• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Rise of Winterchill 0.71m

After months of supposed inactivity, Rage Winterchill has amassed a rogue legion of demons, satyr, and undead to use in a fanatical strike against the Night Elves in an attempt to avenge Archimonde's death. After demolishing several elven outposts, he has stationed himself in the ruins of a former city, and is prepared to fight. The Elves are underprepared and doom lingers overhead; can you turn the tides of the battle?

Features:
* A high-level AoS with engaging, action-packed gameplay.
* Thirty completely
original heroes to fight with.
* Focus on
interesting abilities which take aiming/timing, and reward skilled players.
* Almost
no stuns/complete disables which leave your character helpless.
* Stat-based abilities which scale differently depending on your item build.
* Optional Tournament Mode with ordered bans and picks.
8 years of iteration and polish.

* Very
progressive item systems, designed for ease of use:
* Clearly organised Marketplace interface (see screenshots below) with full information about effects stacking and recipe components.
* No overlapping 'orb abilities': everything works on every hero and with every other item.
* 'Recipe' items will auto-complete if you already have enough gold.
* Type -i itemname to buy an itemname, saves time on searching (various other shortcuts available).
* Interesting items which improve ability fields such as Duration and AoE, to add more build options.

* Clean visual style without gaudy effects.
* All necessary information is contained within the map, no need for an external reference.
* Continued
on-demand support for bugs/balance fixes, though active development has ended.

Shortfalls:
* There are no AI/bot players in the map, nor any immediate plans to add them. Sorry!
* Large (8MB) file size due to lots of custom assets.

Screenshots:
(Plenty available below!)

Want to play?
* You can find players on the RoW Steam group.
* The latest versions are always on MakeMeHost.com.
* RoW takes approximately 50 minutes, and it's best played with at least 4v4. For 3v3 or less, the game will activate an all-mid mode.

More details about the game can be found on the Homepage!

Changelog:
* View it online here.
* Or find it in the map's quest menu (along with accreditations).

Video!
Check out recorded streams at the Twitch.tv channel.

Below, a video featuring out-takes from couple of games from 2012. Huge thanks to Sep for putting it together!

Related Content:
Softmints' other work includes:
* DotA Outland, which is this map's predecessor.
* Leraux, a single-player puzzle-adventure game.
* Lane-Pushing Games, a blag about AoS maps.

Keywords:
AoS, Winterchill, Rise, DotA, Outland, RoW, Softmints, Rise of Winterchill, DotA Outland, Hero, Heroes, Spell, Custom, Moba
Contents

Rise of Winterchill 0.71m (Map)

Reviews
18:41, 23rd Dec 2008 Rui: Not a bad AoS. Its bases were well covered up, but concretely, it did not come out so well. See my full review. With a full 3/5 (Useful), this map is Approved! 21:44, 16th May 2011 Cweener: Went back through it on...
Level 2
This game/mod/map is very good,definitely deserves a 10/10

Gameplay
The game is very smooth,very enjoyable and not easy to get bored of(which is always a plus).I don't seem to be finding any balance issues.

Terrain
Like most AoS,I can't complain about it being the forest,though i would appreciate it if you could change it a bit.

Triggers/Mechanics and Balance
The Hero Select and Shop system is very good,I'm glad i dont have the tavern again since it's really old,It feels like a standalone game altogether and very unique.The reccomendations(Diff(iculty)level)are very useful and are quite amusing,its not everyday you see things like that.

Overall this map deserves great attention to those who love RTS like Dota and LoL.Like i said,deserves 10/10

Deleted member 247165

D

Deleted member 247165

That "official end" just makes me cry dear Softmints! You created the most awesome AoS.Dota outland and Rise of Winterchill helped me understand what an AoS should offer! My creation War of Sanctity has some features similar to those from your abandoned project DotA Outland.(Nessa,Siriah,Elderwood,Spectre Knight) and some other items.I used the same concepts for some of them,reborning them into something more beautiful.It is sad that one of the best mappers stopped from working. :'(

Level 1
A moba where skills of the heroes are based on different stats, this is simply awesome.

But why is it possible to choose many heroes? is this a glich or its meant to be like this?

Deleted member 247165

D

Deleted member 247165

A moba where skills of the heroes are based on different stats, this is simply awesome.

But why is it possible to choose many heroes? is this a glich or its meant to be like this?

I suppose Softmints made it like that in order to test all heroes

Level 1
bro, do u still work on the map?

A rework on the map would be awesome, a little bigger, better woods and most of all fog wars.

Last edited: