over. I'm not sure about Taunt. I did not change anything about the functionality of the ability, but I can lower the duration of the effect to prevent that exploit potentially. Also, thanks again.

Level 4
Played through v53, two bugs I noticed.

The martial arts ability that lowers armor doesnt seem to be capped? Boss was at -33 armor or something, thought the max was -7. Maybe I'm wrong!

Secondly, the Philosopher's Stone cannot be rerolled with Crafting Hammers. When I tried it says "must target a treasure."

edit;

Me again. Think I kinda cracked the code for the game lol. I think the 1 skill to 3 upgrade point conversion is broken, especially when you can buy 1 skill point for 12g from the sorceress. Getting +5 stats every level (+1 from beating the level, +3 from the skill point conversion and +1 for the upgrade point) seems incredibly overpowered. Since the game is more focused on reward/punishing your build and less on skill or mechanics this sort of strategy breaks the balance of the game in my opinion. Just completed the game on hard with a Crusader/Priest/Gunslinger (priest left on level 16) and the Crusader/Gunslinger were abusing this strategy and finishing it out was very easy. Maybe require multiclass upgrade to get the 1:3 conversion, and/or reduce the conversion to 1:2?

Anyway just one more code to unlock for me :)

Last edited:
Level 7
Played through v53, two bugs I noticed.

The martial arts ability that lowers armor doesnt seem to be capped? Boss was at -33 armor or something, thought the max was -7. Maybe I'm wrong!

Secondly, the Philosopher's Stone cannot be rerolled with Crafting Hammers. When I tried it says "must target a treasure."

edit;

Me again. Think I kinda cracked the code for the game lol. I think the 1 skill to 3 upgrade point conversion is broken, especially when you can buy 1 skill point for 12g from the sorceress. Getting +5 stats every level (+1 from beating the level, +3 from the skill point conversion and +1 for the upgrade point) seems incredibly overpowered. Since the game is more focused on reward/punishing your build and less on skill or mechanics this sort of strategy breaks the balance of the game in my opinion. Just completed the game on hard with a Crusader/Priest/Gunslinger (priest left on level 16) and the Crusader/Gunslinger were abusing this strategy and finishing it out was very easy. Maybe require multiclass upgrade to get the 1:3 conversion, and/or reduce the conversion to 1:2?

Anyway just one more code to unlock for me :)
Good catch! There is another upgrade for the Wither ability that lowers armor that is capped, but the marial arts one is not. I'm planning on making them both cap at the same amount for clarity. You have a good point about the stat conversion. I initially added it to make getting more skill points possible to get the mastery and multiclass upgrades at the cost of stats, but I havent really played around with doing the opposite, and just trading all skill points for stats. I can make the conversion rate 1 skill point -> 2 upgrade points, but keep the 3 upgrade points -> 1 skill point, or I can simply remove the ability to change skill into upgrade points, but keep the upgrade to skill point conversion the same.

Level 7
Maybe just up overall difficulty and buff skills to compete better with stats :)
I can add a very hard mode haha. I think I'll just leave the skill point conversion as is. If people want to use it to make things easier, that's honestly fine. I'd like to make a second pass at buffing some skills though. If you think any are particularly underpowered, I'd love to know. There are definitely some I've never seen people take.

Level 4
Just ran through very hard on solo with Gunslinger. Had to kite a bit more in the early stages but once I got Secret Weapon upgrade and Multishot the 1:3 conversion still carried hard. Will report back once I get a full group through it to compare the difficulty with people using not optimal builds vs solo.

Level 2
I'm not sure if this has been fixed yet or not, but I played a lot of this with a friend, and if you play the Merchant, you can go infinite gold at stage 2-3, if you save your points, and convert all skills into more stats, you can get the trader for +3 Intelligence and buy mana potions for all your gold, you get roughly 70 gold per hero that has a full inventory of potions.

Level 7
I'm not sure if this has been fixed yet or not, but I played a lot of this with a friend, and if you play the Merchant, you can go infinite gold at stage 2-3, if you save your points, and convert all skills into more stats, you can get the trader for +3 Intelligence and buy mana potions for all your gold, you get roughly 70 gold per hero that has a full inventory of potions.
That's a good point. I was aware you could do some shenanigans with mana potions and the merchant, but I did not realize it was that extreme. I think I'm going to need to change the appraise ability to a passive that scales off intelligence, but does not cost mana. For example, like every X mana will give 1 gold at the start of the round, so that way INT is still valuable, but you can't go infinite. Also, the converting skill points to stats seems to be causing a lot of balance issues, so I think I'm going to have to change that as well.

Level 2
I think, instead of changing how the Merchant works entirely, just make him scale better.
The way I thought the Merchant was going to work originally was "Weak early, scale into a beast"
But he really doesn't, he is either completely useless or a money printer, neither of which really feels great to play as.
I'd love to see the appraisal change that you mentioned, but build on top of it, convert Intelligence into bonus Health or Damage, or make talents for him to decide a path to build for - I'd wager that a more interesting Merchant could be the most fun Hero to play.

Level 7
I think, instead of changing how the Merchant works entirely, just make him scale better.
The way I thought the Merchant was going to work originally was "Weak early, scale into a beast"
But he really doesn't, he is either completely useless or a money printer, neither of which really feels great to play as.
I'd love to see the appraisal change that you mentioned, but build on top of it, convert Intelligence into bonus Health or Damage, or make talents for him to decide a path to build for - I'd wager that a more interesting Merchant could be the most fun Hero to play.
I like those ideas. I think adding additional talents on top of the Appraise change would be fun. Maybe some of them could cost high amounts of gold.

Level 2
Bugs:
Mimic deletes itself when copying lich/summons (likely deletes itself on many targets)
Abomination boss fight, can jump/hide inside 2 skulls on left of ramp to avoid boss completely (only some heroes)
Pickpocket tooltip in custom menu mentions getting items, but tooltip changes when you actually take the ability. (actually gives gold+mana refund)
Haunt/Arcane Blast can be used to snipe enemy groups without drawing aggro (likely any ranged aoe spell can do this, just the ones i know)

Cool map! Keep up the updates and hope to see more items/bosses/levels.

Level 7
Bugs:
Mimic deletes itself when copying lich/summons (likely deletes itself on many targets)
Abomination boss fight, can jump/hide inside 2 skulls on left of ramp to avoid boss completely (only some heroes)
Pickpocket tooltip in custom menu mentions getting items, but tooltip changes when you actually take the ability. (actually gives gold+mana refund)
Haunt/Arcane Blast can be used to snipe enemy groups without drawing aggro (likely any ranged aoe spell can do this, just the ones i know)

Great finds! I'll try to address each of these for the next patch.

Level 7
Bugs:

First 3 bugs were easy enough fixes. For the Haunt/Arcane Blast bug, I'm making it so targets not visible to you cannot be damaged by those spells, as well as slightly reduced their range to be lower than the acquisition range for enemies, which should solve the issue. I did this for the other ranged AoE spells as well.