• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Rmx vs Palaslayer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 17
Well Palas I'm not special effects master :p but I'd go for dynamic special effects (dynamic spiral) which move to the center rather than randomly appearing... and definitely use a model which leaves a trail behind

That would lessen the effects yet more impressive eyecandy, and would seem more in agreement with the spell idea ;)

And yes I get all you say...

Level 16
I got a comment to make:
RMX: I liked the effect of a portal that opened for those units,,
Palaslayer: You spell is really one i would use in-game,,
RMX: The effects were nice and not spammed,,
Palaslayer: Normally i would say an effect-spam, but it looked really cool!
RMX: MUI, Leakless (as far as i have seen) and bugless,,
Palaslayer: MUI, Leakless (as far as i have seen), but i got a bug report for you,,

I spammed the spell when among lots of footman,, i lagged, and when i could see normally again i saw this:
0 Palas Spell.jpg

Ratings:
RMX: 3.5/5
The spell effects are nice and a nice spell overal
Palaslayer: 3/5
The spell is Cool, i really liked it, but it bugs, that kinda gives you one less point,,
Sorry Palaslayer =\,, but unless you fix it, my vote goes to RMX,,

Level 24
there is not gonna be a poll anyway ;)

trying to fix it as soon as possible

as well, i'd like to mention that gui is never fully mui

@deut
hm, that special effect movement woul be an option, yes, maybe i am gonna do another version with a boolean where you can set whether you want it lke it is now or with dummy effects
as well ,you can change the effect in less than 5 seconds by changing the special effect variable

that bug really disturbs me. i think it would not appear if i'd use a seperate system for the jump rather than implementing it in the same trigger
thx for the report, a friend of mine mentioned it as well

i may use the system thing and update the spell again until midnight ^^

for the judging i'd liek to suggest the following points:

spell concept/idea - creativity goes here max 5/5

theme - does the spell fits the theme (darkness) max 5/5

triggering - well, this is a triggers and scripts contest max 10/10

overall aspects - usefulness, balanceing, use of special effects, documentation and so on (documentation though max 1 point more or less ^^ since we said none is needed)
max 10/10

final rating - everything together max 30/30

Level 16
vJass is also never fully MUI, even if you use a seperate timer for every cast, since NewTimer() also has an array max, and <STRUCTNAME> array also,,
A spell is considered MUI if more then 100 casts at the same time are possible,, (is what Spell Rules say)

Reactions: Rmx
Level 24
sry guys, i am not gonna update it again. i checked the whole spell and the only reason why it could bug is the DS_CheckGroup which should work perfectly. i do no tknow how to fix it and if it is a wc3 bug i haven't got the time to rework the whole spells.

if rmx wins, congratulations, but i think we both made good spells. i still do not know why mine bugs, though, when not spammed there oughta be now flaws in it.

thx for all your interest, hivers. :D

have fun. cya at the heroes competition.

Rmx

Rmx

Level 19
sry guys, i am not gonna update it again. i checked the whole spell and the only reason why it could bug is the DS_CheckGroup which should work perfectly. i do no tknow how to fix it and if it is a wc3 bug i haven't got the time to rework the whole spells.

if rmx wins, congratulations, but i think we both made good spells. i still do not know why mine bugs, though, when not spammed there oughta be now flaws in it.

thx for all your interest, hivers. :D

have fun. cya at the heroes competition.

I hope you also win .... :) .. ur spell is very cool also :) ..

Level 12
Well that's a little paradox:wink:
Since when one person loses, one wins, and if you both lose, both will win, which is impossible as you both losed, which is impossible since... for all eternity:p

(I'm just being annoying)

Level 30
The Judge's Review
Please note that the judging is based
on its challenge proposal and does not review
aspects like documentation.
Criteria of the judging are creativity,
triggering, general appearance and theme.

Palaslayer
Creativity: 3/5
Triggering: 10/15
General Appearance: 10/10
Theme: 1/5

Total: 24/35

First of all, you are leaking one unit group leak per cast.
Picking each unit of "Units in [...]" is avoidable by storing the "Units in [...]" into a group variable, using it to pick each unit destroying the variable afterwards.
However, this heavily decreased your possible marks for triggering although i am quite sure that you simply oversaw it.
Speaking of triggering, you tried to make your code more effective by storing the X/Y variables instead of the location.
This step is pretty much negated since you instantly recreate the location each 0.01 second out of the coordinates. You save one variable if you simply store the location.
Some small taste issues i noticed are that you used a lot of single location variables. It would be much more user-friendly for importing aspects when you decide to use a location array instead.
The other taste issue is the usage of setting a specific flying height at a rate of 10000000.00. Simply set the rate to "0" instead.

The spell itself looked and worked very "eye-candy", but the idea of pull 'n push is nothing new.
However, i was unable to find any aspect related to "darkness" in this spell, except the name.

Still, a very nice spell.

Rmx
Creativity: 5/5
Triggering: 14/15
General Appearance: 7/10
Theme: 4/5

Total: 30/35

Concerning the triggering, i found nothing greater to complain about except the usual GUI-related inefficiency and such.
However, i can just quote my sentence in the review for your opponent's entry, set a rate for the flying height to "0" instead of "10000000.00".
"0" pretty much sets the flying height instantly to the desired value.
A general tip, since you made a large settings description and setup, you could have included special effects there as well, although it's purely optional in this single case.
Just as Palaslayer used a lot of single location variables instead of one location array variable, you are using a lot of single integer variables instead of one integer array variable. The less variables, this counts especially for indexed spells, the easier is the import.

The idea and its concept is quite creative, and i was able to find the contest's theme represented in this spell.
Generally, the appearance of the spell could get some touch ups, the missile's flight looked quite awkward.
Next to that, the tooltip and its colouration should be overworked.

Congratulations!

Level 24
ehehe. i really messed this spell up. i think i switched too much between gui and jass, gonna prevent that in the future though.

Congratz Rmx! Though you won I think we both can do much better, I didn't like your spell much more than mine ^^

Good job paladon. Cya at hero contest.

btw who cares for rep and neg rep? i think we bet 20, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.